• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
it is a decent upgrade I think it should last thru next gen combined with the next gen of GPUs. Part choice looks good to me too. Maybe 3600 Mhz CL16 RAM, if isn't much more expensive since reviewers insist it is the Ryzen Ram sweet spot.
I'm not a fan of the case. Airflow is pretty restricted on it.
Thanks, I went for:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8C/16T, 36MB Cache, 4.4 GHz Max Boost)
Corsair Carbide Series 275R Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case - Black
Corsair CP-9020178-UK RM650x 80 PLUS Gold 650 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - Black
Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 (SB-RKTQ-1TB)
CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 Desktop memory - Black
Aorus X570 AORUS ELITE (Socket AM4/X570/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX)

Is it worth upgrading the RX580 8GB?

Oct 29, 2017
So I have to build a PC for vidoe editing/rendering at work. I have a free (but reasonable) budget, my only direction was build the best PC for editing.

So I'm kinda lost, looking at the options available in my country I'm leaning towards Ryzen 9 3900X (the other option is i9 9900k).

For the GPU should I go RTX 2800? Sli? AMD?
Depends on software, but for video editing you currently don't get a lot out of the very top of GPUs compared to mid-range, I recommend Nvidia because CUDA acceleration is widespread across, for instance, the Adobe suite, 3D software, and DaVinci Resolve, but a 2080 vs 2070 isn't making much of a difference, and SLi isn't giving you anything. Even if Resolve can use multiple GPUs, for the price that doesn't translate to the performance boost you get compared to going for a faster a CPU.

By rendering do you mean rendering videos or 3D rendering?

Multi-gpu configs are something that makes sense only for 3D rendering and machine learning, but not video editing. Rather than SLi, If you are going to have premium configurations, I would aim towards the CPU and SSDs. RAID NVMes and whatnot. Maybe even going for a Threadripper 3960X.

As for 3900x vs 9900K, the AMD 12-core would probably be ahead in most straight video editing software, but because the 9900K is able to be faster per core, some software that are optimized that way like After Effects and Photoshop would be faster on the Intel 8-core. The PC store Puget Systems (like the link above) publish a lot of tests that compared CPUs and GPUs across software, you can take a look to see if the use your programs of choice. But in broad terms, 3900X for a diverse use machine, 9900K for a After Effects machine.

That said I think the sweet spot is the 3950X, more cores but actually faster, so it is kind of the king of the charts at Puget System recent articles.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thanks, I went for:
Corsair CP-9020178-UK RM650x 80 PLUS Gold 650 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - Black
CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 Desktop memory - Black

IMO hold out until we see what Nvidia is bringing out... unless performance is not good enough for your needs right now.

TehPwnerer

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks, I went for:

Looks like the Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 (SB-RKTQ-1TB) is a PCIE Gen 3 drive so you won't be able to take advantage of Gen 4 speeds with your X570 board. Might want to get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe.

TehPwnerer

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, thanks I'll cancel that - any tips what I should go for?
www.newegg.com

Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB) - Newegg.com

Buy Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB) with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Well here is the PCIe 4.0 version of yours :-) The least expensive of the lot, though you're obviously going to pay more for Gen 4. Read/Write speeds are a whopping 1.5GBps faster though.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like the Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 (SB-RKTQ-1TB) is a PCIE Gen 3 drive so you won't be able to take advantage of Gen 4 speeds with your X570 board. Might want to get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe.
I thought there wasn't any good reason yet to use PCIe gen 4 NVMes.
Ah, thanks I'll cancel that - any tips what I should go for?
I don't think you need to worry about gen 4 NVMes. The Sabrent Rocket Q is a QLC budget drive, and it is fine. If you chose that drive because of the price, then you are making a jump in price to get gen 4.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
www.newegg.com

Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB) - Newegg.com

Buy Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB) with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Well here is the PCIe 4.0 version of yours :-) The least expensive of the lot, though you're obviously going to pay more for Gen 4. Read/Write speeds are a whopping 1.5GBps faster though.
Hmm, nearly double the price or half the storage.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on software, but for video editing you currently don't get a lot out of the very top of GPUs compared to mid-range, I recommend Nvidia because CUDA acceleration is widespread across, for instance, the Adobe suite, 3D software, and DaVinci Resolve, but a 2080 vs 2070 isn't making much of a difference, and SLi isn't giving you anything. Even if Resolve can use multiple GPUs, for the price that doesn't translate to the performance boost you get compared to going for a faster a CPU.

