• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
O I would be buying the CPU, Ram, and Mobo. She is using an old intel 5xxxk series. So I would buy a mobo that would support the 3600 and also the newer Zen 3 that are coming out later. Thanks guys I will just get the 3600 and a x570 board.

Yeah, you need CPU+RAM (DDR4)+X570. Hopefully most get the Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3) support later. Best way to ensure it does it make sure it's not a bottom tier motherboard. ASUS TUF X570 is a good choice, as are some of the AORUS boards. Depends on what you can source though.

Oct 27, 2017
Heh. yeah! Figured I'd have more of a problem with the fact that I just took my old SSD and plugged it in with my new equipment but it just worked and I was able to reactivate Windows without much issue.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, you need CPU+RAM (DDR4)+X570. Hopefully most get the Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3) support later. Best way to ensure it does it make sure it's not a bottom tier motherboard. ASUS TUF X570 is a good choice, as are some of the AORUS boards. Depends on what you can source though.

Great thank you. I will grab this and 16 gigs of ram along with the 3600 and call it a day. I see the board in stock on both newegg and amazon so stock should be fine. Thanks again!

AmigoTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Well, my old 7950 died on me. I'm planning to wait till the end of the year and do a big rebuild, so want to get something to hold over till then. If im looking under 250$, is a 1660 super the way to go? any partticular models/brands or alternatives anyone could recommend would be much appreciated?

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my old 7950 died on me. I'm planning to wait till the end of the year and do a big rebuild, so want to get something to hold over till then. If im looking under 250$, is a 1660 super the way to go? any partticular models/brands or alternatives anyone could recommend would be much appreciated?
I picked up a ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER AMP for a recent first build and it runs beautifully.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Great thank you. I will grab this and 16 gigs of ram along with the 3600 and call it a day. I see the board in stock on both newegg and amazon so stock should be fine. Thanks again!

Just a quick FYI that DDR4 3200 or 3600 is preferred on Ryzen. Or you can save money and use DRAM Calculator to try and tweak it.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
I'm still rocking my beast silverstone FT02 case - never let me down.

How does it rank nowadays against newer cases?

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a good solution to HDD vibration noise? Been a problem for me for awhile and never bothered to deal with it. I know there are dampeners but would like to hear opinions before I go with anything.

Edit: Solution I found for this? Rubber bands. Two rubber bands stretched around the drive dampens the vibration so far.

Last edited:

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
A while ago I had purchased a completely new system and had it made for my by the company I bought it from, everything works as intended but I have a question about a weird noise. There's this high pitched screeching noise coming from my motherboard where my CPU is located. I haven't overclocked or anything. Anyone know what might be up? It's also there when I'm just on my desktop browsing the internet.

Here's the specs:
MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS
Intel Core i7 9700
GTX 2080 Super
16 GB RAM.
It's probably just coil whine coming from somewhere. Annoying, but usually not something to worry about

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Those waiting for the 10900K you have your more accurate benches now.
The earlier benches were on OEM motherboards....this is on an MSI motherboard so likely very very close to final results.
And as I suspected months ago....the 10th gen isnt going to dent the value of Ryzen 3000.
And Ryzen 4000 is going to be an absolute massacre.

10900K still slower than 3900X

The 10900K is faster in single thread performance by about 10%.
If AMDs reported 10 - 15% increase in IPC performance on Ryzen 4000 is true....then Intel have likely lost everything no logical reason to buy an Intel chip at all.....unlesss they are cheap as shit.
RIP Intel, we took your shit long enough.

Intel looks to be well behind AMD right now, and catch up is going to take them basically leapfrogging themselves by a year to keep up and maybe eek back a lead.
At this rate without a serious serious price cut Intel could only even possibly be worth while in like 2022.

2019-05-09_1-09-08.png

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh bloody hell how much of this pc am I going to have to dismantle to get to the bottom of the motherboard to fit the m2 drive?
(Rhetorical question)

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Anyone have a monitor recommendation in the $150 range? What should I be looking for, other than size?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Every time i boot up my system my gpu/cpu fans ramp up to 100% and go back to normal once everything in the OS is loaded up. Does anyone else with Ryzen CPUs have this issue and is there a fix for this?

Crax

May 21, 2018
Every time i boot up my system my gpu fans ramp up to 100% and go back t normal once everything in the OS is loaded up. Does anyone else with Ryzen CPUs have this issue and is there a fix for this?

