• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
With the new Nvidia cards coming is now the time to maybe start looking seriously at 4k monitors?

if only there was a 4K monitor worth buying if you want something that does over 60Hz.

Acer X27 and Asus equivalent are far too expensive to consider and they have issues that is unforgivable for their price tag. If you charge this much it has to be perfect. Still, they are the best you can get. Asus is updating theirs with a mini LED backlit, this is the one to get if it comes out...

Steer clear from 43" or UW 35" VA ones, those are way overpriced for what they are and they are not even good. Just get the above monitors or a OLED TV.

most people should just get a OLED TV at this point for 4K gaming and use a 1440p 144Hz screen for PC/desktop.

I have a 4K60 LG 27UL650 monitor and I really like it for work and coding, games looks great on it too and it is cheap. That works too if you dont care about HDR and get a separate high refresh screen for everything else. There is Acer XB271HK too which is like the X27 sans the FALD so it is a lot cheaper.
At 4K144 you can play overwatch or csgo and similar esport games or ps360 era games and that probably wont change any time soon.

Last edited:

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Could be a couple years before 4K 144hz monitors are actually worth buying (and somewhat affordable). 1440/144 is still the best option IMO.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
looking at getting a 2080 ti today. Is this one the best? I'm not water cooling or over clocking the GPU

ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080TI Overclocked 11G GDDR6 HDMI DP 1.4 USB Type-C Gaming Graphics Card (ROG-STRIX-RTX-2080TI-O11G) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HY6QWXN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BT2AEb7DHKC0S
Yeah that's pretty much the one, there's others that are good for specific things like the kingpin which comes OCd etc. but if you aren't into that then yeah the strix is the one

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished my build recently, only two questions.

I had a problem installing Windows. After creating the partition as soon as the install started, I got the following error code:
Windows Cannot Install Required Files 0x8007025D

I've recreated the USB Stick, but got the same error again rebooted a few times and disabled XMP.
I think I got the error again, but when I just retried it it suddenly worked.

Can this have to do with XMP? Or should I check my nvme?
I'm currently running memtest, not sure if thats already overkill.
Is there a way to check my nvme drive?

What's the best way to use the D and E drives of my old PC in my new one?
Can I just remove them and put them into the new one or will there be permission issues?
I think I had something like this a long time ago, I don't know if that's still a problem.
On these drives are my SteamApps and some Video and Screenshots.
I also need to transfer the contents of my user directory.
I let Memtest86 run through the night, I didn't find any errors.
So my memory seems to be fine.
I hope that the nvme is also fine. Is there any way to check this?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I let Memtest86 run through the night, I didn't find any errors.
So my memory seems to be fine.
I hope that the nvme is also fine. Is there any way to check this?

Have you tried using (a) a different USB stick and (b) a different USB port? Some casual google suggests this problem is usually when a file sector can't be read, and that implies something on the stick itself is bad, not the NVMe or RAM?

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried using (a) a different USB stick and (b) a different USB port? Some casual google suggests this problem is usually when a file sector can't be read, and that implies something on the stick itself is bad, not the NVMe or RAM?
In the end it did work. I didn't do anything different, after recreating the stick I just retried it a few times.
In fact it could be the stick, it's already a bit old.

Oct 31, 2017
Which is the best 5600 XT out of these:
  • Gigabyte Gaming OC @ $336
  • Gigabyte Windforce OC @ $311
  • MSI Gaming X @ $353
  • MSI Mech OC @ $325
Prices are converted from my currency to USD. These are the only available 5600 XTs :<

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Is there a way to pick which monitor a game launches on? I'm running into more annoyances than I initially thought there would be having 2 monitors and a 3rd monitor being my 4k tv for couch gameplay only. Even with programs, for some reason occasionally Discord will open on my 4k tv which is turned off when not couch gaming, so I have to turn it on, and drag Discord to monitor #2, monitor #1 being my primary screen.

