• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
General rule of thumb is 120mm fronts if you expect to go to 3 later, 2x140mm fronts for quietest/easiest install. You align one to the top (intake - pointing towards your Dark Rock 4) and one to the bottom (sitting on top of the PSU shroud, so it's aimed at your video card. Then you put the Meshify C fans on the exhaust (back) and exhaust (top/back) for a relatively balanced airflow. Again, get rid of that drive tray if you don't intend to use it 😅

Very kind and informative post, thank you! I'll admit I was going to wing all of that, and now I won't have to 😅

I did it because my kid is obsessed with looking inside. But it *is* pretty cool, and if nothing else you can confirm that all of the fans are working! But it's a slippery slope; you may one day end up looking at RGB strips!

I believe it's possible to make such things look beautiful ... But it takes restraint, and it's not something I'm remotely interested in doing myself. But as you say, watch this space 😀

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this Coronavirus isolation has got me thinking about doing an upgrade on my computer.

Here are my current specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 16Gb (8x2) G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200

Here is what I am thinking of upgrading to:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Black
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
RAM: add another set of G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 (8x2)

Anyway, just wondering if this CPU upgrade is really worth it. My i7 still plays games without fail, so it's not like I need this upgrade unless it offers a decent performance upgrade over what I have.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like my GPU in my PC is kaput. A 1070, i've had it since launch. A bunch of tiny red squares appeared on the screen while gaming and my PC crashed, and now it appears fairly consistently when trying to play a game. It has gotten worse, and now it will happen right when i bootup windows and tries to load the graphics driver i assume. If i can get past that and I don't run a game the PC works fine though, haha. I have tried everything to fix it except a full windows install.

I have a 3600x, and 90% of my gaming on a PC is playing overwatch on all low settings on a 165 fps G-SYNC monitor. I remember overwatch barely used up any resources on my 1070 while playing it, its mainly a CPU game for high framerates i believe.

Please recommend me a card. Budget is $400, but if i can get by with a $150 card that will be great as i pretty much only play overwatch. I dunno if i should get a cheap card now and use it for a year or two then upgrade, or just get a 2070 now.

Thanks, and remember i need it ASAP. Looking to order it tonight for i don't end up PC-less when my GPU fully kicks the bucket.
In your case I would just get a cheap/used 1660 Super and wait for new cards.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
I'm debating getting a new monitor. Right now I've got a Acer XF270HU freesync (g-sync compatible). It's really good; ips, 1440p, 144mhz, and 4ms but I'm wonder if I could get something way better on a 600usd budget.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Anyway, just wondering if this CPU upgrade is really worth it. My i7 still plays games without fail, so it's not like I need this upgrade unless it offers a decent performance upgrade over what I have.

Worth it? No. I think with the 7700K you can afford to wait until Ryzen 4000. And since it's for games the #1 upgrade should really be your videocard (unspecified).

I'm debating getting a new monitor. Right now I've got a Acer XF270HU freesync (g-sync compatible). It's really good; 1440p, 144mhz, and 4ms but I'm wonder if I could get something way better on a 600usd budget.

If you're happy with 1440p144 TN, I would stick with it. The next level up would be going IPS (same specs) and potentially G-Sync. 4K is out there but can be awkward on Windows, especially if you don't (a) upsize to 32" and (b) don't have a fully capable video card (2070 Super+, ideally even better than that). The 4K market is also a bit stunted waiting on nextgen HDMI and DisplayPort.

The other direction you can go is ultrawide, but ymmv there. Lots of options, but not great for everybody.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I really want to hit 144fps in more games and reduce my minimum frame rate in general. I'm rocking an 8600k at 4.8GHz and GTX 1080 ATM and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 3800 whenever they're released but I'm not sure if my CPU will hold me back.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
If you're happy with 1440p144 TN, I would stick with it. The next level up would be going IPS (same specs) and potentially G-Sync. 4K is out there but can be awkward on Windows, especially if you don't (a) upsize to 32" and (b) don't have a fully capable video card (2070 Super+, ideally even better than that). The 4K market is also a bit stunted waiting on nextgen HDMI and DisplayPort.

The other direction you can go is ultrawide, but ymmv there. Lots of options, but not great for everybody.

Sorry I should have clarified this is the ips model and I do have a 2070s (which I'll upgrade when nvidia puts out a new card.)

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Sorry I should have clarified this is the ips model and I do have a 2070s (which I'll upgrade when nvidia puts out a new card.)