This is normal on most motherboards, not just Ryzen. I think it's a test on voltage or temperatures when booting. Don't know of any way to stop it outside of disconnecting them from the motherboard.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to buy another ~year out of my current PC. It's old (born mid 2012) I should upgrade (seeing performance issues in a bunch of games, need to turn down resolution etc). But I want to wait for either the market to improve a bit or whatever wizbang SSD tech going into consoles finds its way into the PC market.
Current specs in spoiler
CPU: Intel i7 3770k (Stock cooling, base clock speed)
GPU: nVidia GeForce 980
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asus Sabretooth z77

Target is 1440p@60 fps (more is obviously better)

I'm hoping I can get by with some overclocking and a better cooler. Maybe a new video card/SLI config at most. I have a decent laptop I can use if desperate but remote learning means it's usually being used by my kids for school purposes.

I've been out of the hardware scene for a long ass time should I just bite the bullet and go in and build a new PC or try to hang on for another year?

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to buy another ~year out of my current PC. It's old (born mid 2012) I should upgrade (seeing performance issues in a bunch of games, need to turn down resolution etc). But I want to wait for either the market to improve a bit or whatever wizbang SSD tech going into consoles finds its way into the PC market.
Current specs in spoiler
CPU: Intel i7 3770k (Stock cooling, base clock speed)
GPU: nVidia GeForce 980
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asus Sabretooth z77

Target is 1440p@60 fps (more is obviously better)

I'm hoping I can get by with some overclocking and a better cooler. Maybe a new video card/SLI config at most. I have a decent laptop I can use if desperate but remote learning means it's usually being used by my kids for school purposes.

I've been out of the hardware scene for a long ass time should I just bite the bullet and go in and build a new PC or try to hang on for another year?
the ssd tech going into consoles came to pc last july and is only available on amd's X570 mobos currently but nothing actually truly utilizes it (to my knowledge).

market's pretty good everywhere that isn't gpus. If you want to hold onto your 3770k then your best bet is getting a good cooler and overclocking it as high as it can manage. For 1440p 60fps, the rtx 2060 or 2060 super should be able to get you there outside of cpu bottlenecked games

I think going for a new pc build, in general, wouldn't be a bad idea, and AMD's next batch of CPUs that are due this year will work on X570, X470, B450, X370 and B350 mobos with a bios update so there's no harm in going for, say, an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu or Ryzen 7 3700x cpu right now.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the ssd tech going into consoles came to pc last july and is only available on amd's X570 mobos currently but nothing actually truly utilizes it (to my knowledge).
Not exactly. Somewhat accurate for PS4 but I don't think there are consumer drives that match the PS5's yet. I believe NVME SSD's that can match Xbox Series are available for non x570 boards though I could be wrong.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly. Somewhat accurate for PS4 but I don't think there are consumer drives that match the PS5's yet. I believe NVME SSD's that can match Xbox Series are available for non x570 boards though I could be wrong.
You're technically right. AMD's TRX40 boards (Threadripper) also support PCIE Gen 4. Nothing else currently does. Intel supposedly has a new platform in the works which will also supports it, but that is a ways off.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
iirc I thought the ps5 theoretical ssd throughput topped out around 5gb/s like pci gen 4 nvme drives though I'm also seeing it can apparently do 9gb/s ?

Whether that's how fast it will be in reality is yet to be seen but you're right.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to get a new monitor. It'll be used for both work mainly and some games (WoW mostly, any contoller friendly games I will play on my TV).
Don't really care about HDR and I would like GSync.
I'm thinking 1440P/144Hz/27inch and ideally under 500 USD (but willing to go bit higher).
These are the two I'm looking at now. Not sure I want to spend the extra on the ASUS. Anyone used either of these?

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q - $599.99
www.microcenter.com

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics - Thousands of products to buy: desktops, laptops, monitors, build your own PC parts, upgrades, digital imaging, printing supplies, portable devices, audio equipment, software, video games, movies, tech books, plus repair service, store hours, directions...

Acer Nitro XV272U - $369.99
www.microcenter.com

Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx 27" WQHD - Micro Center

Get it now! Find over 30,000 products at your local Micro Center, including the Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx 27" WQHD 144Hz HDMI DP FreeSync HDR IPS LED Gaming Monitor

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
iirc I thought the ps5 theoretical ssd throughput topped out around 5gb/s like pci gen 4 nvme drives though I'm also seeing it can apparently do 9gb/s ?