By rendering do you mean rendering videos or 3D rendering?

Multi-gpu configs are something that makes sense only for 3D rendering and machine learning, but not video editing. Rather than SLi, If you are going to have premium configurations, I would aim towards the CPU and SSDs. RAID NVMes and whatnot. Maybe even going for a Threadripper 3960X.

As for 3900x vs 9900K, the AMD 12-core would probably be ahead in most straight video editing software, but because the 9900K is able to be faster per core, some software that are optimized that way like After Effects and Photoshop would be faster on the Intel 8-core. The PC store Puget Systems (like the link above) publish a lot of tests that compared CPUs and GPUs across software, you can take a look to see if the use your programs of choice. But in broad terms, 3900X for a diverse use machine, 9900K for a After Effects machine.

That said I think the sweet spot is the 3950X, more cores but actually faster, so it is kind of the king of the charts at Puget System recent articles.

The Threadripper is way too expensive, even if I have was given a free budget.

I'm using mostly Adobe, especially Premiere and After Effects. And I mean rendering videos, with filters and effects.

So I would be ok with a 3900x, RTX 2070 and 32gb DDR4?

At home I'm using an i7 7700, GTX 1070ti and 32gb ddr and it's ok. I don't experience much hiccups when editing.
But at work is a 2019 iMac and that thing takes way too long to render a video. It's not worth the US$4k price tag.

TehPwnerer

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, nearly double the price or half the storage.
Yeah. Just something to consider that's all given the X570 has the PCIe 4.0 capability. Again the delta between Gen 3 and Gen 4 is 1.5 GBps Sequential Read/Write speeds. It's up to you. If you're not concerned with PCIe 4.0 you could also save money by going with an X470 motherboard. But then you limit your upgrade capability as well when nVidia starts releasing PCIe 4.0 GPUs and the already PCIe 4.0 capable AMD GPUs.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I just went for the one I'd ordered. It'll still be a significant bump over what I'm using now (an old sata SSD/1tb HDD).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Just something to consider that's all given the X570 has the PCIe 4.0 capability. Again the delta between Gen 3 and Gen 4 is 1.5 GBps Sequential Read/Write speeds. It's up to you. If you're not concerned with PCIe 4.0 you could also save money by going with an X470 motherboard. But then you limit your upgrade capability as well when nVidia starts releasing PCIe 4.0 GPUs and the already PCIe 4.0 capable AMD GPUs.

The real world difference between PCIE 3 and 4 drives is irrelevant. Unless you have some kind of professional workload of pumping 10s of GBs, Samsung beats most PCIE 4 drives in everyday performance. Haven't seen any reviewer recommending PCIE 4 drives.

And the performance difference between 970 and Rocket/SX8200 Pro is again, not worth the money. Although, Samsungs have dropped in price so it is no longer the massive gap between Rocket and 970.

Oct 29, 2017
The Threadripper is way too expensive, even if I have was given a free budget.

I'm using mostly Adobe, especially Premiere and After Effects. And I mean rendering videos, with filters and effects.

So I would be ok with a 3900x, RTX 2070 and 32gb DDR4?

At home I'm using an i7 7700, GTX 1070ti and 32gb ddr and it's ok. I don't experience much hiccups when editing.
But at work is a 2019 iMac and that thing takes way too long to render a video. It's not worth the US$4k price tag.
Yes I think a 3900x and a 2070 would be a good platform. For lower price a 2060 Super may be preferable , it also has 8GB of DRAM and performs very close on Premiere. I would aim for 64 GB, even if not out of the gate, I would recommend against getting 32 in 8GBx4 DIMMs, but getting 16GBx2 instead so you have that door open without having to replace all.

I think one important part is planning all the ports you are going to need. Choosing the right mobo, like for instance there's only two ( maybe three) AM4 mobos that support thunderbolt, if that's a thing you use at work with the iMac. Or if you have 5-10 gig LAN at work but then get a gaming Mobo with 1Gb/s Ethernet ports

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I think a 3900x and a 2070 would be a good platform. For lower price a 2060 Super may be preferable , it also has 8GB of DRAM and performs very close on Premiere. I would aim for 64 GB, even if not out of the gate, I would recommend against getting 32 in 8GBx4 DIMMs, but getting 16GBx2 instead so you have that door open without having to replace all.

I think one important part is planning all the ports you are going to need. Choosing the right mobo, like for instance there's only two ( maybe three) AM4 mobos that support thunderbolt, if that's a thing you use at work with the iMac. Or if you have 5-10 gig LAN at work but then get a gaming Mobo with 1Gb/s Ethernet ports
I'm surprised you could find the budget for a 2080 / SLI but not a Ryzen 3950x, which is probably well worth the extra for this application.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
My midrange PC of three years is getting long in the tooth thanks to my i5-4460, and I've got a real job now, so I was thinking of making a major upgrade towards the very high end. That said, since it sounds like GPUs are in for a major revamp six months down the line and my needs aren't that pressing, I was thinking of getting the components of a 3950x machine, sans the GPU, which will have to do with my current 970 GTX until the next generation of cards come out.

I've been trying to use PC Part Picker to point me in the right direction, but I'm having a tough time narrowing things down in less essential areas where there's a lot of relatively interchangeable choice, like RAM, case, and storage. The Build Guides section feels like the only spot where parts are picked from a range of options.

I guess I only have two real questions:

- Am I overthinking things on that front and should I just copy the choices in a build guide, or is there a better way?
- If I'm not that interested in overclocking (I have no experience with it and it makes me vaguely nervous), is there much point in getting a specialized CPU cooler?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Both of these builds are around the same price. I'm only using for gaming. Which is the better deal?
  • NZXT H710I (WHITE) CASE
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) MOBO
  • INTEL CORE I9-9900K 8-CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU
  • NZXT KRAKEN X72 CPU COOLER
  • MSI RTX™ 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS OC GPU
  • TEAM T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 4000MHZ (2) RAM
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1.0 TB SSD
  • NZXT E850 GOLD DIGITAL PSU PSU
  • NZXT AER F 140 FAN (GREY) 3 FAN
  • NZXT AER RGB 2 120MM FAN (RGB) FAN
  • NZXT USB EXPANSION EXTRA

Or

NZXT H710 (BLACK)
CPU:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8GHz
GPU:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER - EVGA XC GAMING
RAM:G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz
SSD:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1.0 TB
PSU:
Seasonic Focus GX 850W Gold
MOBO:
ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
COOL:
NZXT Kraken X72
I have the Intel one ordered, but I could return it for the AMD build. Which one should I go for gaming only? 1440p/4K gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
Idk whats going on with it, but I would constantly got random BSODs screens to the point where Windows woundnt boot up properly anymore. I reinstalled Windows 10, but I still get BSODs. Is my Ram borked?

I think you might want to attempt troubleshooting.

• Pull all but one RAM sticks, try with one, then swap to another in a different slot. If the problem persists, then it isn't related to RAM.
• Try different storage/different port. If it still BSOD, then it isn't storage related.
• Remove GPU, drop the old one. Try a different lane. See if it still crashes. Boom, GPU troubleshooting done.
• If you have the old PSU, try it.

That leaves Mobo and CPU. This bit is tricky because typically you don't have spares to swap-test. You can drive to some PC shop and ask them to "rent" or just buy the cheapest compatible Ryzen. If the problem persists with a temp-CPU, then it is a motherboard.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised you could find the budget for a 2080 / SLI but not a Ryzen 3950x, which is probably well worth the extra for this application.
I got the idea that the 3950X may not be available in their country. That would be my recommendation for a Premiere/After Effects machine if the money allows.

I didn't said I had the budget for a 2080 sli. If it was extremely powerful/useful for Premiere and After, maybe. And I would have to defend my case to my boss. lol
I asked about sli because honestly I don't have any clue about how it performs, if it's worth it.

The 3950X is available here for US$1100, but the Ryzen 9 3900X is US$600. This plus US$500 for a 2070, US$200 for 2x16gb, motherboard, power, etc... It's a huge budget. So the CPU price is something to consider.

I'm still having to defend it against my boss that is an Apple fanboy and think that nothing tops our iMac's. Only now he's seeing that we are loosing way too much time rendering. He texted me an hour ago and said that I have to look for a PC that outperforms our current iMac's (i5 8600, 575X 4gb, 8gb DDR4), so... yeah...

Oct 29, 2017
My midrange PC of three years is getting long in the tooth thanks to my i5-4460, and I've got a real job now, so I was thinking of making a major upgrade towards the very high end. That said, since it sounds like GPUs are in for a major revamp six months down the line and my needs aren't that pressing, I was thinking of getting the components of a 3950x machine, sans the GPU, which will have to do with my current 970 GTX until the next generation of cards come out.

I've been trying to use PC Part Picker to point me in the right direction, but I'm having a tough time narrowing things down in less essential areas where there's a lot of relatively interchangeable choice, like RAM, case, and storage. The Build Guides section feels like the only spot where parts are picked from a range of options.

I guess I only have two real questions:

- Am I overthinking things on that front and should I just copy the choices in a build guide, or is there a better way?
- If I'm not that interested in overclocking (I have no experience with it and it makes me vaguely nervous), is there much point in getting a specialized CPU cooler?
The only thing I advise against from completely following a guide is that if your are going for "the very high end", that high end means different things to different people, so just make sure you are maximizing the things you care about. Some guides may go overboard with premium SSDs and only have moderately mid tier mobos, or vice versa, or very expensive RGB AIO cooler that you may not care for.

- Motherboard: The 3950X requires a decent mobo, but if you don't care about overcloking you don't need a very high end one (and those $700 boards nobody needs). However, you may like some of the other features that come on high end boards, and these change from model to model. So what I can say is that at the very high end, look for the motherboard that has the extra features you like.( If you are looking for something without any extra stuff I suggest the Asus Prime X570-P)
- RAM: Aim for 3600 Mhz and CL16. Look for the best deal, brands don't make a big difference but check the QVL list for RAM on the web page for your motherboard of choice if you think you are picking an obscure brand that may not be recognized to run at full speed.
- Storage: Get a 1TB Nvme as boot drive. QLC are a bit slower and cheaper (budget nvme's like the intel 660p, Crucial P1), but more than good enough for gaming; TLC are more expensive (most of the rest of NVMes) and the extra performance is not noticeable in gaming.
- Case: Choose something that you like to look at, but if it looks suspiciously air tight check for reviews or ask here if you are worried about airflow or temperatures.

The 3950X doesn't come with a cooler because AMD recommends something bigger that their available stock models. Even if you are not manually overclocking, Ryzen 3000 CPUs have boost technology that benefits from better temperatures, so a bigger cooler never hurts, but there is no point on going overkill with a $170 AIO with a 360mm radiator, one of the well reviewed $90 Air coolers is probably all you need.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I'm looking to sell my gaming rig, and have no idea what a fair price would be. It all works pretty perfectly, only thing is someone more capable with wiring could probably stand to have another go at it, I kinda just stuck em all in there. Here are the specs;

Windows 10
GTX 1080
i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
16GB RAM
250GB SSD (boot drive)
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
650W PSU

Any advice on a fair price?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I'm looking to sell my gaming rig, and have no idea what a fair price would be. It all works pretty perfectly, only thing is someone more capable with wiring could probably stand to have another go at it, I kinda just stuck em all in there. Here are the specs;

Windows 10
GTX 1080
i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
16GB RAM
250GB SSD (boot drive)
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
650W PSU

600-700 seems like a fair price.

