• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
wish I found out about the NZXT H1 mini case earlier (wanted the Corsair One if you could have just purchased the case)...that thing looks so good but the case only purchase is all sold out...
I was thinking about going all out making a custom water cooled build either this year or next year. But a compact thing like that is very enticing

It looks really neat, and a sweet engineering tech, however big cases are always so much more convenient and cool. Case in point, I've always built in the most compact mid tower cases, sometimes as small as mATX. I was also considering the H1 as soon as I could find one. But this past week I switched to the Lian Li o11 dynamic after seeing such positive reviews on it. Largest case I've ever owned.
Results? PERFECT. Satisfied? 100%YES

Building in a larger case is a breeze. Cable management is dead easy and aesthetically any RGB or stylistic touches on the PC show really well.

But the best part? The temps. In my own case, GPU temps dropped an average of 17 degrees, peaking at 20 degree difference in some games. 20 degrees!!! MASSIVE difference!

So yeah, bigger is better, imho. For cooling, low noise, and aesthetics.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's crazy the amount of influence Linus has on this kind of stuff. I have read reviews on Amazon from a lot of people mentioning they bought certain component due to his videos.

Hype! It's always exciting when you get to build a new PC so enjoy!

I subbed to linus on YT only like a month ago, gotta say he makes salient points.

Favourite of mine has long been gamersnexus Steve, the level of component testing and relative efficiency of his videos makes it an easy tech channel to follow. Everything I bought based on his recommendations have exactly matched his test results and build quality impressions. Honesty is so refreshing.

RandomError

Oct 27, 2017
Another pic that i took last night of my beauty. I'm obsessed.

oei42a2hvbk41.jpg

I actively avoid RGB, but this looks gorgeous.

Well this is interesting!

tldr: buy!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
(I really shouldn't ask this as it is a very dangerous and slippery slope if I start seriously thinking about this lol)

So.... Are there any worthy Video Card upgrades available right now if I am currently using a GTX 1080 and playing in 1440p?

Everything I'm playing is definitely playable but I have started to notice performance issues for sure and the next round of big games coming out this year will only make it worse...

I guess I don't really care about Ray Tracing? I mean, it's cool but I don't think the performance hit makes it really worth it right now?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I subbed to linus on YT only like a month ago, gotta say he makes salient points.

Favourite of mine has long been gamersnexus Steve, the level of component testing and relative efficiency of his videos makes it an easy tech channel to follow. Everything I bought based on his recommendations have exactly matched his test results and build quality impressions. Honesty is so refreshing.
Linus content is a mix of entertainment/info roundup all around but yeah Steve from GN is in a whole 'nother level when it comes to technical reviews on components. He is also painfully honest with his reviews to the point some companies, especially case manufacturers, hate him lol. Thanks to him I bought the current case I have, the Cooler Master NR400 and it's been excellent. Great thermals, look and value, costing me only $65, and it has the look and quality of an NZXT case which most of them are close to $100, if not more in some online stores.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
It looks really neat, and a sweet engineering tech, however big cases are always so much more convenient and cool. Case in point, I've always built in the most compact mid tower cases, sometimes as small as mATX. I was also considering the H1 as soon as I could find one. But this past week I switched to the Lian Li o11 dynamic after seeing such positive reviews on it. Largest case I've ever owned.
Results? PERFECT. Satisfied? 100%YES

Building in a larger case is a breeze. Cable management is dead easy and aesthetically any RGB or stylistic touches on the PC show really well.

But the best part? The temps. In my own case, GPU temps dropped an average of 17 degrees, peaking at 20 degree difference in some games. 20 degrees!!! MASSIVE difference!

I'm interested in going the other way. I have a Fractal Define S now and that has a ton of space I don't really use. I have a double AIO system in it right now as the second one I bought used didn't end up fitting on my 2080 Ti after all so I put it on my 3700X.