Whether that's how fast it will be in reality is yet to be seen but you're right.
It can, therefor those AMD boards could match it. SSD's available to consumers will just take a year or two to catch up to that max speed though. That's one of the reasons Sony has said that you could add more storage to the PS5 but the SSD would need to be approved as compatible and nothing like that exists yet. Eventually they will of course. Maybe by its launch but I'm sure those would be expensive.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
I'm still rocking my beast silverstone FT02 case - never let me down.

How does it rank nowadays against newer cases?
It's still a great case for air cooling. In my opinion there havn't been any big improvements in case design, instead they've been adding things like cable channels and water cooling radiator mounts and removing optical and hard drive bays, which tend to make them easier to setup, but don't significantly affect performance.

I'm still using a Silverstone TJ08, as I can't find a case thats enough of an improvement to justify the cost and I'd guess you'll have similar results looking for an FT02 replacement.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I didn't cover "money is no object" but no, it still depends on what you want.
  • Predator X35: 35" UWQHD FALD + 200hz VA + G-Sync Ultimate
  • HP Omen X Emperium: 65" 4K OLED + 144hz G-Sync Ultimate (or LG C9?)
  • LG 38GL950G-B: 38" UWQHD (3840x1600) Nano IPS + 144/175hz G-Sync (only HDR400 though)

Thank you for the recommendations! I currently have an X34 as my main monitor. I didn't realize the x35 was that much better. Trying gauge just how much better. The reason I am trying to find a new monitor is the x34 has a relatively low refresh rate (100hz, OC'd) with no HDR at all. 200hz (more likely 180, or 144, depending on color choice) seems so much better.

Does anyone have an x35 and can comment on the HDR? It seems like a fantastic upgrade to the x34, but would love some more opinions!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Not to be pedantic but might as well.
The Aorus AIC does almost double the speed of the PS5.
Thats 15GB/s
e5acszTcHXp57ANm.jpg

Why people thought the PS5 would be magic for long is beyond me.
PC tech never sit still.
By the time the PS5 launches theres going to be consumer products already eating that speed.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thats 15GB/s
e5acszTcHXp57ANm.jpg

PC tech never sit still.
By the time the PS5 launches theres going to be consumer products already eating that speed.
Your misunderstanding what that product is. Its not a single SSD. It only reaches those speeds when fully populated with PCIe 4.0 SSDs in raid 0.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Your misunderstanding what that product is. Its not a single SSD. It only reaches those speeds when fully populated with PCIe 4.0 SSDs in raid 0.

I aint misunderstanding shit, I know what it is.
Its a drive comprised of multiple drives.
If the method to achieve high speed is under scrutiny I was not informed, does Intel 900 series AIC qualify and who makes the rules??
The technique used to achieve the end goal is of no consequence, as said i am being pedantic, but there are already drives that beat the PS5s speed.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So I am looking for a new mouse for gaming. Mostly mobs and FPS. Somtime TPS. I have 4 option roccat line pure se with 3325 sensor(33$)
Razer deathadder V2 (46$) steel series rival 3 (48$) and finally Logitech g305 (58$). I have 18.3cm to 10.5cm hands. I used to Palm group but people are telling me claw is better. I just want best mouse among these for my hand

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

The XSX (most likely) uses basically a standard NVMe 3.0x4 (if that, we honestly don't even know if's TLC or QLC) as it's transfer rate is below that of, say, a Sabrent Rocket 3x4 currently available on the market. The "non standard" part is that as you can see with the expansion card it's more like a 2240 than 2280 so I wonder exactly how many chips are used. Still, it's fairly clear if you have say a 8200 Pro, ex950, something along those lines: you're already using a faster drive. Just without Microsoft's architecture advantage.