I tried launching Gears 5 from the Xbox app and it was a mess getting it to display correctly onto the 4k tv (monitor #3). It would open on monitor #1 (1080p), so I tried moving the game window to the tv, then adjusting resolution but it kept having issues with that, not displaying correctly. Essentially I have to go into nvidia control panel, make the tv the primary display, then launch the game. So it's doable, but more steps to take than I prefer. With Steam I setup Steam picture mode to launch onto the 4k tv, so at least that's a pretty smooth operation.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Is there a way to pick which monitor a game launches on? I'm running into more annoyances than I initially thought there would be having 2 monitors and a 3rd monitor being my 4k tv for couch gameplay only. Even with programs, for some reason occasionally Discord will open on my 4k tv which is turned off when not couch gaming, so I have to turn it on, and drag Discord to monitor #2, monitor #1 being my primary screen.

I tried launching Gears 5 from the Xbox app and it was a mess getting it to display correctly onto the 4k tv (monitor #3). It would open on monitor #1 (1080p), so I tried moving the game window to the tv, then adjusting resolution but it kept having issues with that, not displaying correctly. Essentially I have to go into nvidia control panel, make the tv the primary display, then launch the game. So it's doable, but more steps to take than I prefer. With Steam I setup Steam picture mode to launch onto the 4k tv, so at least that's a pretty smooth operation.

If you're trying to wrangle more than 2 monitors, it's just best to get separate software like Displayfusion for it. It'll allow you to either set triggers for programs to move to specific window when launched, or easily jump through different display setups with custom commands. It takes a bit to set up and explore all the functions, but having used it for years for display and window management, it can be made to do almost anything. It also seems to keep updates ahead of Windows so that it always just works. There's a free version with some config limitations and the lifetime Pro version often goes on sale at Steam for half price at 15€/$. Definately worth it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
  • MSI Gaming X @ $353
  • MSI Mech OC @ $325
Prices are converted from my currency to USD. These are the only available 5600 XTs :<

Look for an actual round-up review from a tech site with some 5600XTs and see if any of those are on it. Nobody here is going to have experience with all four cards and generally cards perform about the same anyway. They can have their own little quirks though that make them more/less appealing than another.

Hebo

Mar 15, 2019
  • I have this motherboard. The PSU warning is simply that you won't have the extra 4pin for LN2 overclocking. Pretty sure you are not making a Liquid Nitrogen build nor are you overloading the power requirements with components, so you're fine. (I also don't use the extra 4pin)
  • I use the Dark Rock Slim with the 3600, I think you could easily get away with the Dark Rock 4 instead of the Pro, but nothing wrong with extra cooling. In general I think you are better off with a DR than the Ryzen Wraith cooler, I mean in my experience the DR Slim is dead silent thanks to the BQ Silent Wings fans. The Wraith is smaller but will inevitably run a bit hotter and potentially noisier.
  • The only thing I'm not 100% on is if the RAM will fit, but worst case you have to mount the fan a bit higher up on the heatsink. Since you've only got two sticks at least you get slightly more clearance from the heatsink (generally with AMD you populate the 2-4 slots away from the cooler, not 1-3)
  • I think the 660p is kind of a joke, would much rather have ADATA SX8200 Pro or even addlink S70. Maybe the 660p is fine these days but I remember it getting roasted on release.
  • Just a quick piece of advice: if you're not going to use a 3.5" drive I would strongly consider removing the drivecage from inside the Meshify C (you'll see how to do this in the manual) and mounting the 2.5" drive to the back of the motherboard tray instead. It will clear a ton of room for your PSU cable management. The drive sleds are nice but yeah...not small.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Pulling the trigger today!

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
  • MSI Gaming X @ $353
  • MSI Mech OC @ $325

Hardware Unboxed have done a whole bunch of reviews on the 5600/5700 XTs, so check out those guys.

From what I recall, the 5600XT AIBs use the same heatsink/fan units as the 5700XT and from those 4 the MSI Gaming X was regarded as the best. The Gigabyte Gaming OC gets mentioned, as it has great cooling for the price.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
Need to get a second monitor soon. Looking for 1440P 144hz. Anyone have a recommendation? I'd like the best colors and display on this one. I assumed an IPS would be best for this?

Also, my desk situation isn't currently the best and it's slightly smaller than id like. Any tips on how to better fit two monitors on the desk?