But at the same time I don't have all that much in my PC anymore (no racks of disk drives, an optical drive etc) so I'm heavily considering building a NZXT H1 system instead. The only problem with that is the GPU space does not leave all that many options for what will fit in there but I will probably make this when next gen GPUs are released and plan accordingly.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone ever gotten a motherboard that basically seems to work fine, but just consistently takes a really long time to POST? Talking upwards of 60 seconds, every boot.

Just for posterity, a specific usb hub was causing this. Problem away when the hub is unplugged. Notably, the hub isn't broken, it works fine in every other respect. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Does anyone have a good guide that holds your hand step by step through the undervolting process? Being totally green and not the most educated on anything voltage related?

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got all my parts and my daughter and I are going to build it together in the next few days.im currently looking for a good building guide but I have two questions.

1. When I buy Windows off of eBay am I getting just a key for Windows or am I getting the software with it?

2. can anyone recommend a good antivirus software?

looking forward to giving this a shot for the first time, should be fun.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone recommend the 27GL850-B LG monitor here? The ultra gear one
Deciding between that and that TUF and the LG is actually in stock at a place by me, just a 70$ price difference between the two so I wasn't really sure

Reddit overwhelmingly seems to think LG

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got all my parts and my daughter and I are going to build it together in the next few days.im currently looking for a good building guide but I have two questions.

1. When I buy Windows off of eBay am I getting just a key for Windows or am I getting the software with it?

1. That depends on who's selling it. Read the description from the seller. The software itself is easy enough to download from Microsoft though.
2. Windows Defender is adequate but sites like AV Comparatives or AV Test show it tends to have both a higher performance cost and lower detection rate than some of the other alternatives out there. I suggest reading their test scores and judging for yourself. What is more important is to use something like MalwareBytes for malware detection and also just not being an idiot and observe safe practices online.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017

click on the link above ^^ and click on download tool now. youll need a usb drive with at least 8gb. it will download an exe that youll run and it will create a bootable usb drive that will install windows for you. as for ebay, look for "windows activation keys". either pro or home version, your choice. but really theres no reason to not get pro. when it comes to installing windows, make sure you pick the correct version to install (ie win 10 home or win 10 pro). when it asks you for a cd key, just select skip or "i dont have one". once you get to the desktop after installation is done, go into your activation settings and thats where youll put in your activation code.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
(I really shouldn't ask this as it is a very dangerous and slippery slope if I start seriously thinking about this lol)

So.... Are there any worthy Video Card upgrades available right now if I am currently using a GTX 1080 and playing in 1440p?

Everything I'm playing is definitely playable but I have started to notice performance issues for sure and the next round of big games coming out this year will only make it worse...

I guess I don't really care about Ray Tracing? I mean, it's cool but I don't think the performance hit makes it really worth it right now?
5700/XT.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't been steered wrong by ESET Nod32 yet.
the listing states otherwise, most ebay sales are for the key only

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm... Looking at benchmarks, the 5700XT appears to be running around the same level as a 1080TI. Does AMD not have a card that is roughly equivalent to 2080/2080TI but without the ray tracing?

A 1080 Ti is around 8-10% faster than a 5700 XT and the Radeon VII is just a bad buy.
AMD doesn't have anything to compete at the high end yet.

Honestly coming from a 1080 anything below a 2080 wouldn't be worth the upgrade to me.
And even then I wouldn't recommend you buy anything.
Hold on to your 1080 for a few more months and buy a next gen card.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have a Ryzen 2900x with Taichi Ultimate motherboard. Isn't it possible to hot swap the two processors without me having to do a clean install or formatting?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
A 1080 Ti is around 8-10% faster than a 5700 XT and the Radeon VII is just a bad buy.
AMD doesn't have anything to compete at the high end yet.

Honestly coming from a 1080 anything below a 2080 wouldn't be worth the upgrade to me.
And even then I wouldn't recommend you buy anything.
Hold on to your 1080 for a few more months and buy a next gen card.
All right, thanks!

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I currently have a Ryzen 2900x with Taichi Ultimate motherboard. Isn't it possible to hot swap the two processors without me having to do a clean install or formatting?
Guessing you accidentally a word.

