• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yea wow. That's odd. And you definitely tried stopping the intake fans as well?

That's wild.

Yeah, I just double-checked the front to make sure. The front of the tower detaches to give access directly to the three fans there and I made sure the screws were tight and did the same thing with my finger across each, gently stopping them, and the sound's still there.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
ok question. right now I am rocking the ATI 5700xt and honestly i am in love with this card thanks to the latest updates its on bar with the 2070ti without ray tracing. which i do not care about since i got my card for like 280$ used ( the gigabyte one with 3 fans )

but in order to get better graphics than next xbox and PS5, what am i looking at here ? 2080 super or 2080ti and after ?

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the shopping experience at Microcenter is truly top notch. Excellent customer service too.

Unfortunately the prices aren't always the best. They are reeeeaaalllly tricky on their pricing. They have a ton of budget components and Inland, their own in-house brand. Like you can pick up a keyboard for $3.99 and flash drives for a few bucks. CPUs are cheap. SSDs can be competitive. But motherboards are mostly sold at MSRP. Then all of the other major components are sold at a HUGE markups. PSUs, RAM, coolers, and cases are the worst; this is where they make all of their money. GPUs are never discounted either. They are pretty good about price matching Amazon or Newegg but sometimes it can be like pulling teeth, or their policies change.

I get so sick of the "we're selling these CPUs at a loss" line that I get from their salesmen. No, you're not. Especially not when they've fluctuated up +20%.
Yeah there were a few things that seemed off price wise but most of the things they were beating everyone. I got a 3700X there for 269 and 3.5% sales tax.

Here is my build so far

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $269.99)
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Thermal Compound: Corsair TM30 3 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $9.99)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $289.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (Purchased For $119.00)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $204.00)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $102.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card (Purchased For $509.00)
Case: Thermaltake View 51 Snow ARGB Edition ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $189.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $124.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($30.00)
Custom: 5 x Bitspower 120MM RGB Fan (Purchased For $69.99)
Total: $1915.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-18 22:48 EDT-0400

Eventual Goals:
  • Upgrade Ram to 4 sticks of 32 or 64 GB
  • Upgrade to 3000 Series GPU
  • Upgrade to 4000x series CPU
  • Hardline water cool (still need to figure out how many rads I want to go with)
  • Maybe another m.2 or 2.5 SSD?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Zor You mean the ticking sound? That sounds like the pump (or maybe there is a more obvious sound I'm missing...) From the video it's unclear if it's easy to hear when the case is closed though.

ALSO: my facepalm of the day
Corsair RAM Light Enhancement Kit
You ever wonder why RGB builds use 4 DIMMs? It's because two of them have no RAM on them!

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Zor You mean the ticking sound? That sounds like the pump (or maybe there is a more obvious sound I'm missing...) From the video it's unclear if it's easy to hear when the case is closed though.

ALSO: my facepalm of the day
Corsait RAM Light Enhancement Kit
You ever wonder why RGB builds use 4 DIMMs? It's because two of them have no RAM on them!

I think it is the AIO pump

Thanks guys, any idea why it might be making a ticking sound? The one I had in before had horrible popcorn popping noise and they sent a replacement out to me, which I installed last weekend. It's been fine in all the time since then until earlier tonight when the PC starting making this ticking noise. And yeah, it's still easy to hear when the case is closed because, annoyingly, the top of the tower is open by design with a removable wire mess over it.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
normally I game on my PS4, but my friend offered me his old gaming Rig. I just want to know of it is a good price for the specs and if I should accept the deal.

Intel 4590
MSI GTX 1060
16GB Ram
120GB SSD Samsung Evo

Logitech G105
250€

It's an old system for sure. You'll be able to run games at 1080p, yes, although newer ones will probably need medium settings. I'd say the positive is that it has a GTX 10 series card, so although it's about as fast as a 970, it's a newer architectural step. I don't think there is a way to build a comparable rig for 250 Euro, so I'd say it's a good deal if you're interested in PC Gaming.

The only warning is that you can't really upgrade this later. The RAM/Motherboard/CPU would have to be replaced as a set.

