• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finished a build inside Corsairs Crystal 680x. Overall really happy with the box. A lot of space which makes cable management easy. Some nitpicking: Taking off the front glass pane is difficult. Also, wish the frame on the side window was white instead of black.

The bottom of the case now looks weirdly empty (compared to the top). Not sure if I should fill that with something. More fans?
oBRVuNR.jpg

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I can't get the hard drives out of my Corsair 540. Are there any tools i can stick in there to try to wedge it from the connector that won't damage the drive?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I just received a really great bonus from my job, and want to build a no-holds-barred system that will last a few years. I know some of these picks are overkill, but I'm okay with that. That being said, if anybody has an opinion or history with any of these components, or just some sage wisdom I'd love any feedback before I start ordering. Much appreciated!

• CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
  • Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 ATX Full Tower Cas
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6zYCZf

This build is going to be a strong performer no doubt, but if you need a monitor or speakers, save some money by easily switch to a lower watt PSU, change HDD brand, and switch to a comparable case for similar performance.

I know it's tempting to think I want the top 5% of everything but highest price won't necessarily translate into gaming performance you'll actually value.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
My new computer looks to be oddly light on USB ports. Anyone have experience using USB hub for stuff like Xbox wireless adapters? Are the external USB hubs good enough for that or should I get a PCIe hub?

I'm using a sabrent branded one and it works perfectly for my ps4 gold headset on PC, along with an HDD backup drive and charging a controller.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
so two more questions before I actually get to building my sff pc

1. I want to get a new graphics card when the 3000 series comes out but I'm not waiting to then. To impatient. id like to get something now and then sell it after I get a 3000 (if prices are the around the same). I was thinking of getting an EVGA 2080 Super black for $689. Would that hold good resale value and how hard would it be to sell?

2. I bought the Silverstone RVZ03 case on amazon but I'm considering a return for the Louqe Ghost S1. Anyone have this case? All the big you tubers seem to love it. And I love the form factor and simple color and design.

#1 is really hard to tell without knowing what the 3000 series will look like. IMO trying to resell a GPU next Fall will be more difficult than usual because you're competing against PS5 and XBSX where it sounds like we may get a downclocked 3700 cpu with a GPU in the 2060/5700 range, for $499 or less.

And if we get a 30-50% increase across the board for nvidia's 3000 series that may also cut into the reseller used market.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Okay, I just received a really great bonus from my job, and want to build a no-holds-barred system that will last a few years. I know some of these picks are overkill, but I'm okay with that. That being said, if anybody has an opinion or history with any of these components, or just some sage wisdom I'd love any feedback before I start ordering. Much appreciated!

• Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
9900 is overkill for gaming. Get 9700k

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Post a pic of the spot you are talking about.
www.techspot.com

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D & Carbide Series Air 540 Case Review

Inside The Air 540. Corsair's Carbide Air 540 employs an interesting dual-chamber design and is available in black, white and silver versions. The Obsidian 450D features a more traditional tower case...
This page gives a close up of how it looks with no drives installed. i will get a picture with drives installed when i open my PC this evening.
basically im thinking about holding in the little levers on the side, and then sticking in a thin knife or plastic piece between the case connectors and the drive to try and loosen it. i have been unable to get the drives out when attempting in the past.
the one i suspect is dying has just been unhooked from power on the other side since Windows refuses to boot with it in, but it works fine if i hot plug it once booted. i want to put it in an enclosure and copy a few things off, its 11 years old so it is definitely gonna die very soon, and I just bought a 6TB WD Blue to replace it

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
#1 is really hard to tell without knowing what the 3000 series will look like. IMO trying to resell a GPU next Fall will be more difficult than usual because you're competing against PS5 and XBSX where it sounds like we may get a downclocked 3700 cpu with a GPU in the 2060/5700 range, for $499 or less.

