• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to ask what the current prices of gaming PC parts are at these days.

Wondering if the current situation has resulted in cheaper prices or higher. I assume it would be the latter, but that's why I'm asking here.

I still occasionally think about upgrading my PC, so I was wondering if now was a good time or not.

Oct 29, 2017
Just wanted to ask what the current prices of gaming PC parts are at these days.

Wondering if the current situation has resulted in cheaper prices or higher. I assume it would be the latter, but that's why I'm asking here.

I still occasionally think about upgrading my PC, so I was wondering if now was a good time or not.

I was looking into upgrading to GTX 2070s and noticed cards are going out of stock. A card on the EVGA site went out of stock literally as I was looking at the product page lol. So if nothing else (absent price gouging) stuff is definitely getting snapped up. Made me pull the trigger on a 2070s right quick.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if DLSS 2.0 has the enthusiast crowd believing in current gen GPU's. Well nah, probably just stimulus checks being spent.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone else here have an Inwin A1 Plus case?
I have it and it comes with its own psu, though I want to replace the psu. I'm not sure if its a specific sized psu and can't find anything in the manual on how to remove the psu to replace it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a good, quiet PSU to power an inhereted Titan GTX and stumbled onto this:
www.microcenter.com

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply - Micro Center

Get it now! Since its launch in 2013, the EVGA SperNOVA G Series power supplies have been among the longest-lasting and best-performing power supplies on the market. Despite only a few changes over the years it's only fitting that it's time for an upgrade.

It seems like it might be the best thing I can find in this price range, but I've been struggling to find PSU recommendations, so anything you have I'd be interested in.

edit: oh, currently, I have a Corsair CX750m, but it's just loud. The fan never seems to stop and it's driving me crazy.

Oct 29, 2017
Looking for a good, quiet PSU to power an inhereted Titan GTX and stumbled onto this:
www.microcenter.com

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply - Micro Center

Get it now! Since its launch in 2013, the EVGA SperNOVA G Series power supplies have been among the longest-lasting and best-performing power supplies on the market. Despite only a few changes over the years it's only fitting that it's time for an upgrade.

It seems like it might be the best thing I can find in this price range, but I've been struggling to find PSU recommendations, so anything you have I'd be interested in.

edit: oh, currently, I have a Corsair CX750m, but it's just loud. The fan never seems to stop and it's driving me crazy.
It is tough to find the 760W model in stock right now. But there is a recent line of PSU by Fractal Design called Ion+ that has gotten excellent reviews for efficiency and low noise. They are hard to find even under normal circumstances because they are 80+ Platinum but priced like 80+ gold.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is tough to find the 760W model in stock right now. But there is a recent line of PSU by Fractal Design called Ion+ that has gotten excellent reviews for efficiency and low noise. They are hard to find even under normal circumstances because they are 80+ Platinum but priced like 80+ gold.
I see their 860w in stock for about the same price as the PSU i was looking at. Do you know if its similarly well regarded?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Okay, so kind of confused on this... I have 3200Mhz memory, but according to LTT I guess I should figure out how to make it run at 3600Mhz?

All fast RAM today has an "XMP" profile for the speed on the box. You just need to enable this (usually "DOCP" on AMD) and ensure the RAM is using that speed. If you really want to tweak AMD has another method (DRAM Calculator) but its a bit time intensive and stability will be an issue until you get the right settings. DOCP/XMP is just setting a BIOS Value to "on".

Thanks anyways! Seems like a missed opportunity but I guess optical drives are on their way out entirely anyways.

Many cases today do not even support a 5.25" drive bay...that being if you have more room than the DVD there used to be 5.25" memory card adapter bays. Never seen a DVD+SD combo though.

Is there a direct vent from the PSU fan? I'm really surprised that you can hear it...

In any case EVGA is well regarded. If you're hearing the PSU fan that suggests your rig is going well over 50% PSU utilization. Or that something went wrong with it?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a direct vent from the PSU fan? I'm really surprised that you can hear it...

In any case EVGA is well regarded. If you're hearing the PSU fan that suggests your rig is going well over 50% PSU utilization. Or that something went wrong with it?

Yeah, I think so. The case has a bottom mounted PSU, so the fan takes in air from beneath the case and pushes air out the back of the case. It shuts off now and then, but all I've been doing the past hour is watching Overwatch League and the PSU fan has shut off for . . . maybe a minute?

