• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
So I got a motherboard I'd ordered off eBay today. I was looking at the CPU socket and noticed what look like bent pins?

Photo-02-28-2020-19-18-31.jpg

Those _are_ bent pins right? Not some aberration that's actually totally normal?

There's actually other bent pins all around the motherboard, but the CPU is what I'm really pissed off about.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Hey ya'll, I've got a few questions about some specs for a deal I've got my eye on.

The PC is listed as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Asus Prime B450
8 GB Crucial DPR4 2400 mhz
128 GB SSD
Evga 450 PSU
Asrock Phantom RX560 2GB

I'm not familiar with any of these, but it seems like a budget build. How old is that processor, and would this be enough to run something like Shadowbringers with decent performance? It's listed at $425, so I'm thinking it's a good deal regardless, but I haven't bought an AMD in years, and I dunno about the rest.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
upHere ARGB (6 pack): ~41 USD or around $6/fan
A top class TT or Corsair is ~25-35/fan.

The cheapo models usually rely on motherboard software for customization, but many of them have controllers (or remotes) with ~100 preset patterns which you can slowly change through like TV channels, so its actually pretty handy if you don't feel like becoming a temporary graphic artist to figure out a scheme. Sure, the top class fans look nicer, but nothing wrong with winning by numbers either and just loading up on fans and RGB strips.

EDIT: 140mm might be a bit harder to source but should still be something out there. I went 140mm TT but mainly because I only wanted a few and I wanted them to be my front and top intakes...

Was thinking of doing something a little nutty like this:

System Builder

Daisy chain the hell out of the LED, make it simple enough.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Hoping I could get some advice. I'm currently in need in a router and was wondering whether Netgear D6220 AC1200 Wifi Modem Router is sufficient. This model in particular since it's the only one available for this loyalty point program I'm signed to if not would have to consider buying. Not sure what I'm need to look for specifically other than a good connection. My set up is mostly that I run a LAN cable from the actual modem to another area and need a form of router in the separate location connected by the LAN so I can use laptop and consoles while also wifi. I currently have a router now but currently speeds are capped to 100 Mbps while my actual internet directly connected to LAN provides 950 Mbps.

Hard to say how good it is. Just looks like a cheap dualband (1x2.4GHz, 1x5GHz WiFi5) router, with a VDSL modem I guess you don't need. The LAN ports are gigabit, so it seems vaguely competent. I'm not certain the signal strength will be superb, but you'll at least get WiFi 5 (.ac) connections just fine across the two channels.

There are cheaper and better options out there but if you are getting it for not-money, it could work.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ya'll, I've got a few questions about some specs for a deal I've got my eye on.

The PC is listed as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Asus Prime B450
128 GB SSD
Evga 450 PSU
Asrock Phantom RX560 2GB

I'm not familiar with any of these, but it seems like a budget build. How old is that processor, and would this be enough to run something like Shadowbringers with decent performance? It's listed at $425, so I'm thinking it's a good deal regardless, but I haven't bought an AMD in years, and I dunno about the rest.
You could build a way better pc for slightly more. That's a pretty bad build for the money

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Asus Prime B450
128 GB SSD
Evga 450 PSU
Asrock Phantom RX560 2GB

• The CPU is two generations old (currently the 3600 is available) and I believe has been replaced by the 3200G? Or thereabouts.
  • RX560 is....really...slow...and its only the 2GB model.
It will play overwatch or FF14 or whatever alright at 1080p, I'm sure. But it's a 3 year old video card and CPU and only 8GB of RAM. It will work, but it's already dusty. For the money you could do quite a bit better, although a lot of corners get cut at that price.

Was thinking of doing something a little nutty like this:

System Builder

Daisy chain the hell out of the LED, make it simple enough.

Phanteks RGB controller and two strips, it looks like? Seems pretty good. Not sure you can plug other company fans into it, but as a standalone it seems pretty flexible and there's a remote to avoid using the MB at all if you prefer. I don't really like that it only lists ASUS/Msi but if you don't need direct MB sync who cares? If it works out you can just buy a ton of strips and christmas-tree your entire case. :lol

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Hi. I need some help as I already failed once. I need a motherboard that rivals or beats the x299 m7 ACK. when we tried to boot up everything we couldn't get the motherboard to give out any errors. It turned on, but was non-functional. if possible I would like for the motherboard to be able to accommodate:

i9-7900x
ddr4-3200
nvme m.2

any help would be appreciate. Thank you

edit. Think I found one I can use:

ASRock x299 TAICHI

Last edited:

CeramicDragon

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Orange, CA
I gotta pour one out for Fry's Electronics.

