• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Just build my PC two days ago.

The Define R7 by Fractal Design is really cool.

Installed a MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC, i7-9700F, 32 GB Corsair Dominator,
MSI RTX 2080 Super Trio X and a H115i water cooling solution by Corsair.
Was smooth sailing. Everything worked the first time, glad it went without issues.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
What's a good mid-priced graphics card that should last a while?

I'm currently still on a 750 Ti from ages ago.

Hoping to play Control, RE2, RE3 with at least on as stable 70+ FPS high and have some head room to support games in the next couple of years at 1080p with no problems.

Or is there something I should wait for? I'm thinking $300-$350 CAD

I'm not used to the CAD market and currency, so I checked on Newegg and you can get a GTX 1660 Super or a RX 5500 for that kind of money.

You'll able to play current gen games and next-gen with some graphical tweak I guess. But those cards are on the low-end side, what's your current CPU?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Was smooth sailing. Everything worked the first time, glad it went without issues.
That moment when the newly built PC posts on first try, and it feels like you've pulled off a magic trick.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I just want to thank everyone here. I hadn't built my own PC in over 10 years and it was a daunting prospect until I started lurking in this thread a couple of months ago. I now took the plunge and got myself a build for £800 with:
- ryzen 5 3600
- MSI X470 motherboard
- 16gb DDR4
- RTX 2060

I have a couple of fans coming too, any recommendations for optimising the cooling in an affordable manner?

the parts are all arriving within the next couple of days. Wish me luck!

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018

Waiting for the "'why didn't you get a Ryzen cpu" in 3 2 1....

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone have experience with paying less than full price on a Windows 10 key through sites like G2A or Kinguin?

I haven't had to pay for Windows in a very long time, are these third party sellers the way to go?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
That moment when the newly built PC posts on first try, and it feels like you've pulled off a magic trick.
I worked in that field, building PC's for a living,
and there were all kind of weird and odd problems, so I know exactly what do you mean with that lol.
Glad that everything worked smoothly, very happy with the setup.

Waiting for the "'why didn't you get a Ryzen cpu" in 3 2 1....
I am waiting for those too haha.
I am honest, I was always an Intel / nVidia guy, always had the best setup with those.
I know AMD improved in the CPU field but I always keep going with Intel.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Anyone have experience with paying less than full price on a Windows 10 key through sites like G2A or Kinguin?

I haven't had to pay for Windows in a very long time, are these third party sellers the way to go?

I've had experience with Kinguin & G2A before. As long as you go with a reputable seller its fine.
Of the two I enjoyed the service of Kinguin more, G2A was a hassle to deal with regarding a service I had with them

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Well, 3700X it is I guess.

That GPU news is a real bummer too. I have a 1070 at the moment, Still waiting for a GPU though.

Is there any real reason to go with a 570 board over a 450? PCIe 4.0 isnt enough. Hell any reason to get anything more expensive than the Gigabyte B450m
I'd recommend pairing a 3700X with a X570 instead of B450, more flexible if you want to upgrade to Ryzen 4000 later.
"Improved" is a huge understatement this time heh.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I'd recommend pairing a 3700X with a X570 instead of B450, more flexible if you want to upgrade to Ryzen 4000 later.

"Improved" is a huge understatement this time heh.
I know lol, AMD is now a threat to Intel to say at least, and competition is always a good thing.
I hope AMD can reach nVidia levels too someday, they are still lacking in this department.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I know lol, AMD is now a threat to Intel to say at least, and competition is always a good thing.
I hope AMD can reach nVidia levels too someday, they are still lacking in this department.
AMD is thoroughly giving Intel a beatdown at this point from top to bottom, all the way over to laptop, it's not even a competition any more. The 9700 is by all means, not a good buy today.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I was tempted to do the same as I've only owned intel cpus, but I could not ignore the tremendous value of amd's offerings. I currently await my AMD cpu for my next build.

i hope I don't get any DoA parts this time around. Was a nightmare with my first build.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
AMD is thoroughly giving Intel a beatdown at this point from top to bottom, all the way over to laptop, it's not even a competition any more. The 9700 is by all means, not a good buy today.

What is the equivalent of the i7-9700?
That is really good AMD is giving Intel a beatdown now, after so many years where AMD was so behind.

I was tempted to do the same as I've only owned intel cpus, but I could not ignore the tremendous value of amd's offerings. I currently await my AMD cpu for my next build.

i hope I don't get any DoA parts this time around. Was a nightmare with my first build.

What CPU have you ordered?

Yeah that was my fear as well, especially faulty GPU, CPU, Mainboard or even RAM.
Glad everything went smooth sailing.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Bought the noctua NH-U12A cooler and the nickel plate is scratched out of the box

Worth a replacement?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
That is really good AMD is giving Intel a beatdown now, after so many years where AMD was so behind.
The Ryzen 5 3600 is cheaper than the 9700, is equally fast in games, up to ~50% faster in computing tasks, and can be used on $100 motherboards from last generation, and that motherboard can support AMD's upcoming CPU with even faster single core performance.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

What CPU have you ordered?