What is the opinion on Radeon graphics cards these days?
How are the rx 5700 xt cards performing? Good value for the price?
Are amd cards still drawing a lot of power in comparison?

And did anything change regarding slots?
I have a r9 290 that I bought 2013. Can I keep using my motherboard?

Hardware Unboxed (Youtube) recently ran several comparisons. The RX5700 XT is on average about 7-9% slower than a RTX 2070 Super, but up to 25% cheaper. And it's distinctly better than a 2060 Super in almost all benchmarks. So it's a good deal, depending on the price of components in your market.

There was some driver problems going into January this year which caused a lot of heat for AMD. They've since released new drivers. In general channels like HBU haven't had any issues, but it's something to consider. For now folks like me are staying out of the Radeon loop as RTX 3000 is not too far away, but if you want an excellent $/perf card it's a good candidate. Power Consumption is much better than their old cards; avg about 218W. And you can still use your old motherboard; I'm not sure if it's PCIe 3.0 but generally it's all backward compatible anyway.I'd say the bigger concern is that if your CPU/MB are from 2013 you are likely to be CPU throttled and thus I'm not sure how much of an improvement the Radeon would be?

Alright, I'm currently eyeing this build. PC Part Picker said there may be some compatibility issues with the MB and CPU -- is that correct? If so, which MB is recommended instead?
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor = $279.99
  • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard = $159.50
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory = $109.99
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card = $338.96
  • NZXT H230 ATX Mid Tower Case = (already own)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply = (already own)
I also already own an SSD and HDD.

Total = 888.44

The Canadian dollar sucks :(

Ignore the warning. The TOMAHAWK MAX specifically supports the 3600, it's just that PCPP can't handle the fact that older B450 needed a BIOS flash to support it. It also freaks out at boards that have an LN2 power supply port, which virtually nobody actually needs to connect. So that build you list absolutely should work.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thanks guys, any idea why it might be making a ticking sound? The one I had in before had horrible popcorn popping noise and they sent a replacement out to me, which I installed last weekend. It's been fine in all the time since then until earlier tonight when the PC starting making this ticking noise. And yeah, it's still easy to hear when the case is closed because, annoyingly, the top of the tower is open by design with a removable wire mess over it.

Just a guess, but as I recall, I think the advice here is usually to remove the radiator and hold it so that the tubes are straight, to eliminate air gaps. If you do that for a minute or two it could help, at which point you then just reinstall the radiator into the case. (It's not a heat issue if you just boot into BIOS).

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing bubbles, since the air collects at the top of the radiator the pump could be sucking air bubbles thru the tubes.

Or it could be that the pump is noisy at full speed. I had a pump that I was powered by a SATA cable and I couldn't control the speed. One day it started to make noise that was only fixed after I got a cable that reduced the voltage it was getting.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So here's my PC everything is done and running smooth.

It does seem like overwatch on mid settings is making it run a little hot.
IBMX3oi.jpg

The highest I saw was CPU was 43-49C and GPU at 54-61C

non gaming is at : CPU: 44C GPU 36C

I checked online and it seems normal. I was just a bit shocked on how hot the side of my case was. I know my GPU is really close to my PSU but the other PCI slot doesn't match my case slots.

Says PC is running alittle hot.
Everything under 60 degrees.

Those are good temps for air.
Alot of air intels run in the 70s on load.
A bunch of GPUs have 60 as their target temp, but the hunt for silence leads a whole bevy of manufactures and builders into running them slower and easily into the 70+ realm.

ok question. right now I am rocking the ATI 5700xt and honestly i am in love with this card thanks to the latest updates its on bar with the 2070ti without ray tracing. which i do not care about since i got my card for like 280$ used ( the gigabyte one with 3 fans )

but in order to get better graphics than next xbox and PS5, what am i looking at here ? 2080 super or 2080ti and after ?

Why wouldnt a 5700XT make "better graphics" than the nextgen consoles?
You are pretty sorted.

