• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
The WD Blue and Crucial MX500 are the most commonly recommended 2.5" SSDs w/ DRAM. I grabbed one of the Blue's earlier this morning; the sale price is $104.99 after promo code. Prices were cheaper around black friday season, but ssd prices have been edging up slightly so figured this is a decent price right now.

Are you buying this to replace your OS drive, or to use only as a games/data drive? If it's going to be your OS drive, I'd consider going NVMe, but $170 is a lot to spend for 1TB; there are cheaper-yet-similar-performance NVMe's on the market between the budget drives (660p) and the premium drives (EVO/EVO Plus).

But either way, if you're still on HDD, even a SATA SSD will be a big step up.
It will be replacing my OS drive which is also a Western Digital HDD. Even with the current amount of games I have installed, I'm only using over 400GB of space so having everything on one drive is not a problem for me.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone speak to how enjoyable or difficult it is to game on a 55 inch TV?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd kinda like to know this too. Is it basically just like Console?

I use both a monitor and TV and it works well, mostly. When i want to game on the TV i set the computer to only use that display and i open the game up and can play with either mouse and keyboard or a controller.

There are some issues though. A lot of the time i have to change my sound output for Dolby Atmos, but sometimes the setting sticks. And i've noticed the uplay launcher doesn't always like switching displays with different resolutions, so i open it after switching to the TV. Steam Big Picture works great, though.

Once in game it's not much different from a console, just takes an extra minute to actually get in game.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet, thanks man! I have a 2080 super, so this doesn't seem super hard to do based on his video. I'll have to try it out. I also found a short video from him as well on CPU undervolting. Is it ok to do both? Seems like if it is you could shave 10-15 degrees all said and done. Which is huge in my opinion, especially on SFF cases.

Assuming your chip isn't complete garbage, I'd bet you'd be able to do a nice undervolt and a good all core overclock.

I have my 8700k clocked 4.6 all core at like 1.128v

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Playing first person shooters on a 55 inch tv is not great in my opinion. The experience is great but It hard work processing all that screen information and reacting to it as fast as you can. There is a reason why the pro's still play on 24 inch or 25 inch monitors.

open world games are very good though.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'd kinda like to know this too. Is it basically just like Console?

It is near exactly like console. Except that it boots into the game faster (thanks SSD). And you can use ANY controller you want.

I do FPS on monitor and most everything else on TV.

Have a small wireless media keyboard nearby your couch. Other than that, your controller will sync instantly, and enjoy Steam big picture mode.

Edit: forgot to add that using Win+P to switch between monitor and TV also automatically switches the sound from PC speakers (monitor), to 5.1 surround (TV with receiver). So good.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I humbly ask the pc build community to help a guy out.

Its pc cpu and platform upgrade time, but I'm torn between 2 AMD Ryzen processors, the 2700x and the 3700x.

Im currently running on an haswell i5 4440 which has more then met my expectations since I first got it way back in 2014. Thing has been a champ.

But thanks to vr, and my wife and kids going on holiday for weeks, it's time to upgrade the thing. Add to this with brexit likely pushing up prices next year, and the virus likely putting strain on the supply chain, it's time to cash in before I'm paying a fair bit more for no real reason.

My 970 still meets the requirements for oculus link. Using my current machine with my quest has been ok, but yeah at times you can tell, and hear, the machine running into its limits VR badly exposes. I'm running on an SSD build, with a low power, big storage spindle HDD for my media and stuff. The cpu is the oldest thing in the machine. I have a 650w modular psu and the ram will be doubled from 8gb to 16.

My pc will also be used to play next gen games from next year, with a gpu upgrade, but that can wait. I'm not going to splurge on a guy when new ones will come out by the time I really do need a new gpu in 2021.

Currently, the 2700x is priced and a bloody good £150 here in the uk, the 3700x is around 260, so you can see why I'm apprehensive to jump to that price. It's a big one.

As mentioned above, the wife and kids are going abroad for a long time, so I had to spend a four figure digit because of it. However I don't want the 2700x to be a little redundant next year when games and VR take a big jump in requirments.