Then it depends on what you clarify as "better"
  • Ultrawide (21:9 or 32:9, though these are all VA)
  • High Res (4K or 5K)
  • FALD GSync (probably way out of your price range)
For 1440p, you're already IPS and presumably 350cd/m2 so there's not really much to improve. You would notice a change in peak brightness (HDR600, but out of price range probably?) and screen size (32"-35", but these are VA panels) There are now 165hz/170hz IPS but that's hardly worth the cost.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So this Coronavirus isolation has got me thinking about doing an upgrade on my computer.

A 7700k? I doubt it. Maybe if you're going for super high FPS in specific games. You can probably find some benchmarks that feature both to give you an idea.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
My 2070 Super crapped out, and thankfully the guys at Best Buy were very accommodating.

They didn't have another 2070 Super in stock, and because of shipping concerns around the pandemic they offered an a 2080 Super with a discount. Walked out having to pay 100 bucks for the upgrade.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

A 7700k? I doubt it. Maybe if you're going for super high FPS in specific games. You can probably find some benchmarks that feature both to give you an idea.
I upgraded from a 6700k to 3900x and open games were a huge improvement for me. No microstutters anymore.

Tricky Diver

Oct 28, 2017
UK / USA
Not a gaming question but just wondering if anybody has any advice about monitors.

I'm setting up a small home office for my business / consulting work. I will be mobile most of the time so instead of a desktop I will be docking my Dell XPS 13 using a Thunderbolt Dock. I won't be gaming on this at all / hardly ever. Just for office work/productivity / (no image/video editing) some media consumption and general browsing.

Will probably be going for a dual monitor setup.

My questions:

Are 4K monitors worth it in this situation and if so would my machine even be capable of driving them? Is 1440p the way to go instead? I really value screen real estate for my work but I've read so much conflicting advice that I'm confused.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Are 4K monitors worth it in this situation and if so would my machine even be capable of driving them? Is 1440p the way to go instead? I really value screen real estate for my work but I've read so much conflicting advice that I'm confused.

I vastly prefer ultra wide for productivity over dual monitor.

After using a 32" curved VA for a few years...my productivity opinion is pretty clear
  • IPS
  • Ideally 350 cd/m2 or higher brightness
  • Flat screen (not curved)
I think a flat IPS ultrawide would be great for productivity, if there are any...? But I'm done with curved VA panels for any kind of relatively serious work. The extra screen space is nice but I'd rather have, say, two 27" IPS 1440p than a curved VA 32:9. Of course, this depends on the sort of work you're doing, but for me I found the geometrical and light-casting problems of a big curved VA was just more trouble than it was worth for gamedev and Office 365. As a result I switched from 32" 1440p144 VA curved to 27" 1440p144 IPS and frankly find it a more enjoyable experience.

To answer Tricky Diver 4K has its purpose, but generally my 4K experience on Windows 10 has been a drag. 1440p is the ideal 27" panel res, so for 4K I would really be looking at a 32" panel. Most apps have updated to support 4K but ymmv on what causes Windows problems or slowness. Certainly I would prefer to have a modern graphics card first. The XPS 13 can likely drive it but I can't imagine it would be a great experience; I'd think you'd be much better off with a 1440p panel. The extra screen space is fantastic. You can go even further as I believe LG sells 21:9 IPS panels, but it depends on your budget.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Unless you need more cores, hold out.

The IPC different between Zen 2 and Skylake is negligible IIRC and would be money down the drain for purely gaming purposes.

FWIW i've been on a 6700K since later 2015 and I'm aiming to get through next-gen on this too! :P

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

The IPC different between Zen 2 and Skylake is negligible IIRC and would be money down the drain for purely gaming purposes.

FWIW i've been on a 6700K since later 2015 and I'm aiming to get through next-gen on this too! :P
Good luck!

I had a 6700K and replaced it. Minimum I'd go for is a 6 core CPU if you want to try get through next gen. A 6700K will heavily bottleneck any GPU that is about the same as next gen or better.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks... I'm know this is for desktop PCs, but I can't find a laptop thread. I'm trying to decide between two laptops. All the specs are identical except their CPU:

i5-1035G1
or
AMD Ryzen 3500u

Just so you know, laptops with the new Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs are rolling out now.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
To answer Tricky Diver 4K has its purpose, but generally my 4K experience on Windows 10 has been a drag. 1440p is the ideal 27" panel res, so for 4K I would really be looking at a 32" panel. Most apps have updated to support 4K but ymmv on what causes Windows problems or slowness. Certainly I would prefer to have a modern graphics card first. The XPS 13 can likely drive it but I can't imagine it would be a great experience; I'd think you'd be much better off with a 1440p panel. The extra screen space is fantastic. You can go even further as I believe LG sells 21:9 IPS panels, but it depends on your budget.

