• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the difference is called VDROOP. I have my Load Line Calibration at Level 7, which is supposed to keep it as close to your requested manual voltage as possible. 1.3v when taking into account the VDROOP, wasn't enough voltage to be stable at 5ghz on my chip.
Aaaah yeah. Didn't take that into account. Thanks! I have my chip at 1.335V to make it stable. Tried with 1.325V but would crash after a few Cinebenches. :(

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Please Era, help me fix this sawtooth issue i have with Ryzen. 40c, 50c, 40c, 50, 40c, 50c...........

The fan curve is driving me insane. My settings in the bios are factory.

stvzk13.png

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Got my first complete build from scratch up and running. Boot looped at first, reseated the ram real quick and now windows is all set-up and I'm installing software! Feels good, was very easy and kind of fun.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone! My 12 year old cousin had $1,000 in birthday money to spend on a gaming desktop. I'm a bit out of touch with the PC world as of late, and Slickdeals is coming up dry with deals on prebuilt PCs. He doesn't live anywhere near me or have anyone to help him build, so it's prebuilt or bust.

Any recommendations for a $1,000 budget? Thanks so much!

Nov 21, 2017
My question is, is there a way to clone the smaller HD and transfer its contents without limiting the space on the new HD? My only thought is to partition the new HD but i dont know if that will bog down the system the way a normal 240gb will

From OP:

Setup and Overclocking
Want to know exactly what you bought? Or figure out what kind of overclocking room you may have? Try these.

Cloning won't limit the space on the new HD, if will just make a exact copy of what is on the 240GB. If anything, you may have to "extend" the partition on the new drive, but you will be able to use the full capacity.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Hovering at around 80-90C with my NH-D15 when at full tilt. So not too terrible. Would love to run it at a lower voltage though, but just can't seem to get it stable.

Is that when gaming, or testing with cinebench and the like?

i just pushed it to 5.1 at 1.34...was able to complete multiple rounds of cinebench and game :x. Might be pushing my luck going higher, heh.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that when gaming, or testing with cinebench and the like?

i just pushed it to 5.1 at 1.34...was able to complete multiple rounds of cinebench and game :x. Might be pushing my luck going higher, heh.
Cinebench and Aida64. Gaming (COD Warzone) im at like 56-65 max.

Vaiim

Oct 30, 2017
SLI????
a6aada8f76ad140ad54e1208e01bf414.jpg

Everything looks all good otherwise
Stretch your budget out and get a new GPU and you are more than sorted for the next few years.

Pretty much no games actually use SLI....so youll be running off 1 GTX 780.
Worse still even with SLI you will be severely....and I mean severely gimped by having 3GB of VRAM.
I don't think non X370/X470/X570 chipsets are SLI-capable. So if you were to try that, you probably need to get a SLI-compatible mainboard as well.
I mean, if you're planning to still run the GTX 780, the 3700X is overkill. May as well get a 3600?

I'm usually first to recommend the SX8200 Pro but I have to admit that right now, your pick should very much be based on price at the moment. Better products like the Samsung 970 or WD 750 may very well be similarly priced. The Sabrent Rocket should also be considered. Beyond that, as mentioned B450M doesn't support Nvidia SLI, only AMD crossfire (and even then, you have to check...)

The 3600 is a strong midrange CPU right now. You get 6 cores/12 threads, great clockspeed, and a modern architecture. The 1650 super, on the other hand, is a budget product. You can pretty much upgrade all the way through to RTX 2070 Super and you are still going to be GPU bound. So if you want to see better framerates, you should consider a better GPU.

Thank you for the SLI advice guys, shows how out-of-date I am with all of this.

I have taken everyone's advice and stretched the budget a little to include a graphics card (XFX RX 5600XT) - I wanted an RX5700 but was worried about the heat/noise reports (and couldn't find a great price). I've also cut down from a 3700x -> 3600x and the SX8200 pro -> Crucial NVMe to lessen the blow slightly (thanks Crazymoogle).