The case isn't under a desk, which might block some of the noise. It's sitting beside a couch and plugged into my TV at the moment.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yeah, I think so. The case has a bottom mounted PSU, so the fan takes in air from beneath the case and pushes air out the back of the case. It shuts off now and then, but all I've been doing the past hour is watching Overwatch League and the PSU fan has shut off for . . . maybe a minute?

The case isn't under a desk, which might block some of the noise. It's sitting beside a couch and plugged into my TV at the moment.

And it's not sitting on carpet or anything else that might obstruct the bottom vent? The fact that it's misbehaving like that suggests either (1) you need a new PSU with more capacity or (2) you should try flipping it around (exhaust-up) if you have a ATX/MATX case and use the case exhaust to pull out the air. This is not an uncommon strategy and newer cases with PSU shrouds usually have top ventilation for this reason. (obviously don't do that if there's no top shroud ventilation). It's particularly popular if you have a good exhaust fan strategy (for example on my Meshify C, two exhaust fans)

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And it's not sitting on carpet or anything else that might obstruct the bottom vent? The fact that it's misbehaving like that suggests either (1) you need a new PSU with more capacity or (2) you should try flipping it around (exhaust-up) if you have a ATX/MATX case and use the case exhaust to pull out the air. This is not an uncommon strategy and newer cases with PSU shrouds usually have top ventilation for this reason. (obviously don't do that if there's no top shroud ventilation). It's particularly popular if you have a good exhaust fan strategy (for example on my Meshify C, two exhaust fans)
Nope, it's sitting on linoleom. There's a vent filter on the bottom of the case, but I made sure it was debris free. The PSU should be pulling air through that filter and pushing it out through the back of the case. I can try the flipping the PSU, but the case actually has some kind of metal barrier between the Bottom Mounted PSU and the rest of the case. I'm not sure the case model . . .

For a little extra clarity, this case has the SSD mounts on that metal barrier, right above the PSU.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a ultra wide monitor under $400. It's so hard to know if a monitor is good or not. I really want at least 30"

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gah I just picked up a Dell prebuilt as a second TV rig. I know I'll barely use it as I've already had a similar set up. I may have to cancel it. 9700 and 2070 super for $1069 seems like a damn good deal though, and it's literally impossible to build anything close to as small for anywhere near that price point. I dunno maybe I'll even just part out my main rig and throw it on the desk. It's faster than my 8700k and 5700 xt lol.

It's this guy. Crazy small. I know it isn't super upgradeable but honestly neither is the 8700k rig at this point. Can only really move it to a 9900k and that's all I'd be able to do with the Dell as well. and that's not an upgrade even worth doing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Nope, it's sitting on linoleom. There's a vent filter on the bottom of the case, but I made sure it was debris free. The PSU should be pulling air through that filter and pushing it out through the back of the case. I can try the flipping the PSU, but the case actually has some kind of metal barrier between the Bottom Mounted PSU and the rest of the case. I'm not sure the case model . . .

For a little extra clarity, this case has the SSD mounts on that metal barrier, right above the PSU.

Ah, then you can't flip it. Only flip if there is an air path.

Sounds like your PSU is working too hard, which is either a capacity or a brokenness issue...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much longer my 6700k will be a bottleneck. I have a 2080Ti, and plan to get an ampere when they drop. I game at 4k. Intels next chip seems uninspired, which means I'll probably go AMD. Was considering Ryzen 4 once that drops, but it'll be their last on the current chipset. Bleh.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, then you can't flip it. Only flip if there is an air path.

Sounds like your PSU is working too hard, which is either a capacity or a brokenness issue...
Would the Titan be a big idle draw, something that pushes this PSU into needing it's fans? I wouldn't have thought so, while I'm idle and the GPU is barely being used.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Wonder how much longer my 6700k will be a bottleneck. I have a 2080Ti, and plan to get an ampere when they drop. I game at 4k. Intels next chip seems uninspired, which means I'll probably go AMD. Was considering Ryzen 4 once that drops, but it'll be their last on the current chipset. Bleh.

Would the Titan be a big idle draw, something that pushes this PSU into needing it's fans? I wouldn't have thought so, while I'm idle and the GPU is barely being used.