If you are replacing one AM4 CPU with a newer AM4 CPU on the same motherboard (don't know what chipset you're on), just check your board's CPU compatibility list. You may need to update the BIOS first, depending on what version you're running currently.

But you wouldn't need to re-install or re-format.

If you have anything overclocked, set it back to defaults too. (I'd assume this would happen automatically when a new CPU's detected, but not something I've dealt with.)

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Guessing you accidentally a word.

If you are replacing one AM4 CPU with a newer AM4 CPU on the same motherboard (don't know what chipset you're on), just check your board's CPU compatibility list. You may need to update the BIOS first, depending on what version you're running currently.

But you wouldn't need to re-install or re-format.

If you have anything overclocked, set it back to defaults too. (I'd assume this would happen automatically when a new CPU's detected, but not something I've dealt with.)
I built the computer last summer with upgrading to the 3000 series later on in mind. I just wasn't sure if the 3950x can be swapped out as easily as the lower end 3000 series cpu's?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm really considering upgrading to sooner than later. The question is, should I get this now or wait until the 4th Gen Ryzen CPUs come out in the summer? I call it my blackout build.

System Builder

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I built the computer last summer with upgrading to the 3000 series later on in mind. I just wasn't sure if the 3950x can be swapped out as easily as the lower end 3000 series cpu's?
As long as the board mfr says it's supported, and BIOS is updated, I'd think it should be fine. I assume a Taiichi Ultimate is an X470.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Deciding between that and that TUF and the LG is actually in stock at a place by me, just a 70$ price difference between the two so I wasn't really sure

There is 27GL83A too, that's cheaper and it just lacks P3 gamut which is really not important. I would get that.

GL850 is good but there is the usual quality control problems 1440p monitors have so I would buy from amazon in case you want to return or some place that takes returns. LG's warranty is pretty junk too so much that buying that in store warranty/protection might not be a bad idea if you are concerned.

Personally I like the LG because of its design and look, asus monitors are UGLY and GL850/83A have the best QHD panel right now anyway. It is the better product and if you don't get a lemon you should be pretty happy with it. There is nothing better right now at 1440p.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

I've lived both now, Corsair 250D for years in MITX and now Meshify C in Mid Tower. The H1 solves a lot of problems I had with ITX; most of the cable routing is basically done for you, cooler and PSU are already there. It's probably the easiest desktop PC build you can imagine.

The problems in my exp come later, and depend a lot on your home situation. ITX boxes like that pump heat out like a smokestack. Noise - while not annoying - is clearly audible and requires more maintenance for dust and potentially repasting. And depending on where you point it there is literally a dual slot GPU fan pointed at your face. So if you're in a warm environment...that sucks. Meanwhile, my 6 fan Meshify doesn't even make an audible sound when it turns on. (But it's big enough to go under the desk...). Still, they both have their place and the thought of a no-nonsense build like the H1 is appealing.

With Steve it's not so much honesty as it is scientific rigour. Gamers Nexus is thorough. They think through the test methodology really hard and at times are pure investigative journalists. Linus and LTT are also entertaining and helpful, but not so much a rigour channel as a +/- stop. Sometimes, you just need the "should I buy it?" but when it comes to CPU, GPU, Case comparisons? The rigour *really* helps. They basically browbeat the case industry into mesh.

There is a whole spectrum to this, honestly - LTT on being entertaining and key points, GN on rigor and detail - so depending on what you find helpful there is a mix of useful channels. Hardware Unboxed, for example, sometimes gives the appearance of "here's a nice table with 5 motherboards", but they were instrumental in taking MSi to task over their VRMs and even recently crushed Tom's Hardware for their lackluster test methodology.

This is what I'm really considering upgrading to sooner than later. The question is, should I get this now or wait until the 4th Gen Ryzen CPUs come out in the summer? I call it my blackout build.

System Builder

Hard to say if summer is really happening for Ryzen 4000 (some of the above YTs are doubtful of that date) but my opinion is basically that if you are set on R4000 but want to build now, you want the Ryzen 3600, which is just absurdly cheap. If you want to forget R4000 and build now, the 3700X is a good processor. But microcenter/amazon have recently been selling the 3900x for around $400 also, if you have access to either.

The build itself looks fine, though generally I would avoid MSI X570 boards until they resolve their VRM problems. MSI was the gold standard for B450 but screwed up on X570. Maybe that particular board is okay - I would look online for info - but if not that one there are plenty of other good X570 boards for that much or less from Gigabyte (Aorus), Asus (ROG), etc.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say if summer is really happening for Ryzen 4000 (some of the above YTs are doubtful of that date) but my opinion is basically that if you are set on R4000 but want to build now, you want the Ryzen 3600, which is just absurdly cheap. If you want to forget R4000 and build now, the 3700X is a good processor. But microcenter/amazon have recently been selling the 3900x for around $400 also, if you have access to either.

The build itself looks fine, though generally I would avoid MSI X570 boards until they resolve their VRM problems. MSI was the gold standard for B450 but screwed up on X570. Maybe that particular board is okay - I would look online for info - but if not that one there are plenty of other good X570 boards for that much or less from Gigabyte (Aorus), Asus (ROG), etc.

Apparently MSI fixed their VRM issues entirely with the board I chose.

Is it really worth spending the extra $100 or so on the 3900X? I mean, I'm not doing any video or graphical work (outside of gaming), so I don't think I need to go that far?

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
There is 27GL83A too, that's cheaper and it just lacks P3 gamut which is really not important. I would get that.

GL850 is good but there is the usual quality control problems 1440p monitors have so I would buy from amazon in case you want to return or some place that takes returns. LG's warranty is pretty junk too so much that buying that in store warranty/protection might not be a bad idea if you are concerned.

Personally I like the LG because of its design and look, asus monitors are UGLY and GL850/83A have the best QHD panel right now anyway. It is the better product and if you don't get a lemon you should be pretty happy with it. There is nothing better right now at 1440p.
Thanks! checked head to toe in NY and can't find any sign of the 27gl83a, yet I can find 2 instances of the more expensive model which is funny because everytime I search reddit threads on it everyone says they originally got the 27gl83a because they couldn't get the 850 lol

My 850 reservation is being picked up friday but i'll keep a look out the the other model, seems wiped clean off the market though

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Apparently MSI fixed their VRM issues entirely with the board I chose.

Is it really worth spending the extra $100 or so on the 3900X? I mean, I'm not doing any video or graphical work (outside of gaming), so I don't think I need to go that far?

Yeah if HUB says the board is good, then it's good, they are the ones who beat up MSI after all. If you want more vrm info I would search for buildzoid's X570 roundup videos. He's basically just about overclocking but it's interesting.

Ryzen 3700X: 8 cores, 3.6GHz (4.4 Boost)
Ryzen 3900X: 12 cores, 3.8GHz (4.6 Boost)

It's more of a future gamble, to be honest. The 3900X is basically a 3800X (so, clock bump) + 4 more cores/8 more threads. If games continue to find ways to use more threads, it could be useful. And the clockspeed is at least more useful. But yes, for the next few years for games 8 cores is plenty and a 5% clockspeed jump is probably not worth it.

That being said the only other thing I would mention is that if you're fine with the 3700X and are basically just gaming, then you can downsize the board a lot, too, either going B450 if you don't care for future upgrades to CPU that much, or cheaper X570 options (Asus TUF). If OC is your thing, I would probably reroute some money to your RAM and aim for quality 3600 stuff.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if HUB says the board is good, then it's good, they are the ones who beat up MSI after all. If you want more vrm info I would search for buildzoid's X570 roundup videos. He's basically just about overclocking but it's interesting.

Ryzen 3700X: 8 cores, 3.6GHz (4.4 Boost)
Ryzen 3900X: 12 cores, 3.8GHz (4.6 Boost)

It's more of a future gamble, to be honest. The 3900X is basically a 3800X (so, clock bump) + 4 more cores/8 more threads. If games continue to find ways to use more threads, it could be useful. And the clockspeed is at least more useful. But yes, for the next few years for games 8 cores is plenty and a 5% clockspeed jump is probably not worth it.

That being said the only other thing I would mention is that if you're fine with the 3700X and are basically just gaming, then you can downsize the board a lot, too, either going B450 if you don't care for future upgrades to CPU that much, or cheaper X570 options (Asus TUF). If OC is your thing, I would probably reroute some money to your RAM and aim for quality 3600 stuff.

The thing is, the Corsair 3600 was chosen because the DIMMs are short enough to fit under the D15.

I know there are cheaper X570 options and same with B450, but the Unify does have a bunch of features I would like to have around. And it's basically entirely black (trying not get RGB for the build). And I'm a big fan of an LED debugger.

Yeah I would think the 3700X would probably be best for what I would need. It's replacing the i7-6700K that I have.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The thing is, the Corsair 3600 was chosen because the DIMMs are short enough to fit under the D15.

I know there are cheaper X570 options and same with B450, but the Unify does have a bunch of features I would like to have around. And it's basically entirely black (trying not get RGB for the build). And I'm a big fan of an LED debugger.

Yeah, okay, I forgot what ram you chose. Anyway, no problem with the choices. I think even my TUF X570 has debug LEDs (not sure if it's the same as the MSI but it definitely has a traffic light LED setup on boot) but regardless of that, picking a MB is mainly about the feature list you want. Just that sometimes the 300+ dollar boards are mainly meant for OC or the highest level processors and you don't want to overpay for an IO shield and M2 heatsinks. It sounds like you know what you want, so no worries.

The thing that is a relative nightmare about Coolers vs. MB vs. RAM is that while the cooler vendors are quite good with schematics and measurements, the motherboard side is terrible. So like if you are worried about RAM clearance, half the time it doesn't matter because if you're getting a two stick kit, on AMD ATX the "primary" slots are actually slots 2 and 4, not 1 and 3. But if your cooler is very wide, then it still impacts 2, and so on. On my TUF X570 with Trident Z Neo, I carefully chose the DR4 Slim for clearance, but the reality is even the standard Dark Rock 4 probably would have fit

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience cooling a 9900k with a 240mm AIO?
drastic price difference between the 240 and 280 I'm looking at so was wondering if it's worth it

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
Does anyone have a good guide that holds your hand step by step through the undervolting process? Being totally green and not the most educated on anything voltage related?

probably assumes a certain level of enthusiast proficiency in places but this is a good starting point - and the fact that's youre considering undervolting in the first place probably puts you roughly in that space anyway

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
SolidSnakeUS You should check for yourself of course, but my quick google of specs suggests you needn't worry too much about RAM height in a Fractal Define 7 (185mm) + NH-D15 (165mm). So you should be able to raise the outer fan a whole 2cm over standard to accommodate tall RAM if need be. Also I'd advise a 2x16GB kit over a 4x8GB for sure, if nothing else for possible future upgrade options if need be.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
SolidSnakeUS You should check for yourself of course, but my quick google of specs suggests you needn't worry too much about RAM height in a Fractal Define 7 (185mm) + NH-D15 (165mm). So you should be able to raise the outer fan a whole 2cm over standard to accommodate tall RAM if need be. Also I'd advise a 2x16GB kit over a 4x8GB for sure, if nothing else for possible future upgrade options if need be.

4 single ranked modules are pretty much the way to go for a Ryzen, especially since it'll be using Infinity Fabric as well (3700X and DDR4 3600 being synced for speed): https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

Also, while I know I can raise the fan, I'd rather not have to do that just to fit the DIMMs. I know that I have zero issues with that fan or anything else in a case like that.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018

probably assumes a certain level of enthusiast proficiency in places but this is a good starting point - and the fact that's youre considering undervolting in the first place probably puts you roughly in that space anyway

Sweet, thanks man! I have a 2080 super, so this doesn't seem super hard to do based on his video. I'll have to try it out. I also found a short video from him as well on CPU undervolting. Is it ok to do both? Seems like if it is you could shave 10-15 degrees all said and done. Which is huge in my opinion, especially on SFF cases.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
4 single ranked modules are pretty much the way to go for a Ryzen, especially since it'll be using Infinity Fabric as well (3700X and DDR4 3600 being synced for speed): https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

Also, while I know I can raise the fan, I'd rather not have to do that just to fit the DIMMs. I know that I have zero issues with that fan or anything else in a case like that.
Interesting article I did not expect! I saw slow C18 RAM chosen in your pcpartpicker and assumed you were choosing for capacity only not performance reasons. Maybe it was just a placeholder?

For reasonably priced yet decent performance/overclockability, and it is still of a normal height - I would recommend the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT with AES in the name - this is "Micron E die". 2x16GB will be probably better than 4x8GB, since you'll still have four ranks but only using 2 dimms will probably still allow 1T command rate at 3600, especially on these daisychain topology X570 boards (almost all of them).

Also, do you need all those fans? I thought it came with 3 already.. will it even fit four more?!?

I might buy a Define 7 myself, was going to rebuild in my Define R4 but now the new one is out I am sorely tempted!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience cooling a 9900k with a 240mm AIO?
drastic price difference between the 240 and 280 I'm looking at so was wondering if it's worth it

I have a 9900KS with the Corsair H100i Pro with only two fans instead of push/pull. My idle temps are around 36 and around 75 when gaming, but it can get a bit higher depending on the load.

I also have the GL850 and i think it's great. After i bought it i also got an ROG ultrawide but ended up returning it do to quality control issues and just kept with the LG instead. My only issues are the blacks and the HDR. I use the sRGB mode in SDR with the backlight at 23 which is about 100 nits, so there actually is a difference when i play something in HDR...but i usually just play anything HDR on my C9. I definitely recommend the monitor though.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting article I did not expect! I saw slow C18 RAM chosen in your pcpartpicker and assumed you were choosing for capacity only not performance reasons. Maybe it was just a placeholder?

For reasonably priced yet decent performance/overclockability, and it is still of a normal height - I would recommend the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT with AES in the name - this is "Micron E die". 2x16GB will be probably better than 4x8GB, since you'll still have four ranks but only using 2 dimms will probably still allow 1T command rate at 3600, especially on these daisychain topology X570 boards (almost all of them).

Also, do you need all those fans? I thought it came with 3 already.. will it even fit four more?!?

I might buy a Define 7 myself, was going to rebuild in my Define R4 but now the new one is out I am sorely tempted!

It can hold 2 140mms on the front, 1 on the back, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I want all the intake and exhaust that I can get.

The Sport LT I don't believe comes in 3600. The reason I'm doing that is so that it matches the 3700X so it can do the 1:1 required for Infinity Fabric.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... Looking at benchmarks, the 5700XT appears to be running around the same level as a 1080TI. Does AMD not have a card that is roughly equivalent to 2080/2080TI but without the ray tracing?
Not yet. Should have some AMD high end cards arriving towards the end of this summer I would imagine.. right around the time Nvidia releases even better cards.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
After many years I've finally decided to upgrade to an SSD and Newegg has this for sale for $100. Is this a good deal for someone who mainly uses their PC for gaming? They also have an Samsung 970 EVO on sale for $170 but that is more than I am willing to spend.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
After many years I've finally decided to upgrade to an SSD and Newegg has this for sale for $100. Is this a good deal for someone who mainly uses their PC for gaming? They also have an Samsung 970 EVO on sale for $170 but that is more than I am willing to spend.
The WD Blue and Crucial MX500 are the most commonly recommended 2.5" SSDs w/ DRAM. I grabbed one of the Blue's earlier this morning; the sale price is $104.99 after promo code. Prices were cheaper around black friday season, but ssd prices have been edging up slightly so figured this is a decent price right now.

Are you buying this to replace your OS drive, or to use only as a games/data drive? If it's going to be your OS drive, I'd consider going NVMe, but $170 is a lot to spend for 1TB; there are cheaper-yet-similar-performance NVMe's on the market between the budget drives (660p) and the premium drives (EVO/EVO Plus).

But either way, if you're still on HDD, even a SATA SSD will be a big step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.