• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So it's finally time for me to upgrade my PC

Current setup I'm not sure if any of this would be reusable:
Case: BitFenix Neos
Motherboard: AsusTek H81M-D
Processor: Intel Pentium
Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 200
Fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KB8CB9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cooling:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Ram: XPG 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W

I was looking into the md-tier builds for myself. I kind of wanted to get some of the NVMe because of the benefits. I usually do coding work on my PC, play games, and develop my photos on it. Can anyone Recommend a build? My budget would be around $750.

Yes we can help! What kind of games? And at what resolution do you play at?

You can probably reuse the case. The PSU I'm guessing is from 2013-14? May as well start fresh and sell what you can.

Here's a build I quickly put together on PC Part Picker: AMD Gaming Build (Edit, fixed link)

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm looking to build a new PC later this year and a primary concern of mine is case size.

Since there don't seem to be any good mATX x570 motherboards, I'm going to go with a standard ATX board. Does anyone have suggestions for small ATX cases?

I have an NZXT S340 right now and want something smaller than that. Not happy with airflow, it's bulky, and heavy as shit.

As small as I could possibly go while still having room for an RTC 2080 or possible 3XXX card is the goal.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys! How's this? I changed the PSU to fully modular, and dropped the wattage 100.. good idea bad idea? PC Part picker estimates 375W swapped the regular SSD for M2 drive so two of those (I think the mobo fits two? I'm a pc building rookie)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xRNyq3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($669.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Case: SilverStone Technology Slim Computer Case for Mini-Itx Motherboards ($154.72 @ Amazon)
Total: $1461.55

Not included again, the 16GB DDR4 ram ( I think speeds have increased since I got mine, worth getting new ram?)

lastly I got about $200 in amazon money I could use dropping this to $1261.55 out of pocket. Would this be solid for goood 4K gaming on above average settings? I would be gaming on my 65" OLED :)

Looking good! Only thing I would recommend is increasing the PSU to be in compliance with Nvidia's minimum requirements on Page 4. It'll cost only a few buck to go up to 650W on the same brand :)

Also the RAM, absolutely get DDR4 3000 or 3200 or 3600 RAM. Ryzen works well with fast ram.

You will be able to run 4K on this build. I'm running it with lower specs than you!

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Looking good! Only thing I would recommend is increasing the PSU to be in compliance with Nvidia's minimum requirements on Page 4. It'll cost only a few buck to go up to 650W on the same brand :)

Also the RAM, absolutely get DDR4 3000 or 3200 or 3600 RAM. Ryzen works well with fast ram.

You will be able to run 4K on this build. I'm running it with lower specs than you!

awesome, New parts list below I upgraded to 650w , there's multiple different ones and I don't know what ones good and what ones not so I'll let you chime in on my list. Also added 16gb of DDR4 3600 RAM. Sucky thing, only 1 M2 slot on this itx board so I have to swap one of the 2 M2's add a 2.5" SSD instead.

glad to know 4k will be possible! This case has 3 built in fans too... should I expect it to be pretty quiet without being water cooled?

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg)
Case: SilverStone Technology Slim Computer Case for Mini-Itx Motherboards ($154.72 @ Amazon)
Total: $1551.53

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Oh... and is there anywhere to trade in or sell a current pc? I'm literally never going to use my current one... probably won't get much for it but I'd love to sell it without much hassle

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
awesome, New parts list below I upgraded to 650w , there's multiple different ones and I don't know what ones good and what ones not so I'll let you chime in on my list. Also added 16gb of DDR4 3600 RAM. Sucky thing, only 1 M2 slot on this itx board so I have to swap one of the 2 M2's add a 2.5" SSD instead.

glad to know 4k will be possible! This case has 3 built in fans too... should I expect it to be pretty quiet without being water cooled?

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg)

Nice!
While I'm not familiar with that particular noctua cooler, they are generally excellent for cooling and decibel level. Three case fans is more than enough and you can set a custom fan curve in the bios if it ends up being too loud. Worst case there's extremely quiet fans you can buy aftermarket to replace the case fans.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use Shadow Wings 2 fans? I was thinking of putting 3 in a 34L case (2 intake 1 output), wondering if that will move enough air for a normal system.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Nice!
While I'm not familiar with that particular noctua cooler, they are generally excellent for cooling and decibel level. Three case fans is more than enough and you can set a custom fan curve in the bios if it ends up being too loud. Worst case there's extremely quiet fans you can buy aftermarket to replace the case fans.
Awesome, thank you!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone use Shadow Wings 2 fans? I was thinking of putting 3 in a 34L case (2 intake 1 output), wondering if that will move enough air for a normal system.

I do! Ultra quiet. I actually have them positioned under my GPU as my GPU fans are a little too loud for my liking. So I have these running at a constant minimum 50% on a fan curve. Lowered GPU temps by a consistent 5-10 degrees and better yet the GPU fans run much slower now (and therefore quieter) given the extra cool air the shadow wings are providing (silently).

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Question for people with big heatsinks that move their case a lot, I'm currently building a mini-itx PC (Lian Li TU-150 case) and got a Noctua NH-D15 for my heatsink and I'm planning to move the PC sometimes between my living room and my computer room. Is there any danger that the motherboard will bend with time, even if I'm super careful?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, need some help. A friend bought a SSD to upgrade his PC. Can't help him, different country. He has 0 experience with pc build and I'm not an expert.

How to you connect a SSD ? Sata 3 from SSD to MB.
Then Sata power from SSD to... where ? MB ? Power supply ?

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I know this isnt a really high level question or anything, but I figured this is a good place to ask for some help.

I am in the process of building a new PC. I was planning on just using my old hard drive and SSD with Win10 on it. I seem to get alot of conflicting answers about whether i can literally just unplug my hard drives from the old PC and put them into this new PC without any issues at all.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Guys, need some help. A friend bought a SSD to upgrade his PC. Can't help him, different country. He has 0 experience with pc build and I'm not an expert.

How to you connect a SSD ? Sata 3 from SSD to MB.
Then Sata power from SSD to... where ? MB ? Power supply ?

Sata SSD to Sata MB. And then a hard drive power plug from the power supply to the SSD

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I know this isnt a really high level question or anything, but I figured this is a good place to ask for some help.

I am in the process of building a new PC. I was planning on just using my old hard drive and SSD with Win10 on it. I seem to get alot of conflicting answers about whether i can literally just unplug my hard drives from the old PC and put them into this new PC without any issues at all.

You are probably changing motherboard, CPU etc so you would be best reinstalling Windows. It might work if you just swap them but might run into some weird issues.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

I changed motherboard and CPU last year and didn't have any issues other than having to re-enter the Win10 key. So it might be worth a try before you nuke everything. I was going Intel to Intel though, not sure if it's weirder Intel to AMD or etc.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
You didnt lose any files or anything? I'm going AMD to AMD.

Nope, nothing. But I did completely image all drives beforehand and I had everything backed up in case of data issues.

Also, I have basically no important data on my OS drive anyway, makes life much easier in terms of backups to have dedicated drives for stuff I actually care about.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
You didnt lose any files or anything? I'm going AMD to AMD.

Data loss would be the last thing I would expect when changing CPU/Mainboard with the same Windows installation. Realistically I doubt anyone ever had any real issues when doing that. At least I never had any notable issues in several swaps of the same Windows installation between different PCs in the past 20 years. I think people are more worried about slight performance/stability issues due to Windows possibly having some driver conflicts after the switch. But again, I never noticed that and aside from people cautioning against and suggesting a clean reinstall I haven't yet read of anyone actually facing any issues.

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018

quoting myself... found this sff case...wow love it. May have to go with this one. this can be water cooled too. Legit!

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017

You can probably reuse the case. The PSU I'm guessing is from 2013-14? May as well start fresh and sell what you can.