It is a big power draw, and requires 650W minimum on load, but on idle is only like 90W. Considering you are getting a new PSU anyway I would aim for 850+ and the best rating you can afford (gold or plat), as PSUs are most efficient around half load. But that's more of a "spray the single cockroach with a bottle of bugspray" solution. It's just very rare for a PSU to be so noisy.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is a big power draw, and requires 650W minimum on load, but on idle is only like 90W. Considering you are getting a new PSU anyway I would aim for 850+ and the best rating you can afford (gold or plat), as PSUs are most efficient around half load. But that's more of a "spray the single cockroach with a bottle of bugspray" solution. It's just very rare for a PSU to be so noisy.
That's what I'd have thought, too. But it seems the Corsair CX series has a bit of a noise problem, though obviously it must depend on the rest of your set up.

Ah well.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I wrote here a few days ago about an issue with my monitor and DisplayPort; I can't say I have fixed it per se, but I do think that the issue is the power connector of the monitor. It seems that it can wiggle or get loose a bit too much, and it seems that's not appreciated by the DisplayPort (which I assume requires more power than HDMI). I have looked around online and it seems some other people have had similar problems with this type of monitor.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
I've got a weird request but I was hoping someone in this thread could help me out: Are there any blu-ray/dvd drives that also have an SD card reader built into them? My current drive died and I was really hoping I could get one more dongle out of my life. I can't find anything on newegg or amazon.
While there aren't any combo units you can buy 5.25 bay adapters that have space for a slim dvd drive + a 3.5 slot for card reader units.

The one I use

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a weird question, but is it safe to leave a SATA cable plugged into a PSU (fully modular), without the cable itself being plugged into any other devices? I like to wait awhile before I add the SATA SSD from my current PC into my upcoming build, but I also like to have all my power cables situated during the build if possible.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be a weird question, but is it safe to leave a SATA cable plugged into a PSU (fully modular), without the cable itself being plugged into any other devices? I like to wait awhile before I add the SATA SSD from my current PC into my upcoming build, but I also like to have all my power cables situated during the build if possible.

I'm not an electrician but I would assume that it's set up to be fine just like anything else. Nothing pulling any load from the other end I can't see it doing any real harm.

Like based on how anything else works there's actually dramatically more risk of something going wrong by having something plugged in on the other end.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if DLSS 2.0 has the enthusiast crowd believing in current gen GPU's. Well nah, probably just stimulus checks being spent.

Also a bunch of tech youtubers basically created the very problem their videos were supposedly trying to avoid.

Stocks shouldnt be affect by the virus as companies have contingencies....but just in case its better to buy NOW.
Are you telling us to not panic buy or telling us other people will panic buy so we might as well panic buy?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also a bunch of tech youtubers basically created the very problem their videos were supposedly trying to avoid.

Stocks shouldnt be affect by the virus as companies have contingencies....but just in case its better to buy NOW.
Are you telling us to not panic buy or telling us other people will panic buy so we might as well panic buy?

I'd say it usually doesn't make sense to wait 6 mos to build if you wanna build. Just build and generally you'll be fine for a good bit. There's always something around the corner and even if there is new shit in 6 mos it's not like what you have is obsolete, and if you feel the itch to get the new stuff you really don't have a better time to sell your gear. 6mos rental effectively for $100 or so isn't the end of the world. Like I bought the 2070 and then the 2070 super came out pretty damn quick.

Buy an ampere 30xx same thing will probably happen. Or maybe AMDs bigger dies are game changers and they do a refresh that leaves ampere in the dust (Navi didnt leave anything in the dust but I do doubt Nvidia super series even happened without amd at least putting up something pretty competent). And honestly a 5700 xt at $400 or even $350 lately aftermarket models is a pretty damn good value.

Basically I'd be surprised to see a 3070 at less than $500 so it's entirely possible even waiting 6 mos you can't really buy anything much better at the price point you want. Like sure maybe you get a slight boost with a 3060 but then you also lost 6mos of having a new GPU and maybe saved $50-100.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

It's hardly on all tech youtubers, though. We have a few complications:
  • The work from home PC market has exploded
  • Many local shops worldwide are closed due to lockdowns
  • Amazon is no longer shipping internationally
I mean with the Chinese supply chain slowly coming back it's a bubble rather than a bullrush, but still, those backup stocks you mentioned have been burning out for weeks and even if they had more, the supply chain itself (transport) is not nearly as functional as it was.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious: How does the work from home initiative affect the pricing of enthusiast PC parts?