$800 if it has rgb

Oct 27, 2017

Windows 10
GTX 1080
i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
16GB RAM
250GB SSD (boot drive)
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
650W PSU

500 if you want it to go fast. But 600-700 would probably be a fair price.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't said I had the budget for a 2080 sli. If it was extremely powerful/useful for Premiere and After, maybe. And I would have to defend my case to my boss. lol
I asked about sli because honestly I don't have any clue about how it performs, if it's worth it.

The 3950X is available here for US$1100, but the Ryzen 9 3900X is US$600. This plus US$500 for a 2070, US$200 for 2x16gb, motherboard, power, etc... It's a huge budget. So the CPU price is something to consider.

I'm still having to defend it against my boss that is an Apple fanboy and think that nothing tops our iMac's. Only now he's seeing that we are loosing way too much time rendering. He texted me an hour ago and said that I have to look for a PC that outperforms our current iMac's (i5 8600, 575X 4gb, 8gb DDR4), so... yeah...
That is quite a steep jump for the 3950x indeed, and I would agree it's probably a bit too much. US prices are 499 -> 750, a much more reasonable jump imo. It is possible the prices are jacked up due to low availability and this might correct soon? But yeah at this pricejump the 3900 would be sensible instead, sure.

Oct 29, 2017

By the way, I edited a previous post that you may have missed. It seems like you may be better going for a 2060 Super than the 2070.
www.pugetsystems.com

Premiere Pro GPU Roundup: NVIDIA SUPER vs AMD RX 5700 XT

While the CPU still does most of the heavy lifting, depending on how many accelerated effects you use, having a more powerful GPU can sometimes make a significant impact on performance. With both AMD and NVIDIA recently launching a number of new video cards, it is time to once again see how...
www.pugetsystems.com

After Effects GPU Roundup: NVIDIA SUPER vs AMD RX 5700 XT

Outside of very specific situations, After Effects is usually going to be limited more by your CPU than your GPU. However, the more GPU accelerated effects you use, the larger the benefit to using a faster video card. Both AMD and NVIDIA have recently released a number of new video cards, but is...

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I edited a previous post that you may have missed. It seems like you may be better going for a 2060 Super than the 2070.
www.pugetsystems.com

Premiere Pro GPU Roundup: NVIDIA SUPER vs AMD RX 5700 XT

While the CPU still does most of the heavy lifting, depending on how many accelerated effects you use, having a more powerful GPU can sometimes make a significant impact on performance. With both AMD and NVIDIA recently launching a number of new video cards, it is time to once again see how...
www.pugetsystems.com

After Effects GPU Roundup: NVIDIA SUPER vs AMD RX 5700 XT

Outside of very specific situations, After Effects is usually going to be limited more by your CPU than your GPU. However, the more GPU accelerated effects you use, the larger the benefit to using a faster video card. Both AMD and NVIDIA have recently released a number of new video cards, but is...
I wonder if Premiere Pro benefits huge like Blender does from the 2060KO and it's recycled 2080 die?

Also Puget Systems is almost certainly the best we have here, but I hate that they equip their Ryzen/TR tests with only 2933 RAM :(

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
So I narrowed it down to either ordering an Asus PG279Q to go with my Acer Predator XB271HU or just get the Alienware AW3418DW and run that as my only gaming monitor. I have a RTX 2080 for reference.

What do y'all think? I honestly can't decide between all the pros and cons of having two monitors vs one ultrawide monitor.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I currently have a PowerColor Red Dragon RX VEGA 56 8 GB and I am fed up with the drivers. Can you guys recommend me
1. a Nvidia card that has around the same power as a Vega 56/64
2. one that would be a upgrade to my current one?