Yeah that was my fear as well, especially faulty GPU, CPU, Mainboard or even RAM.
Glad everything went smooth sailing.
I've opted to get the 3700x (got a rtx 2080s coming as well). First build in awhile so I'm nervous.

Last time I got 980 that would pass out after an hour of gameplay (after 3 months) and I got a DoA Mobo. Brutal. Sometimes I wish I lived right up the street to a PC store. I would love to just walk in, buy my shit, and walk back out. Instead of waiting weeks just to receive another DoA/faulty part.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The Ryzen 5 3600 is cheaper than the 9700, is equally fast in games, up to ~50% faster in computing tasks, and can be used on $100 motherboards from last generation, and that motherboard can support AMD's upcoming CPU with even faster single core performance.

Oh I see, maybe I should think about AMD when I am building a new PC in the near future, that is pretty impressive.

I've opted to get the 3700x (got a rtx 2080s coming as well). First build in awhile so I'm nervous.

Last time I got 980 that would pass out after an hour of gameplay (after 3 months) and I got a DoA Mobo. Brutal. Sometimes I wish I lived right up the street to a PC store. I would love to just walk in, buy my shit, and walk back out. Instead of waiting weeks just to receive another DoA/faulty part.

That is a nice combination. Which RTX 2080 are you getting, which manufacturer?

Damn that is really a bad combination, especially when the MoBo and GPU fails you at the same time.
Yeah I know that feeling, I am glad I have the option to get my stuff in a store,
because of the corona crisis it was pretty difficult to get all the components,
especially with the whole delivery jazz, was horrendous.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
It's tough waiting. Sometimes I just want to buy the cheapest EVGA 2080 SUPER and call it a day...

I have a couple of fans coming too, any recommendations for optimising the cooling in an affordable manner?

What's your case?

Fans actually have a "side". The front/nice part of the fan sucks air in ("Intake"). The ugly/sticker/back side is the "exhaust". Good fans will literally have an arrow in the plastic mold, but otherwise you get the idea.

While the ideal is to have balanced airflow (intake = exhaust) in general aim for positive airflow. You want some fans on the front to suck air in and fans in the back to suck air out. Positive (more intake than exhaust) generally does better at expelling dust. It's rare to have a balanced airflow because the fan on the back of the case is usually small (120mm, 90mm, etc) whereas the front has room for 2-3 fans based on your case. So a common config is 2-3 up front, 1-2 in the back.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a Ryzen 3900x last night at 10pm from Amazon. It just got delivered. I ain't complaining but now I gotta stare at that chip without anything else for a week at least since stuff is still in process. This is gonna kill me.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not used to the CAD market and currency, so I checked on Newegg and you can get a GTX 1660 Super or a RX 5500 for that kind of money.

You'll able to play current gen games and next-gen with some graphical tweak I guess. But those cards are on the low-end side, what's your current CPU?
I just purchased a Ryzen 5 3600

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
It's tough waiting. Sometimes I just want to buy the cheapest EVGA 2080 SUPER and call it a day...

What's your case?

Fans actually have a "side". The front/nice part of the fan sucks air in ("Intake"). The ugly/sticker/back side is the "exhaust". Good fans will literally have an arrow in the plastic mold, but otherwise you get the idea.

While the ideal is to have balanced airflow (intake = exhaust) in general aim for positive airflow. You want some fans on the front to suck air in and fans in the back to suck air out. Positive (more intake than exhaust) generally does better at expelling dust. It's rare to have a balanced airflow because the fan on the back of the case is usually small (120mm, 90mm, etc) whereas the front has room for 2-3 fans based on your case. So a common config is 2-3 up front, 1-2 in the back.
My kids chose it because of how it looked so don't judge me but it's the DeepCool TX Mid Tower Tesseract SW. Thanks for the fan setup recommendation, I'll have a play.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a Ryzen 3900x last night at 10pm from Amazon. It just got delivered. I ain't complaining but now I gotta stare at that chip without anything else for a week at least since stuff is still in process. This is gonna kill me.
I know the feeling. My case and ssd (x2) came nearly the next day. Now I gotta sit here until my gpu and psu come today and then the rest of my stuff (Mobo, etc) comes by Sunday.
.*sigh* the waiting is truly the hard part.

mp77

Oct 27, 2017
I'm putting together my first PC in 8 years and welcome feedback on this potential build. I'm fairly committed to getting a 2080 ti even if isn't especially rational. I have a little more budget to play with so upgrades or change recommendations that are more expensive are ok. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xtXnK4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Dual OC Video Card ($1179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($26.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2095.88

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This might not be the best thread to ask in but can anyone give advice on how to fix my mouse? It seems to want to double click (left side) a lot and I went into the Windows 10 setting and that did nothing. I have iCue installed (M65 Pro), is there anytrhing in there I can try? It's geting rather annoying.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm putting together my first PC in 8 years and welcome feedback on this potential build. I'm fairly committed to getting a 2080 ti even if isn't especially rational. I have a little more budget to play with so upgrades or change recommendations that are more expensive are ok. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xtXnK4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Dual OC Video Card ($1179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($26.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2095.88

I'd go with
ASUS Prime X570-P $149.90
(or a B450 Tomahawk Max if you want to save some bucks)
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO $1214 after coupon (+$20 prepaid card by MSI)
(The Asus Dual isn't that great and the price difference is worth it imo)

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Haha, I was on an older i5-4430 since like 2014/2015 or something, so I'm hoping to do a full rebuild.