Hell with a 2060 Super I think most owners will be able to glide most of the generation with DLSS.
I need the 3000 series announcement like yesterday.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I got a big improvement from using one Noctua NF-P12 redux on a Hyper 212 Black, so I'd imagine you'll get good results with two of these, although I'm told the Hyper 212 doesn't benefit massively from two fans.
Yikes, that's $30. I guess you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Noctua. How big an improvement are we talking over the fan that comes with the cooler?

Also, does it come in black? I don't bother with RGB in my build. My motherboard is the only thing with RGB in it, and I've been trying to figure out how to turn it off for months, because none of the BIOS settings seem to do anything.

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 760 GTX on my GA-P67A-UD3 motherboard, problem is it looks like it only supports up to 2.x PCI-e? Does that mean if I buy a newish GPU it's going to run slower because of this? I'm having trouble finding compatible cards.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 760 GTX on my GA-P67A-UD3 motherboard, problem is it looks like it only supports up to 2.x PCI-e? Does that mean if I buy a newish GPU it's going to run slower because of this? I'm having trouble finding compatible cards.
If you plan to upgrade your CPU and motherboard in the near future, get something modern like a 2060 or 1660Ti, but your current CPU will be a bottleneck. Otherwise, wait for new cards from both AMD and Nvidia.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Yikes, that's $30. I guess you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Noctua. How big an improvement are we talking over the fan that comes with the cooler?

Also, does it come in black? I don't bother with RGB in my build. My motherboard is the only thing with RGB in it, and I've been trying to figure out how to turn it off for months, because none of the BIOS settings seem to do anything.
I got a 10° drop in temperature at a lower speed (and lower noise), although I've got an odd case with a giant front fan that can push alot of air, so this could be an unusual result.

Unfortunatly Noctua's black fans are their premium (expensive) range and its only the gray and black fans that are relatively cheap.

There are a lot of cheaper fans available, but I've never seen any reviews for them and my own experience of cheap fans is they've generally got thermal/noise/reliablity issues, so I wouldn't want to trust them on a cpu cooler.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Anyone know why AMD has a super high lower limit to GPU fan speed? I tried to set it below like 40-45% or whatever it was and it refused. I had to use MSI Afterburner which seems like complete overkill for what I want to do (make the RX 570 not sound like a hairdryer when the GPU is running at sub 30 degrees C).

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

You should be able to buy a newish GPU and it should work. PCIe is backwards compatible. But it will be slower both because you went down a PCIe version but also because your CPU and architecture will bottleneck performance. Some anecdotal googling suggests 20% if you went to a 4-lane PCIe 2 slot.

Anyone? Would not be opposed to a CPU+MB upgrade to go with it. CPU is a 875k OC'd to 4.2~ I think

The GTX 670 is....ancient...anything would be better at this point. The GTX 1650 G6 (which means GDDR6 RAM) just came out, those should be around $150 USD. If that's even too expensive I would look into older or used products. GTX 1060 or something. Your setup will also be heavily bottlenecked by the 10 year old LGA1156 architecture though. Any CPU+Motherboard upgrade you do would also have to include RAM as the whole industry has moved onto DDR4 quite awhile ago.

The cheap "go-to" upgrade right now is a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max + Ryzen 3600 + 16GB of any DDR4-3200 RAM you can find. You can downgrade the CPU to the 3200G if you really need to save some dollars. And there are even cheaper motherboards out there, but it depends how wild west you are in builds.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hey guys,

My GF's cousin is wanting to put together a gaming PC for no more than $2000 Canadian total, including a new monitor. He also says he wants to buy windows legit, no ebay OEM keys.

This is what I've thrown together for him trying to get the best bang for buck.

Any criticisms/suggestions? The monitor is what I'm most unsure of. I'm firmly in the high-refresh-rate-is-best camp, and this monitor seems well reviewed and is on the gsync compatible white-list, so I think it seems good? I tried to find an IPS/144hz one but the prices just don't work out.

Also one of her other cousins and I just did 3800x builds in December, and bought custom coolers, so we're giving him one of our wrath prisms that we aren't using to replace the wrath stealth.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Dont worry too much about it.
We arent really anywhere at the limits of PCIEx16 on the GPU.