I mean, I can see monitors, mouse, and other peripherals going up in price (everybody uses those and I'm sure there is overlap between the enthusiast market and the typical white collar worker) but mid-high end gpus, CPUs, and PSUs??? I see demand staying mostly the same. It is the supply I am worried about the most due to the pandemic.

Just trying to get a better understanding.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Just curious: How does the work from home initiative affect the pricing of enthusiast PC parts?

I mean, I can see monitors, mouse, and other peripherals going up in price (everybody uses those and I'm sure there is overlap between the enthusiast market and the typical white collar worker) but mid-high end gpus, CPUs, and PSUs??? I see demand staying mostly the same. It is the supply I am worried about the most due to the pandemic.

Just trying to get a better understanding.

The lion's share of people working from home are doing so with their own computers. They aren't expensed, they aren't paid for by the company. So there is more of a crossover with entertainment. And WFH no longer just means "work in word" but every profession from video editing to programming to database management. So the spec range is going up.

The supply chain is the real problem (having an effective and fast route from manufacturing to retail to buyer) but demand across the spectrum is way up. I mean only speaking to my world, but basically every game developer on earth is working from home right now. TLOU2, any other game you can think of due out this year? People are working from home, and it's very unlikely they were allowed to take work PCs home. Monitors or Wacom? Sometimes. But usually the "box" is kept at work. So integrated graphics and 4 cores aren't going to cut it.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The lion's share of people working from home are doing so with their own computers. They aren't expensed, they aren't paid for by the company. So there is more of a crossover with entertainment. And WFH no longer just means "work in word" but every profession from video editing to programming to database management. So the spec range is going up.

The supply chain is the real problem (having an effective and fast route from manufacturing to retail to buyer) but demand across the spectrum is way up. I mean only speaking to my world, but basically every game developer on earth is working from home right now. TLOU2, any other game you can think of due out this year? People are working from home, and it's very unlikely they were allowed to take work PCs home. Monitors or Wacom? Sometimes. But usually the "box" is kept at work. So integrated graphics and 4 cores aren't going to cut it.
Yea that makes sense. Developers/artists/digital designers -- they all need wfh stations as well. Thanks.

Well I was thinking of building soon myself but I am thinking I may wait a bit.

The rig I had in mind was going to be a 2070/80 and either a i7-9700/3700X. I'm leaning more towards the 3700x because I want that pcie4 mobo (good idea?). And I find amd's value to be good on their processors (on paper).

I've been out of the building game for awhile and I have never owned any of amd's products before.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Slightly off topic

AnAndTech got arguably the best looking X570 motherboard yet somehow managed to build one of the ugliest PCs ive seen in a while from a tech site....that didnt do it on purpose.
The bottom mount Radiator yeahk! Lazy softtubing Yuceeak! Borderline random RGB bleargh!....They didnt even try.
My%20New%20PC%202.jpg

Back on Topic.
Looks like I might be in luck.
Someone has a 3900 that "fell off a truck" that comes with a motherboard as well for under the price of the 3900X alone.
I looked up the 3900 performance and with PBO active it performs exactly like an X chip....only problem is the motherboard is dicey I dunno if it will even take advantage of the all the core at PBO speeds and the guy doesnt want to open up the packaging and all to test the CPU in another motherboard.

I do a lot of gaming and render work so those are the only benchmarks that really matter.
Whats worse is we might be moving to GPU rendering soon so having a king shit CPU isnt going to matter too much in like one pregnancy.
And even if this is a steal deal......the 3700X with a good motherboard is still cheaper.
Quite the dilemma and I dont have much time to decide.

zoopLPZiTV8NFYZvS8EprH-650-80.png

kJKAJPfrpGbJTkrUUhuwCJ-650-80.png

V5vNDDbHzAeqvj5KB4vF3n-650-80.png

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The rig I had in mind was going to be a 2070/80 and either a i7-9700/3700X. I'm leaning more towards the 3700x because I want that pcie4 mobo (good idea?). And I find amd's value to be good on their processors (on paper).