At the beginning of September I was on a i5-4460/RX480, I upgraded to a 3700X. Playing The Witcher III never felt so smooth. I'll wait for Nvidia/AMD new GPU's before upgrading my GPU

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying the 9700 is a great choice but it is significantly faster in games than the 3600 and as the 3600 is only 6 cores, the 9700's lead will only increase when games expect 8 cores.

you weren't thinking of the 3700?

the doombass

Oct 29, 2017
Looking for a bit of advice/recommendations for upgrading my old build from 2012. I have been out of the PC space for awhile now but would like to upgrade my machine as its super outdated.

Current specs: ASUS P8Z77-V LK, Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.70 GHz, EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 660Ti, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD

Looking at buying these upgrades: RTX 2070 Super, 500 GB SATA SSD, +8GB RAM (Limited to DDR3)

I am basically asking if this is even worth it or if I should just do a completely new build? I don't really care much for the next gen of GPU, just want something that will last me 2-5 years. From my research, the above upgrades should be compatible with my current motherboard but I don't have enough knowledge to know if I will need to do a complete new build or if this would be worth it.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

I'm on my 3rd Fractal case. I love them.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not saying the 9700 is a great choice but it is significantly faster in games than the 3600 and as the 3600 is only 6 cores, the 9700's lead will only increase when games expect 8 cores.

you weren't thinking of the 3700?
The 3600 has 4 more threads. And the common CPU gaming benchmarks don't usually reflect the full picture. Yes the 9700 is faster if framerate is your biggest priority like esports titles where GPU power is abundant and the CPU's ability to push more frames is more important, but most players will be GPU limited instead of CPU limited.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the Define 7 case and it makes me want to throw my Define R6 out with my next build already. The white-gray 7 with a slightly smaller form-factor looks amazing o.o

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Haha indeed. The Type C port is cool too. Case is really easy to open. No screws with the side doors only pull. I got the black case without a window.

Nice, that's great to hear! :D I'm getting really excited for my next build around 2021-2022! Not sure I'll go for the 7 though because who knows what else Fractal will make till then and I think I amassed enough experience and knowledge to go for a near-silent ITX build next time. I would love to see their take on a XBOX Series X style case.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Nice, that's great to hear! :D I'm getting really excited for my next build around 2021-2022! Not sure I'll go for the 7 though because who knows what else Fractal will make till then and I think I amassed enough experience and knowledge to go for a near-silent ITX build next time. I would love to see their take on a XBOX Series X style case.
A XBX X style case by Fractal would be awesome as well. You have already a build in mind ? What's your current one?

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB vs the 580 4GB version. Any thoughts if they're exactly the same price at £85?

It'll initially just be 1080p gaming.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'm finally saying farewell to my i7 2600k and looking at getting the Ryzen 7 3700X and pairing it with B450 TOMAHAWK MAX.

However, on PCpartpicker it states:

"Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

Am I going to bump into any problems here?

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
well, someone has already bought the 570 whilst i have dithered. 580 it is. I'm sure 4GB will be fine.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
A XBX X style case by Fractal would be awesome as well. You have already a build in mind ? What's your current one?

My current build is a 8600k paired with a GTX 1070 in a R6 White TG case. I don't really have a set build in mind yet but I've been thinking a Ryzen 4000 8c/16t paired with a mid-range RTX 3000 all put in a case not higher than my 24" screen paired with its stand. I'm honestly not confident making it through next-gen with 6c/6t only, I'm only gaming a 1080p 144hz VRR but I know my GTX 1070 won't last forever either even though I don't see myself upgrading to 4k anytime soon since I really don't want to exceed 24" on the monitor-side. Besides my current screen is only a year old. The only bummer will be that my 1070 has a custom-cooler and I really hope I can put it on eventual RTX 3000 cards.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The 3600 has 4 more threads. And the common CPU gaming benchmarks don't usually reflect the full picture. Yes the 9700 is faster if framerate is your biggest priority like esports titles where GPU power is abundant and the CPU's ability to push more frames is more important, but most players will be GPU limited instead of CPU limited.

Usually I think of threads over cores (multithreaded cores) as better for frame times (still important), but we have seen games that choke on insufficient physical cores (4 cores in Ubisoft games and previously 2c/4t) as well. This need will be mitigated by consoles reserving at least one core for their OS though.

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
8gb would be better as some games blow straight past that 4gb buffer like tomb raider.

An 8GB 580 would be ideal, but I won't get one of those for £85. They're refurbished cards from Sapphire with a full warranty. Both the 570 8GB and 580 4GB are the same price, but the 570 has already sold out, so will probably pull the trigger on the 580. Still a good deal.