You will get a degrade in performance but not enough to panic.....P67 is really old right now, so buying something like a 2070 would be a waste because you would be severely CPU limited in games right now.
Realistically between 2.0 and 3.0 with current GPUs you are in margin of error territory.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

perfrel_3840_2160.png

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I can use either a GTX 780 6GB or a GTX 780 Ti (with only 3GB) in my weird PC setup.

Which should I use?

For a month I've been meaning to try each and run benchmarks (I literally have both cards in front of me), but I'm lazy and just want to pick one at this point.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Is this your mobo? looks like it's 2.0 16x? https://www.cnet.com/products/gigabyte-ga-p67a-ud3-b3-1-1-motherboard-atx-lga1155-socket-p67/

But yeah bandwidth limitations aren't a huge limiting factor. I've run higher gen cards in lower gen slots even back in the days where bandwidth was more limited.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can use either a GTX 780 6GB or a GTX 780 Ti (with only 3GB) in my weird PC setup.

Which should I use?

For a month I've been meaning to try each and run benchmarks (I literally have both cards in front of me), but I'm lazy and just want to pick one at this point.

It probably depends on resolution you're running. 1080p I'd use the Ti, higher than that I might go with the 6gb.

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
Is this your mobo? looks like it's 2.0 16x? https://www.cnet.com/products/gigabyte-ga-p67a-ud3-b3-1-1-motherboard-atx-lga1155-socket-p67/

But yeah bandwidth limitations aren't a huge limiting factor. I've run higher gen cards in lower gen slots even back in the days where bandwidth was more limited.

Yeah that's the one. Thanks for the advice, guys. I know my parts are all old but I've got my sandy bridge OC'd pretty high and I've been taking a look at my resource monitor when playing games lately: everything hovers around 40-50% usage except for the GPU which is stuck at 100%. I'm not sure I have the cash to do a full upgrade which is why I was looking at something like a 1660 for a temporary stopgap until I can upgrade everything at once.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Says PC is running alittle hot.
Everything under 60 degrees.

Those are good temps for air.
Alot of air intels run in the 70s on load.
A bunch of GPUs have 60 as their target temp, but the hunt for silence leads a whole bevy of manufactures and builders into running them slower and easily into the 70+ realm.

Why wouldnt a 5700XT make "better graphics" than the nextgen consoles?
You are pretty sorted.

Hell with a 2060 Super I think most owners will be able to glide most of the generation with DLSS.
I need the 3000 series announcement like yesterday.
becaue from the digiral foundry video i watched the other day, i gathered that the PS5 has 10Tfops while T5700xt has almost 9 and PS4 is based on RDNA 2 while 5700Xt based on RDNA1

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
it means the PS5 gpu is more powerful than 5700xt ?

i am not a tech guy i was asking what do i need to get same or better performance than next gen consoles.

We dont know the performance of the nextgen consoles.
There is no RDNA 2 GPU to even attempt to create a like for like test.

We have no games targeting the PS5 to check if the 5700XT could reproduce those results.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I think I'm gonna start buying some of the new parts for my new build next month. One question I had though: is there any advantage to having a HDD as storage other than price? I already have two Samsung 860 EVOs in my current build that I was going to use in my new build: a 250GB and a 1TB. I was also planning on getting a 1TB M.2 NVMe drive to use as my boot and primary storage for games and software. There's no disadvantage to storage setup, right?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
it means the PS5 gpu is more powerful than 5700xt ?

i am not a tech guy i was asking what do i need to get same or better performance than next gen consoles.
What you should do is wait.

Yes, the consoles are resetting the bar for graphics in Nov. They should have slightly better graphical capabilities than a 5700 XT. By my estimates, just about anything high-end that's more expensive than a 5700 should drop in value (worth) by about 33-40% once the new RTX 3000 cards come out too. That doesn't mean they're going to drop in retail price either. Just that the performance you will likely be getting with the similarly positioned new 3000 models will be that much better.

