• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
So I got a EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super today and performance is better then my 2060 but I'm having some problems and unsure if this is where I should ask.

My friend also got a RTX 2080 Super and can run Fallen Order at 4K/60/Max Settings but when I do the same I get 40s - 50s. His build is very similar with most of the differences being equivalent stuff.

I have:
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core
16GB of DDR4 @ 2400
ASUS Rog Strix B450-F Motherboard

According to what I could find the combo of the CPU/GPU should cause minimal bottlenecking.

Could this be a RAM issue?
Did you perform a clean reinstall of your drivers?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever try the Nvidia G-Sync pendulum demo? That's where the flickering was the most intense for me.

Tried the Pendulum demo at both default resolution and settings as well as different customized settings to check for any hint of tear or flickering with G-SYNC on. No visual problems or issues. Modern Warfare has been the worst (and so far only) flickering offender.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Tried the Pendulum demo at both default resolution and settings as well as different customized settings to check for any hint of tear or flickering with G-SYNC on. No visual problems or issues. Modern Warfare has been the worst (and so far only) flickering offender.
Thanks for that! And it's good to hear - feels like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cables that come with your monitor are nearly always of poor quality and I'd be surprised if you can find any specs on it. IMO it's worth buying a new one, testing, and returning if it doesn't end up helping.
Mine definitely looks super generic, haha. My sister is in the US right now, so I asked her to pick up the Best Buy Insignia cable catpurrcat suggested above. Hopefully that'll sort things out.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So I got a EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super today and performance is better then my 2060 but I'm having some problems and unsure if this is where I should ask.

My friend also got a RTX 2080 Super and can run Fallen Order at 4K/60/Max Settings but when I do the same I get 40s - 50s. His build is very similar with most of the differences being equivalent stuff.

I have:
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core
16GB of DDR4 @ 2400
ASUS Rog Strix B450-F Motherboard

According to what I could find the combo of the CPU/GPU should cause minimal bottlenecking.

Could this be a RAM issue?

RAM was my first thought. Can you temporarily swap ram with your friend?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
At the risk of sounding very stupid; what are DCH drivers? I just updated my drivers through the GeForce Experience app after installing the new card.

haha no worries dude :) the DCH are the drivers that get installed with windows and so for example Nvidia control panel is an App Store app rather than a regular exe application download.

download the standard driver package (ie the NON dch version) from the Nvidia website first. Put it in a folder you can find it easily. Then you can run DDU.

I used DDU to remove the old drivers (and DDU is awesome btw, it is step by step and removes ALL),boots up to a nice fuzzy low res 1024x768 screen, locate the driver package in the folder you saved it in, run it, and voila, you have a clean driver install!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I did perform a clean install and then reinstalled the driver but performance didn't change.

do you have a Second TV or monitor that you have your computer hooked up to? Like if you have a living room couch TV that you're running a wire to?

if so, sometimes windows get confused which one is displaying even when one is off. Check your desktop setting to ensure it says "display on monitor 1 only" and NOT "duplicate screen".

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Santini and [/USER] and maybe also Brazil too, this is good advice and only takes a few minutes. Try the non DCH drivers - those seemed to fix my issues.

My Modern Warfare issue was fixed some time ago, and I haven't had any other G-SYNC/flickering issues other than in that specific game. =)

MW at launch was pretty buggy. In recalling when it happened, it was definitely a game patch that somehow addressed the flickering as clean installing (i.e., rebooting into safe mode and going through the whole DDU routine) the then current MW "Game Ready" drivers hadn't helped at all. No other game had that issue.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Here's what comes in the box (pic via RTINGS.com):

27gl83a-b-in-the-box-large.jpg

But to confirm, you do get 1 HDMI cable and 1 DisplayPort cable. In the event you don't have an optical drive for the CD, you can find the manual and drivers online on the LG website.