I play 1440p@60. Good price-performance ratio would be preferred of course. Thanks.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
I currently have a PowerColor Red Dragon RX VEGA 56 8 GB and I am fed up with the drivers. Can you guys recommend me

I play 1440p@60. Good price-performance ratio would be preferred of course. Thanks.

What sort of games do you want to play? I've been considering a 2070 Super, because my 1070 doesn't cut it at 1440p/60 in the more graphically demanding and open world games of late. I've had to play Odyssey, Plague Tale and Fallen Order at 1080p because the frame drops at 1440p aren't worth the extra sharpness, even after fiddling to lower the settings.

The 2070 Super seems a good price for performance option at the moment, if you can stomach the likely-hood of new cards on the horizon. Although if you're playing less graphically intensity games then maybe a 2060 Super?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

The equivalent on the Nvidia side in terms of performance would be the 1660ti. Upgrades would be the 2060, 2060 super or 2070 in ascending cost.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

The 2060 Super or 2070 sounds like it would be up your alley and is an upgrade over the Vega 56. But new cards are on the horizon if you can wait.

Naru

May 11, 2019
The 2060 Super or 2070 sounds like it would be up your alley and is an upgrade over the Vega 56. But new cards are on the horizon if you can wait.
I could wait a bit but how far is that horizon away though? I think I could even afford the 2070 Super since I'll probably get around 200 bucks back for my Vega and the 2070 Supers are around 500 where I live. 300 bucks is ok if it's a worthwhile upgrade. 2070 go for around 430 bucks here.

I play everything. Modern Warfare, Battlefield, Control, FFXIV, new games as well. My PC is my only gaming machine besides the Switch which I haven't used in 6 months (shame I know).

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I could wait a bit but how far is that horizon away though? I think I could even afford the 2070 Super since I'll probably get around 200 bucks back for my Vega and the 2070 Supers are around 500 where I live. 300 bucks is ok if it's a worthwhile upgrade. 2070 go for around 430 bucks here.

I play everything. Modern Warfare, Battlefield, Control, FFXIV, new games as well. My PC is my only gaming machine besides the Switch which I haven't used in 6 months (shame I know).
Rumors suggest a March-Summer launch and it's going to be a big upgrade going 7nnm, but you could always just sell your card when the new ones come out. The 2070 Super is a great card for 1440p gaming.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

On a 2070 Super, I played RDR2 at 1440/60, Sekiro at 1440/60, Jedi at 4k/60, Doom at 1440/uncapped and MGSV at 4K/60, and didn't have to fiddle too much with settings. It just works.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
So I narrowed it down to either ordering an Asus PG279Q to go with my Acer Predator XB271HU or just get the Alienware AW3418DW and run that as my only gaming monitor. I have a RTX 2080 for reference.

What do y'all think? I honestly can't decide between all the pros and cons of having two monitors vs one ultrawide monitor.
I've found more utility in two actual monitors.

I've had the Alienware and the Acer variant ultra wide and went back to two 25" 1080 240hz screens.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
So I started to actually buy the components for not only my first build but my first ITX build! this is what I got from micro center so far:

Power Supply: EVGA 650GM 80+G FM SFX PSU - $134.99***
Memory: G. SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 RIPJAWS $138.99
Storage: IPSG 256GB I PREMIUM NVME SSD $44.99
Storage: IPSG 1TB I PREMIUM NVME SSD $134.99
CPU: AMD AMD RYZEN 5 3600X WRAITHS $179.99
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING $114.99
GPU: See text below
Cooler: See text below
Case: See text below

TOTAL COST OF PURCHASED PARTS: $745.11

so with micro center having the sale on the Ryzen CPUs I decided to bite. They also were giving $20 off with a combo with a mother board dropping the B450 from $134 to 114. I previously had different storage brand and sizes but the guy who helped me suggested a small 256 for the boot drive with really good read and wrote speeds. this mobo has 2 NVME slots so i picked a 1TB however I'm wondering if I should swap it for a 2TB. I also have a 3TB sata drive and a 500GB 850 Evo SSD I could add if need be.