System Builder

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card

In case anyone is interested (UK) I found the Ryzen 5 3600X and Asus Strix mobo combo at AWD-IT for £279.99, including Resident Evil 3, the ram for +£74.99 (which wasn't bad) and an Asus ROG Gladius II Origin Wired Optical Mouse discounted to £19.99 (£67.99 on Amazon!) which all seemed like quite a reasonable deal. They also alternatively had a Gladius II Core mouse for £14.99 as part of the bundle.

Any other thoughts?

Jsee80

Nov 18, 2017

If you are after value get the 3600 NOT the 3600X.

And I don't know why people are buying/recommending $50+ dollar coolers for people on a budget. I mean Ryzen comes with a capable cooler, install what you bought, if you decide its too noisy you can "upgrade" your fan anytime.

Personally if I was gonna spend a chuck of cash on a fan I would go Intel cause its top of the line and comes with no fuckin fan. lol

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thank you for the SLI advice guys, shows how out-of-date I am with all of this.

I have taken everyone's advice and stretched the budget a little to include a graphics card (XFX RX 5600XT) - I wanted an RX5700 but was worried about the heat/noise reports (and couldn't find a great price). I've also cut down from a 3700x -> 3600x and the SX8200 pro -> Crucial NVMe to lessen the blow slightly (thanks Crazymoogle).

System Builder

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card

In case anyone is interested (UK) I found the Ryzen 5 3600X and Asus Strix mobo combo at AWD-IT for £279.99, including Resident Evil 3, the ram for +£74.99 (which wasn't bad) and an Asus ROG Gladius II Origin Wired Optical Mouse discounted to £19.99 (£67.99 on Amazon!) which all seemed like quite a reasonable deal. They also alternatively had a Gladius II Core mouse for £14.99 as part of the bundle.

Any other thoughts?

I don't think you need the 3600X if you are buying a cooler. The whole point of the 3600X is you're getting ~5% more perf than the 3600 and a better cooler in exchange for like ~30 USD. So the optimal routes are either (1) don't buy a cooler and ride with the Wraith or buy the cooler but drop down to the 3600.

Not really a fan of B450 right now because I plan on upgrading to Ryzen 4000, but no question B450 is the cheap feature option right now. No particular problem with the build though; THICC III is supposed to be the fixed card right?

Oct 29, 2017

Vaiim

Oct 30, 2017
If you are after value get the 3600 NOT the 3600X.

And I don't know why people are buying/recommending $50+ dollar coolers for people on a budget. I mean Ryzen comes with a capable cooler, install what you bought, if you decide its too noisy you can "upgrade" your fan anytime.

Personally if I was gonna spend a chuck of cash on a fan I would go Intel cause its top of the line and comes with no fuckin fan. lol
I don't think you need the 3600X if you are buying a cooler. The whole point of the 3600X is you're getting ~5% more perf than the 3600 and a better cooler in exchange for like ~30 USD. So the optimal routes are either (1) don't buy a cooler and ride with the Wraith or buy the cooler but drop down to the 3600.

Not really a fan of B450 right now because I plan on upgrading to Ryzen 4000, but no question B450 is the cheap feature option right now. No particular problem with the build though; THICC III is supposed to be the fixed card right?

Ah I didn't realise there was such a small difference actually, whoops. In terms of price it is £10 (~$13), so nothing terrible at least. Is there any real difference in overclock capacity?

iu

In terms of the cooler, I'm actually getting that one for my wife to use with my old components - I have an old beast of a cooler - Noctua NH-D14 which I am hoping to use on the new build (if it fits!), and if the fittings have changed since I got it 10years ago then the new cooler should hopefully have the right bits to switch - if not I will probably RMA and go with stock cooler based on both your advice.

Not sure what you meant about fixed card, sorry. It's got an extra fan stuck on the end, and slightly higher clock speeds: Amazon It is the 12GBps version, but we don't seem to have the 14GBps version in the UK that I can find yet.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Ah I didn't realise there was such a small difference actually, whoops. In terms of price it is £10 (~$13), so nothing terrible at least. Is there any real difference in overclock capacity?

iu

In terms of the cooler, I'm actually getting that one for my wife to use with my old components - I have an old beast of a cooler - Noctua NH-D14 which I am hoping to use on the new build (if it fits!), and if the fittings have changed since I got it 10years ago then the new cooler should hopefully have the right bits to switch - if not I will probably RMA and go with stock cooler based on both your advice.

Not sure what you meant about fixed card, sorry. It's got an extra fan stuck on the end, and slightly higher clock speeds: Amazon It is the 12GBps version, but we don't seem to have the 14GBps version in the UK that I can find yet.

Ah, well, ~13 dollars is not terrible. It's a slight clock speed increase. Take a look at some review benchmarks and decide.

Yeah, it was the THICC II that had some serious hardware problems in its cooling solution, I think that was fixed with the III. Wow, though...the card is gigantic...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if that's really the thread for this but I wouldn't know a more suitable one. Riva Tuner Statistics Server had a new beta update recently and this is a amazing upgrade. RTSS is the part of MSI Afterburner that handles the OSD and it now features a graphical overlay editor where you can basically build your own OSD via Hypertext and tables! :D

That's what I came up with for now, nothing here is final and I'm just experimenting to see what's possible with graphics and all but you can really go wild with this:

Dek5H6E.png

I love that I can now combine my FPS and frametime graphs and also the CPU usage and clock graphs!

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Here's how it looks like under load (CPU-Z stress test):

This is a Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.8GHz on the stock cooler.

The perfect voltage for that chip at 3.8ghz is - 0.0625 offset, gets it to around 1.2375 if i remember correctly, I know all cpus are different but i tested it on upwards of 4.

Also the sawtooth graph you see is normal on all Ryzen cpus. I've been researching it for weeks. (i have 1600, 2600, 2700x)

Adjusting your fan curve which was suggested in this thread helps with noise when the temps ramp up like that

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Yup that's way too hot, especially for 3.8ghz.

Make sure the cooler is completely mounted on the CPU and check the thermal paste.
The perfect voltage for that chip at 3.8ghz is - 0.0625 offset, gets it to around 1.2375 if i remember correctly, I know all cpus are different but i tested it on upwards of 4.

Also the sawtooth graph you see is normal on all Ryzen cpus. I've been researching it for weeks. (i have 1600, 2600, 2700x)

Adjusting your fan curve which was suggested in this thread helps with noise when the temps ramp up like that
Thanks, guys. That voltage thing helped a lot. Here's how it is now:

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my build plans are delayed to August if Ryzen 4000 is that close... I figured it'd be closer to end of year and was gonna get a 3600 to then upgrade from, but I can hold that long. the 4690k still has some tread left.

snack

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. I have an issue with my screensaver activating, and found that the culprit is the Geforce overlay (enabled). When disabled, the screensaver works again.

Anyone else have this issue? It is annoying...

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
So getting curious about VR. Ran the VR test on steam to see if my PC is VR ready and not surprising it's not. Failed on gpu. So I'm just wondering if I can get a top end gpu for a 5-6 year old machine like mine. I would upgrade my gpu to what I'd eventually want to put in a new build. But that won't be for a while. My specs btw are. Amd 8350 3.5ghz. 8 gigs of ram and a 7970. Is it possible to upgrade gpu to something much better?

Sellda

Oct 25, 2017
Question,

I have a monitor(Dell UltraSharp U2412M), its got a 1x DVI-D port, 1x display port, 1x VGA port.
I brought a DVI-D to HDMI adaptor, I tried to connect my PS4 to the monitor using HDMI cable but nothing comes up on the monitor. I used the same DVI-D to hdmi adaptor and connected my laptop using the same HDMI cable and it mirrors my laptop screen just fine.

any ideas why PS4 dont work on the dell monitor ?

TIA

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Question,

I have a monitor(Dell UltraSharp U2412M), its got a 1x DVI-D port, 1x display port, 1x VGA port.
I brought a DVI-D to HDMI adaptor, I tried to connect my PS4 to the monitor using HDMI cable but nothing comes up on the monitor. I used the same DVI-D to hdmi adaptor and connected my laptop using the same HDMI cable and it mirrors my laptop screen just fine.

any ideas why PS4 dont work on the dell monitor ?

TIA

Check that your PS4 is outputting within range resolution like 1080p and turn off HDR.

iamtheb

Oct 27, 2017
  1. What's your budget and currency? $1,500-$1,800 USD.
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?) Gaming and web primarily.
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it? Within the next few days.
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer? Completely new computer
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers? Only computer itself.
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects) I don't think I would.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
What's the go to x570 board? The Asus TUF x570? I was looking at the Asrock X570 Extreme, but I read a review that using it with the Noctua DH 15 is not optimal because it's literally touching the GPU. Not sure if this would cause problems or not.

Oct 29, 2017
What's the go to x570 board? The Asus TUF x570? I was looking at the Asrock X570 Extreme, but I read a review that using it with the Noctua DH 15 is not optimal because it's literally touching the GPU. Not sure if this would cause problems or not.
Looking at pictures I see why that would be the case, since the top PCIe slot is close to the cpu socket while other models have an M.2 slot at that height, but as long as you are able to install the card it shouldn't be an issue. There have been mobos where you can't with a NH-D15 however.

That said, even if it just touches the card, I can see how it could make it very annoying to installs and uninstall GPUs, trying to reach for the release tab hidden under the cooler.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I had the Asus TUF in my cart and switched to an Aorus Ultra at the last minute and I really love it. I think the Aorus pro is basically the same board but cheaper with only two m2 slots though. There are multiple PCIE slots so cooler shouldnt be an issue.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah now I see Ryzen 4000 is more likely September... Friends, tell me what to do. Do I buy this weekend with my stimulus check coming in, do i get a 3600 and then upgrade, or a 3700X and be happy? The decision was so much easier last time lol

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Hey, I got a few questions about m.2 drives. I'm a little confused by them. I have an MSI Z270-A PRO and it looks like it can take PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s. Are the PCIe versions faster? Can I clone my current SSD drive onto the m.2 easily? That's one thing I like about SSDs, upgrading is super simple. I also have a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB would this Sabrent be as fast/faster than what I currently have?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So getting curious about VR. Ran the VR test on steam to see if my PC is VR ready and not surprising it's not. Failed on gpu. So I'm just wondering if I can get a top end gpu for a 5-6 year old machine like mine. I would upgrade my gpu to what I'd eventually want to put in a new build. But that won't be for a while. My specs btw are. Amd 8350 3.5ghz. 8 gigs of ram and a 7970. Is it possible to upgrade gpu to something much better?

Your specs are pretty old. You can definitely get a better GPU, but the CPU will bottleneck you. I think even a cheap GTX 1660 Super would be bottlenecked. You're also light on RAM. Anyway, unless your PCIe slot is too old (what is your motherboard?) you should be able to run whatever video card you want, it's just that most of the perf will be lost.

The TUF X570 is the goto board because it has the VRMs of a much more expensive board and it's usually $150 USD. And for a paltry sum more you can get BT+WiFi 5. Of course right now with the state of things price has gone up. The Aorus Pro X570 also seems reasonable good. Just depends on your price range.

Ah now I see Ryzen 4000 is more likely September... Friends, tell me what to do. Do I buy this weekend with my stimulus check coming in, do i get a 3600 and then upgrade, or a 3700X and be happy? The decision was so much easier last time lol

September is what people are banking on, but Hardware Unboxed seemed doubtful. I would buy a 3600 now only if you need the upgrade though, it's too close to entertain the 3700X unless your top priority is to just buy a great rig now and be done with it. I went from 4670k>3600 and am enjoying it, but I bought X570 to wait on Ryzen 4000 and kept my GTX970 while I wait on RTX 3000.

Hey, I got a few questions about m.2 drives. I'm a little confused by them. I have an MSI Z270-A PRO and it looks like it can take PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s. Are the PCIe versions faster? Can I clone my current SSD drive onto the m.2 easily? That's one thing I like about SSDs, upgrading is super simple. I also have a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB would this Sabrent be as fast/faster than what I currently have?

I wrote a guide in the OP.
  • SATA is the old hard drive standard. Speed is limited, but works fine for today's games.
  • NVME is the new SSD standard. It's faster because it's literally acting as a PCIe device. It screws into your motherboard, so no cables.
  • That Sabrent is definitely faster than an 850 and is one of my recommended NVMe drives.
  • You won't notice much if any difference for today's games right now from the 850.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
  1. What's your budget and currency? $1,500-$1,800 USD.
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?) Gaming and web primarily.
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it? Within the next few days.
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer? Completely new computer
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers? Only computer itself.
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects) I don't think I would.

That's a great budget. If you already have a monitor though, what's the resolution?
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • B450 Tomahawk MAX
  • Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • SN550 SSD (1TB)
  • RTX 2080 Super
  • Meshify C
  • SeaSonic Focus Gold PSU
That's a ~$1525 USD config. You should probably go up to 32GB, but apart from that it's basically a 4K gaming machine and about as fast as you can get (1) without buying a 2080 ti and (2) until the RTX 3000 launch later this year. If you're only running 1080p you may want to consider a lighter/cheaper spec.

Unless something wonky is going on, I wouldn't think that a PCIe slot or card could be too old. They should all be back/forward compatible.

I agree, but I get nervous about really old boards, especially old AMD. It would be like putting a ferrari engine in an old rental car. You're probably right though.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
September is what people are banking on, but Hardware Unboxed seemed doubtful. I would buy a 3600 now only if you need the upgrade though, it's too close to entertain the 3700X unless your top priority is to just buy a great rig now and be done with it. I went from 4670k>3600 and am enjoying it, but I bought X570 to wait on Ryzen 4000 and kept my GTX970 while I wait on RTX 3000.
I'm sitting on a 4690k myself lol. GTX1080 so I'm also good until the 3080 there. The 4690 is showing its age, but it's more that I will have this stimulus check to spend and am eager to do a build again. If I go the 3600 route, I've seen some recommends (including here) to get a cheaper B450 then go X670 with the 4000 CPUs. Would you recommend that over X570?

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I wrote a guide in the OP.
  • SATA is the old hard drive standard. Speed is limited, but works fine for today's games.
  • NVME is the new SSD standard. It's faster because it's literally acting as a PCIe device. It screws into your motherboard, so no cables.
  • That Sabrent is definitely faster than an 850 and is one of my recommended NVMe drives.
  • You won't notice much if any difference for today's games right now from the 850.
Ah thanks. I'm not too worried about game performance more general OS performance. I got a crappy SSD and it was way slower than my slightly older Samsung one.

What about cloning? Is it plug-n-play after I clone my current SSD onto the m.2?

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm sitting on a 4690k myself lol. GTX1080 so I'm also good until the 3080 there. The 4690 is showing its age, but it's more that I will have this stimulus check to spend and am eager to do a build again. If I go the 3600 route, I've seen some recommends (including here) to get a cheaper B450 then go X670 with the 4000 CPUs. Would you recommend that over X570?

The foolproof upgrade path is x670+4000, of course, but then you are doing a complete rebuild and throwing out a CPU and motherboard. All of the evidence (and rumors) point to Zen3 using AM4 still, which strongly suggests X570 will be compatible just as B450 is usable now. So it depends on your budget and how much money you want to throw away.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Getting a super bizarre audio issue with Discord. I get Desktop audio playing through into the chat, even when I physically unplug the microphone from the headphones. I can't even find much google searching for a solution or similar situation. Most issues online were the mic picking up the audio, on my end it seems like Windows and Discord are mixing the audio into chat, I'm at a loss. The issue goes away if I plug the headphones to the mobo, the issue is with the front case jacks it seems.

More testing it seems like Windows is picking up audio from my front mic jack but it's internal audio, games, youtube, or media player.

PLZ HALP!

EDIT and SOLUTION: I downloaded new drivers from the Asus website (Asus TUF x570), and installed the Realtec driver. Everything seems to work now. Previous had the Windows default drivers installed, and I'm assuming those weren't playing nice.

Last edited:

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
I have a ryzen 3600 with an asrock x570 gaming 4 board ( NZXT H510 case), not a fan of the stock cooler, which noctua cooler option is the best for this setup?