Sorry to bother you again. Mines came early today and the only thing I cant figure out it how to get it to 144 hz. It says 100hz in the osd when I pull it up. I cant find the setting where you change that. Do I perhaps need to use displayport instead for the higher refresh rates?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bother you again. Mines came early today and the only thing I cant figure out it how to get it to 144 hz. It says 100hz in the osd when I pull it up. I cant find the setting where you change that. Do I perhaps need to use displayport instead for the higher refresh rates?

No worries. The setting to change your resolution and refresh rate should be in the Windows control panel for monitors/displays.

I haven't used the HDMI cable that came with the monitor; my video card is connected to the monitor via the included DisplayPort cable instead, so I can confirm that it works.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
do you have a Second TV or monitor that you have your computer hooked up to? Like if you have a living room couch TV that you're running a wire to?

if so, sometimes windows get confused which one is displaying even when one is off. Check your desktop setting to ensure it says "display on monitor 1 only" and NOT "duplicate screen".

So I tried the RAM thing with my friend but no change. I think it's my Ryzen 7 2700. I can still play a ton of games at 4K/60 now but not at max settings.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I fucked up. Sigh.
Tried to install a new 3700x into my computer and it didn't boot. Ok, no problem, put back in my old CPU to start troubleshooting and figure out what was wrong. Froze on windows loading. (It worked all fine before this)
I'm guessing I fried the motherboard and the CPU with it or something. Took it into a repair place, normally I would never do that but I could tell this was going to be hell to troubleshoot given taking out/putting in CPUs and it would be much easier with other working components to test with.
Just needed to vent to relieve some stress because the thing I've spent thousands on might be dead and I'm just sitting waiting to find out if it is or not.

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Looking to buy 1440p 144Hz for a new build (Gaming) in March. Was hoping Black Friday would help me.

LG 27GL83A-B - Buy link (Amazon) - rtings.com Review - $380 (Possible -$100 extra with Amazon Visa Card)
- Released only a couple of months ago, seems very solid
ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR - Buy Link (Amazon) - $430 (Possible -$100 extra with Amazon Visa Card)
- Solid monitor but potentially iffy back bleed, 3 years old now, all time low price
AORUS AD27QD - Buy Link (newegg) - rtings.com Review - $470
- Also solid, but some iffy reviews, also the added "Gamer" stuff is not worth it for me personally, Black Friday Sale

Would prefer G-Sync compatible and hopefully low response time, and I tend to use it in the dark.

The reason I'm asking is because the LG is not on sale at all, but seems very good, and I actually feel it might run out of stock based on that.

Does anyone have any of these monitors and can give me some personal opinions on them? I'm fine with waiting until I build in March to get a monitor but again, was figuring maybe a Black Friday Deal would be good enough to get the monitor now.

i lucked out and got a DELL 27" S2716DGR with G-SYNC for $300 two days ago at Best Buy.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question, is a Zotac AMP 2080 super (dual fan) card running at 85 c max under load at 1440 p considered dangerous? I chose the card as the case can only take dual slot strictly (no oversized coolers)

I have an itx case (fractal core 500). I tamed the ryzen 3700x (got temps under 75 c under load when initially it was low 80s) by installing an AIO, swapping the fan that came with it with a high quality Noctua fan, and connecting an exhaust fan, but now I'm worried about the GPU. Am I going to decrease its life?

Oct 25, 2017
When installing a new CPU/Mobo/RAM, I should do a clean install of Windows, right? It's such a pain in the ass to redownload everything/get settings etc back to where I like them.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what's the difference between the various sizes of the GPUs that I should take note? I have read that smaller sized GPU
"tends to slow down on a continues usage, whereas a full-sized card will stabilize the temperature with the help of the second fan", but what if I have sufficient chassic fan solution? Is there any reason (price or something?) why I should choose the larger one over the smaller one?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
what's the difference between the various sizes of the GPUs that I should take note? I have read that smaller sized GPU
"tends to slow down on a continues usage, whereas a full-sized card will stabilize the temperature with the help of the second fan", but what if I have sufficient chassic fan solution? Is there any reason (price or something?) why I should choose the larger one over the smaller one?
I would only go smaller video card if your setup can't fit a bigger one. Bigger card tend to have larger heatsink and bigger / more fans. Thus, having better cooling, be much more quiet and still have maintain higher longer boost performance.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
i lucked out and got a DELL 27" S2716DGR with G-SYNC for $300 two days ago at Best Buy.

Good find. Also FoolsMilky there's the Dell 2719DGF which is freesync but works fine with my nvidia card. Very very happy with it. Colours and contrast (particularly black and greys) look good. Had to tweak the settings quite a bit though. Only your eyes matter so try to see some in store (or get it from a place that returnable).

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Good find. Also FoolsMilky there's the Dell 2719DGF which is freesync but works fine with my nvidia card. Very very happy with it. Colours and contrast (particularly black and greys) look good. Had to tweak the settings quite a bit though. Only your eyes matter so try to see some in store (or get it from a place that returnable).

I did end up getting the LG 27GL83A-B. It came back in stock and I decided to just go with it.

I did look at the Dell 2719DGF but the rtings review wasn't that impressive. Probably should have watched some videos on it though.

Will post back here with some impressions after I've had some time with it. It should come in either tomorrow(Monday) or Tuesday. Would also like impressions of anyone else that bought into any 1440p 144hz monitors recently.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I did end up getting the LG 27GL83A-B. It came back in stock and I decided to just go with it.

I did look at the Dell 2719DGF but the rtings review wasn't that impressive. Probably should have watched some videos on it though.

Will post back here with some impressions after I've had some time with it. It should come in either tomorrow(Monday) or Tuesday. Would also like impressions of anyone else that bought into any 1440p 144hz monitors recently.
I got basically that same monitor, the LG 27GL850.
I love the shit out of it. At first, going from 1080/60 to 1440/144 doesn't feel *that* different, but after a few days I really started to notice how smooth it is, and now looking at 60fps feels like 30.
The one thing you will notice immediately is the mouse cursor is a lot smoother.
Response time is also a much bigger factor that I was anticipating. Stupid since I spent a long time in a hole of getting old consoles to output with as little latency as possible but never thought about it on PC. Makes a big difference imo even in non-shooters. been playing a lot of Age of Empires 2 definitive at 141fps (you should read that one gsync guide if you haven't already, you want to cap the framerate slightly lower than 144) and it's a much nicer experience.
1440p is also a nice upgrade. It's definitely sharper.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

awesome choice, it's apparently got alot of fans.

personally I tend to avoid review sites for audio and video as for whatever reason (panel lottery? Mfg refreshes?) I find my own experiences differ from what a reviewer has posted, too often.

Thank goodness Era exists :)

though sometimes it can be an
echo chamber of confirmation bias
<shrug>

anyways, looking forward to your impressions!

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
I got basically that same monitor, the LG 27GL850.
I love the shit out of it. At first, going from 1080/60 to 1440/144 doesn't feel *that* different, but after a few days I really started to notice how smooth it is, and now looking at 60fps feels like 30.
The one thing you will notice immediately is the mouse cursor is a lot smoother.
Response time is also a much bigger factor that I was anticipating. Stupid since I spent a long time in a hole of getting old consoles to output with as little latency as possible but never thought about it on PC. Makes a big difference imo even in non-shooters. been playing a lot of Age of Empires 2 definitive at 141fps (you should read that one gsync guide if you haven't already, you want to cap the framerate slightly lower than 144) and it's a much nicer experience.
1440p is also a nice upgrade. It's definitely sharper.

Unfortunately I might not get to mess with that stuff immediately. The monitor is for a build in March rather than now. In fact, it sounds like I won't be able to (maybe?) even enable G-Sync for my GTX 970, because G-Sync compatible is for 10-series cards and up.