*** So all these prices were either the same or cheaper with the deals then amazon which is why I went with Micro center. However the PSU listed above was $108.98 on Amazon and he said he would price match. He fudged the price and actually sold me it for only $88.98 which is awesome. On top of that it comes with a $20 mail in rebate dropping the price to $68 for a 650GM gold fully modular PSU lmao!

I was so close to biting on buying the EVGA RTX 2080 Super Black on sale for $689 but I am still undecided if I want to wait for the 3000 series or not.

I also will need a cooler and being a SSF build I'm thinking of going with the Noctua NH-L9a after most of the build videos I've watched.

Lastly for the case I cannot decide which I want to get. Right now I'm considering several options. They are:
  • fractal node 202
  • Silverstone Rvz03
  • Dan Case A4-SFX v4.1
  • Phanteks evolv x
  • Geeek A50 Mini
  • Nouvolo Steck
  • LOUQE Ghost S1
  • Modivio xCase L
this will mostly be tucked away so I want something console like which eliminates a few of the above if I go that route so I am kind of leaning towards the RV03 at the moment. Hopefully I've made some good choices :)

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
so with micro center having the sale on the Ryzen CPUs I decided to bite. They also were giving $20 off with a combo with a mother board dropping the B450 from $134 to 114. I previously had different storage brand and sizes but the guy who helped me suggested a small 256 for the boot drive with really good read and wrote speeds. this mobo has 2 NVME slots so i picked a 1TB however I'm wondering if I should swap it for a 2TB. I also have a 3TB sata drive and a 500GB 850 Evo SSD I could add if need be.

Depends on your needs, really. The downside of 2TB is its usually slightly less or slightly more than buying 2 1TB drives...therefore it's very expensive. Sure, it gives you a 2TB to use in builds down the road, but you can arguably also just go smaller and wait for bigger/faster drives down the road (PCIe 4.0 second gen chipsets are coming this year, for instance). And since you have the 3.5 and 2.5" drives, it's basically a luxury decision.

All of that being said, if you're going ITX, you definitely need to decide *now* on if you want 2 NVMe or not, because that second slot is on the back of the motherboard, and it's going to be a nightmare to access it after you've built the system.

Personally, I would be trying to save as much money as possible towards your graphics card. These days its ultimately whats determining your FPS, to the point that it can be half the cost of the PC. But it depends what kind of gaming you want to do on the SFF build.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Wow i didnt realize they make 32gb ddr4 modules now.

now i can have 64gb ram in my itx build.
they make 128GB ddr4 modules which means you can have up to 2TB RAM.

sure it's expensive as hell, for servers, and ridiculous for most people but you can buy it. i just watched this video the other day:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Rumors suggest a March-Summer launch and it's going to be a big upgrade going 7nnm, but you could always just sell your card when the new ones come out. The 2070 Super is a great card for 1440p gaming.

Theres almost a zero percent chance they release Ampere before GTC.
Chances are they announce it at GTC then launch it some time later as 20 series cards drops and price and shops get rid of stock.
Computex is likely were we will actually get a glimpse at what the cards can actually do....launch later than that.

I see them launching H2 not H1 as some places have speculated.....they are in no rush unless the "Big Navi" shows up sooner rather than later.....then they might have to drop the cards sooner.
But i have little hope in Big Navi being a game changer.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks again for the advice earlier in the thread - my mate has his PC running nicely now, he's so happy and probably spent £400 or £500 less thanks to the advice in this thread. Went for a 2070 non-super in the end, too.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
So my 1070ti died last night and was out of warranty as this was a replacement for my 980ti and I embarrassingly didn't extend the warranty when I got it. I called support to see if I could politely ask for an RMA, but didn't have any luck.

I ended up getting a 2070 Super as a side-grade and am using my old 680 in the meantime. Going from playing Siege at mostly 120+fps with G-sync to barely hitting 60 is painful. On the positive side, the tech reminded me I can use EVGA'S trade-up program once the new cards are available to pay the difference on a far better (based on what I've read) card.

Status
Not open for further replies.