How has it been a drag? I've been using it since 2018, with no major issues that I can recall off the top of my head.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I been playing around on pcpartpicker today but I can't seem to narrow down the parts. My wife set a $1500 budget for us. I'd like to hit 4k60 but it's not make or break, I know I can upgrade later. I also have to include a monitor in that budget and MS Windows. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Megauap

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Are there really issues with a dual monitor setup where monitor 1 is 1440p144hz G-sync and monitor 2 is 1440p60hz?
I read on several sites that Windows has problems with this type of setup to correctly display 144hz and G-sync on monitor 1 if there is any multimedia content playing on the 60hz monitor 2.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I been playing around on pcpartpicker today but I can't seem to narrow down the parts. My wife set a $1500 budget for us. I'd like to hit 4k60 but it's not make or break, I know I can upgrade later. I also have to include a monitor in that budget and MS Windows. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I'd guess something like this. If there's a little room in the budget, go up to a 3700x for another $100.

The NVMe drive here is a budget drive, huge file transfers (like copying a full game install from another PC) will slow way down, but playing games, downloading from Steam, etc. is still perfectly fine/fast. A middle option between SATA SSDs (about the same price for drive w/ DRAM) and premium NVMes (which at the moment run like $40-$60 more).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($106.99 @ Other World Computing)
Monitor: LG 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor ($299.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1454.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-30 12:43 EDT-0400

Last edited:

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017

The CPU upgrade would be substantial here depending on the kinds of games you play. Games like AC:Odyssey ran significantly smoother on my 3900x over my i7-4700k. Microstuttering on 4 core CPUs is pretty noticeable and annoying in a lot of recent titles. 4 cores will be a limiting factor as time goes on, get at least an 8 core processor IMO.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess something like this. If there's a little room in the budget, go up to a 3700x for another $100.

The NVMe drive here is a budget drive, huge file transfers (like copying a full game install from another PC) will slow way down, but playing games, downloading from Steam, etc. is still perfectly fine/fast. A middle option between SATA SSDs (about the same price for drive w/ DRAM) and premium NVMes (which at the moment run like $40-$60 more).

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($106.99 @ Other World Computing)
I noticed that the AMD builds don't include coolers. Is that not necessary for AMD builds? Thanks for the response.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
20200310_172104o7k01.png

Drawing with my finger is hard haha.
Worth it? No. I think with the 7700K you can afford to wait until Ryzen 4000. And since it's for games the #1 upgrade should really be your videocard (unspecified).

I upgraded from a 6700k to 3900x and open games were a huge improvement for me. No microstutters anymore.

The CPU upgrade would be substantial here depending on the kinds of games you play. Games like AC:Odyssey ran significantly smoother on my 3900x over my i7-4700k. Microstuttering on 4 core CPUs is pretty noticeable and annoying in a lot of recent titles. 4 cores will be a limiting factor as time goes on, get at least an 8 core processor IMO.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Always count on this thread as a great resource.

I guess I will save my money rather than have a small update in performance.

I'll next take a look at the new nVidia cards when they are announced (currently have a GTX 1080).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honored to be among those quoted haha. Literally just beat SotC again for the umptieth time in search of secret coins. Just figured I'd add that in because of the coincidence lol.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017

PCPartPicker Part List

So I took what you responded with and tweaked it a bit. Is this decent? I actually already had the monitor you posted but thought I'd need a new one in order to take advantage of 1440/4k. I should have added that I would most likely be having to order everything off of Amazon to take advantage of Prime. I was trying to get all the parts in ASAP so I could take advantage of being at home all week. I don't mind paying a bit more for certain parts.

System Builder

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So I took what you responded with and tweaked it a bit. Is this decent? I actually already had the monitor you posted but thought I'd need a new one in order to take advantage of 1440/4k. I should have added that I would most likely be having to order everything off of Amazon to take advantage of Prime. I was trying to get all the parts in ASAP so I could take advantage of being at home all week. I don't mind paying a bit more for certain parts.

System Builder

I'd think that build would work. Not sure on your new total via Amazon, but if there's room to spare, could consider a faster NVMe: ADATA SX8200 Pro, HP EX950, Sabrent Rocket.

As for playing 1440p on 4K, I'm probably not the one to ask. Looks like it's probably fine, but not quite as sharp as native 1440p. Or you can adjust resolution scaling on games that support it, or reduce graphical settings a bit as needed. The 5700 XT should be a pretty decent card @ 4K.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom is making me realize it's finally time to retire the old 4690k. It's had a hell of a run. I'm gonna go all new build minus moving my GTX 1080 over, since I want to wait till 3080 to upgrade that.