I'll still give my impressions and turn on what I can, but I won't have a full experience until early next year (Probably late March when new cards will hopefully be announced and prices go down)

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would only go smaller video card if your setup can't fit a bigger one. Bigger card tend to have larger heatsink and bigger / more fans. Thus, having better cooling, be much more quiet and still have maintain higher longer boost performance.

Thanks. I guess I'll settle for a 2 fans standard one then. I'll wait for the next gen GPU from Nvidia. I'll continue using my GTX1070 till then.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
---

I need some help choosing a new PSU.

I was just going to keep using my current one but after thinking about it some more, I don't think it's worth the risk of frying my system because of the new PSU SATA cables that I purchased, especially after reading a few comments on reddit about peoples Hard Drives dying.

Since there are still some deals going on I should be able to find a decent one.

I have a Ryzen 2600, GTX 1070ti, 840 evo SSD, 2 hard drives, a M.2 drive. and I plan to hook up 6 drives for right now but I most likely may end up with as much as 8 hard drives.

Is there something that I should be looking for? My previous PSU was a CX500M and from reading some peoples comments those PSUs sucked? or something like that?

I think I will just return the SATA PSU cable that I ordered. what can I get for around $70USD that is semi modular and that will last me a few years.

As for size I don't think it matters since I'm pretty sure I have a full sized tower

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
So I think I should start by upgrading my internal HDD to a internal SSD, which is the best 2TB internal SSD available right now?

Jul 26, 2018
Era!

So i've always wanted a 1440p ultrawide monitor as my main gaming monitor. I already have a Acer Predator 31 inch curved, 1440p, 165hz, & gsync monitor. It's pretty big, but i'm planning to use it as my 2nd monitor.

The thing is that i'm very indecisive on buying a ultrawide because really, there aren't many 1440p ultrawides with 144Hz display. Most are either 100-120hz. Currently there's only 1 which is from ASUS ROG but it's freaking $2.5K....

I game at 1440p with a RTX 2080 Super and ofc I can't reach 144hz on most games. Yet for some like Titanfall 2 and Modern Warfare on low settings, playing at 1440p, 144-165hz is amazing.

Should I buy an ultrawide now and just deal with the 100-120Hz cap for certain games? Or wait next year for a possible 144hz ultrawide with gsync, hdr, etc?

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I had to RMA my GPU and now, trying to use my computer without it, the PC is not detecting the HDMI cable connected to the motherboard. Do I need to pull out the mobo battery again to get it to recognise the output? I was using a Display Port with my GPU. Any help appreciated.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
So I currently have a Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2070 8G Gaming (no super) and tinking about upgrading to an Asus DUAL-RTX2080S-O8G-EVO since I would get a goood price on that due to cyber monday. Am I missing anything with the new card since it's non Strix? If I get this correctly strix is basically just a very tiny overclooking from manufacturing side and some optical stuff I don't care about, correct? Bone Works is coming up and I would love to be able to play that on 120hz on my index. Or at least 90 with all the bells and whistles activated and I don't think the regular 2070 is up to the task...

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to RMA my GPU and now, trying to use my computer without it, the PC is not detecting the HDMI cable connected to the motherboard. Do I need to pull out the mobo battery again to get it to recognise the output? I was using a Display Port with my GPU. Any help appreciated.

what CPU are you using? if your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, the port on your motherboard isn't going to do anything.

Oct 25, 2017
When installing a new CPU/Mobo/RAM, I should do a clean install of Windows, right? It's such a pain in the ass to redownload everything/get settings etc back to where I like them.

I had zero problems taking moving an install from Ryzen 1700 to a 9700k. Just had to reauthorize. Which went a little odd probably more because it was an upgrade key from Win 7 (which worked on a fresh install originally, but w/e), but ended up still working with my Windows 7 key.

Did do DDD for my video card though since I was also switching from a 1060 to a 580 (for specific Hackintosh reasons)

All went incredibly smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.