PS5 uses a 12 channel PCIe4 drive, so it's both slightly faster than any commmercial PCIe4 NVMe (5.5vs5) but supports 50% more traffic (12 channel vs. 8 channel). Both of the consoles also appear to have onboard decompression hardware to up that theoretical transfer rate even more. 2nd generation PCIe4 NVMe are coming out later this year with speeds of 6.5GB/s (Samsung 980 Pro) and 7GB/s (Phison E18 controller) which aren't apples-to-apples, but the added transfer speed should make them roughly equivalent to the PS5 NVMe. (12 channel NVMe does not exist in the consumer market)

In any case, for now comparing Gen4 drive speeds is basically like comparing drag racers when you are driving downtown on the way to the grocery store. The numbers are big, but until we get the new DirectStorage (along with some added participation from developers and hardware manufacturers) there is simply little difference between the AORUS AIC and a humble 2.5" SATA Samsung 860 when it comes to games performance. I still recommend NVMe 3x4 as a way to future proof your rig - and give you file performance for non-gaming tasks - but the Gen4 world is too fantastically expensive for no real benefit at this time, and it's unlikely any current Gen4 NVMe will be rated as PS5 compatible.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
for half as much, you can buy CX 48 which is a far far better display. These monitors don't make any sense.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
for half as much, you can buy CX 48 which is a far far better display. These monitors don't make any sense.

Ultimately it's because OLED Manufacturing has neither the time or money to serve the PC crowd. Even companies that could make it happen - like Apple or Samsung - have made 100% of their bet on MicroLED. The TV and smartphone markets are just too profitable by comparison, and so we get mini-LED FALD monsters like this until MicroLED has a path to market.

LG's CX 48 is for sure an interesting product, but it's telling that the smallest size they could make is 48". That's ~92ppi, suggesting (perhaps) that these are actually panels that failed at bigger sizes and are cut to fit. Sort of like B-stock. 48" is still a perfectly acceptable (if unpopular) size in the TV space, but it's massively past the current limits of the PC monitor market. I'm really interested to see if it works out as a Windows display or not, after a few months of usage, and how many desks out there could properly support it. (the stand does not appear to allow flat-wall mounting, but we don't have a good review yet)

Sadly here in Singapore the CX is not viable either, CX55 is ~4000 dollars (2.8k USD) since the manufacturers have price controls. :(

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Not everybody wants a 48'' display. For one, on a desk, it would need to be pretty deep. Some people may not be comfortable, for whatever reason, maining an OLED screen for PC use. Some people may like to keep their setups separate.

I have the 27UQ, the predecessor to the 32'' monitor I linked. I also have an OLED. I've got a wife and a kid as well. I don't want to put my PC in my living room. I wouldn't buy the 48'' CX just because it's a better buy dollar wise than the 32'' Asus. It doesn't fit my current situation no matter how good or nice it is. That monitor will be expensive. Would I pay MSRP? Probably not. But it will still be a hell of a monitor for gaming and just about everything else.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
LG's CX 48 is for sure an interesting product, but it's telling that the smallest size they could make is 48". That's ~92ppi, suggesting (perhaps) that these are actually panels that failed at bigger sizes and are cut to fit. Sort of like B-stock. 48" is still a perfectly acceptable (if unpopular) size in the TV space, but it's massively past the current limits of the PC monitor market. I'm really interested to see if it works out as a Windows display or not, after a few months of usage, and how many desks out there could properly support it. (the stand does not appear to allow flat-wall mounting, but we don't have a good review yet)

I'm pretty sure the CX 48" is as bespoke a model as any other in LG's range, from what I remember reading over the years the reason they didn't manufacture smaller models before was that the production lines were optimized for the bigger panels and it would've been more expensive to make smaller ones. Now that LG Display has new factories up and running and they can better meet the demand, they can also widen the model range. Also, from what little I understand of the manufacturing process, it isn't possible to cut down bigger panels to salvage them, and I don't think they even have a model with the same PPI that could theoretically be converted to a smaller display.

I'm eagerly waiting for the CX 48" to come out to replace my 43" Sony XD8005 as a secondary/media/gaming monitor. I'll keep my 32" ips display for pure desktop usage, but after 5 years with 9100 HD oled I'm not worried. Flatpanels.hd has what I think is the first review of the CX-line up, the stand is removable and the tv has normal vesa-mounts, so no worries there.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm eagerly waiting for the CX 48" to come out to replace my 43" Sony XD8005 as a secondary/media/gaming monitor. I'll keep my 32" ips display for pure desktop usage, but after 5 years with 9100 HD oled I'm not worried. Flatpanels.hd has what I think is the first review of the CX-line up, the stand is removable and the tv has normal vesa-mounts, so no worries there.

Interesting! Well, I have my doubts about a 48" panel in any kind of desk setup but if any panel could make it compelling, it's this one. It's thin enough to work as a flat wall display, which could be really interesting if your desk is backed against a flat wall. And as alluded to, $1500 is a way better price than the $3000+ FALD screens. Just need a good 300x200 VESA mount. In any case it sounds like if you want a truly high end display it's best to wait out the summer for these expensive panels to see market.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want to buy a second monitor. I am looking for a 27 inch 4K with high refresh and g-sync so I checked and find PG27UQ which is perfectly fine for me but the problem is I don't use HDR. I believe Asus had another monitor with the same specs and no HDR with cheaper price but I cant find it. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm very excited to share that I completed my first build and I only wanted to quit 5 times during the build process! 🙌 😂

In all seriousness, it was about as tough as I expected. Frustrating at times, but my biggest challenge came when trying to get past the BIOS and install off of a thumb drive that I created on a Mac. For some reason, it wasn't playing well at all, but in the end, YouTube videos and old posts on forums helped out.

So, here it is! Parts below. I'll be using it for After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, and Photoshop. I also plan on some FPSes here and there as well as some Rocket League. I'd love to know how I can get the best performance out of this thing. Not going to overclock for now, but I might in the near future.

As an aside, I am coming over from a late 2014 27" retina iMac. So, while the monitor on my old iMac was better, the performance and ultrawide view on my custom rig are well worth it so far.

ctpmcYF.jpg

2HAjirT.jpg

jdQMGkv.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
Storage: Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Wireless Gaming Keyboard GameSir GK300
Mouse: Logitech G602

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Update. New PSU arrived, plugged everything in and nothing coming from the the pc at all - no sign of life in it. The motherboard is supposed to have "ez debugging LEDs" but none of these light up.. I've no idea what to do here..

Sorry to hear :/ If you can, remove every part from the case and try to power on the PC with all components lying on a non-conductive surface.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure where else to ask this question other than here. What are the absolute smallest options for a motherboard that it is possible to connect a GPU to? I don't mind if it's something bespoke that needs tearing out of a prebuilt machine (like from an Alienware Alpha, Steam machine etc.), nor if it is a few years old.

Basically I want something for playing retro style games like Sonic Mania at 240p on a CRT TV using CRT Emudriver and an old Radeon GPU (one with a DVI-I output for converting to VGA then RGB Scart externally). The key thing is though, I want to cram it into the shell of an old console like a Mega Drive or Saturn, so I need something as small as possible. Mini ITX is the only one I know that has a PCI port, but I think that'll be too big.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Not really sure where else to ask this question other than here. What are the absolute smallest options for a motherboard that it is possible to connect a GPU to? I don't mind if it's something bespoke that needs tearing out of a prebuilt machine (like from an Alienware Alpha, Steam machine etc.), nor if it is a few years old.

Basically I want something for playing retro style games like Sonic Mania at 240p on a CRT TV using CRT Emudriver and an old Radeon GPU (one with a DVI-I output for converting to VGA then RGB Scart externally). The key thing is though, I want to cram it into the shell of an old console like a Mega Drive or Saturn, so I need something as small as possible. Mini ITX is the only one I know that has a PCI port, but I think that'll be too big.
an ITX board would fit in a Saturn but the GPU and PSU would be a problem, a NES case might be better, but you'll probably have to do alot of work either way.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth

Some Thin-Mini-ITX boards also have a PCIe slot. But if you are going through VGA anyway, wouldn't a DisplayPort->VGA->RGB chain work as well? Then you could use the iGPU of the CPU and opt for an Intel NUC (especially if 3d graphic performance is of little concern).

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Thats 15GB/s
e5acszTcHXp57ANm.jpg

PC tech never sit still.
i thought pcie 4.0 maxed out at 7gb/s? and 5.0 would be 14gb/s?

what am i missing?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Some Thin-Mini-ITX boards also have a PCIe slot. But if you are going through VGA anyway, wouldn't a DisplayPort->VGA->RGB chain work as well? Then you could use the iGPU of the CPU and opt for an Intel NUC (especially if 3d graphic performance is of little concern).
Unfortunately I really do need an old AMD GPU in there, to work with a CRT TV I've got to force the output to 15khz via a modified driver. While it is possible with older Nvidia cards as well by setting a custom resolution, that runs the risk of damaging the CRT if the resolution happens to changes at any point (like boot screens).