I fully intend to put a custom air cooler on it right off the bat, and oc it when needed. But look at the TDP, for both, I'd rather not have a power guzzling cpu that will increase both the energy bill and global warming over the year. It's 105w for the 2700x vs 65w for the 3700x. I've read the 2700x takes a lot more juice to power when overclocked.

What do people think? Save the cash and upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 series from the 2700x say three to 4 years down the line? Or use the 3700x for a few years more?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I humbly ask the pc build committee to help a guy out.

Its pc cpu and platform upgrade time, but I'm torn between 2 AMD Ryzen processors, the 2700x and the 3700x.

Im currently running on an haswell i5 4440 which has more then met my expectations since I first got it way back in 2014. Thing has been a champ.

But thanks to vr, and my wife and kids going on holiday for weeks, it's time to upgrade the thing. Add to this with brexit likely pushing up prices next year, and the virus likely putting strain on the supply chain, it's time to cash in before I'm paying more for no real reason.

My 970 still meets the requirements for oculus link. Using my current machine with my quest has been ok, but yeah at times you can tell, and hear, the machine running into its limits VR badly exposes. I'm running on an SSD build, with a low power, big storage spindle HDD for my media and stuff.

My pc will also be used to play next gen games from next year, with a gpu upgrade, but that can wait. I'm not going to splurge on a guy when new ones will come out by the time I really do need a new gpu in 2021.

Currently, the 2700x is priced and a bloody good £150 here in the uk, the 3700x is around 260, so you can see why I'm apprehensive to jump to that price. It's a big one.

As mentioned above, the wife and kids are going abroad for a long time, so I had to spend a four figure digit because of it. However I don't want the 2700x to be a little redundant next year when games and VR take a big jump in requirments.

I fully intend to put a custom air cooler on it right off the bat, and oc it when needed. But look at the TDP, for both, I'd rather not have a power guzzling cpu that will increase both the energy bill and global warming over the year.

What do people think? Save the cash and upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 series from the 2700x say three to 4 years down the line? Or use the 3700x for a few years more?
3700x.

When you buy your new GPU next year, you will be glad you did.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and I humbly ask the pc build community to help a guy out.

I fully intend to put a custom air cooler on it right off the bat, and oc it when needed. But look at the TDP, for both, I'd rather not have a power guzzling cpu that will increase both the energy bill and global warming over the year. It's 105w for the 2700x vs 65w for the 3700x. I've read the 2700x takes a lot more juice to power when overclocked.
  • My personal strategy: buy the 3600 and an X570 board so I can upgrade to Ryzen 4000 later this year. The 2700x would be roughly equivalent, if you need 8 cores now.
  • That being said, don't worry about the 105w/65w number, that's not literally the power draw. It's more of a peak number and there is some nuance to it (Gamers Nexus vid).
If you're planning on waiting years for your CPU, yeah, I would go 3700X now. It's the closest equivalent to the Zen2 CPU announced by Microsoft for Xbox Series X.

Anyone know when AMD is slated to announce/release the 4000 series?

Unknown. Lisa Su said "2020", and Ryzen 3000 did launch in Summer, but the few anecdotal tech journalist comments I've seen have strongly suggested later than that. Whether that means September or December is anyone's guess.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
  • My personal strategy: buy the 3600 and an X570 board so I can upgrade to Ryzen 4000 later this year. The 2700x would be roughly equivalent, if you need 8 cores now.
  • That being said, don't worry about the 105w/65w number, that's not literally the power draw. It's more of a peak number and there is some nuance to it (Gamers Nexus vid).
If you're planning on waiting years for your CPU, yeah, I would go 3700X now. It's the closest equivalent to the Zen2 CPU announced by Microsoft for Xbox Series X.

Unknown. Lisa Su said "2020", and Ryzen 3000 did launch in Summer, but the few anecdotal tech journalist comments I've seen have strongly suggested later than that. Whether that means September or December is anyone's guess.