Would it be better to get the 3800x and call it a day, or save a few hundred on a 3600 and upgrade to a 4000 series CPU when they release? Will the X570 boards be able to 'fully utilize' the 4000s?

Oct 28, 2017
Doom is making me realize it's finally time to retire the old 4690k. It's had a hell of a run. I'm gonna go all new build minus moving my GTX 1080 over, since I want to wait till 3080 to upgrade that.

Would it be better to get the 3800x and call it a day, or save a few hundred on a 3600 and upgrade to a 4000 series CPU when they release? Will the X570 boards be able to 'fully utilize' the 4000s?
Most recommend a 3700x over the 3800x. The increased price doesn't make much real world difference.

Also I think a X570 board would be best for newer CPUs as well, we aren't that far off. The ones that are sub $200 are just fine, the ASUS TUF is enjoyed by many.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most recommend a 3700x over the 3800x. The increased price doesn't make much real world difference.

Also I think a X570 board would be best for newer CPUs as well, we aren't that far off. The ones that are sub $200 are just fine, the ASUS TUF is enjoyed by many.
Holy crap I didn't realize it was only like 2fps better when it comes to games lol. That's 40 bucks that can go to better RAM or something.

I'm definitely going X570, i don't see any reason not to with, like you said, good boards in the 150-160 range. I've got the MSI A PRO on my list right now just being an MSI fan. Are there any new features that are on some boards and not others I need to keep an eye out for? I remember seeing a new PCIe is coming, but I haven't paid much attention to it yet.

As for my 4000 series question, I'm wondering if it's worth forgoing the 3700x for the cheaper 3600 and then going 4000 series right away when it comes out. Will the X570's take full advantage of them or will it be a situation of 'well the X670 boards are better at this this and this.'

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap I didn't realize it was only like 2fps better when it comes to games lol. That's 40 bucks that can go to better RAM or something.

I'm definitely going X570, i don't see any reason not to with, like you said, good boards in the 150-160 range. I've got the MSI A PRO on my list right now just being an MSI fan. Are there any new features that are on some boards and not others I need to keep an eye out for? I remember seeing a new PCIe is coming, but I haven't paid much attention to it yet.

As for my 4000 series question, I'm wondering if it's worth forgoing the 3700x for the cheaper 3600 and then going 4000 series right away when it comes out. Will the X570's take full advantage of them or will it be a situation of 'well the X670 boards are better at this this and this.'
Oh I totally misread your second question lol. I agree going with a 3600 is better for now, saving money for 4000 series unless you truly need the CPU power difference now.

I don't know much about boards though. I personally never use the fancy features of the ones I've had.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good, recent 24'' 240hz monitors? I'm strongly considering adding one to my setup to compliment my main 4k panel, but good recs seem to be monitors that are 2+ years old.

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's been a while since I last built my computer but I think I'm finally retiring my 2600k. I'm almost depressed about it if I'm being honest, it's been such a workhorse since I built my PC back in 2010, more than worth the $300 price I paid for it. But it's at its limits(maybe for too long now), and I'm in need of a new PC.

Here's what I've got so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-30 22:43 EDT-0400

The idea being that I'm taking the OP's advice and will replace both the processor and the GPU with the next refresh when they come out. I'm also considering getting an Ultrawide (I'm looking at the Dell AW3420DW ) and I think these specs are good enough but if anyone has a 2nd opinion feel free to share.

Any glaring issues?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
After using a 32" curved VA for a few years...my productivity opinion is pretty clear
  • IPS
  • Ideally 350 cd/m2 or higher brightness
  • Flat screen (not curved)
I think a flat IPS ultrawide would be great for productivity, if there are any...? But I'm done with curved VA panels for any kind of relatively serious work. The extra screen space is nice but I'd rather have, say, two 27" IPS 1440p than a curved VA 32:9. Of course, this depends on the sort of work you're doing, but for me I found the geometrical and light-casting problems of a big curved VA was just more trouble than it was worth for gamedev and Office 365. As a result I switched from 32" 1440p144 VA curved to 27" 1440p144 IPS and frankly find it a more enjoyable experience.

This is probably quite personal I guess, because I am the opposite (except I've never had curved screens of any sort) - I find IPS usually looks horrendous, with a very uneven grey / yellow / even orange in the corners "black", a lot of the time thinking there is backlight bleed but no, that's just how it is. I far prefer a (flat) VA panel with it's inky solid blacks and wonderful contrast!

