• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Buyer's Guide

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
resetera PC Builders Thread v3.0

Welcome to the PC Builders Thread, where we talk about computer hardware! Whether you're upgrading your existing computer, want to build a new one, have a question, or just like talking about computers in general - we've got you covered! Now with even more ARGB!

Section: Buyer's Guide

CPUs: BUY (5/2023)
Best: Ryzen 7800X3D / Core i9 13700K
Melting issue aside, the 7800X3D is generally the best gaming CPU today. But the 13700K, despite being a power consumption smokestack, is also supremely capable. There are lots of good CPU choices on the market right now, and the next gen is still ~6 months away.

GPUs: BUY (5/2023)
Best: RTX 4080 / 4090
The GPU market continues to see prices tank as the bitcoin world exited and demand floundered. We are starting to see more value-oriented GPUs like the 4060ti-16GB. But the old days of the best GPUs being $500 or less are long gone. Possible refreshes probably won't happen until November, so it's still a good time to buy now if you see a card in your price range.

SSDs: BUY (5/2023)
Sweet Spot: 1TB M.2 NVMe (PCIe 4.0)
Gen5 is here, and it's very expensive. So the best perf is still looking at a 1TB NVMe in the Gen4 flavor.

MONITORS: BUY (5/2023)
Sweet Spot: 27" 1440p (IPS) @ 165hz

Section: Programs for your New Build

Setup and Overclocking
Want to know exactly what you bought? Or figure out what kind of overclocking room you may have? Try these.
  • CPU-Z: Displays CPU, Motherboard, and Memory info.
  • GPU-Z: Displays extremely detailed Graphics Card info.
  • MSI Afterburner: Videocard overclocking, temps, fans. Works on non-MSI cards.
  • AMD Ryzen Master: Overclocking/temps for AMD CPUs. Installs some power plans that are good for AMD Builds.
  • WizTree: Visual display of your files, great for figuring out how to make space on your SSD.
  • Macrium Reflect Free Edition: Clone a drive or make an exact backup for later.
  • HWiNFO: Not as obvious as CPU-Z but it lets you do realtime temperature/fan monitoring, if you need that.
Benchmarking
Want to test exactly how fast your new build is? Try these.
Stress Testing
Concerned there could be an error or stability issue? These can help by stress-testing parts of your system to dig out the problems.
  • OCCT - CPU/GPU/PSU (perfect for finding power supply issues and more)
  • Karhu RAM Test - Memory (paid, but fast/surefire to find problems. Use OCCT if you don't want to pay)

Ydeoxj1.png

(Let me know if there's a preferred shop in your region of the world...)
  • Amazon: The defacto world store. Some counterfeits now and then but they do try to crack down on it.
  • NewEgg: Also has a big world presence now. Trusted PC parts seller.
  • MicroCenter (USA): Has a lot of US retail locations, but also functions as an online retailer.
  • Memory Express / Canada Computers (CANADA): Trusted Canada parts dealers with some retail shops.
  • Lazada (Singapore): Generally the place for parts if you don't want to go to Sim Lim.
  • Reddit: r/buildapcsales is a good source to keep an eye out for details if you use Amazon/NewEgg/MicroCenter/etc.
Pricing Tools
  • PCPartPicker: Price out your own build online, share with us, or just use it as a reminder for your build in the future. (There is a region selector in the top-right for different pricing)
  • Geizhals (Austria/Germany) AKA Skinflint (UK/Poland) are a recommended alternative to PartPicker in Europe. They often have a broader selection of parts and sellers listed.

Hu7jwtC.png

Answering these questions will help us recommend or put together a build for you:
  1. What's your budget and currency?
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?)
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer?
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects)

GnAC3li.png

There are plenty of options out there if you don't want to take our word for it...
How-To's and Guides

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I will definitely update the builds as soon as the flood of Intel/Nvidia starts to hit. I wanted to do some new builds but just building the thread took some time. Builds is a project on its own. Thankfully Soda has great builds already!

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Re-posting my build which I finished this week!

Here's the finished build:
20200313-210559.jpg

20200313-210752.jpg

NZXT H510 Elite Case
ASUS TUF X570 Wifi Plus
AMD 3700x
NZXT Kraken X62 Cooler
2080 Super
32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 DDR4
250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
2TB WD Blue
1TB WD Black (from my prior build)
650W EVGA SuperNova NEX

signal

Oct 28, 2017
3jV1GxJ.png

Not buying this but r8.