Here's a build I quickly put together on PC Part Picker: AMD Gaming Build (Edit, fixed link)

Thanks. And I just really want to be able to play cyberpunk 2077 when it releases. I skipped a lot of games this generation to so I have to play a lot of catch up. And I usually play at 1080p but I do have a 144hz monitor. I definately will keep the case because I need to save cost where ever possible. As I guess another side note: Would this build stay cool? Since I'm always afraid of overheating.

Last edited:

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I'm slowly looking through parts to upgrade my pc. I currently have an i5 4690k, 970.

I'm thinking I want to go the i9 route. I've updated a few components, cpu, motherboard, ram, on partpicker and will most likely get a new graphics card in a couple months. Thoughts on this set up?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
In preparation for the release of the new consoles I overclocked my 6700k to 4.6Ghz and bought Trident Z 3200hz Cas 16 DDR4 that I'm hoping to OC to 3600hz. Come summer I want to get a 3080(ti). I'm hoping all of this will let me max out games completely for the next few years at least. I put a lot of planning into this.

This should be great for a few years right? Otherwise I think I'm done with PC gaming lol.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly looking through parts to upgrade my pc. I currently have an i5 4690k, 970.

I'm thinking I want to go the i9 route. I've updated a few components, cpu, motherboard, ram, on partpicker and will most likely get a new graphics card in a couple months. Thoughts on this set up?

wait for 10th gen part. They should come soon, around summer, and the new i7 10700k is a slightly better 9900k that will cost a lot less. It makes no sense to buy right now and you are waiting for your graphic card anyway, right? why even bother buying now.

Dec 1, 2017

Your current PC is midrange, and while the Core i9 9900K is the best performer, it also only makes sense to pare it with the best graphics card, the RTX 2080 Ti (which is 1200$). If you're looking to transition to high end, the i7-9700k looks good enough in terms of clock speeds for FPS and overclocking, which should be pared with at least an RTX 2070 Super. I'd imagine you're playing with a 1080p screen with a GTX 970, which means you should also upgrade your monitor/TV. For gaming, 16 GBs of DDR4 RAM is more than enough, and 32 GB is only justifiable for productivity (other than audio production).

And if you're waiting a couple of months to upgrade the GPU, you might as well just wait to upgrade everything until Ampere is announced.

Source: Best Gaming CPUs for 2020 - Tom's Hardware

EDIT: Edited the part about the 9900K

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
In preparation for the release of the new consoles I overclocked my 6700k to 4.6Ghz and bought Trident Z 3200hz Cas 16 DDR4 that I'm hoping to OC to 3600hz. Come summer I want to get a 3080(ti). I'm hoping all of this will let me max out games completely for the next few years at least. I put a lot of planning into this.

This should be great for a few years right? Otherwise I think I'm done with PC gaming lol.

That CPU is already a bottleneck in some games, and it's only going to get worse.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for some advice on what direction to go.

I have been thinking about getting a PC after not having one (besides my work laptop I can't install any software on) for a few years. I want the setup to look as clean as possible with as little wires as possible. I like the idea of all-in-one setups, but not completely averse to a more traditional setup if it looks clean enough. No Macs because I have never gotten into that ecosystem and don't feel like taking the plunge. I might want to hook it into a 4K TV we are also getting at some point. Needs to have enough power for digital art and video editing, but not for latest 1 person shooters at max settings.

1) What's your budget and currency?

Around 1000 - 1500 €

2) What do you want to use the computer for?

Entry level digital art and video editing. Occasional games. Mostly processor heavy genres like strategy and computer rpg's. A small change of audio recording at some point.

3) When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?

In the following six or so months.

4) Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer?

Completely new.

5) Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?

Need monitor, mouse, keyboard, drawing pad and audio output of some sort, but can generally shop for those myself.

6) Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or video card at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)

No, not really.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
That CPU is already a bottleneck in some games, and it's only going to get worse.
I think I'm going to do what I can to prepare with what I mentioned before. I think I'll wait for DDR5 in 2021 or 2022, unless my hand is forced. I'd feel pretty shit if I upgrade around this time and end up missing out on DDR5.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I think I'm going to do what I can to prepare with what I mentioned before. I think I'll wait for DDR5 in 2021 or 2022, unless my hand is forced. I'd feel pretty shit if I upgrade around this time and end up missing out on DDR5.
Yesterday I compared some benchmarks between Ryzen 3700X and 6700K. In a lot of games the Ryzen had an advantage of about 10 FPS.
But this was in numbers of 155FPS versus 145 FPS so still more than enough on the 6700K for now.

