• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Encountering an issue with my louqe ghost s1 build.

Have an aorus x570 mini itx board with a ryzen, looking to use the noctua L12s cooler. I affixed this boy to the board only to learn that it's a few mm too tall for me to slide on the case side plate without significant force. a googling has led me to a number of reddit threads about bending (!) the cooler or using a beltsander (!!!) to shave down the fins on the cooler to get it to fit. I don't have access to a fucking metalworking shop so the beltsander option is not on the table for me. any of yall have experience with this particular setup and have advice?

The dude in this video looks like he just bends it by hand.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
oeatmHZ.jpg

Anybody know what's happening here? It only ever seems to do this when I'm playing Modern Warfare.

RTX 2070 Super
i9 9900k
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM

That can be caused by things like driver issues or unstable overclocks.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but I have a few questions if anyone can help. I'm looking at buying a whole new build so my wife can have my old one for Planet Coaster.

But I hate building PC's or even trying to mess with them so my first question is does anyone know of a good place to buy pre built in the UK?

Second is can anyone explain the difference between the standard and Super 20xx model gpu? I'm noticing a lot of prebuilts with i9-9900k and 2080 supers or Ti are using water cooling which I've always been told to steer clear of. What's going on with that? They run ultra hot maybe?

Lastly, is it still looking likely that the 30xx cards will be out this year and maybe I should wait or am I more likely to see a massive spike in costs in general soon due to China's reduced manufacturing?

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's alive !

EnT4CHD.jpg

f2Bqq9l.jpg

I was a little worried because my temps in Bios are a little on the high side (around 45) but I was reading that it's common to see high temps when sitting in bios because of the way it's pushing your CPU.

Now to figure out the Bios and installation process.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Crossposting from the OT for The Division 2, since an old problem reared its ugly head.
After today's hotfix, I'm getting black screens and my PC's fans hitting 100%. This wasn't happening last week, and it keeps happening after a clean driver update.

First there's no issues, then bam, black screen, PC fans screaming, and I need to hit the restart button on my rig.
I'm running a GTX 1080 Ti (slightly overclocked) on the 440.50 drivers with a Ryzen 3700X (stock) and 16GB of DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz. Prior to today's patch, I had no issues playing for hours. Now? I can't go for fifteen minutes without a crash. I was able to comfortably play Apex Legends and Modern Warfare without issue, but The Division 2 runs fine for about 15 minutes until I get a black screen and the fans whirr up to max speed. Sound continues to be played through the system, but I need to hard reset in order to regain functionality of my machine.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
yeah I ended up getting a 64GB 3600 CL18 kit for my 3950X build because at the time, the 64GB CL16 kits were completely sold out. Is there much of a difference between the two if I'm running the CL18 kit with XMP?

64GB? wow. Well no, I mean generally you see the memory performance differences in benchmarks only when system is CPU constrained. That's why usually the tests are done at 720p. Since your Infinity Fabric will already be at 1800 (half the DDR rate) that's pretty much all you need. If you are obsessed with more perf you can use DRAM Calculator and figure out better timings, but honestly? You already have a 3950X. I would just try for XMP and call it a day unless you are also planning for some kind of overall OC build.

Can you elaborate on the flash BIOS? This is something I'm totally unfamiliar with. I just assumed that this was just the mobo that went out.

Some motherboards, particularly gamer-focused ones, have the ability to reflash your BIOS from a USB stick if you place it in the right USB slot. This works even if the CPU or GPU is not recognized. Valuable, because it means you don't need backup CPU/GPU nor do you have to pull out the battery (which resets settings but can't overwrite the BIOS). The exact name of the feature is brand dependent, but (usually) if you look at the IO plate on your motherboard one of the USB should have a "flashback" or "BIOS" label somewhere.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Second is can anyone explain the difference between the standard and Super 20xx model gpu? I'm noticing a lot of prebuilts with i9-9900k and 2080 supers or Ti are using water cooling which I've always been told to steer clear of. What's going on with that? They run ultra hot maybe?

Lastly, is it still looking likely that the 30xx cards will be out this year and maybe I should wait or am I more likely to see a massive spike in costs in general soon due to China's reduced manufacturing?