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Well, it's been a while since I last built my computer but I think I'm finally retiring my 2600k. I'm almost depressed about it if I'm being honest, it's been such a workhorse since I built my PC back in 2010, more than worth the $300 price I paid for it. But it's at its limits(maybe for too long now), and I'm in need of a new PC.

Here's what I've got so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-30 22:43 EDT-0400

The idea being that I'm taking the OP's advice and will replace both the processor and the GPU with the next refresh when they come out. I'm also considering getting an Ultrawide (I'm looking at the Dell AW3420DW ) and I think these specs are good enough but if anyone has a 2nd opinion feel free to share.

Any glaring issues?
There's nothing glaring about the build.

The case doesn't look remarkable from the perspective of thermals, but looking around, it seems about as good as any other case at that price.
If you wanted to sacrifice some write speed for storage capacity, you could change the SSD for a different brand. I think WD has a 1TB NVMe SSD for 125 bucks.
The ram could be slightly faster. That would be an additional 20 bucks? Corsair should offer 16GB of DDR4-3600 for 100 bucks.

That system looks good, though.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's true.

I did find a few, though:

Alienware AW2521HF
MSI Optix MAG251RX
LG 27GN750B

These look to be the second wave of 240hz panels, sporting IPS panels. That's what I meant by more "recent". Developments in the space like IPS @ 240hz, which to my knowledge, weren't available when 240hz started hitting the ground.

That's fair, but I'm still rocking this bad boy when it was the monitor the OWL used during the 2017-2018 season. It hasn't failed me yet, and I got it on sale back then for $300 Canadian.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
There's nothing glaring about the build.

The case doesn't look remarkable from the perspective of thermals, but looking around, it seems about as good as any other case at that price.
If you wanted to sacrifice some write speed for storage capacity, you could change the SSD for a different brand. I think WD has a 1TB NVMe SSD for 125 bucks.
The ram could be slightly faster. That would be an additional 20 bucks? Corsair should offer 16GB of DDR4-3600 for 100 bucks.

That system looks good, though.
Yes they have, but not with 3500 MB/s reading/writing speed, it's about 2.5 times slower than that, so if his motherboard has two m2 slots, like mine, i think it's the right choice to get 500GB of the fastest SSD he can get now and then add another one later this or next year when prices will fall. Xbox Series X SSD will have 2400 mb/s reading speed and PS5's over 5000 mb/s, so getting one with 3500 MB/s should be future-proof for multiplatform AAA next gen games on PC.
That said though, instead of spending more on Samsung i would get the Sabrent Rocket 512GB, it has similar specs and good reviews but it's way cheaper

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hi guys, I knew we had one of these threads. Just been toying with the thought of building something due to time and the stimulus check. A big motivation for me is if I can find this cool old pc case my dad had years ago in our stuff he still has it in our stuff(he rarely tosses out PCs for business reasons, it was a prebuilt custom so it was a cool case) that I could salvage as a starting point. So I won't be digging in too deep till I can find that(or confirm we don't have it anymore). But I'm just after a mid level rig so I can play my older games, emulation and some sim games at a decent level without chugging along with my dabbling in some sprite and photo editing and a maybe bringing back some of old 3D modeling hobby(nothing high level). Plus some modern Gundam games. I'm no crazy shiny graphics guy, I go back and play n64 games on original hardware. 1080 and ~60fps is all I need and I'm not playing that many modern games. Just after something better than my low end modern laptop or my ~10ish year old gaming laptop that's gotten extremely unstable. And I have time to tinker(plus I have some family members that'd love if I could get core level Hardware/software pc troubleshooting down).

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Switching to the new M.2 SSD went perfectly, thanks again for the suggestion on the program. I only realised afterwards that it has an annoying activity light, I'll have to cover it with some insulating tape maybe.

Feb 1, 2018
Is it worth upgrading a 4690k system with new cooling (chassis and CPU fans), a new GPU (something budget), and a nice deep case cleaning and cable managing and a fresh W10 install or should I gut it and put in a 1600AF and b450 mobo. What's the better use of $300? It already has a 256GB m.2 ssd

I already updated the BIOS and the fan curves are noticeably better

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth upgrading a 4690k system with new cooling (chassis and CPU fans), a new GPU (something budget), and a nice deep case cleaning and cable managing and a fresh W10 install or should I gut it and put in a 1600AF and b450 mobo. What's the better use of $300? It already has a 256GB m.2 ssd

I already updated the BIOS and the fan curves are noticeably better
What GPU do you have?