Of course the 6700K could get in trouble because of the 8 core CPU's of the next gen consoles. Only Time can tell.

I have a 6700K as well.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I went from a 6700k @4.5 to a 3600 last summer (for basically 20€ out of my pocket)
In CPU intensive games like AC Odyssey & co there's a definite difference between the two in favor of the 3600.
For the rest it's a wash.

As someone else said, and as I experienced myself, any 4C/8T can be a bottleneck today so forget maxing out everything and playing at high refresh rates for the next few years with a 6700k.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I've been looking for the LG 27GL850 monitor since November and I can't seem to find any local retailer with available stock. Last time I checked it was out of stock on Amazon too.

Are there any other alternatives in the same price-range, specs etc? I've only heard about an Asus TUF monitor but it's considerably worse in response times at lower refresh rates.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking for the LG 27GL850 monitor since November and I can't seem to find any local retailer with available stock. Last time I checked it was out of stock on Amazon too.

Are there any other alternatives in the same price-range, specs etc? I've only heard about an Asus TUF monitor but it's considerably worse in response times at lower refresh rates.
There is a cheaper LG one with the same panel and a slightly different name, though I can not remember it I am sure someone will - a few here have purchased them.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017

I've been looking for monitors as well. One I was considering was the Acer Predator XB271HU G sync monitor, similar price. That LG looks pretty solid, but what's the difference between a G-sync monitor, and G-sync compatible monitor?

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

27GL83

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for monitors as well. One I was considering was the Acer Predator XB271HU G sync monitor, similar price. That LG looks pretty solid, but what's the difference between a G-sync monitor, and G-sync compatible monitor?

The former has an actual G Sync module, the latter is a Freesync monitor that Nvidia has certified to work with their cards.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I went from a Intel 3570k to a Ryzen 2700 and it seemed to work flawlessly with the old hard drive.

I nuked it, though, and did a clean install. My Windows 10 license was tied to my hotmail account, so after a quick hardware verification, Windows didn't care that the license was on totally new hardware.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
So, I'm looking to build a new PC later this year and a primary concern of mine is case size.

Since there don't seem to be any good mATX x570 motherboards, I'm going to go with a standard ATX board. Does anyone have suggestions for small ATX cases?
I have an NZXT S340 right now and want something smaller than that. Not happy with airflow, it's bulky, and heavy as shit.

Yeah, mATX seems to be dead on X570, so you need to either go ATX or ITX...
  • Phanteks P400A is still fairly big for its size, but considered a great airflow case (I believe they have a P300A shipping soon if you need smaller)
  • Fractal Meshify C is smaller than the P400A
  • Corsair 280X is a mATX case that can use ITX boards but ATX power supplies, so it's both huge for ITX and small for ATX?
Anyway, just depends on how much smaller of a case you want to go. I've had a great time with "big" ITX builds (see: Corsair 250D) but sometimes its nice to just know you can buy whatever ATX board on the market and not be obsessed with card clearance. Anyway, all of them should be lighter than your S340 steel girder...:)

Punchdrunk28 said:

The pieces all seem fine? 750W might be overkill unless you're going to a 2080, but the parts are all reasonable. The only other part that stands out as probably more than you need is the RAM, you could find cheaper options there unless you're really psyched to go RGB.

It's a bit of an awkward time right now, AMD parts are better for the buck in many cases, and the X570 chipset is the only one to support PCIe 4.0 SSDs, but its not like you need Gen4 to have a good PC experience either. Its just the most future thinking at the moment. Beyond that there are other things just trickling in, like USB 3.2 Gen 2 and USB-C ports on cases (Motherboards are pretty good with the latter, at least in that most new ones seem to have a single port)

Status
Not open for further replies.