And if we get a 30-50% increase across the board for nvidia's 3000 series that may also cut into the reseller used market.

thanks for the response! I paid $689 for this 2080 super:

www.microcenter.com

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card - Micro Center

Get it now! The EVGA GeForce RTX 20-Series Graphics Cards are powered by the all-new NVIDIA Turing architecture togive you incredible new levels of gaming realism, speed, power efficiency, and immersion.

i have not opened it yet as I literally got it an hour ago. This is my first build so I cannot wait to fall as I'm much to impatient. So I guess my options are open this use and it try to sell it and upgrade, just keep it, or return it for something cheap until fall time. I could muster using a cheap card until fall if thsts the best option but If the 3000 series comes in higher then what I paid today I won't be too interested as thats a tough pill for me to swallow cost wise

for anyone else that sees my post I went ahead and got the ghost S1 as well. Shall be here tomorrow!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the response! I paid $689 for this 2080 super:

www.microcenter.com

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card - Micro Center

Get it now! The EVGA GeForce RTX 20-Series Graphics Cards are powered by the all-new NVIDIA Turing architecture togive you incredible new levels of gaming realism, speed, power efficiency, and immersion.

i have not opened it yet as I literally got it an hour ago. This is my first build so I cannot wait to fall as I'm much to impatient. So I guess my options are open this use and it try to sell it and upgrade, just keep it, or return it for something cheap until fall time. I could muster using a cheap card until fall if thsts the best option but If the 3000 series comes in higher then what I paid today I won't be too interested as thats a tough pill for me to swallow cost wise

for anyone else that sees my post I went ahead and got the ghost S1 as well. Shall be here tomorrow!

No problem dude, glad it was somewhat helpful. I think you're going to be very happy with that GPU for a solid 3 years. At worst you'll still be ahead of the rumoured consoles. At best you'll get to play everything NOW (not 8 months from now) at near max settings. In 2022 or 23 if it starts to show signs of a slowdown then sell then. Easy!

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The 2080 Super is powerful enough that unless you are really pushing for 4K ultra settings with 60+ fps you should probably just keep it and enjoy.

GravyCheeks

Oct 31, 2017
This build is going to be a strong performer no doubt, but if you need a monitor or speakers, save some money by easily switch to a lower watt PSU, change HDD brand, and switch to a comparable case for similar performance.

I know it's tempting to think I want the top 5% of everything but highest price won't necessarily translate into gaming performance you'll actually value.
9900 is overkill for gaming. Get 9700k

Thank you both! I'l keep this is mind and maybe step it down a hair. :)

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

I agree that you only need the 9700K but its a great build otherwise. Maybe the only other thing to look into would be if you need more case fans since the BQ prefers silence over cooling, but maybe the Pro 900 already comes with some fans? The only other direction to consider is whether you want AIO water cooling, like a CPU block or a hybrid video card. But the DRPro4 is a great CPU cooler, so really, can just keep that list as is.

Nah, I just assumed it would be a solid start. I do want this PC to last me for the long term.
I can get a 8GB GeForce RTX 2060 (Super Founders Edition) for an extra $100. That's not too bad a jump, it's doable. How's that?

I would definitely consider the 2060 Super if possible. Vulcano's Assistant suggests 1/3rd budget, and I not only agree but think it should start from there. That being said, the 1660 Super is a fine card for 1080p, but if you are stepping out into 1440p or above, you should aim for a better card.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
No problem dude, glad it was somewhat helpful. I think you're going to be very happy with that GPU for a solid 3 years. At worst you'll still be ahead of the rumoured consoles. At best you'll get to play everything NOW (not 8 months from now) at near max settings. In 2022 or 23 if it starts to show signs of a slowdown then sell then. Easy!

phew thats good to know, I for sure want 4K 60fps if possible doesn't have to be all ultra or pushing 120fps or craziness like that. As a console gamer too I for sure want it to hopefully be better then the new consoles coming in fall. So if that's the case thats good to know and comforting.

The 2080 Super is powerful enough that unless you are really pushing for 4K ultra settings with 60+ fps you should probably just keep it and enjoy.

awesome more positive reinforcement. 4K 60 is solid for me :)

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
phew thats good to know, I for sure want 4K 60fps if possible doesn't have to be all ultra or pushing 120fps or craziness like that. As a console gamer too I for sure want it to hopefully be better then the new consoles coming in fall. So if that's the case thats good to know and comforting.

awesome more positive reinforcement. 4K 60 is solid for me :)
I have the 2080 Super and it's doing excellent for 4K 60 fps gaming and if you have Gsync you will be more than fine.