Got it. I may just go for the 3700x now.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Got it. I may just go for the 3700x now.

Good move. For a longer term investment, I wouldn't consider anything other than a 3700X (or better) or 9900K at this point. At least you'll have an 8C/16T processor that's definitely faster than next-gen consoles with that setup. The 3700X is a fairly substantial improvement over the 2700.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the latest reporting from AMD's recent Financial Analyst Day.

"Late 2020" for Epyc. So far desktop parts have lead Epyc, but that doesn't tell us much. If they keep their cadence, Q3 for desktop, Q4 for server would be my guess.

Last edited:

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
If my cpu comes with thermal paste preinstalled can I still use the "better" paste that purchased with my parts? I assume I'd have to remove the preinstalled paste to apply the new?

another question I have is that my Motherboard says that it's (wifi). Does that mean that wifi is built in or just that it supports a wifi card?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
If my cpu comes with thermal paste preinstalled can I still use the "better" paste that purchased with my parts? I assume I'd have to remove the preinstalled paste to apply the new?

another question I have is that my Motherboard says that it's (wifi). Does that mean that wifi is built in or just that it supports a wifi card?
Yes, and that usually means it has a wifi card on the board already and comes with the antenna to connect.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any tips for extending bluetooth range (30ish ft)? I had an m2 Bluetooth 4.2 card which worked but my new mobo doesn't have a slot for it. Long range bt adapter, pcie card?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

To be very specific, you can always use your own paste (or sheet) but if there is already paste applied, you'll need ideally isopropyl alcohol to wipe that off properly.

All boards that say WiFi in the name already have a wireless solution on the motherboard. You connect the antenna to the plugs on the back to make Bluetooth and WiFi work. If you don't have that, you typically can buy a WiFi or WiFi+BT PCIe card, although generally it's a better deal to get it built-in.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017

But thanks to vr, and my wife and kids going on holiday for weeks, it's time to upgrade the thing. Add to this with brexit likely pushing up prices next year, and the virus likely putting strain on the supply chain, it's time to cash in before I'm paying a fair bit more for no real reason.

My 970 still meets the requirements for oculus link. Using my current machine with my quest has been ok, but yeah at times you can tell, and hear, the machine running into its limits VR badly exposes. I'm running on an SSD build, with a low power, big storage spindle HDD for my media and stuff. The cpu is the oldest thing in the machine. I have a 650w modular psu and the ram will be doubled from 8gb to 16.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There's not a lot of value in overclocking Ryzen CPUs, unfortunately.

The 3700x is a beast CPU, but I noticed you've only mentioned games as your usage. I know you didn't ask, but I'd urge you to take another look at the 3600 if you haven't already. It hits a really great price/performance sweet spot for games. You won't really see any FPS difference between the 3600 and 3700x.

Now if you still really want the extra headroom of 8C/16T for things other than games, I'd recommend the 3700x just for the peace of mind that you shouldn't have to upgrade for a while.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017

The thermal paste would be pre-applied on the cooler, assuming your CPU comes with a cooler. You can remove it with a Q-Tip and some 90+% Isopropyl alcohol.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
There's not a lot of value in overclocking Ryzen CPUs, unfortunately.

The 3700x is a beast CPU, but I noticed you've only mentioned games as your usage. I know you didn't ask, but I'd urge you to take another look at the 3600 if you haven't already. It hits a really great price/performance sweet spot for games. You won't really see any FPS difference between the 3600 and 3700x.

Now if you still really want the extra headroom of 8C/16T for things other than games, I'd recommend the 3700x just for the peace of mind that you shouldn't have to upgrade for a while.

This is a really good point. Alot of us (myself included) will point to the next gen consoles as the baseline spec of 8c/16t and immediately pivot to recommending the 3700x, when the 3600 will likely be just as gaming capable for a significant savings (that could be plowed into a better GPU instead). And if it's not, you could sell the 3600 and take a really small $ hit given how inexpensive it is already.