Oh just saw the GPU wait recommendation. Fine. . . . . .

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Well now is a good a time as any to ask, PC Era help me put fans in this case (Thermaltake Versa H17). Im not overclocking so I don't need anything fancy, but I'm not sure how many and what I should be buying. Fans/cooling is the one area I have ZERO knowledge about. It came with the one rear exhaust fan

jX5toht.jpg

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
This is my current setup, and then what I'm hoping I can upgrade to later in the year. As of now, what I'm most worried about is changing my case, to be honest. Anyone here using the NZXT H710i? Just looking to see what people think.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I might as well post my build, as I got it in late-January/early-February, and she's my gaming & work station.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Motherboard: MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carobon
RAM: 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 DDR4 (D. Clock Speed - 3800Mhz/Current Clock Speed - 4332Mhz)
Storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Cooling: Kraken X72
Case: NZXT H710i Matte Black

nl7j1kp.jpg

I'm planning on getting a couple of HDD's for storage and maybe another SSD. I haven't decided just yet.

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for ryzen 4000 series to upgrade my 2600. Depending on prices I may get the 4700/X or get the discounted 3700X
Also waiting on Ampere, though my 1080 Ti is still kicking ass

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
With everything going on I am postponing my PC build for now. Keeping tabs on the thread in the meantime and I assure there will be some questions in my head when I start the build later on.

KdotIX

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Many thanks for the reply in the previous thread. Hopefully the wait for the new NVidia cards is not too long away.
Till then I'll pull together the rest of the build and I'll post some pics of the finished article.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Well now is a good a time as any to ask, PC Era help me put fans in this case (Thermaltake Versa H17). Im not overclocking so I don't need anything fancy, but I'm not sure how many and what I should be buying. Fans/cooling is the one area I have ZERO knowledge about. It came with the one rear exhaust fan

I would go 2x 120mm fans on the front of the case, aligned to the top. That way they should blow at your CPU cooler. The back 120mm is already there to suck the air out. You could add another 120mm on the top to exhaust but it's hardly critical; maybe if you found a cheap 3 pack of fans or something.

While the front and top technically support 140mm it really looks like it will cause more problems than its worth. Similarly I wouldn't want a 3x120mm fan setup because the third fan would just be sitting in the PSU shroud at the bottom.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, i want to thank Nachtmaer and Vulcano's Assistant for their advice, but something came and i can't follow it, for now.

Still, i got a deal for an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports duo, at barely 30 €

arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-rojo-disipador-cpu-001.jpg

Kind of ugly, but no RGB nonsense and, judging by the reviews, it seems to get the job done both cooling wise and noise wise (More silent than the Wraith Stealth at least). The Ryzen 3600 temps are tollerable for now, but once we get into full summer that thing is going to be HOT and NOISY

Oct 30, 2017
What is the best video card with 6gb of vram that will play re3 and doom eternal at 1080p with 60fps? Have 180$ and trying to stretch that as much as I can, also going from Gtx 760 2gb so anything will be a monumental leap.

I am thinking Gtx 1650 to stay in budget.

I am looking at stretch I am thinking these 2:

Evga

Gigabyte

mid there are better deals or cards below the 230$ mark please point me to them! Thank you!

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
AMD GPUs WAIT (For Driver fixes)
AMD has been hampered by widespread driver problems. The next GPU (RX 6000? Big Navi?) is currently thought to be releasing November or December 2020.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Getting restless for some Ampere news. And one day I'll upgrade my case. Air 540 still hanging in.

Crazymoogle What about a case section in the OP? Mainly for selfish reasons, but it might be a nice addition to the info stack.

May 31, 2018
Ohio
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but its relevant.

First, where is the best place to sell computers parts? Pulled some items from an old build, and wanted to try to recoup some of the losses.

For ERA have a buy/sell page, or thread?