When i installed my Samsung 970 evo i accidentally took out the heatsink and threw it away not knowing what it was before installing. Will i be okay if I just game and web browse?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
When i installed my Samsung 970 evo i accidentally took out the heatsink and threw it away not knowing what it was before installing. Will i be okay if I just game and web browse?
It'll be fine no matter what you do - those heatsinks are more for looks than they are function, really, or they'd come with the drive. And even if the 970 overheats, it'll just slow down momentarily - no damage will be done.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Did someone say no holds barred gaming?
03C0F3IUxZcUuLh4yfgRoy9-16.v_1571448689.jpg

And as more games start to use more and more threads Ryzen is only gonna make the smarter choice.

The 10900K in leaks only just managed to beat the 3900X.
The 9900K is on a deadend socket....a Ryzen 3000 will still get you atleast a Ryzen 4000 upgrade without needing to rebuild.

Plus once you hit 4K as I assume you are aiming for 4K gaming your processor becomes less and less of a problem and the GPU really does the heavy lifting.
If its super high framerates you are hunting for, then a 9700K is still a good choice and in some games actually beats the i9.

1000W power supply is super overkill if you are planning on SLI/NVLink the 2080Ti to ensure high framerate 4K gaming then the 1000W makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017
The build approaches. I'm going to doing a "how to build a PC" article. Because I'm barely qualified to do that and it's how I rationalized this upgrade. Oh, it's a project so it's okay.

I'm using a sabrent branded one and it works perfectly for my ps4 gold headset on PC, along with an HDD backup drive and charging a controller.
That's good to hear. That's without a separate power plug, right? I don't know why they skimped on the USB. My 2011 board is drowning in ports.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Upper Level build is about right for you, with a few caveats:

The 5700 XT is having a lot of driver issues for many people, so to be safe you might want to go for a 2060 or 2060 Super instead. The EVGA 2060 KO came out recently and is a good deal at $300. 2060 and 2060 Super are a bit weaker than the 5700 XT but I know multiple people having headaches with that card, and it's well documentated online that a lot of others are too.

For the motherboard I'd probably just suggested getting a x570 motherboard over a x470 at this point. It'll futureproof better with PCI 4.0 support and shouldn't be much more money. I'd suggest to Asus TUF x570 board. Up to you if the price increase is worth it though. The x470 boards would still work perfectly fine.

For the ram I bet you could find some 3200 MHz CL 16 RAM for near identical pricing as the 3000 MHz ram in the upper tier build. Poke around a bit. Ryzen processors like 3200 or 3600 MHz RAM so it's worth getting for a couple bucks extra imo.

sorry for the late response to this but I wanted to thank you for the reply and ask you about these changes I made to the build

Saved Part Lists

I switched out the mother board, ram and video card based on your recommendations. I also added some thermal paste but I was wondering if I should or if the parts that need it come with some?

honestly I think the part where I have to do the thermal paste makes me the most nervous as I've read you can mess it up kind of easily.

Oct 27, 2017

If I was going no holds barred, id look into water cooling but I'm not sure what status is of that stuff.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I switched out the mother board, ram and video card based on your recommendations. I also added some thermal paste but I was wondering if I should or if the parts that need it come with some?

honestly I think the part where I have to do the thermal paste makes me the most nervous as I've read you can mess it up kind of easily.

The Hyper 212 Black RGB comes with a very small tube of thermal paste, so you can just use that. Arctic Silver is better, but not strongly so; at the end of the day its the cooler doing the work. The CPU cooler is the only component in your build that needs to mess with paste.

If you really don't want to try out paste, you can buy a Carbonaut pad (38x38 for Ryzen, 32x32 for Intel) which is basically an ultra-thin graphite paper that does the same thing. It's reusable, too. Again, not as good as Arctic Silver and such, but you don't have to mess with paste. I'd say the elite overclockers all still use paste, but the pads are quite popular with youtubers who don't need to be going for a big OC (and for video reasons may want to install/uninstall several times without messing with paste).