The SUPER is the "year after" model, nvidia basically relaunched their lineup with better yield processors, so it's faster but not an architectural change or anything. Water Cooling Hybrid models (where it comes with the liquid and radiator already) are totally fine; they are usually a bit cooler but a bit more awkward to install since the radiator has to go somewhere. As long as the radiator fan has an effective way to push air it should be fine. If you're playing Planet Coaster there is absolutely no reason to need a 2080ti though? At best I would get a 2070S.

RTX 3000 is on the way. Prices won't spike because of China, they will spike initially because launch stock is always limited. Production lines all over the place are moving to Taiwan (and elsewhere) but launch demand always exceeds supply. Still, with the worldwide situation demand will also be down, so I don't think it's going to be impossible to find, say, an RTX 3070 for MSRP this year.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah I realize it's an awkward time to build so I guess the TI would hopefully buy me some time before having to upgrade the GPU, and I'd also hope it would have some re-sell value.

Can you elaborate on the flash BIOS? This is something I'm totally unfamiliar with. I just assumed that this was just the mobo that went out.

Which motherboard do you have?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The SUPER is the "year after" model, nvidia basically relaunched their lineup with better yield processors, so it's faster but not an architectural change or anything. Water Cooling Hybrid models (where it comes with the liquid and radiator already) are totally fine; they are usually a bit cooler but a bit more awkward to install since the radiator has to go somewhere. As long as the radiator fan has an effective way to push air it should be fine. If you're playing Planet Coaster there is absolutely no reason to need a 2080ti though? At best I would get a 2070S.

RTX 3000 is on the way. Prices won't spike because of China, they will spike initially because launch stock is always limited. Production lines all over the place are moving to Taiwan (and elsewhere) but launch demand always exceeds supply. Still, with the worldwide situation demand will also be down, so I don't think it's going to be impossible to find, say, an RTX 3070 for MSRP this year.

Ah thanks for the advice! To be honest I probably worded it wrong. The old build is for my wife to use for Planet Coaster with a 4790k/970 setup and the main reason I'm starting from scratch, I'll be riding the next gen out on the new build hopefully so want to go big. Plus I've been dipping into the Star Citizen alpha for years now and that eats pretty much whatever you can throw at it.

I'll probably hold out until the new hardware lands then and see if I can get a 3080 build since iirc the ti takes a bit longer to launch.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'll probably hold out until the new hardware lands then and see if I can get a 3080 build since iirc the ti takes a bit longer to launch.

Star Citizen? 😆 Well that's another matter entirely! But absolutely would wait on RTX 3000 then, a 2080ti is already so expensive and SC is the king of being on the edge of graphics (and thus being the modern Crysis of using hardware).

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Sure, the 2080 Ti will retain some value. Every high-end card does. But it's going to be a historical amount of value depreciation on a consumer card as soon as the 3000 series comes out.
At minimum, the RTX 3080 will outperform it at $699 (or $800+ with aftermarket cooler brands). But the gains are reportedly going to be much greater. I have no doubt that they will be substantial, considering that the $500 consoles will be launching around the same time. Nvidia has to set the bar for a new value proposition in order for PC gamers to pay that kind of exorbitant pricing. This ain't no mid-cycle refresh. They are competing with new consoles.

Used 2080 Ti's could likely command well below $699 six months from now if the new cards are readily available. Probably in the $500-600 range if we're being honest. Chances are, it won't happen quite that fast though bc Nvidia will artificially constrain the supply of the 3000 series.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
The build I asked for advice about almost a month ago went well enough, despite my apprehension about installing my big honking Dark Rock Pro 4 PC cooler. Everything works. Major performance improvements seem like they'll have to wait for the new graphics card, but everything is a lot zippier.

I have a post-build question, though. One thing I always struggle with when making the switch to a new PC is what to do with the data on the old one. What often happens is that anything not in some cloud winds up getting left behind. How do you all handle that switch? Is there software I should invest in? Do I just install the old drives (temporarily?) in the new PC? Get some enclosures or something?

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Sure, the 2080 Ti will retain some value. Every high-end card does. But it's going to be a historical amount of value depreciation on a consumer card as soon as the 3000 series comes out.
At minimum, the RTX 3080 will outperform it at $699 (or $800+ with aftermarket cooler brands). But the gains are reportedly going to be much greater. I have no doubt that they will be substantial, considering that the $500 consoles will be launching around the same time. Nvidia has to set the bar for a new value proposition in order for PC gamers to pay that kind of exorbitant pricing. This ain't no mid-cycle refresh. They are competing with new consoles.