Thanks guys.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone talk me out of dropping £700 on an ASUS PG279Q? As I said in the last thread my PC is a few years old (1070+i5-6600k) so won't be maxing anything out, are there many well reviewed cheaper options out there with g-sync, 144hz, 1440p?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
May 31, 2018
Ohio

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
Is something like this worth it for a first gaming PC?

https://www.letsbld.com/h1-mini-pc

How capable is the RTX 2070? There's a lot of current gen titles that I wish I could play in 4K but they were either never patched to support higher resolutions after the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X were released or they just don't support those resolutions on consoles. Would an RTX 2070 and i9 9900K combo allow me to play games like the Division 1 in 4K 30 fps/60fps? What about Cyberpunk 2077? Or at that point would I need an RTX 2080 Ti?

With next gen consoles on the horizon, I'm basically debating between investing in a moderately capable rig or something that spares little if any costs in terms of power, performance, size, etc. (i.e., as linked below).

https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step5?price=2500&draft=7960751435

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

https://www.letsbld.com/h1-mini-pc

How capable is the RTX 2070? There's a lot of current gen titles that I wish I could play in 4K but they were either never patched to support higher resolutions after the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X were released or they just don't support those resolutions on consoles. Would an RTX 2070 and i9 9900K combo allow me to play games like the Division 1 in 4K 30 fps/60fps? What about Cyberpunk 2077? Or at that point would I need an RTX 2080 Ti?

With next gen consoles on the horizon, I'm basically debating between investing in a moderately capable rig or something that spares little if any costs in terms of power, performance, size, etc. (i.e., as linked below).

https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step5?price=2500&draft=7960751435
That's not a very good cost for performance

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Just want to give a shout-out to the people in this thread who have helped so many people, myself included, with building our first PCs and answering so many questions. You guys are the best!

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Fresh new shiny thread. Still waiting to see what the next generation of CPU's end up looking like.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Always been a laptop guy. Finally decided to jump in with the sharks. Hoping I can make CEMU run flawlessly. This is for emulation.

tPXgaNL_d.jpg

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
That's not a very good cost for performance

For which build? The first one? The second one? Both? I did a comparison for the H1 configuration using PC part picker and the price came out to be pretty much the same so not sure if you're talking about the cost associated with going prebuilt or the specific CPU/GPU combo.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
That new thread smell! Perfect timing too, as I just put together a HTPC build I could use to entertain friends (you know, when it's safe to hang out with other people again). Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF​
Noctua NF-L9a-AM4​
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC​
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600​
Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini​
WD Blue 1 TB SATA SSD​
EVGA SuperNova 550 GM​
Silverstone SG13​

My only problem right now is the GPU is running hot when maxed out...in both Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur VI, it's topping out at 80° C (most other games I've got on this system are pretty light on the card). Wondering I should've gone for a larger or non-Zotac card.

For now, some pics:

IMG-20200311-202153.jpg

Test build before I put it in the case.

IMG-20200311-234332.jpg

Finished build.

IMG-20200311-235049.jpg

Running Soulcalibur VI on my 4K set.

Last edited:

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
This looks great! Sorry I didn't get the old thread's resources to you... university I work at is shutting down due to CV and I've been trying to tie up loose ends this weekend.

Lemme know if you do want anything still, but what you have looks great IMO.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
That new thread smell! Perfect timing too, as I just put together a HTPC build I could use to entertain friends (you know, when it's safe to hang out with other people again). Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF​
Noctua NF-L9a-AM4​
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC​
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600​
Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini​
WD Blue 1 TB SATA SSD​
EVGA SuperNova 550 GM​
Silverstone SG13​

My only problem right now is the GPU is running hot when maxed out...in both Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur VI, it's topping out at 80° C (most other games I've got on this system are pretty light on the card). Wondering I should've gone for a larger or non-Zotac card.

For now, some pics:

IMG-20200311-202153.jpg

Test build before I put it in the case.

IMG-20200311-234332.jpg

Finished build.

IMG-20200311-235049.jpg

Running Soulcalibur VI on my 4K set.

Good build. I wanna build a PC later this year with a RTX 2060 super with that case.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Getting restless for some Ampere news. And one day I'll upgrade my case. Air 540 still hanging in.

Gamers Nexus just did a video talking about the state of Taiwanese manufacturers, and it's a mix of everything. But the interesting part was EVGA, which has extremely restricted access and can assumed to be operating at reduced capacity. So if nothing else I expect the card manufacturers to be more limited in the models they announce. It seems like the Taiwanese raw materials manufacturers are doing mega business to keep the supply chain intact, at least.

This looks great! Sorry I didn't get the old thread's resources to you... university I work at is shutting down due to CV and I've been trying to tie up loose ends this weekend.