So it really comes down to budget:
1. Cooler Master Paste: $free
2. Arctic Paste: $6-7
3. Graphite Pad: $15-18

As long as you're using non-conductive paste you'll be fine, but the pad totally makes sense for a lot of people.

If I was going no holds barred, id look into water cooling but I'm not sure what status is of that stuff.

1. The entry level usually to go AIO for the CPU Cooler. Lots of sizes and fan options. A 240mm set would probably be necessary for the 9700k. AIO are really solid these days but generally cost more and (very minor annoyance) spin up all the way when you startup the PC before quieting down. They also take a substantial amount of space (120, 2x120, or 3x120 for most radiators) but the upside is they can make your build really clean, and if they are in a reasonably sized case you won't hear the pump noise so much. The most popular AIO on the market continues to be the Corsair H100i, which has various RGB options and sizes.

2. The next step is usually buying a hybrid video card. There are some...uneven 3rd party solutions out there, but generally speaking you have to buy a card that has its own AIO already. (EVGA, for example, usually sells them with the "Hybrid" name, as the GPU Core has an AIO but the VRMs have a fan). Usually only the higher end cards have AIO variants, and again, you need a 120 or 120x2 fan spot in your case to handle it.

3. Beyond that is custom loop country - setting up your own radiator, pump, tubes, and liquid - and while Corsair and others are doing what they can to make it more accessible, the bottom line is that it's just going to be significantly expensive and have a learning curve to it. It's like building a PC all by itself.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Without some hyper crazy custom loop for everything....the Dark Rock Pro 4 will be within few degrees of a 280 ~ 360mm Radiator.
Youd need to get a really big radiator and custom loop to cleanly beat a Dark Rock Pro 4.
At full load overclocked we are talking a 4 degree difference between arguably the best AIO and a Dark Rock 4....for a gaming rig your CPU will never be hitting these levels of suffering not anytime soon....
temp_oc_aida64_fpu.png

I mean look at the Dark Rock 4.....it such an imposing piece of kit the fact thats its silent and works like a dream sold me on the idea of never going AIO immediately.
pd5mqrzp6ud31.jpg

The only upgrade from a Dark Rock really is jumping to a full custom loop for GPUs and CPU.....hell if you are X570 the chipset and VRMs too.
Now you are truly no holds barred.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
For light use the heatsinks aren't neccessary, but if you're doing anything heavy they can reduce throttling.

Anyway you can always get another heatsink if the drive does start thermal throttling.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
I think it might be finally time to upgrade my CPU. I currently have an i7 3770. However, with the next generation of consoles on the horizon, I'm starting to feel that this will be a bottleneck in my system. I have 1070 GPU, so currently I'm not looking to change that.

I'd like to go AMD, but I'm not sure what CPU to go for. Money is an issue, so I don't like to spend loads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it might be finally time to upgrade my CPU. I currently have an i7 3770. However, with the next generation of consoles on the horizon, I'm starting to feel that this will be a bottleneck in my system. I have 1070 GPU, so currently I'm not looking to change that.

I'd like to go AMD, but I'm not sure what CPU to go for. Money is an issue, so I don't like to spend loads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ryzen 3700X would be my personal pick.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017

The goto recomendation at the mo is a R5 3600 with a good b450 motherboard and 3600cl16 ram.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
The goto recomendation at the mo is a R5 3600 with a good b450 motherboard and 3600cl16 ram.

I back this, 3600 is great value for mid range. Performance for me has been fantastic.

At this point in time for gaming the extra cores on the 3700x probably arent worth the extra cost. I haven't particularly seen anything pushing the 12 threads on the 3600.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The build approaches. I'm going to doing a "how to build a PC" article. Because I'm barely qualified to do that and it's how I rationalized this upgrade. Oh, it's a project so it's okay.

That's good to hear. That's without a separate power plug, right? I don't know why they skimped on the USB. My 2011 board is drowning in ports.

Yeah no need for separate power. Just have it plugged into an existing usb 3.0 port and it powers up to 4 devices with no issues.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
sorry for the late response to this but I wanted to thank you for the reply and ask you about these changes I made to the build

Saved Part Lists

The Thermal paste is scary for everyone at first, bit in reality it's pretty hard to mess it up. You put a pea sized amount in the middle of CPU and then apply the cooler With even pressure. That's about it! Some paste should come with your cooler so no need to buy any.

Otherwise looks good. I would still recommend the TUF x570 board over that MSI board, only $5 more on amazon. But the MSI board should be fine too.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
So my prebuilt hp died an unceremonious death yesterday. I was using it, got up to do something and it was completely dead when I came back. I must have static shocked the power button when I got up. The PSU is fine, but the motherboard seems to be toast. I cannot get any sign of life from the power button or shorting it on the board itself. Instead of buying a new board and using my old cpu (intel skylake i5-6400) I figured I'd upgrade that as well. I can scavenge a gpu (RX 480), ram (16 GB DDR 3000), SSD/HDD, all accessories.

I probably just need a new PSU (old one probably doesn't have enough juice), motherboard, case, and cpu. I don't do tons of modern gaming, but I'd like something that would handle the upcoming gen to be within reason of the new consoles on the cpu side. Ryzen seems to be a nice cost effective choice these days. Case wise, the more boring looking the better. Cost isn't a huge factor, but I'd like to try to keep all the new components around $400 for everything, but I'm flexible.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So my prebuilt hp died an unceremonious death yesterday. I was using it, got up to do something and it was completely dead when I came back. I must have static shocked the power button when I got up. The PSU is fine, but the motherboard seems to be toast. I cannot get any sign of life from the power button or shorting it on the board itself. Instead of buying a new board and using my old cpu (intel skylake i5-6400) I figured I'd upgrade that as well. I can scavenge a gpu (RX 480), ram (16 GB DDR 3000), SSD/HDD, all accessories.

I probably just need a new PSU (old one probably doesn't have enough juice), motherboard, case, and cpu. I don't do tons of modern gaming, but I'd like something that would handle the upcoming gen to be within reason of the new consoles on the cpu side. Ryzen seems to be a nice cost effective choice these days. Case wise, the more boring looking the better. Cost isn't a huge factor, but I'd like to try to keep all the new components around $400 for everything, but I'm flexible.

Did you try to de-static the pc? It's common issue. Take power cord out, hold power button. Then take each ram stik out hold power button again. Leave ram out hook power back up try to boot it. It should beep. If it does that's good.

Now power off. Again unhook power hold power button. Insert one stick of ram, rehook power and try to boot.

Let me know after that. Unless you already did this.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

The R5 3600 and a decent B450 motherboard should easily carry you through most if not all of nextgen. Alot of people think because Nextgen consoles will have 8/16 CPUs that the baseline for PC will also be 8/16 but thats highly unlikely...stresing out 12 threads aint gonna happen anytime soon as long as you arent aiming for 144fps.
And with an R5 you still have a decent upgrade path that will be cost effective going to an R7 or R9 in like 5 or so years.

The big upgrade down the line will be your GPU as games start to really throw effects at us and RT becomes more common.
I dont think you really need to worry about that right now, a GTX 1070 should be enough for a while with a few settings toned down....once you are forced to play with everything on low and are still having trouble maintaining decent framerates I think you can decide to upgrade.

On Topic
My Keyboard and mouse are frikken fried at this point and im thinking of getting back into more competitive FPS gaming.
Any good recommendations on NOT too pricey Keyboard and Mouse combos....I also use my PC for Modeling and Rendering if that changes anything.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
On Topic
My Keyboard and mouse are frikken fried at this point and im thinking of getting back into more competitive FPS gaming.
Any good recommendations on NOT too pricey Keyboard and Mouse combos....I also use my PC for Modeling and Rendering if that changes anything.

Would totally go wireless for the mouse, it is something I had never bothered with but recently went for a Logitech G305 & love it.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try to de-static the pc? It's common issue. Take power cord out, hold power button. Then take each ram stik out hold power button again. Leave ram out hook power back up try to boot it. It should beep. If it does that's good.

Now power off. Again unhook power hold power button. Insert one stick of ram, rehook power and try to boot.