I have a ROG Asus monitor. Sometimes it takes a good minute when I boot it up for it to show an image. Why does it do this?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Phanteks RGB controller and two strips, it looks like? Seems pretty good. Not sure you can plug other company fans into it, but as a standalone it seems pretty flexible and there's a remote to avoid using the MB at all if you prefer. I don't really like that it only lists ASUS/Msi but if you don't need direct MB sync who cares? If it works out you can just buy a ton of strips and christmas-tree your entire case. :lol

Plus the Phantek Halos on each 140mm fan in the case to give it lots of glow. All of them daisy chained to the one controller, plus the 2 LED strips and then hooked into the same controller, damn that thing is going to light up.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Hard to say how good it is. Just looks like a cheap dualband (1x2.4GHz, 1x5GHz WiFi5) router, with a VDSL modem I guess you don't need. The LAN ports are gigabit, so it seems vaguely competent. I'm not certain the signal strength will be superb, but you'll at least get WiFi 5 (.ac) connections just fine across the two channels.

There are cheaper and better options out there but if you are getting it for not-money, it could work.
Thanks for the reply as I just needed someone confirming it could work and since I'm only mainly using it a small area and less reliance on Wifi, signal strength isn't much of a concern for me. It'll save me cost of spending as I'm quite tight on budget at the moment.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
  • The CPU is two generations old (currently the 3600 is available) and I believe has been replaced by the 3200G? Or thereabouts.

The replacements were the 2600 and then the 3600, all with 6 cores/12 threads and no iGPU, whereas the 3200G has a gpu on chip and only 4 cores/4 threads and is the successor to the 2200G, with the xxxxG chips being one architectural step behind the non-iGPU processors of their generation.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a ROG Asus monitor. Sometimes it takes a good minute when I boot it up for it to show an image. Why does it do this?
How old is it? Before their retirement my old Samsung 204b's did this (way longer than a minute towards the end) - in those it was the capacitors in their PSU giving out. But those are very old.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My CM 694 finally arrived, but the store was out of stock of the steel edition and sent me the tempered glass version....not the worst thing that could happen, but dont really like tempered glass panels.....im too easily distracted.....and my build is quite ugly.

The case is alot more handsome in person.
cm694_1024x768a-620x466.jpg

maped

Mar 7, 2018

Is it the monitor or system giving out signal that's the problem? If you switch off the monitor when in Windows and turn it back on does the picture come back immediately? When the picture comes is it the motherboard's splash screen or Windows login or what? It might be your motherboard is doing checks or memory training but you're not seeing it. If you're connected with displayport, try hdmi or dvi if possible, from my experience displayport is the slowest to wake up. Do you switch off your monitor when you shut down your computer and turn it back on or is it always on and its waking from sleep that's taking a long time? When you boot your machine is it a clean boot or do you have it set to go to sleep or hibernation, check your power settings.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is coil whine bad? It started when i started using Madvr codec with some intensive upscaling settings . Will it damage my gpu? 2080ti btw

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Welp just got unexpected kernel mode trap bsod. :/ Haha Maybe it is unstable after all. But idk if it's the CPU or GPU overclock. Will try both and figure out the problem. Going to be really bummed if I get another dud of a CPU.
CPUs shouldn't mcrash at the thermal limit, they should throttle, unless unstable. Same with the GPU (with some caveats). If it's crashing under stress it's unstable. If Prime 95 can crash it, CPU is an issue since thats not stressing the GPU. Also if you're worried about heat, you should address that too - add a case fan in the right spot - where is heat collecting/trapped in the case? Lower voltages and find a new stable clock, in my opinion.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
So I got a motherboard I'd ordered off eBay today. I was looking at the CPU socket and noticed what look like bent pins?

Those _are_ bent pins right? Not some aberration that's actually totally normal?

There's actually other bent pins all around the motherboard, but the CPU is what I'm really pissed off about.
Sure look bent to me.

I've seen videos of people using cocktail sticks and the like to straighten them out, but it seems quite the ball-achingly tedious job.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I hope someone can help me out:

I would like to grab a good mechanical keyboard (don't know much about them though I'd like the more silent triggers instead of clicky), but without all that RGB crap and with the numerical keypad (so, full-size keyboard). It seems every model being sold here in Sweden is some gamerriffic, ugly thing that I'm completely uninterested in. If it's possible to detach the keys in order to clean it, that's a plus. Also a plus if it has dedicated keys for volume control/mute and other shortcuts.

Any suggestions on models to look into? I guess it can be the gamer variants too as long as it's easy to disable the RGB stuff.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Anyone else have the Asus 27 Inch, 1440P Tuf Gaming monitor? I've been shopping around for a good 1440P monitor and this one keeps showing up in best-of lists.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
I hope someone can help me out:

I would like to grab a good mechanical leopard (don't know much about them though I'd like the more silent triggers instead of clicky), but without all that RGB crap and with the numerical keypad (so, full-size leopard). It seems every model being sold here in Sweden is some gamerriffic, ugly thing that I'm completely uninterested in. If it's possible to detach the keys in order to clean it, that's a plus. Also a plus if it has dedicated keys for volume control/mute and other shortcuts.

Any suggestions on models to look into? I guess it can be the gamer variants too as long as it's easy to disable the RGB stuff.

Das Keyboard and Cherry both make mechanical keyboards without lighting and extra embellishments, but getting those in scandinavian layout will probably be a lot more expensive than just buying the cheapest gamerboard that is otherwise acceptable and switching off the lights. Those also more often have the multimedia keys you're looking for and all Cherry-compatible keycaps can be removed for cleaning. If you can, it's worth trying some different keyboards to see what switches you'd like. The ones you're looking for would be linear like Cherry MX Red or Black (reds are lighter and the most ubiquitous) or tactile such as MX Brown or equivalents of those from other manufacturers.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
We mentioned the constant speeding up and down the other day - it is a must to enable fan smoothing in the bios. These new Ryzens boost from 2GHz to ~4.6GHz in a millisecond to attend a background process, then back down, then back up again. This causes heat to rise a few degrees, and in default settings this means the fan speed goes up and down tracking CPU temp closely. If you set fan smoothing to like 10 seconds or something, no harm will come of it but these annoying up/down noises will be eliminated.

Let me know if you ever set your board up (I think you said you had the X570i) and dig into the bios. I went into the fan settings and not sure how to do the fan smoothing... I set the CPU fan to "silent" but it doesnt appear to have made a difference. The fan stuff is way beyond my knowledge :(

Also - I plan to get another fan for the bottom of the ghost pushing air up probably a NF-A12x15 or 25, when they are in stock, so hopefully that increases cooling/thermals a bit.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
keep me posted with your findings and results! I do have a cheap bs HP wired mouse I got with my work laptop, which I decided to test. I didn't seem to notice any issues with that... seemed to work just fine. So for me it seems as if it may be something with the pc as the mouse has no issues on any other thing I use it on.

I checked my mouse drivers and settings and nothing I did seemed to correct it so I'm at a loss! My wireless mouse is just a basic Logitech M510 for the record.

Something that helped was changing the mouse polling rate, while it's still there it's less noticible. I tried updating to the new drivers. That was a mess and reverted back going to try the new mouse

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Let me know if you ever set your board up (I think you said you had the X570i) and dig into the bios. I went into the fan settings and not sure how to do the fan smoothing... I set the CPU fan to "silent" but it doesnt appear to have made a difference. The fan stuff is way beyond my knowledge :(

Also - I plan to get another fan for the bottom of the ghost pushing air up probably a NF-A12x15 or 25, when they are in stock, so hopefully that increases cooling/thermals a bit.

The relevant setting in Gigabyte boards is called Δ Temperature interval, increasing it increases the temperature change in degrees needed to increase fan speed. If you don't want to dig around in BIOS, you can also download the Gigabyte App center from your motherboards support page and use the Smart Fan 5 app to adjust the curves in Windows. It's been a while since I played around with the software but from what I remember it was fairly clear and easy to use. Also make sure you have the newest AMd chipset drivers and that your Windows Power Plan is set to Ryzen Balanced.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Something that helped was changing the mouse polling rate, while it's still there it's less noticible. I tried updating to the new drivers. That was a mess and reverted back going to try the new mouse

Mine has been acting better for longer periods of time but still is messed up and the mouse lags and the keyboard just doesn't record strokes. It kicks in every now and again. It's not worth the headache, laggy mouse AND keyboard. The keyboard is actually pretty much non responsive right now and it's making me insane! So I think for sure I will buy a new bluetooth mouse and keyboard because the headache is just not worth it. I just really hope that solves my issue and I don't have to mess around with it anymore. I need to figure out what KB&M setup I want to buy... a lot of the stuff I like is on the expensive side go figure - however I do not game with KB&M, its just for regular usage, I am a controller guy for gaming.