No worries, wasn't sure what you meant by resources, but my plan was to just refresh the visuals anyway. Had a sudden epiphany and stole the Polychrome style. 😆

Crazymoogle What about a case section in the OP? Mainly for selfish reasons, but it might be a nice addition to the info stack.

Anything in particular you want to know? My plan is to write guide posts and then link them through the main page. For example, I'll do one on RGB as soon as time permits since I just recently crawled through that mudpit.

I think the H1 is definitely a cool build. That being said, if you go 9900K/RTX2070SUPER you've unbalanced your rig against 4K gaming. Honestly, if you really want 4K you have two options: RTX2080Super (or Ti) or wait for Ampere (RTX 3000) It's just around the corner. The 9900K is a great CPU but you could easily downgrade to the 9700K and put that money towards more GPU, which in general should be the rule for building a rig.

Generally speaking right now the rule is that if you want 4k60 you should be on 2080/Ti. The sweet spot for PC rigs today is 1440p60+ because that is way more achievable with 2060 Super / 2070 Super, and because Windows itself just is a less clunky experience at 1440p than 4K. I suspect you can still do 4K on the 2070, but I'm not sure how far you have to tweak the options.

All of that being said, I think if you don't want to build your own PC, NZXT's letsbld is a totally fair choice and the H1 is about as close as you're going to get to the Xbox Series X design today.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
x299 that's something you don't see much round here.

friend of mine thought his i7-7900 went bad so he moved onto a different cpu/MB since hethought he was out of warranty. He gave me the CPU and he was in warranty. I offered it back but he said I could keep it and to get an x299 MB. Turns out this one is a dud and my entire day has been wasted. Gonna order a prime deluxe II

Heck of a way to jump in. Why the 1000w PSU though? Really unnecessary for today's single GPU rigs.

The very same friend mentioned above gave me his PSU. He goes all out all the time.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers Nexus just did a video talking about the state of Taiwanese manufacturers, and it's a mix of everything. But the interesting part was EVGA, which has extremely restricted access and can assumed to be operating at reduced capacity. So if nothing else I expect the card manufacturers to be more limited in the models they announce. It seems like the Taiwanese raw materials manufacturers are doing mega business to keep the supply chain intact, at least.

No worries, wasn't sure what you meant by resources, but my plan was to just refresh the visuals anyway. Had a sudden epiphany and stole the Polychrome style. 😆

Anything in particular you want to know? My plan is to write guide posts and then link them through the main page. For example, I'll do one on RGB as soon as time permits since I just recently crawled through that mudpit.

I think the H1 is definitely a cool build. That being said, if you go 9900K/RTX2070SUPER you've unbalanced your rig against 4K gaming. Honestly, if you really want 4K you have two options: RTX2080Super (or Ti) or wait for Ampere (RTX 3000) It's just around the corner. The 9900K is a great CPU but you could easily downgrade to the 9700K and put that money towards more GPU, which in general should be the rule for building a rig.

Generally speaking right now the rule is that if you want 4k60 you should be on 2080/Ti. The sweet spot for PC rigs today is 1440p60+ because that is way more achievable with 2060 Super / 2070 Super, and because Windows itself just is a less clunky experience at 1440p than 4K. I suspect you can still do 4K on the 2070, but I'm not sure how far you have to tweak the options.

All of that being said, I think if you don't want to build your own PC, NZXT's letsbld is a totally fair choice and the H1 is about as close as you're going to get to the Xbox Series X design today.

4K/60 is most definitely possible and at strong fps on the 2070 Super, and even 5700XT, see techspot.

Last edited:

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Want to hear something fun? I was buying pieces for my new PC back in mid-February, and I was also preparing to move some 800km away from home. I had the components shipped to a friend's house who lives in the city I'm moving to, because it was easier/safer than moving a whole pc. I was supposed to move on the 5th of March, then Covid-19 happened, everything got quarantined, and now I'm probably going to build my PC in mid-April. lol Kinda suck that I bought a 5700XT and then I won't be able to use it until nVidia's new gpus come out :\

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks. This is helpful. I wish NZXT offered the RTX 2080 as an option for their H1 build but right now it's limited to the RTX 2070. I would not be opposed to trying to build something myself but would prefer to go with a prebuilt configuration as this would be my first gaming PC. The easiest option would probably be to just pick a different/bigger case. Aside from that, however, I wonder what the thermals are like for the RTX 2070 and the RTX 2080 and how the latter would fair when coupled with the H1 case.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
4K/60 is most definitely possible and at strong fps on the 2070 Super, and even 5700XT, see techspot.