Let me know after that. Unless you already did this.
Yeah it seems like it's dead dead. I even disconnected everything other than the two power supply connections and there's no sign of life at all.

Plum

May 31, 2018
FUCK

So I built my PC, it was all going perfectly.

Until I installed my GPU drivers.

Now the display keeps cutting off and coming back on in random intervals.

What the fuck do I do? Is the GPU already fucked?

EDIT: OK, seems like a complete reboot solved the issue, but I don't know for how long.

As you can tell I panic easily!

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK

So I built my PC, it was all going perfectly.

Until I installed my GPU drivers.

Now the display keeps cutting off and coming back on in random intervals.

What the fuck do I do? Is the GPU already fucked?

EDIT: OK, seems like a complete reboot solved the issue, but I don't know for how long.

As you can tell I panic easily!
it'll usually do that while it's installing the drivers and maybe a minute or so afterwards.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
www.techspot.com

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D & Carbide Series Air 540 Case Review

Inside The Air 540. Corsair's Carbide Air 540 employs an interesting dual-chamber design and is available in black, white and silver versions. The Obsidian 450D features a more traditional tower case...
This page gives a close up of how it looks with no drives installed. i will get a picture with drives installed when i open my PC this evening.
basically im thinking about holding in the little levers on the side, and then sticking in a thin knife or plastic piece between the case connectors and the drive to try and loosen it. i have been unable to get the drives out when attempting in the past.
the one i suspect is dying has just been unhooked from power on the other side since Windows refuses to boot with it in, but it works fine if i hot plug it once booted. i want to put it in an enclosure and copy a few things off, its 11 years old so it is definitely gonna die very soon, and I just bought a 6TB WD Blue to replace it
Update that I got it out and it works in the enclosure. Pushed it out from the other side of the case with a screw driver lol

Oct 25, 2017
How hot is too hot for a gpu? My Msi armor 580 is so fucking loud when the fans kick up. It makes me not wanna play on my PC. I was thinking of changing the fan curve to make it less aggressive but don't wanna cause any issues. I have a 3600x with the (whiny) stock cpu fan, a couple stock case fans inside a meshify c.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Fuck sake it's happening again!

The PC worked fine for a bit then after I started a game it suddenly just started turning the display off and on again.

WWWHHHHHYYYY????

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
How hot is too hot for a gpu? My Msi armor 580 is so fucking loud when the fans kick up. It makes me not wanna play on my PC. I was thinking of changing the fan curve to make it less aggressive but don't wanna cause any issues. I have a 3600x with the (whiny) stock cpu fan, a couple stock case fans inside a meshify c.
I don't know what kind of temps you're seeing, but I'd say (for me) 85C is about the top end, where I'd want the fans at 100%. But yeah, definitely play with the fan curve so that it doesn't do much until maybe 70C. Sort of depends on what RPM is noticeable for you, and the temperature you're seeing right now. I'd just fiddle around with it till you're happy.

Plum

May 31, 2018
OK, so the PC was fine playing a game for a few moments then as soon as I came off the game it's back to the display cutting out intermittently.

FUCK

Plum

May 31, 2018
have you tried different cables or outputs from the gpu? or another monitor/tv?

Thanks. I'll try a different HDMI cable but I really don't know whether that'll help or not.

I can't try another output because my TV doesn't have Display Port and I can't try another monitor because I don't have one.

However I can't see how the wire would be the issue because before I had installed the display driver everything was perfectly fine. It was only after when the issues started. The GPU isn't overheating either (it's 41c which ain't great but it's not exactly too much).

I just don't know. Sometimes it feels like I'm cursed. I've literally never had a good experience with this pc building shit and, frankly, anyone who says "it's always fine," is lying.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

What temp is it getting to? Seems about 90 degrees for that card is a high as you should go but I would recommend keeping it 80 or below.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I'm currently playing a game perfectly fine. It's not a very demanding game but I'm running it at a good 220fps and there's been no cut-outs. Yet I'm sure that when I quit the game the cut-outs will begin again.

Fuck PCs

Seriously fuck 'em. Nothing but stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.