The relevant setting in Gigabyte boards is called Δ Temperature interval, increasing it increases the temperature change in degrees needed to increase fan speed. If you don't want to dig around in BIOS, you can also download the Gigabyte App center from your motherboards support page and use the Smart Fan 5 app to adjust the curves in Windows. It's been a while since I played around with the software but from what I remember it was fairly clear and easy to use. Also make sure you have the newest AMd chipset drivers and that your Windows Power Plan is set to Ryzen Balanced.

Cool thank you for the message. I downloaded that app, changed the fan to silent etc. However it still is loud and it literally ramps up every few seconds then calms down (which I know is an AMD thing per previous posts from Dave and such). Just so annoying.... I set the the temperature interval to 5 and it also doesn't help... I guess I have to set a custom fan curve? I don't know much about this to understand what I should be setting it too without causing potential thermal harm to the system :/

EDIT: Random thought... could the thermal paste be causing this to any degree? I only put a small pee sized amount on... but are you supposed to smear it around on the chip?

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Das Keyboard and Cherry both make mechanical keyboards without lighting and extra embellishments, but getting those in scandinavian layout will probably be a lot more expensive than just buying the cheapest gamerboard that is otherwise acceptable and switching off the lights. Those also more often have the multimedia keys you're looking for and all Cherry-compatible keycaps can be removed for cleaning. If you can, it's worth trying some different keyboards to see what switches you'd like. The ones you're looking for would be linear like Cherry MX Red or Black (reds are lighter and the most ubiquitous) or tactile such as MX Brown or equivalents of those from other manufacturers.

Thanks a lot for your reply, appreciated. I guess I don't have too much of a choice, the main thing is that most of the gaming keyboards I bump into are fugly as hell even without considering the RGB aspect.

Currently leaning towards a Logitech G413; looks sleek enough and the lighting on it isn't as overbearing if you decrease the brightness.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine has been acting better for longer periods of time but still is messed up and the mouse lags and the keyboard just doesn't record strokes. It kicks in every now and again. It's not worth the headache, laggy mouse AND keyboard. The keyboard is actually pretty much non responsive right now and it's making me insane! So I think for sure I will buy a new bluetooth mouse and keyboard because the headache is just not worth it. I just really hope that solves my issue and I don't have to mess around with it anymore. I need to figure out what KB&M setup I want to buy... a lot of the stuff I like is on the expensive side go figure - however I do not game with KB&M, its just for regular usage, I am a controller guy for gaming.

I would recommend in trying the new drivers that just released today first. For me they were a fail as it made my games drops fps pretty significantly. That's why I rolled back and trying the other mouse now.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017

yep bent. This is what I hate about intel's sockets. These don't look too badly bent aside from the ones on the left hand side, so they still might make appropriate contact to the cpu. Otherwise get to work with a super fine needle. Now that you've received and I guess didn't record the opening the seller can blame you for messing up the pins.

Around the time of 1156/1366, a lot of the stores around me actually started a policy that the person at the counter would open up the motherboard and view the pins with the customer before handing the board over. Bending pins during installation was just that common.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reverted everything back to stock settings and still got a bsod. :( Getting 3900x flashbacks all over again.

Did a system restore back to week ago before all of this overclocking nonsense I'm hoping this fixes it

Last edited:

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

So another update here for you. So in my case it was definitely the mouse, plugged in my replacement mouse and everything is smooth sailing. The other wireless mouse looks like it actually went on stand by pretty quick or lost connection pretty quick. So no ore stuttering mouse!.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So another update here for you. So in my case it was definitely the mouse, plugged in my replacement mouse and everything is smooth sailing. The other wireless mouse looks like it actually went on stand by pretty quick or lost connection pretty quick. So no ore stuttering mouse!.

Nice, I'm glad that sorted it out! :) I'm thinking they'd my issue too. Just odd since it's worked for like 5-6 other windows Machines. I'll just get a Bluetooth one, just indecisive on what i want.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

Put the CPU in and see if it works. If does, just use it and move on. If not, consider getting something very pointy and gently straighten the bent pins. If you think you can't handle it, considering asking for a return or refund if the seller didn't disclose this.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
yep bent. This is what I hate about intel's sockets. These don't look too badly bent aside from the ones on the left hand side, so they still might make appropriate contact to the cpu. Otherwise get to work with a super fine needle. Now that you've received and I guess didn't record the opening the seller can blame you for messing up the pins.

Oh, I am 100% returning this. I'm just pissed off because I'd meant to have an assembled PC by the end of the weekend.

They shouldn't be able to blame me—I went back and looked at the photo in the listing, and if you zoom in and look really closely you can see the bent pins there too. (You could therefor argue it's my fault for not noticing before purchase, but there was nothing about this in the item description, and it's the sort of thing you kind of have to mention.)

Nice idea on recording the unpacking, I'll do that with the replacement motherboard I ordered off eBay. (Shame I have to go used for Z97 stuff.)

Around the time of 1156/1366, a lot of the stores around me actually started a policy that the person at the counter would open up the motherboard and view the pins with the customer before handing the board over. Bending pins during installation was just that common.

It is? How are people bending pins? You just drop in the cpu...

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I guess I should update on my own build. I'm in Singapore so of course pricing is a bit wonky compared to the US.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3600
Just so cheap right now it's ridiculous. And it leaves room for an upgrade to a 3700X or Ryzen 4000 later in the year if you desire. Sure Intel 9700K is fast for gaming but it costs basically 2.5x here.

COOLER: Dark Rock 4 Slim
Legit quiet. But why the hell are we still living with these heatsink clips?!

MB: ASUS TUF X570 WiFi
Legit cheap X570 with VRMs that punch above weight. Holy crap UEFI is amazing compared to my old BIOS lifestyle. But this IO shield install stuff needs to die.

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo
#dramcalculatorlifestyle, sorry QVL

GPU: <Whatever>
I must admit it's annoying to have a CPU without a built in iGPU like Core has. But anyway, just no reason to buy a GPU right now. Waiting for RTX 3000/Big Navi/whatever. GTX 900 series is fine for now.

CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C
Great combi mid tower that isn't too big or too small. But damn, I wish I had removed that drive tray before installing the motherboard...

SSD: ADATA SX8200 Pro
We all thirst for AORUS Gen4 but for the same price you can just get 2TB of Gen3x4 and live in a world where every game installs to the SSD. I'm like one peripheral away from being "what's SATA?"...anyway, the nice part of going ATX is that this goes in one slot and there's always another slot there for whatever the nextgen Gen4 NVME chipsets bring.

FAN: Thermaltake Riing Trio 140mm x3
They look awesome. Perf is good. But man that RGB ecosystem is a dumpster fire. Tons of cables, controllers, proprietary plugs...on the plus side Riing's USB solution means only one cable/fan, but on the downside, you need that controller for them to work at all. And if you want to sync them with your motherboard's RGB solution? You need to replace the controller with a sold-separately TTPlus controller instead (despite it being advertised on the box).

I guess that's a step better than Corsair's "our software or else" but still not a good look. And it uses a molex power connector for the controller for whatever reason...

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
oh yeah, those are bent pins alright.

time to call the seller out.
Oh, I am 100% returning this. I'm just pissed off because I'd meant to have an assembled PC by the end of the weekend.

They shouldn't be able to blame me—I went back and looked at the photo in the listing, and if you zoom in and look really closely you can see the bent pins there too. (You could therefor argue it's my fault for not noticing before purchase, but there was nothing about this in the item description, and it's the sort of thing you kind of have to mention.)

Nice idea on recording the unpacking, I'll do that with the replacement motherboard I ordered off eBay. (Shame I have to go used for Z97 stuff.)

It is? How are people bending pins? You just drop in the cpu...
You don't have to record yourself during unboxing. That's crazy.

Ebay will side with the buyer in any case where the item arrives broken or not as described.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
This fan shit is driving me nuts... its constant up and downs... I havent even gamed yet. Nervous for that the way this thing is consistently shifting in temps/fan speed. I messed with the settings the few suggested and either I am doing it wrong or its just not helping... I get its a SFF and I should expect some of it, but it seems a bit extreme.

I just started up HWiNFO if that may help anyone assist me... being new to this I dont really know what I am looking at lol.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
This fan shit is driving me nuts... its constant up and downs... I havent even gamed yet. Nervous for that the way this thing is consistently shifting in temps/fan speed. I messed with the settings the few suggested and either I am doing it wrong or its just not helping... I get its a SFF and I should expect some of it, but it seems a bit extreme.