Think about $500 consoles with nVME drvies that are going to pull more than a 5700 XT setup. That's where we're at in November.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hardware Unboxed (Youtube) recently ran several comparisons. The RX5700 XT is on average about 7-9% slower than a RTX 2070 Super, but up to 25% cheaper. And it's distinctly better than a 2060 Super in almost all benchmarks. So it's a good deal, depending on the price of components in your market.

There was some driver problems going into January this year which caused a lot of heat for AMD. They've since released new drivers. In general channels like HBU haven't had any issues, but it's something to consider. For now folks like me are staying out of the Radeon loop as RTX 3000 is not too far away, but if you want an excellent $/perf card it's a good candidate. Power Consumption is much better than their old cards; avg about 218W. And you can still use your old motherboard; I'm not sure if it's PCIe 3.0 but generally it's all backward compatible anyway.I'd say the bigger concern is that if your CPU/MB are from 2013 you are likely to be CPU throttled and thus I'm not sure how much of an improvement the Radeon would be?
CPU is a 4th generation i7 4770K.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the one. Thanks for the advice, guys. I know my parts are all old but I've got my sandy bridge OC'd pretty high and I've been taking a look at my resource monitor when playing games lately: everything hovers around 40-50% usage except for the GPU which is stuck at 100%. I'm not sure I have the cash to do a full upgrade which is why I was looking at something like a 1660 for a temporary stopgap until I can upgrade everything at once.
1660 Super would be the perfect choice here.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Does someone use a big (30"+) ultrawide monitor? Thinking of getting rid of my dual monitor setup.
Does LG or Samsung make better ultrawide monitors? Anyone have recommendations?

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth

It used to be that you'd want to use the faster GPU over the one with more memory. I believe that is still the case.
Benchmarks from 2014 also confirms that in scenarios that would be the most likely to be limited by the amount of RAM (that being high resolution).

In short: Use the 780Ti.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
What you should do is wait.

Yes, the consoles are resetting the bar for graphics in Nov. They should have slightly better graphical capabilities than a 5700 XT. By my estimates, just about anything high-end that's more expensive than a 5700 should drop in value (worth) by about 33-40% once the new RTX 3000 cards come out too. That doesn't mean they're going to drop in retail price either. Just that the performance you will likely be getting with the similarly positioned new 3000 models will be that much better.

Think about $500 consoles with nVME drvies that are going to pull more than a 5700 XT setup. That's where we're at in November.

yes its impressive if the xbox series X able to get for 500$.

We dont know the performance of the nextgen consoles.
There is no RDNA 2 GPU to even attempt to create a like for like test.

We have no games targeting the PS5 to check if the 5700XT could reproduce those results.

That is not true. we do know an estimate performance of next gen consoles based on the CPU/GPU. thats why the Nvidia CEO said that their 2080 cards are more powerrful than next gen consoles ( duh ) but yeah the idea is that there is an estimate of next gen based on the specs we have.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys. Going to upgrade my rig with my stimulus check and have a quick question. Anyone have a good alternative x570 board to the Asus TUF Gaming board. It's oos everywhere.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys. Going to upgrade my rig with my stimulus check and have a quick question. Anyone have a good alternative x570 board to the Asus TUF Gaming board. It's oos everywhere.

Aorus Elite.
Prime-P.
Aorus Pro.

Tomahawk MAX or Mortar MAX if you dont need any of the X570 specific features.
X470 Taichi is actually a good board.

Deleted member 25834

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've committed and just purchased

• MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Next up once the prices drops a bit will be the R5 3600 and a 1660 Super (or whatever is priced decently at that time time).

It's been about 10 years since my last upgrade and I'm stoked.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. I don't really need the x570 features as of now, but figured I'd future proof a little.

Zen 3 is the last of the AM4 socket'd CPUs.
4.0 SSDs arent going to be worth much to average users especially at their price point when a CPU or GPU or even a RAM upgrade will yield much more tangible performance gains.
How much futureproofing are you expecting?

Because even right now there is no real world difference between 4.0 and 3.0.

For people who arent overclocking really high and/or dont have PCIE4 SSDs, X570 isnt really worth it.