That said if someone doesn't plan on upgrading their CPU for 4 years or their next entire build then the 3700x is great value. Full disclosure: 3700x owner

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
So my 3950x finally arrived. assembled it. Didn't boot. Sigh.

It's been a minute (since my 3770k) since I've built so it's probably user error of some sort. Going to trouble shoot in the morning.

hopefully I can get it up and running before my PG35VQ arrives on Saturday.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
Alright, help me out here~

1) What's your budget and currency? $2,000

2)
What do you want to use the computer for? Gaming

3)
When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it? Over time, I don't have the room for it currently where I'm living, but I want to get everything in advance before I move out.

4)
Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer? Completely new. Will be the first ever build.

5)
Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers? Everything.

6)
Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or video card at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)

Probably not.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So my 3950x finally arrived. assembled it. Didn't boot. Sigh.

It's been a minute (since my 3770k) since I've built so it's probably user error of some sort. Going to trouble shoot in the morning.

hopefully I can get it up and running before my PG35VQ arrives on Saturday.
What board are you using. You need to make sure its compatible with ryzen 3000.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This is a really good point. Alot of us (myself included) will point to the next gen consoles as the baseline spec of 8c/16t and immediately pivot to recommending the 3700x, when the 3600 will likely be just as gaming capable for a significant savings (that could be plowed into a better GPU instead). And if it's not, you could sell the 3600 and take a really small $ hit given how inexpensive it is already.

That said if someone doesn't plan on upgrading their CPU for 4 years or their next entire build then the 3700x is great value. Full disclosure: 3700x owner
Makes me worried about the i79700k purchase I made in December when I read this all the time

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018

wait, so the 3700x is recommended over the 3600x for mainly just gaming and future proofing? 😫

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I need a good recommendation. For a gaming keyboard under 100. I want a mechanical ideally

I got the HyperX Alloy. Depending what you want you should get it for under 100 €/$.

I have the most basic one with red LEDs. It has great build quality with a steel frame, compact design, comes with Cherry MX red and changeable keycaps for WSAD and 1234.

Oct 25, 2017
How likely is it, that we'll be seeing the Nvidia 3000 series at the GTC 2020?
I haven't followed any rumors.

Is it safe to asume that Ryzen 4000 will be running on x570 MBs?
I mean it's going to be 7nm+ and there won't be many new features compared to PCIe 4.0 on Ryzen 3000.

It's good. Using my PC exclusively on my LG C9.
I'm sitting about 2,5 to 3 meters away from it.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
How likely is it, that we'll be seeing the Nvidia 3000 series at the GTC 2020?
I haven't followed any rumors.

Is it safe to asume that Ryzen 4000 will be running on x570 MBs?
I mean it's going to be 7nm+ and there won't be many new features compared to PCIe 4.0 on Ryzen 3000.

RTX 3000 is somewhat likely for GTC 2020, although it could be announced around that date too. It seems more likely to announce then as opposed to a month or two later though...

According to this slide from AMD, Ryzen 4000 uses AM4 which means X570 support most likely. X670 chipset could appear at the same time, but X570 is already pretty robust. Ryzen 5000 is when a new socket seems likely as other changes are coming next year (DDR5...PCIe 5...USB 3.2gen2x2 lol) As always everyone is a bit at the mercy of BIOS updates.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in going the other way. I have a Fractal Define S now and that has a ton of space I don't really use. I have a double AIO system in it right now as the second one I bought used didn't end up fitting on my 2080 Ti after all so I put it on my 3700X.

But at the same time I don't have all that much in my PC anymore (no racks of disk drives, an optical drive etc) so I'm heavily considering building a NZXT H1 system instead. The only problem with that is the GPU space does not leave all that many options for what will fit in there but I will probably make this when next gen GPUs are released and plan accordingly.
There's always the H200. Not as small as the H1 obviously but it is a great little tower that manages to keep most of the functionality of the larger cases. I have two AIO's installed too, an X62 on my 3700x and a Corsair H55 on my RTX 2080 with the Kraken G12 and its wonderful.