I just started up HWiNFO if that may help anyone assist me... being new to this I dont really know what I am looking at lol.
Check the cables. Due to some connectivity issue my nzxt 140mm was pumping max speeds and going quiet non stop until i did some cable management.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

FWIW I have a Gigabyte X570 Mobo and a 3700X with stock cooler and I got the exact same thing. Constant ramp up and ramp downs. Setting a really generous fan curve helped, where I basically looked at what temp the CPU would spike to during browsing or other non-gaming usage, and set it so it only turned up the fan after it goes higher than that. It still would occasionally ramp up when not gaming, but it was a damn sight better than before. If even that bothers you then you'd just have to use the "Power Saver" power plan in windows, which allows the CPU to properly downclock. You'd need to remember to swap it back to Ryzen Balanced when gaming though as otherwise it may down clock when playing some of the less demanding games too.

Not doing it yet, but I'm probably going to end up just getting a good custom air cooler which runs quiet all the time.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a free application I can use to clone a drive? Just trying to clone existing 240GB SSD to a larger 2TB one.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Check the cables. Due to some connectivity issue my nzxt 140mm was pumping max speeds and going quiet non stop until i did some cable management.

I will certainly do that. I want to adjust a few things for cable management anyways so I will reconnect all cables make sure all is good.

FWIW I have a Gigabyte X570 Mobo and a 3700X with stock cooler and I got the exact same thing. Constant ramp up and ramp downs. Setting a really generous fan curve helped, where I basically looked at what temp the CPU would spike to during browsing or other non-gaming usage, and set it so it only turned up the fan after it goes higher than that. It still would occasionally ramp up when not gaming, but it was a damn sight better than before. If even that bothers you then you'd just have to use the "Power Saver" power plan in windows, which allows the CPU to properly downclock. You'd need to remember to swap it back to Ryzen Balanced when gaming though as otherwise it may down clock when playing some of the less demanding games too.

Not doing it yet, but I'm probably going to end up just getting a good custom air cooler which runs quiet all the time.

Anyway you could get a screen shot of your curve (if you use the app center?) I tried setting it bios and app center, and apparently doesnt help. But yeah, I do a lot of browsing and its soooo annoying. Totally not against it during heavy gaming, especially with high settings and 4K. I am in a Louqe Ghost S1 and on my Ryzen 5 3600X I use a Noctua NH-L9a. I am actually going to take my side panels off and see to make sure it is infact my CPU fan, which I believe it is. But yeah if you got any screenshots of your fan curve that would be cool. I have to figure this out its driving me bananas lol

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone recommend a good gaming monitor. I want at least 1440p and am willing to spend around $300-$400

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Anyone built a NAS server recently? Any build recommendations?
I mean, you can build one out of a Raspberry Pi, 2 HDDs, and a USB hub plus a 3D printed case...

Yup, if you don't have any existing hardware you're looking to repurpose, first thing to do is think long and hard what's your use case (local/remote), how much storage and what redundancies you need, how many users and at what speed are going to use it and how much capacity do you need. After that you can decide what OS you're going to use, spec out the kit needed, realize its going to cost way too much and just buy a Synology that has the needed specs.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway you could get a screen shot of your curve (if you use the app center?) I tried setting it bios and app center, and apparently doesnt help. But yeah, I do a lot of browsing and its soooo annoying. Totally not against it during heavy gaming, especially with high settings and 4K. I am in a Louqe Ghost S1 and on my Ryzen 5 3600X I use a Noctua NH-L9a. I am actually going to take my side panels off and see to make sure it is infact my CPU fan, which I believe it is. But yeah if you got any screenshots of your fan curve that would be cool. I have to figure this out its driving me bananas lol
This might not be that useful to you since you've a different CPU and a custom cooler to go a long with it, but mine looks like this.

A3MPlUF.png

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have anywhere near such a "hot" curve but I had to set it really loose just because of how aggressive the boosting was for me when idling/browsing.

I often just turn on the "Power Saver" power plan (well, slightly customised as I've edited a few of the settings so certain devices don't switch off/doesn't sleep) if I know I'm not going to be gaming for a while and/or don't need the CPU power though which as mentioned before, stops the spiking entirely.

I'll probably get a new GPU later in the year, and when I do that I'll upgrade the CPU cooler at the same time just because it's a pretty annoying situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.