Last edited:

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Okay, so I'm dumb, but can i build an equivalent of this

www.microcenter.com

PowerSpec G706 Gaming PC; AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz Processor; NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM; 1TB SSD; - Micro Center

Get it now! The PowerSpec G706 desktop computer is a powerful gaming machine featuring the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X unlocked processor, an ASRock X570 Pro 4 system board powered by a 750W PSU, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a RTX 2070 Super 8GB discrete video card to provide an incredible...

For the same price?

Additionally my current pc is dead, the only reason I'm getting one now, will I be able to slowly upgrade this with better parts through out the year?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well for shits and giggles I loaded up my OC profile and changed the Ram to 3600mz and wow it really was just the Ram that was giving me all this trouble and the CPU wasn't a total dud.

I'm feeling a lot happier about this build now.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Need to get a second monitor soon. Looking for 1440P 144hz. Anyone have a recommendation? I'd like the best colors and display on this one. I assumed an IPS would be best for this?

Also, my desk situation isn't currently the best and it's slightly smaller than id like. Any tips on how to better fit two monitors on the desk?

IPS for color, yeah. I use a Dell 1440p but it's a TN screen so you may not be interested in it. Personally I think it's fine especially if you have a secondary screen like a 4K TV that you can otherwise play on. TN response time is amazing.

As for desk space, if you're near a wall you can use a VESA mount, they have ones on Amazon that are probably around $20, and you only need one wall stud.

They have desk mounted VESA mounts as well, but it sounds like you may need a new desk in any case, in which case you can get a pretty nice computer desk for around $100 again on Amazon.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017

the LG 27GL850-B (for dci-p3 color and srgb emulation) or 27GL83-a (srgb only) are solid though they have very weak contrast and they seem to sell out quite often. For reference, I have the 27GL850 and it's great BUT I use it exclusively in srgb mode as (99% of all) content is in srgb (games, videos, movies, etc) which means the 27GL83-a (which is quite a ways cheaper) would be the way to go if you need it purely for content consumption though, iirc, the 83-a is an amazon exclusive and currently sold out (in the US at least).

There is also the Asus vg27aq which is supposed to be great, though similarly has weak contrast iirc.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I'm dumb, but can i build an equivalent of this

www.microcenter.com

PowerSpec G706 Gaming PC; AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz Processor; NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM; 1TB SSD; - Micro Center

Get it now! The PowerSpec G706 desktop computer is a powerful gaming machine featuring the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X unlocked processor, an ASRock X570 Pro 4 system board powered by a 750W PSU, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a RTX 2070 Super 8GB discrete video card to provide an incredible...

For the same price?
i think i got pretty close. $1367.38.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the finished build:
20200313-210559.jpg

20200313-210752.jpg

NZXT H510 Elite Case
ASUS TUF X570 Wifi Plus
AMD 3700x
NZXT Kraken X62 Cooler
2080 Super
32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 DDR4
250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
2TB WD Blue
1TB WD Black (from my prior build)
650W EVGA SuperNova NEX

Jun 2, 2019
I have some questions to ask over here, so I wonder if you guys can help me

First, I'm slowly aiming for a silent build, since summer here is so aggressive I'm looking for something that can keep my cpu cooled while not making my pc feel like a jet engine. I have a Ryzen r5 3600.

The wraith cooler is good enough for now, but I know it won't be when my room temps reach 40 °C or so in about three months. I've been researching both air and water cooling but reports and opinions are conflicting.

What should I aim for?
What is the most thermal efficient solution? Water or air?
What is the most silent solution? Water or air? (I hear the pumps can be quite noisy)
Can I keep the price on/under 50 €?

Spain. I'm using PC Componentes and Amazon.

EDIT : About the current state of my rig, I'm using a nox hummer zs case with one intake cooler in the front (the default one) and two exhaust fans in the back and upper face (2xBe Quiet purewings 2 pwm) with a wraith stealth cooler for the cpu.

Last edited:

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017

First, I'm slowly aiming for a silent build, since summer here is so aggressive I'm looking for something that can keep my cpu cooled while not making my pc feel like a jet engine. I have a Ryzen r5 3600.

The wraith cooler is good enough for now, but I know it won't be when my room temps reach 40 °C or so in about three months. I've been researching both air and water cooling but reports and opinions are conflicting.

What should I aim for?
What is the most silent solution? Water or air? (I hear the pumps can be quite noisy)

EDIT : About the current state of my rig, I'm using a nox hummer zs case with one intake cooler in the front (the default one) and two exhaust fans in the back and upper face (2xBe Quiet purewings 2 pwm) with a wraith stealth cooler for the cpu.
Air cooling still wins price/performance-wise, but their size can be a downside. Water only starts making sense once you go above a certain price point.

I did a quick check, and I think a Mugen 5 is probably your best bet. It's also one of the better ones at that price in general.

Oct 29, 2017

What should I aim for?

The r5 3600 is not very demanding an ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO should be more than enough, or even a cooler master hyper 212 black

But if you want something quieter, that fits that case (161mm) and for around €50, Scythe coolers are what you are looking for.

My suggestions are Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B and Scythe Fuma 2. Also the Thermalright Macho Rev.C, but this may not be available or priced too differently.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I have an ancient Gtx 760 2gb paired with an OC i7 4770k

I have 180$ absolute max.

Gtx1650 Super 4gb
Rx580 8gb

looking to play through backlog and at nost

Doom Eternal andRE 3 Remake

1080p 60fps is goal med to high settings is the goal.

Please guide me!

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have an ancient Gtx 760 2gb paired with an OC i7 4770k

I have 180$ absolute max.

Gtx1650 Super 4gb
Rx580 8gb

looking to play through backlog and at nost

Doom Eternal andRE 3 Remake

1080p 60fps is goal med to high settings is the goal.

Please guide me!

1650 Super is probably the best bang for buck for you. Some 5500 XTs are right at the $180 line, too. But 1650 Super beats it on average (though certain games favor the 5500 XT a bit) and will be slightly cheaper.

Last edited:

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Alright, with the possibility of being cooped up I should really upgrade my aging rig. Also I am lazy and don't feel like building from scratch. Can anyone point me to some good pre-builts that should perform at or above the rumored PS5/Xbox Series X specs?

Much obliged.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Would love to get some eyes on this build; as I haven't built a PC in 8+ years and know nothing about the state of hardware these days. This PC is only going to be used for gaming at 1920x1200. I'm still an old fart with a 60hz monitor, but I might upgrade in the near future if my video card can handle it. Some questions I have:

1. If I'm not overclocking, do I need any extra fans? Is there a downside to using the stock CPU cooler over the one I've chosen?
  2. PCPartPicker gives me a warning: "The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not." Does this matter?
Please help me not waste all my money!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($86.46 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($122.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.33 @ Amazon)
Total: $1322.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 00:05 EDT-0400

Your Ram and the Dark Rock 4 Pro arent compatible....unless you completely remove the front fan....at which point you might as well have gotten a Dark Rock 4 non Pro.

For a 3700X you could get a Dark Rock 4 or Shadow Rock 3 and have an extra few dollars to throw in another direction.

_463_be-quiet-Shadow-Rock-3-review-This-compact-CPU-cooler-is-mighty-impressive.jpg

Also the Intel 660p is really overpriced you Sabreant or Adata would be a better buy.
Alright, with the possibility of being cooped up I should really upgrade my aging rig. Also I am lazy and don't feel like building from scratch. Can anyone point me to some good pre-builts that should perform at or above the rumored PS5/Xbox Series X specs?

Much obliged.

Look for any prebuilt PC that comes with a 2080 Super or above.
Anything at or about 3700X performance should match or beat whatever is in the next gen consoles.

This PC pretty much meets all your expectations
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9C2NBZ/?tag=thowisguy-20

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Dear gpu providers. Please start putting power connectors on the side. When you make the cards so tall now, it starts to not fit in my preferred case.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I have a question for those who have experienced GPU coil whine. Any time I start a game I will get a pretty nasty amount of GPU whine, and I'm wondering if getting a DAC will help solve this issue. My headphones are the AT M50s so I know getting a DAC/AMP combo isn't going to give me a huge boost in audio quality but I was looking at the Schiit Fulla 2 and FIIO e10K, are these good options for an entry solution ~$100? Should I be looking for a cheaper option?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Much obliged.

I may get criticized for this, but we really don't know the power aside from vague tflop numbers and the platform (AMD). Apparently we're getting a $1700 PC for $500 :-)

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Much obliged.
Look into NZXT. I bought a build from them and they are fantastic and you get fair price for what you get. Get something that's 2080 super or above or 3700x or above for something that will match the next gen consoles or better.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I don't have an issue when I run my headphones through a monitor, perhaps is a problem with my mother board then? I'm super confused about what to do here.

Oh, are you saying the sound is coming through your headphones then? That wouldn't be coil whine if that's the case. Coil whine is electrical noise made by the graphic card itself, typically under heavy load. If you're using on-board sound then it could be motherboard-related and using an external DAC would probably solve the issue.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't have an issue when I run my headphones through a monitor, perhaps is a problem with my mother board then? I'm super confused about what to do here.
Coil whine comes from the graphic card itself and not the headphones. There's not much you can do with coil whine other than RMA it if it bothers you enough, but nowoaays they will only do it if it's really bad.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Oh, are you saying the sound is coming through your headphones then? That wouldn't be coil whine if that's the case. Coil whine is electrical noise made by the graphic card itself, typically under heavy load. If you're using on-board sound then it could be motherboard-related and using an external DAC would probably solve the issue.

That's exactly it. I'll have to see if there's anyone I know who has a DAC and see if it solves the issue.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Would love to get some eyes on this build; as I haven't built a PC in 8+ years and know nothing about the state of hardware these days. This PC is only going to be used for gaming at 1920x1200. I'm still an old fart with a 60hz monitor, but I might upgrade in the near future if my video card can handle it. Some questions I have:
This is what I recommmend - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gydgCL

1. No need for an expensive MoBo, the Tomahawk MAX is good for a budget board and comes with Ryzen 3000 compatibility preloaded
2. No need for an expensive cooler, the scythe mugen 5 is just as good as a DH-15 and a Dark Rock Pro 4 at a lower price
3. Swapped the SSDs for something faster
4. Swapped the PSU as I feel more comfortable recommeonding the unit.
5. added a wireless adapter with Bluetooth compatibility

$90 in savings for things that don't affect performance.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm hungry for a whole new build lately but from what I read we're finally on the cusp of new DDR5 ram (and socket AM5).
Sockets come and go but the ram thing seems a little more notable of a status quo change that will last a good chunk of years, and the shift is just about to happen.

It's expected to hit the market late 2020 right? Mid 2021 might be the best time for me personally to pull the trigger. Guess I should be patient.
I tend to stick with a build for 7-8 years (graphics card swapped halfway through) so if I do it now, I won't be getting DDR5 compatible until 2028. Might as well do one more year, why not.

I know that people always waiting for the next big thing will wait forever, but I think in this case it's not so bad to wait one year for a particular component that updates on a bit of a slower schedule.
Especially when I'm not hurting for computing now. My PC is getting older but it still runs software very well.

I imagine next-gen consoles (and the related spec bump the pc ports will be requiring) are about to take a bite out of my pc, though. Which also release later this year or early next, right? So another big transition milestone that's about to hit at the end of this year.

2021 it is. Setting a reminder in my calendar. Just venting my tech hunger and living vicariously through your posts. Beautiful stuff.

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
It's expected to hit the market late 2020 right? Mid 2021 might be the best time for me personally to pull the trigger. Guess I should be patient.

I don't think DDR5 will be on the desktop this year. AMDs upcoming arch is DDR4 (even on servers, where we expect to see DDR5 first), so mid 2021 would be the absolute earliest for desktops I'd say, and then you're likely paying a nice premium for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think DDR5 will be on the desktop this year. AMDs upcoming arch is DDR4 (even on servers, where we expect to see DDR5 first), so mid 2021 would be the absolute earliest for desktops I'd say, and then you're likely paying a nice premium for it.
Edit: Eddy pointed out crossover boards kinda suck, I thought they were more common. My mistake!

Last edited:

maped

Mar 7, 2018
I don't think there is going to be any DDR4/5 -compatible hardware, at least in the past it's always been all new CPUs and motherboards when the change comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.