Used 2080 Ti's could likely command well below $699 six months from now if the new cards are readily available. Probably in the $500-600 range if we're being honest. Chances are, it won't happen quite that fast though bc Nvidia will artificially constrain the supply of the 3000 series.

When does the 3000 series come out? I saw the Doom Eternal specs and my 1070 no longer exceeds recommended.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Considering there will obviously be a shortage of cards at launch (that's just how these assholes operate, in order to drive demand and higher pricing), not to mention COVID-19 might slow down production a bit, there will very likely be a solid month where people can sell their used 2080 Ti's for a good price after securing a pre-order. But used prices are def going to crash hard.

When does the 3000 series come out? I saw the Doom Eternal specs and my 1070 no longer exceeds recommended.
There is no date. But very likely around 'back-to-school' to September.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I remember when B&H Photo had open pre-orders for the RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra available for $499 in the weeks leading up to the launch of that lineup. Then things became much more expensive and those same cards were consistently selling for $550-600 pretty much ever since then.

I'm definitely going to be looking for a deal like that this time around.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The build I asked for advice about almost a month ago went well enough, despite my apprehension about installing my big honking Dark Rock Pro 4 PC cooler. Everything works. Major performance improvements seem like they'll have to wait for the new graphics card, but everything is a lot zippier.

I have a post-build question, though. One thing I always struggle with when making the switch to a new PC is what to do with the data on the old one. What often happens is that anything not in some cloud winds up getting left behind. How do you all handle that switch? Is there software I should invest in? Do I just install the old drives (temporarily?) in the new PC? Get some enclosures or something?

An enclosure will do fine. They are super cheap on Amazon and local computer shop. Been doing that for the last decade. Just back your stuff up the now-external drive and move it to your new system.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Probably an obvious question but how to I install driver updates for my motherboard, I tried to go to Asus website and found the drivers for my Mobo but when I download them there doesnt seem to be any way to actually install them? Unless I have to copy and paste files.

At this point the only issue I have left with my build, at least so far is that I can't get any audio either through HDMI or through the headphone jack on my case.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Hey PC people, i got a question for you and this seemed like a good place for it. When doing speedtests, our internet usually comes in somewhere between 900 and 945 Mbps on a gig connection, that works for me. However in actual use, we never seem to get above 25-28 MBps when downloading whether it's from Steam, Battle.net, Origin, or wherever. If two of us try to download something it will then split up that 25-28 between the two of us. We got Cat 6 running to both computers, so I don't know what could be the throttle here.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Probably an obvious question but how to I install driver updates for my motherboard, I tried to go to Asus website and found the drivers for my Mobo but when I download them there doesnt seem to be any way to actually install them? Unless I have to copy and paste files.

At this point the only issue I have left with my build, at least so far is that I can't get any audio either through HDMI or through the headphone jack on my case.
if you click the ^ thing bottom right. right click it , click the speaker thing.... select your audio device.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Hey PC people, i got a question for you and this seemed like a good place for it. When doing speedtests, our internet usually comes in somewhere between 900 and 945 Mbps on a gig connection, that works for me. However in actual use, we never seem to get above 25-28 MBps when downloading whether it's from Steam, Battle.net, Origin, or wherever. If two of us try to download something it will then split up that 25-28 between the two of us. We got Cat 6 running to both computers, so I don't know what could be the throttle here.

What router are you using? Could be QoS settings with prioritization for VOIP or something else. How are your pings when online gaming?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone find themselves using just 1 monitor? my old setup used a single display and I always used my phone for any reference stuff and discord, now I have 2 great monitors and am struggling with desk space getting the main monitor to fit the position it used to be in (L shape desk) which caused me to change my setup.

Not sure I like it, I think I almost prefer having my primary monitor being in exactly the spot i'm used to having it in and the other monitor just either not existing and using my phone or maybe getting a table for my build and creating the extra space so the second display has more room so as to no impede.
Thought 2 monitors would be a necessity for me but I barely use the thing right now.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
So I usually game on laptops (currently an Alienware m15 with gtx 2060) because I move around alot. It's the drawbacks have been fine with me because gaming laptops are still waaaaaay more powerful than the consoles and more portable.

But I think I should build a portable pc since the next gen consoles will probably have decent CPUs. Does anyone have any advice or anything for smaller PC builds?

This kinda thing is really interesting to me. But that Sentry 2.0 case isn't for sale anymore. Does anyone have an idea about an alternative build?

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Got a question for y'all, I am in need of a wireless adapter for my PC. Any good recommendations for an adapter that can receive 1TB Mbps? Or should I look into a WiFi extender instead?

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
Got a question for y'all, I am in need of a wireless adapter for my PC. Any good recommendations for an adapter that can receive 1TB Mbps? Or should I look into a WiFi extender instead?

Do you mean gigabit? Because terrabit speeds aren't even possible with cables.

If you do mean gigabit then you MIGHT be able to hit it with 802.11ax/WiFi 6 equipment (both router and adapter) in absolute perfect conditions, but I'd still consider it unlikely.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Can someone recommend a power supply ac cable replacement off Amazon for the following:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=123-GM-0650-RX (evga 650 gm 80+g fm sfx psu)

I am going to be moving my SFF around my house from one tv/spot to another and the less I gotta lug the better. I dont know much about voltage, gauge, etc so looking for the closet thing to the original.

Thanks!

re-bumping my post from a few pages ago. Could anyone help suggest anything? I don't see actual replacement parts from EVGA, so amazon will have to do I just don't know exactly what is acceptable or not.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Well, back after my 30 day ban. Just wanna check again, anyone wanna take over this thread/a new version? I'm mainly abandoning it due to IRL responsibilities, but feel guilty letting it fall aside without updates.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Do you mean gigabit? Because terrabit speeds aren't even possible with cables.

If you do mean gigabit then you MIGHT be able to hit it with 802.11ax/WiFi 6 equipment (both router and adapter) in absolute perfect conditions, but I'd still consider it unlikely.

lol yea I messed that up. I meant gigabit. Just woke up and all haha. I believe the frontier router we got is WiFi6. I'll have to double check. I'll look up some adapters that are802.11ax/WiFi 6 and see what I find.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Well, back after my 30 day ban. Just wanna check again, anyone wanna take over this thread/a new version? I'm mainly abandoning it due to IRL responsibilities, but feel guilty letting it fall aside without updates.

I'll PM you.

Anyone find themselves using just 1 monitor? my old setup used a single display and I always used my phone for any reference stuff and discord, now I have 2 great monitors and am struggling with desk space getting the main monitor to fit the position it used to be in (L shape desk) which caused me to change my setup.

Not sure I like it, I think I almost prefer having my primary monitor being in exactly the spot i'm used to having it in and the other monitor just either not existing and using my phone or maybe getting a table for my build and creating the extra space so the second display has more room so as to no impede.
Thought 2 monitors would be a necessity for me but I barely use the thing right now.

I typically only use one monitor at home. 27" 1440p is ideal and I rarely feel the need for another monitor at all. At work, one 27", one 24", but I have game consoles and other things to run - for example, PS4 looks a bit better at 1080p if that's the native resolution. If you're not constantly multitasking, the extra space on the desk is really nice.

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to PC building but I'm looking to upgrade the CPU on my budget build from about 4 years ago. I like staying in the low end PC side because I don't play often enough so I don't plan to do an entire rebuild.

The CPU is a G3258 which I've overclocked to 4.0, it was great for quite a while but being single threaded more modern games won't even load (which I was expecting). I also have a H81M-P33 motherboard. I'm just confused on compatibility and what my upgrade path is while keeping the motherboard and GPU (GTX 950) for now.

I'm happy with 1080p and sometimes 60fps, so I'm not too worried about a huge upgrade. I've read that an i5-4670k might be good but just want to get some opinions. And buying used isn't an issue either.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I also have a H81M-P33 motherboard. I'm just confused on compatibility and what my upgrade path is while keeping the motherboard and GPU (GTX 950) for now.

MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

As a world leading gaming brand, MSI is the most trusted name in gaming and eSports. We stand by our principles of breakthroughs in design, and roll out the amazing gaming gear like motherboards, graphics cards, laptops and desktops.