I will edit and say, you're right. The framerate is surprisingly good on those cards. I disagree that hitting 60 or below is "strong", but it does get close, so if that's all you need, alright. Maybe set it to "high" instead and try to pump it a bit further. Still, I would again prefer a 2080 or 3000 simply because with so little headroom, it seems unlikely that Cyberpunk or future games will perform to that same level. If W3 can't hit 60...

If Dick Whitman did go with this config, I must say I would probably advise an RTX 2070 Super and pairing it with a G-Sync display. If your framerate is going to rough it from 20-70fps all of the time, it would help a lot to have the refresh and framerate synced. Freesync monitors can do it too, but usually they are limited to activation around 45-48hz instead of the 30hz of G-Sync, so this is one of those times where it would help. If playing by TV, however, disregard, as that won't be possible without a TV supporting VRR (HDMI 2.1) and a card supporting HDMI 2.1. (Or you have the very rare GSync TVs with that stuff)

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I will edit and say, you're right. The framerate is surprisingly good on those cards. I disagree that hitting 60 or below is "strong", but it does get close, so if that's all you need, alright. Maybe set it to "high" instead and try to pump it a bit further. Still, I would again prefer a 2080 or 3000 simply because with so little headroom, it seems unlikely that Cyberpunk or future games will perform to that same level. If W3 can't hit 60...

If Dick Whitman did go with this config, I must say I would probably advise an RTX 2070 Super and pairing it with a G-Sync display. If your framerate is going to rough it from 20-70fps all of the time, it would help a lot to have the refresh and framerate synced. Freesync monitors can do it too, but usually they are limited to activation around 45-48hz instead of the 30hz of G-Sync, so this is one of those times where it would help. If playing by TV, however, disregard, as that won't be possible without a TV supporting VRR (HDMI 2.1) and a card supporting HDMI 2.1. (Or you have the very rare GSync TVs with that stuff)

Yes true. I'll just add that the tweaking to get 60 fps is very minor. Anyone playing 4k on PC can just vsync and play on any old 4k tv. And the cost-value bump to go from 2070S to anything higher is really...difficult to justify. Even worse coming from 5700XT.

The resolution bump alone is more than enough :)

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
A few things

my pc case has a vent for my Power supply underneath but it doesn't fit as snugly as it does with the fan facing upwards.

I bend the pins on my CPU. I can still return it and get a new one should I go ahead and do it?.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Hi everyone! Been a long time since I've built a new PC and honestly, I'm a little out of the loop. My current system (I7 4770k/GTX780) is showing its age and I'm really wanting to play Half Life - Alyx with little to no compromises (and maybe even put the max on Doom?). I also do a lot of Blender/Zbrush/Unity/Photoshop/Substance work. Could I get some comments on this parts list here if you happen to see any glaring issues or see where I could trim a little to be able to afford some decent peripherals or perhaps I'm missing something (case fans? do i need those?) The only downside is I won't have a decent monitor to really push the thing for a while :/ but such is life I guess.

System Builder

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Hi everyone! Been a long time since I've built a new PC and honestly, I'm a little out of the loop. My current system (I7 4770k/GTX780) is showing its age and I'm really wanting to play Half Life - Alyx with little to no compromises (and maybe even put the max on Doom?). I also do a lot of Blender/Zbrush/Unity/Photoshop/Substance work. Could I get some comments on this parts list here if you happen to see any glaring issues or see where I could trim a little to be able to afford some decent peripherals or perhaps I'm missing something (case fans? do i need those?) The only downside is I won't have a decent monitor to really push the thing for a while :/ but such is life I guess.

System Builder

My suggestion

System Builder

1. Changed the CPU Cooler for something that's just as effective while noticeably cheaper - source
2. Changed the Mobo for cheaper cost
3. Went with a Toshiba 2TB drive, these are rebranded HGST 3.5" drives so they're reliable without an insane cost.
4. Went with a cheaper SSD
5. Went with a cheaper, yet still great 750w Gold PSU.

As for case fans, you'll be fine

Last edited: