• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Wow! I was coming in here to promote the deal I got, but it's to late.

I bought this M.2 for $99

Now it's $134.

MicroCenter has the Crucial P1 for $95

www.microcenter.com

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics - Thousands of products to buy: desktops, laptops, monitors, build your own PC parts, upgrades, digital imaging, printing supplies, portable devices, audio equipment, software, video games, movies, tech books, plus repair service, store hours, directions...

I actually have one of these and it has worked well for about 8 months now.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a NZXT Kraken G12 & a Corsair H55 to start liquid cooling my 2080. Can't wait to see the improvements, it gets mighty hot in my H200i right now.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
The mobo I am looking at now only has one fan header. Is this an issue or does it just mean I will need to hook the case fans into the PSU and lose any functionality hooking them up into the mobo might bring?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The mobo I am looking at now only has one fan header. Is this an issue or does it just mean I will need to hook the case fans into the PSU and lose any functionality hooking them up into the mobo might bring?
You can get a PWM splitter or fan controller if you look around. You don't want to hook them up to molex because they'll just run at 100 percent continuously.

Ecchigun

Dec 13, 2019
I am really looking for the new VR from Valve so a PC for that will be great. Any trouble or specifics between "gaming" and "vr" specs?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I am really looking for the new VR from Valve so a PC for that will be great. Any trouble or specifics between "gaming" and "vr" specs?

Not really. Ultimately you just want the best CPU/GPU combo you can afford.

Also if you do want the Index you should probably put yourself on the auto-notification list in Steam, because currently I think every variant including the full kit is sold out. I've been trying to get the HMD-only for months and still nothing.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Ordered a NZXT Kraken G12 & a Corsair H55 to start liquid cooling my 2080. Can't wait to see the improvements, it gets mighty hot in my H200i right now.

Expect mainly less noise depending on what GPU you have. I have the H55 cooling a 2080 Ti and feel that a 240mm radiator would be more optimal but the 120mm does an ok job nevertheless with temps somewhere between 60-68C on load. The H55 has pretty short tubes so watch out where you can mount it depending on what case you are using. The straightforward option is the back fan position but if you have an air cooler on the CPU it will get in the way. On my Fractal Define S the only options were the back fan position and middle of front panel where the tubes would just about reach.

I would recommend replacing the stock fan with something better. I use a pair of Noctua F12 fans in push/pull. This mainly helps with reducing noise levels.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize, but I hadn't set my ram speeds to max. It was at 2800, thought I'd set it a few weeks back but must have not saved. Set it to 3200 via x-amp and I gained 30 frames from the bottom end in some games (was dropping into the 50s in Destiny 2 before, now the lowest I've seen is 80) and roughly 20 on top on average. Huge gains.

This is with a Ryzen 2700x, which is apparently very dependent on RAM speed. Make sure you do this if you have one of these CPUs.

However, Fortnite: Save the World is now unstable and will crash every hour or so. Other games seem fine. Is there anything I can do here, what would be my first step to try to resolve? I could just disable when I play, but I'd rather fix.

Also my CPU temps have gone up around 5 degrees at their hottest (hottest recorded under load us now 82 when it was 77), I'm assuming because the CPU is doing more with the new RAM speeds?

Averages around 65-70 under load.

Does this all sound ok and is there anything I should be doing here?

Thsnks!

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize, but I hadn't set my ram speeds to max. It was at 2800, thought I'd set it a few weeks back but must have not saved. Set it to 3200 via x-amp and I gained 30 frames from the bottom end in some games (was dropping into the 50s in Destiny 2 before, now the lowest I've seen is 80) and roughly 20 on top on average. Huge gains.

This is with a Ryzen 2700x, which is apparently very dependent on RAM speed. Make sure you do this if you have one of these CPUs.

However, Fortnite: Save the World is now unstable and will crash every hour or so. Other games seem fine. Is there anything I can do here, what would be my first step to try to resolve? I could just disable when I play, but I'd rather fix.

Also my CPU temps have gone up around 5 degrees at their hottest (hottest recorded under load us now 82 when it was 77), I'm assuming because the CPU is doing more with the new RAM speeds?

Averages around 65-70 under load.

Does this all sound ok and is there anything I should be doing here?

Thsnks!

It sounds like you might have inadvertently enabled an auto-overclocking mode of some description. I know it's very easy to accidentally do on my ASUS motherboard (on account of me doing it). I'd double check the settings and their descriptions in your BIOS.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like you might have inadvertently enabled an auto-overclocking mode of some description. I know it's very easy to accidentally do on my ASUS motherboard (on account of me doing it). I'd double check the settings and their descriptions in your BIOS.
Thanks. I definitely didn't, triple checked it now. The only active thing is the x-amp.

Bear in mind StW is a complete mess and is full of bugs and other issues... and it's the only game playing up. Anything else I could check?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
MicroCenter has the Crucial P1 for $95

www.microcenter.com

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics - Thousands of products to buy: desktops, laptops, monitors, build your own PC parts, upgrades, digital imaging, printing supplies, portable devices, audio equipment, software, video games, movies, tech books, plus repair service, store hours, directions...

I actually have one of these and it has worked well for about 8 months now.

Thats about how fast the one Im sending back is. The WD is faster.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I definitely didn't, triple checked it now. The only active thing is the x-amp.

Bear in mind StW is a complete mess and is full of bugs and other issues... and it's the only game playing up. Anything else I could check?

Other than a physical problem with a RAM stick, I'm not sure what else it could be. Increasing the memory speed may cause a slight CPU temp increase, but it should be pretty minimal, and it doesn't sound like your CPU is near dangerous temperatures, even at peak. If it doesn't happen at any other time, maybe it is just a weird bug with the game. You could run some stress tests (with something like Prime95 or AIDA64) to be sure.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Other than a physical problem with a RAM stick, I'm not sure what else it could be. Increasing the memory speed may cause a slight CPU temp increase, but it should be pretty minimal, and it doesn't sound like your CPU is near dangerous temperatures, even at peak. If it doesn't happen at any other time, maybe it is just a weird bug with the game. You could run some stress tests (with something like Prime95 or AIDA64) to be sure.
I will stress test later yeh. Played a good few hours or Destiny 2 since setting it with 0 issues so I think it might just be that game... but will test to check.

Thanks for the help!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
You can get a PWM splitter or fan controller if you look around. You don't want to hook them up to molex because they'll just run at 100 percent continuously.

Right. The case I am looking for has a switch for low / med / hi fan speed for the case fans, so I suppose that's because it seems only one header for case fans seems to be quite normal with these small form mobos.

It has one CPU fan header and one SYS fan header, to be specific.

Gotcha. So one for the CPU fan and one for the case fans?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. New PSU and cable came and the PC still won't turn on.

Dunno what the problem is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. New PSU and cable came and the PC still won't turn on.

Dunno what the problem is.
Ok fan test works on PSU, but if I press the power button on the PC not only does the PC not turn on, I need to flick the power switch off and back on before the fan test works again on the PSU.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Well...looking on the bright side at least your old PSU is probably still functional.

Have you tried jump starting the Mobo without using the case power button? I am assuming the PC isn't POSTing at all?
Unplugged everything but the 24 pin and it works

But if I plug it any other cable it doesn't turn on

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics works fine, CPU doesn't so I think it's fucked. Ryzen 3700x, had it less than 3 months.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Works with CPU too, testing SATA cables out now. Still no idea what the problem is/was

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Ah ok my bad, I have an O11 XL myself and don't know why I thought that, my memory failed me. And sure enough, their site says it does support the 280. http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11d-rog/

And yeah as the owner of a similar ROG Mobo (Crosshair VIII Formula), I'm thinking you'll be fine with the Taichi unless you just don't like how the ASRock BIOS works or something.

How do you like the O11 XL? I was going to go ITX, but the more I see this case it is a thing of beauty and so much more versatitle. It'll look like a damn computer fish tank in my living room which is good for me.

I'm not a fan of ASRock, but this was the only ATX X570 at the time available at microcenter since the 3900X had come out and people were buying up the higher end motherboards. I can always stick with the Taichi and go with a 360mm rad at the top too which will make the build look that much better.

I saw the CES 2020 announcement too with the ASUS/Crosair partnership with having Aura Sync compatible motherboards now appearing in iCUE too.

Last edited:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Expect mainly less noise depending on what GPU you have. I have the H55 cooling a 2080 Ti and feel that a 240mm radiator would be more optimal but the 120mm does an ok job nevertheless with temps somewhere between 60-68C on load.
As someone who has a G12 + an Asetek 550LC hooked up to a Zotac 1080Ti card, thank you for this observation. I'm getting high 60s/low 70s C temps with my current fan curve and have been wondering what I'm doing wrong, especially with a bunch of Reddit posts clamining their GPUs don't break 60C with a 120mm AIO hooked up.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf problem seems to be one of my SSDs. Narrowed it to two. What a weird problem.
Omg it was a faulty bloody Samsung SSD
Not that unusual tbh, I've seen it several times (once recently with an SSD, but many times in the olden days when people would have multiple spindle drives). It's one of the reasons why "strip it down to just the board, CPU and RAM" is a common troubleshooting tip. Many old boards can be temporarily rendered no-boot by plugging in a sata drive and not connecting that drive's power.

Glad you've found the problem! And I hope there was nothing important on the drive that wasn't backed up.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not that unusual tbh, I've seen it several times (once recently with an SSD, but many times in the olden days when people would have multiple spindle drives). It's one of the reasons why "strip it down to just the board, CPU and RAM" is a common troubleshooting tip. Many old boards can be temporarily rendered no-boot by plugging in a sata drive and not connecting that drive's power.

Glad you've found the problem! And I hope there was nothing important on the drive that wasn't backed up.
Nah, just a few games. Could've been a lot worse.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you like the O11 XL? I was going to go ITX, but the more I see this case it is a thing of beauty and so much more versatitle. It'll look like a damn computer fish tank in my living room which is good for me.

I'm not a fan of ASRock, but this was the only ATX X570 at the time available at microcenter since the 3900X had come out and people were buying up the higher end motherboards. I can always stick with the Taichi and go with a 360mm rad at the top too which will make the build look that much better.

I saw the CES 2020 announcement too with the ASUS/Crosair partnership with having Aura Sync compatible motherboards now appearing in iCUE too.
It's a beautiful, huge case that has a lot of room for doing a watercooling build. I'd say if you don't have any interest in doing a custom watercooling loop, you may want to go smaller. I've had mine setup with just a 360mm AIO while researching, learning and gathering the gear necessary to do my loop. I'm about to start it in a couple weeks and it's a steep learning curve IMO.

Last edited:

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
So what the heck is the SSD doing that's preventing the entire system from even posting? Bizarre. Honestly it could have been a lot worse, though, drives are easy to replace.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
It's a beautiful, huge case that has a lot of room for doing a watercooling build. I'd say if you don't have any interest in doing a custom watercooling loop, you may want to go smaller. I've had mine setup with just a 360mm AIO while researching, learning and gathering the gear necessary to do my loop. I'm about to start it in a couple weeks and it's a steep learning curve IMO.

I love the idea of the room to expand and for sure on the custom watercooling. I know I wouldn't go with the XL for sure, that case is too big for what I am working with but I plan to just stick with the regular O11D.

My plan is like yours to go full custom loop when the 3080/3080 Ti releases, and just use my AIO or a 360mm AIO for now on the 3900x. Looking at some of the watercooled builds in the O11D and they just look amazing.

I just ordered a 3 pack of LL120's for the case and just received my sleeved cables for the RM750x.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So what the heck is the SSD doing that's preventing the entire system from even posting? Bizarre. Honestly it could have been a lot worse, though, drives are easy to replace.
No idea lol but like you said, it could've been a lot worse.

I think it was somehow causing my entire system to short circuit?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of the room to expand and for sure on the custom watercooling. I know I wouldn't go with the XL for sure, that case is too big for what I am working with but I plan to just stick with the regular O11D.