X470 and B450 is the way to go really.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I faintly recall some thread weeks ago about newer GPUs using some new API to get interpolated IQ for relatively low processing power. Anyone of a link to that thread?
Nm
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry || Control vs DLSS: Can 540p Match 1080p Image Quality? Full Ray Tracing On RTX 2060?

Summary forthcoming DLSS 1.9 broke down under transparencies, resulting in ghosting and flickering higher resolution fixes subpixel breakup at the cost of higher cost (because higher res) 2.0 fixes subpixel detail issues like flickering movement also breaks 1.9 ghosting trail still exists in...

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Does someone use a big (30"+) ultrawide monitor? Thinking of getting rid of my dual monitor setup.
Does LG or Samsung make better ultrawide monitors? Anyone have recommendations?

I've never used a Samsung display but have used LG including an older ultrawide and it was solid. Right now I have the Alienware AW3418DW and it's amazing. I don't know your budget but I would highly recommend it because it's also reasonably priced. 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz.

LG does have some amazing gaming ultrawides including I think a fairly recent release, though that one is pricier.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Zen 3 is the last of the AM4 socket'd CPUs.
4.0 SSDs arent going to be worth much to average users especially at their price point when a CPU or GPU or even a RAM upgrade will yield much more tangible performance gains.
How much futureproofing are you expecting?

Because even right now there is no real world difference between 4.0 and 3.0.

For people who arent overclocking really high and/or dont have PCIE4 SSDs, X570 isnt really worth it.

X470 and B450 is the way to go really.
Just don't want to be kicking myself if those ssds become super affordable.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just don't want to be kicking myself if those ssds become super affordable.

Dont worry, you wont because there wont be anything to gain by going to 4.0.
THe PCIE3 chips getting cheaper and better will likely lead to 4TB affordable NVMes that make alot more sense than 970 Evo priced PCIE4

We are talking about like 100 dollars for a second or 2 less loading times?
You could push that hundred into RAM/GPU or going up a CPU class depending on where you are at right now.

319573_game-load-times-updated.png

You can also check this video out.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I got a quick question: will I see much of a performance boost going from Ryzen 1700 to 3700X? Or should I hold out a while longer before upgrading? I'm not in too much of a rush, but sometimes I feel my 2070s is getting bottlenecked.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a quick question: will I see much of a performance boost going from Ryzen 1700 to 3700X? Or should I hold out a while longer before upgrading? I'm not in too much of a rush, but sometimes I feel my 2070s is getting bottlenecked.

Wait for 4700x if your board supports it and upgrade. Probably the last chip you can put on your board.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Hey guys,

My GF's cousin is wanting to put together a gaming PC for no more than $2000 Canadian total, including a new monitor. He also says he wants to buy windows legit, no ebay OEM keys.

This is what I've thrown together for him trying to get the best bang for buck.

Any criticisms/suggestions? The monitor is what I'm most unsure of. I'm firmly in the high-refresh-rate-is-best camp, and this monitor seems well reviewed and is on the gsync compatible white-list, so I think it seems good? I tried to find an IPS/144hz one but the prices just don't work out.

Also one of her other cousins and I just did 3800x builds in December, and bought custom coolers, so we're giving him one of our wrath prisms that we aren't using to replace the wrath stealth.
  • Keep in mind you don't actually need to get a Windows Key. You can just roll unregistered for awhile.
  • Rest of the build makes sense for me.
  • I personally would opt for the Asus TUF VG259Q IPS 144hz panel instead. It's G-Sync Compatible, so it will work fine with your RTX 2060 card. A shame it's not a Super but at least it's EVGA KO...

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
  • Keep in mind you don't actually need to get a Windows Key. You can just roll unregistered for awhile.
  • Rest of the build makes sense for me.
  • I personally would opt for the Asus TUF VG259Q IPS 144hz panel instead. It's G-Sync Compatible, so it will work fine with your RTX 2060 card. A shame it's not a Super but at least it's EVGA KO...

Thanks for that monitor recommendation. Only $20 more than the other one!

True about windows. I'll let him know, I'm just going off of what he said to me about the windows copy.