I'd say the 3700X/2070 Super is a very balanced build and it's quite popular. Intel's chips of course are still the best for games, but bad at heat and core counts, so AMD popularity has gone way up. The Ryzen 3600 is also very popular right now because it's much cheaper than the 3700X (well under USD 200) and you still get 6 cores/12 threads. It's a big change from the old days where AMD would have compatibility issues; the CPU is rock solid and fast.

PCIe Gen4 is not that useful right now - Nvidia has yet to release a Gen 4 card and PCIe4 SSDs are very expensive - but the X570 board is a bit more popular for another reason: it's expected to be compatible with the Ryzen 4000 series due later this year. And eventually, you can still upgrade for that Gen4 SSD if you like.

AnAndTech got arguably the best looking X570 motherboard yet somehow managed to build one of the ugliest PCs ive seen in a while from a tech site....that didnt do it on purpose.
The bottom mount Radiator yeahk! Lazy softtubing Yuceeak! Borderline random RGB bleargh!....They didnt even try.

That looks like a Corsair 280D? Where the PSU is in a separate panel. It does look like somebody played Splatoon though :lol

Someone has a 3900 that "fell off a truck" that comes with a motherboard as well for under the price of the 3900X alone.
I looked up the 3900 performance and with PBO active it performs exactly like an X chip....only problem is the motherboard is dicey I dunno if it will even take advantage of the all the core at PBO speeds and the guy doesnt want to open up the packaging and all to test the CPU in another motherboard.

What's the motherboard?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That looks like a Corsair 280D? Where the PSU is in a separate panel. It does look like somebody played Splatoon though :lol

What's the motherboard?

They really need to rebuild that to make it look better.
Rather just dont show it off if its going to be that ugly.

On The 3900.
I believe its a B450 motherboard but im not sure which one exactly it is. Ill try bother him some more im trying to wiggle my way out of getting a B450 board that likely wont take full advantage of the 3900.

I havent seen much info on 3900X matched with B450 boards in terms of performance vs a 3700X with a Aorus X570 board.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the 3700X/2070 Super is a very balanced build and it's quite popular. Intel's chips of course are still the best for games, but bad at heat and core counts, so AMD popularity has gone way up. The Ryzen 3600 is also very popular right now because it's much cheaper than the 3700X (well under USD 200) and you still get 6 cores/12 threads. It's a big change from the old days where AMD would have compatibility issues; the CPU is rock solid and fast.

PCIe Gen4 is not that useful right now - Nvidia has yet to release a Gen 4 card and PCIe4 SSDs are very expensive - but the X570 board is a bit more popular for another reason: it's expected to be compatible with the Ryzen 4000 series due later this year. And eventually, you can still upgrade for that Gen4 SSD if you like.

This is exactly the information I needed to see. Thank you again.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
They really need to rebuild that to make it look better.
Rather just dont show it off if its going to be that ugly.

On The 3900.
I believe its a B450 motherboard but im not sure which one exactly it is. Ill try bother him some more im trying to wiggle my way out of getting a B450 board that likely wont take full advantage of the 3900.

I havent seen much info on 3900X matched with B450 boards in terms of performance vs a 3700X with a Aorus X570 board.

Honestly I think even subpar VRMs will do fine on the 3900 at regular clocks. But I don't know of any truly crap B450 boards unless it was pulled out of a Dell prebuilt, in which case it wouldn't even be ATX. But the 3900 (non-X) is rated 65W so again, it's probably fine. Not great for PBO or anything but should run. That being said I hear you and I'm usually picky about motherboards so I'd hesitate too. Hopefully you find out what MB it is.

Jabronium

Oct 26, 2017
Slightly off topic

My%20New%20PC%202.jpg

What Mobo is that?

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
My PG279Q has died after 2 months and Asus cannot repair it :/.

Got a refund and now in the market for a LG 27GL850, however seems like overclockers are the exclusive seller in the UK.

I have found it on Amazon.de but unsure how they return policy and warranties work.

Any of you got experience buying from Amazon.de and getting it shipped to UK? Also any idea how the returns and warranty policies might work?

Thanks

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Its AsRock Aqua.
Absolutely stunning motherboard IMO hands down the best looking X570 board out there...nothing really comes close.
Probably the only motherboard I would purposely go Window'd for.

x570_aqua_l4_.png

What makes matters worse is ive only seen one good build with it.
Everyone seems to be lost once they get it.