My plan is like yours to go full custom loop when the 3080/3080 Ti releases, and just use my AIO or a 360mm AIO for now on the 3900x. Looking at some of the watercooled builds in the O11D and they just look amazing.

I just ordered a 3 pack of LL120's for the case and just received my sleeved cables for the RM750x.
Did you get your cables from Cablemod? Thast's where I got mine. And yeah if you're planning to do a loop, you may appreciate the XL's space.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Currently have a 2600X. Worth upgrading to the 3700X or should I wait for the Ryzen 4000 series?

I would wait, although that's more a general recommendation to (a) wait and (b) try to avoid single-generation upgrades. You'll feel more of a difference, the prices won't be shockingly different, and if you still go with 3x processors, that's all the more time for them to drop in price. It's also time for the motherboard market to catch-up with cheaper options and v2 boards.

The only downside with waiting is that we know very little about the next Ryzen desktop gen apart from that you won't see in the next few months.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Did you get your cables from Cablemod? Thast's where I got mine. And yeah if you're planning to do a loop, you may appreciate the XL's space.

I ordered the Corsair sleeved cables from Amazon, got them way much cheaper for official branded ones on there in box over getting them from Corsair. I was going to get cable mods, then ended up with the Corsair ones.

I'd have to see the dimensions of the XL when compared to the regular O11D since it'll be in my living room too.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
No idea lol but like you said, it could've been a lot worse.

I think it was somehow causing my entire system to short circuit?

Bad SATA controller? I wonder if that failed rather than the drive itself.

At this point it doesn't matter though I guess.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ordered the Corsair sleeved cables from Amazon, got them way much cheaper for official branded ones on there in box over getting them from Corsair. I was going to get cable mods, then ended up with the Corsair ones.

I'd have to see the dimensions of the XL when compared to the regular O11D since it'll be in my living room too.
Lian Li has all of that info on their site.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Does anyone know if Microcenter does price readjustment? I bought a 3800x for $350 last week, and today it's on sale for $270, i literally just installed it -_-

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
As someone who has a G12 + an Asetek 550LC hooked up to a Zotac 1080Ti card, thank you for this observation. I'm getting high 60s/low 70s C temps with my current fan curve and have been wondering what I'm doing wrong, especially with a bunch of Reddit posts clamining their GPUs don't break 60C with a 120mm AIO hooked up.

My setup is made to be as quiet as possible though so if you run your fans much higher then sure, you can probably get under 60C. My computer is right next to me under the table and I usually use speakers rather than headphones so loud fan noises are not something I tolerate.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would wait, although that's more a general recommendation to (a) wait and (b) try to avoid single-generation upgrades. You'll feel more of a difference, the prices won't be shockingly different, and if you still go with 3x processors, that's all the more time for them to drop in price. It's also time for the motherboard market to catch-up with cheaper options and v2 boards.

The only downside with waiting is that we know very little about the next Ryzen desktop gen apart from that you won't see in the next few months.
Sounds fair. And what is the recommendation on RAM?

I currently have 16GB in the system (3200MHZ CL14 Samsung B-Die - G.Skill Flare X). Should I double up or is that going to be a pointless upgrade?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

I currently have 16GB in the system (3200MHZ CL14 Samsung B-Die - G.Skill Flare X). Should I double up or is that going to be a pointless upgrade?

For gaming I still haven't seen any need to go above 16 GB. You are good with what you have.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

For gaming I still haven't seen any need to go above 16 GB. You are good with what you have.

Yep. No obvious reason to go over 16GB of RAM right now for gaming. It's far more important if you have the cash to reallocate that to graphics cards. Especially at 1440p or above you'd want a card with more RAM (which also means a better card, usually). Better to have an 8GB card and 16GB of RAM than 6/32, honestly, unless I guess pure 1080p is your jam.

Ventara

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, not sure if this is the right thread, but I have a question about MacBooks.

My girlfriend wants to buy a new one for work from the Apple website and is wondering if she can upgrade the harddrive to a bigger one or if it's soldered in. Can she upgrade it?

Status
Not open for further replies.