Small cases are great, but they do come with their sacrifices. Especially SFF. Thermals can be a real issue, they are a bitch to build in. Idk how many times I muttered to myself 'this aint gonna fit' whilst trying to install the X62 and H55.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
I got a pc vr system. My 2080 slots are all full (2 monitors and one tv). I was thinking of getting a cheap gpu just to connect my tv to that so i can have my vr system also connected without having to switch cables every time i want to use it. Would that work? Would it produce any kinda of performance issues?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
There's always the H200. Not as small as the H1 obviously but it is a great little tower that manages to keep most of the functionality of the larger cases. I have two AIO's installed too, an X62 on my 3700x and a Corsair H55 on my RTX 2080 with the Kraken G12 and its wonderful.

Small cases are great, but they do come with their sacrifices. Especially SFF. Thermals can be a real issue, they are a bitch to build in. Idk how many times I muttered to myself 'this aint gonna fit' whilst trying to install the X62 and H55.
Pics please!

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a pc vr system. My 2080 slots are all full (2 monitors and one tv). I was thinking of getting a cheap gpu just to connect my tv to that so i can have my vr system also connected without having to switch cables every time i want to use it. Would that work? Would it produce any kinda of performance issues?
A standard 2080 should have 4 (maybe 5) slots, no? 3x DP, 1x HDMI, (1x VirtualLink if you count that). Which model do you have?

There is no harm in popping in a 1030 and running the TV from that, if you only use the TV for netflix etc. and not gaming.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sure thing, will upload some in about 6 hours when I am home from work :)
The VR headset uses HDMI correct? Does your motherboard not have a HDMI slot you can use for the tv?

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
This might not be the right thread because its not gaming related but I thought I would give it a shot. I purchased the below budget laptop an Acer Swift 3 (on sale) for basic word processing and added ram since the laptop only came with 4gb. I added another 8gb stick and was expecting 12gb of total usable ram. However the computer seems recognize all 12gb but is saying only 10gb is usable. Any idea why its doing this and is there any fix? Thanks in advance I'm not really into the technical workings of computers.

Th laptop I bought:
store.acer.com

Swift 3 Laptop - SF314-41-R3M0

Features the AMD® Ryzen™ 5 3500U processor; 4 GB standard memory; 128 GB solid state drive; AMD® Radeon™ Vega 8 graphics; 14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) ComfyView IPS display; IEEE 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Shop now at the Acer Store!

The ram I added:

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
I got mine when they first came out. It has 2 dp and one HDMI slot. It is this one Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Phoenix GS .
The VR headset uses HDMI correct? Does your motherboard not have a HDMI slot you can use for the tv?
You are right the motherboard i have (x470 aorus ultra gaming) does have an hdmi which i didn't notice before. There is no build in gpu or so i thought though. I will try connecting my tv to that. Did that. The tv gets no signal.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This might not be the right thread because its not gaming related but I thought I would give it a shot. I purchased the below budget laptop an Acer Swift 3 (on sale) for basic word processing and added ram since the laptop only came with 4gb. I added another 8gb stick and was expecting 12gb of total usable ram. However the computer seems recognize all 12gb but is saying only 10gb is usable. Any idea why its doing this and is there any fix? Thanks in advance I'm not really into the technical workings of computers.

Th laptop I bought:
store.acer.com

Swift 3 Laptop - SF314-41-R3M0

Features the AMD® Ryzen™ 5 3500U processor; 4 GB standard memory; 128 GB solid state drive; AMD® Radeon™ Vega 8 graphics; 14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) ComfyView IPS display; IEEE 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Shop now at the Acer Store!

The ram I added:
Perhaps 2GB is now being reserved for the onboard GPU? Might be a setting in the BIOS to control this if so.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I got mine when they first came out. It has 2 dp and one HDMI slot. It is this one Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Phoenix GS .

This one? Check "Gallery", it shows 5 connections. Perhaps you have something blocking the upper one, or it is hard to see?

p01018_pic_12225c19d93252f4a.png

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.