P1177375.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was looking for a white Mobo but think I'll be passing on this one with that price tag. Yikes.
ITs water cooled what were you expecting?

The Prime and Legend are the most white X570 motherboards available.
You could always remove the metal and plastic parts off whatever motherboard and paint them white.
The PCBs will still be whatever color tho, but most of that will be covered by your components so it could still work.

ASRock-X570-Steel-Legend.jpg

b06a90d7ec5a485121a21751cdc3d9b9.1600.jpg

Get a white DarkRock 4 Pro and alot of the motherboard wont even be visible.
maxresdefault.jpg

If you were build 1151 NZXT has a pretty much full white black motherboard.
You could probably ask your local store to make a motherboard cover if you want the NZXT look.
8149-C63v6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Building my first PC already bought some parts.

On to the CPU and GPU then the cooling features. Debating back and forth in my head if I want to build my own watercooling loop or use an AIO.

I think I'm leaning towards the 3700x for now instead of the 3900 because I can get one for 230.

GPU is the tough one because I want to be ready for Cyberpunk and play Kingdome Come at 60 on 3440x1440.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $289.00)
Case: Thermaltake View 51 Snow ARGB Edition ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $189.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $124.00)
Total: $602.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-17 13:27 EDT-0400

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Hey question? I'm looking to get a rig mainly for video production but I want to do a lot of gaming on it because why not. I9 9900k processor, 32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz; and a GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB GDDR6 should be pretty beefy right? Also how much of a difference would it make if I get 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz and save 200$?

Also I'm looking at monitors and some nice ones have FreeSync and say they can run Gsync unofficial but how hard is that and is it worth the hassle?

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Its AsRock Aqua.
Absolutely stunning motherboard IMO hands down the best looking X570 board out there...nothing really comes close.

x570_aqua_l4_.png

P1177375.jpg
Isn't that the only X570 board that doesn't have a fan?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about that one. That Aqua board is so cool.

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm leaning towards the 3700 and an AIO and a 2070.

When the 4000 Series AMD CPUs come out and the Nvida 3000 series I'll sell the parts I have and upgrade then if I really want to go hardcore.

Just wish Cyberpunk would release some specs.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
www.microcenter.com

I believe this is the PSU I've had for the last few years.

It's been a champ.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Its AsRock Aqua.

x570_aqua_l4_.png

P1177375.jpg
routing pipes directly over memory, making it almost completely inaccessible in a practical way is a big ol' nope from me, dawgs.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
routing pipes directly over memory, making it almost completely inaccessible in a practical way is a big ol' nope from me, dawgs.

Why are you gonna be changing your RAM when its the fastest lowest latency RAM you could possibly get.

Also you could totally get those DIMMs outta there if you needed to for whatever reason.

I legit havent removed RAM from a computer once its up and running.
Does RAM usually if ever randomly just go bad by itself.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say it usually doesn't make sense to wait 6 mos to build if you wanna build. Just build and generally you'll be fine for a good bit. There's always something around the corner and even if there is new shit in 6 mos it's not like what you have is obsolete, and if you feel the itch to get the new stuff you really don't have a better time to sell your gear. 6mos rental effectively for $100 or so isn't the end of the world. Like I bought the 2070 and then the 2070 super came out pretty damn quick.

Buy an ampere 30xx same thing will probably happen. Or maybe AMDs bigger dies are game changers and they do a refresh that leaves ampere in the dust (Navi didnt leave anything in the dust but I do doubt Nvidia super series even happened without amd at least putting up something pretty competent). And honestly a 5700 xt at $400 or even $350 lately aftermarket models is a pretty damn good value.

Basically I'd be surprised to see a 3070 at less than $500 so it's entirely possible even waiting 6 mos you can't really buy anything much better at the price point you want. Like sure maybe you get a slight boost with a 3060 but then you also lost 6mos of having a new GPU and maybe saved $50-100.
All other things equal, and including no major surprises, I'm going to lock in an EVGA 3070 XC-Ultra (or comparable model) pre-order somewhere for $499 in July-August.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All other things equal, and including no major surprises, I'm going to lock in an EVGA 3070 XC-Ultra (or comparable model) pre-order somewhere for $499 in July-August.

Sure likely August pre-order and September launch. We'll see what kind of supply there actually is too given COVID. Pricing I hope you're right that 3070 is under $500.