The i5-4670k should work, and you're maxed out at a i7-4790K. Definitely do not pay 'retail' for these. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS before swapping.

The G3258 is a 53W TDP part, so consider that you may have to change cooler also.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
re-bumping my post from a few pages ago. Could anyone help suggest anything? I don't see actual replacement parts from EVGA, so amazon will have to do I just don't know exactly what is acceptable or not.
You just need the black electrical cord that plugs into it from wall outlet? I'm sure most generic ones are fine, just as you said get one with a similar gauge and voltage. Also it's nice to get a left/right angle one so less stress on it if it needs to curve.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
You just need the black electrical cord that plugs into it from wall outlet? I'm sure most generic ones are fine, just as you said get one with a similar gauge and voltage. Also it's nice to get a left/right angle one so less stress on it if it needs to curve.

yes, just the black cord that goes from wall outlet to back of the pc. I didn't know if generic was fine or how to tell which one to get? I looked at my current one and it says " 60 degrees 300V 3x18AWG" and a bunch other random shit lol.

so I assume I need something that's 18 gauge 300 volts? I don't know much about electrical cords and components

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
yes, just the black cord that goes from wall outlet to back of the pc. I didn't know if generic was fine or how to tell which one to get? I looked at my current one and it says " 60 degrees 300V 3x18AWG" and a bunch other random shit lol.

so I assume I need something that's 18 gauge 300 volts? I don't know much about electrical cords and components
These are totally generic, the official name for the power supply end is "IEC C13 connector" (here in the UK we call them a "kettle lead" since they commonly power the kettles boiling water to make our tea). Pretty much anything you find will be fine.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's looking like nvidia is going to announce ampere on the 19th, most likely means the cards still won't drop for months though right? Especially now?

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
So I usually game on laptops (currently an Alienware m15 with gtx 2060) because I move around alot. It's the drawbacks have been fine with me because gaming laptops are still waaaaaay more powerful than the consoles and more portable.

But I think I should build a portable pc since the next gen consoles will probably have decent CPUs. Does anyone have any advice or anything for smaller PC builds?

This kinda thing is really interesting to me. But that Sentry 2.0 case isn't for sale anymore. Does anyone have an idea about an alternative build?

Optimum Tech is a good channel that specializes in compact gaming rigs.

The fractal node 202 looks very similar to that case.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, any plans to route the Motherboard power cable on the right side through the back (like this one)?
It bothers me, that it's dangling around from the bottom :p
I'm going to keep working on the cable management now that I've completed the build. I kept it pretty tidy but I didn't go crazy because I was just trying to figure out how to put everything together.

I bought a key for Windows on eBay, the key worked when I installed Windows last night but now it's telling me that my key isn't working because I'm this key has already been used in another device. Do I bother contacting the seller or just try to find another?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

It may be that its not a good fit for you. I have to be honest, 2 monitors clicked for me immediately. Ill admit Im not always using them but I certainly didnt want to go back after experiencing it. If it doesn't click right away maybe your primary monitor is just good enough for your usage.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Got a (probably silly) question. I built an itx rig rocking my old gtx 1070 which I use mainly for VR and 1440p gaming as I have it hooked up to my 4k tv. In general, the 1070 often struggles to maintain 60fps at 1440p. Would it be worthwhile to grab a 2060 super for 1440p 60fps? I'd thought about another 2070 super but I got one recently for my main rig and would prefer not to put money down on another one lol

I've also looked into the AMD 5700/XT cards but those seem like massive nightmare migraines and absolutely not worth touching.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Got a (probably silly) question. I built an itx rig rocking my old gtx 1070 which I use mainly for VR and 1440p gaming as I have it hooked up to my 4k tv. In general, the 1070 often struggles to maintain 60fps at 1440p. Would it be worthwhile to grab a 2060 super for 1440p 60fps? I'd thought about another 2070 super but I got one recently for my main rig and would prefer not to put money down on another one lol

I've also looked into the AMD 5700/XT cards but those seem like massive nightmare migraines and absolutely not worth touching.

Honestly if you can wait I would wait for the new Nvidia cards coming this year to be honest. Unless you really need something new right away dumping money into the current cards seems kind of a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.