• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone been able to successfully eliminate FreeSync flickering on a 144Hz monitor running a Nvidia graphics card? I'm currently wondering If I should just turn it off for good :(

Sorry to hear that. Didn't even know that was an issue. I'm using a dell freesync monitor with an nvidia GPU successfully. All I did was turn vsync on globally in the nvidia control panel, and obviously enable gsync. Which monitor are you using? By the way, are you using HDMI or Displayport? My understanding was that you must use displayport for freesync to work on nvidia cards (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And get a certified cable. The best buy insignia displayport cable works great.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Check that the plugs are pushed in correctly/fully on both the PSU (if modular) and of course on the motherboard. On some motherboards it's a bit difficult to get the powercable pushed into the pin socket (need to be gentle but still a bit of force).

Also are you using risers with your motherboard? Follow the manual for your case/mobo if not. It shouldn't be touching the metal case or it will short out and simply not start up (or startup to blank screen).

Oct 27, 2017
This is dumb, just take a bunch of pictures of connections and plugs, upload to the gallery, drop the link.

Pictures of how you plugged everything from multiple angles. Will only take a few minutes.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Sorry to hear that. Didn't even know that was an issue. I'm using a dell freesync monitor with an nvidia GPU successfully. All I did was turn vsync on globally in the nvidia control panel, and obviously enable gsync. Which monitor are you using? By the way, are you using HDMI or Displayport? My understanding was that you must use displayport for freesync to work on nvidia cards (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And get a certified cable. The best buy insignia displayport cable works great.
Oh. Turn V-Sync on? I thought you were supposed to have it off so it didn't conflict with G-Sync/FreeSync. I'll try that next.

My monitor is an LG 34UC79G. I'm using DisplayPort through the cable provided with the monitor itself, which I would imagine has to be certified, haha.

I've tried following this tutorial, but it didn't seem to change much. https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agcj4a/how_to_eliminate_flickering_on_gsyncfreesync/

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
My understanding was that you must use displayport for freesync to work on nvidia cards (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And get a certified cable. The best buy insignia displayport cable works great.

I bought two identical 1440p/144hz monitor recently with one hooked up through HDMI and the other through display port. And I'm only getting the G-Sync option on the monitor that is connected via the display port cable. I didn't know why but if what you wrote is true then that explains it.

Another thing of note, despite the all the settings being identical my screen connected via HDMI seems a bit brighter then the one with DP. I'm liking the one with HDMI more. Anyone know if they look a little different because of the different cables I used or does this tend to happen even with identical monitors?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I bought two identical 1440p/144hz monitor recently with one hooked up through HDMI and the other through display port. And I'm only getting the G-Sync option on the monitor that is connected via the display port cable. I didn't know why but if what you wrote is true then that explains it.

Another thing of note, despite the all the settings being identical my screen connected via HDMI seems a bit brighter then the one with DP. I'm liking the one with HDMI more. Anyone know if they look a little different because of the different cables I used or does this tend to happen even with identical monitors?

Yeah you're going to have to tweak nvidia control panel for each display to tune the picture to your liking. Not sure the technical reasons why that is (panel lottery perhaps?) but I've heard the same from a developer friend with a setup likes yours.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. Turn V-Sync on? I thought you were supposed to have it off so it didn't conflict with G-Sync/FreeSync. I'll try that next.

My monitor is an LG 34UC79G. I'm using DisplayPort through the cable provided with the monitor itself, which I would imagine has to be certified, haha.

I've tried following this tutorial, but it didn't seem to change much. https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agcj4a/how_to_eliminate_flickering_on_gsyncfreesync/

I just did my first freesync setup so all this is fresh in memory. Yup the key point is vsync ON in Nvidia Control Panel global settings, and then in each game's options menu turn the game's own vsync option OFF. I know, it sounds weird to me too but basically you want the nvidia global setting to be in charge.

And yeah trying a new cable (like the best buy one I mentioned) doesn't hurt. I know when it came to HDMI cables I had numerous issues with non certified cables so I presume Displayport has the same quirks.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to successfully eliminate FreeSync flickering on a 144Hz monitor running a Nvidia graphics card? I'm currently wondering If I should just turn it off for good :(

I've only had one game flicker on me, and that was Modern Warfare. I don't know if one of the various game patches they've done fixed the problem, but it hasn't happened again since I finished the single player campaign and moved on to multiplayer. Every other game I've played so far has exhibited no flickering whatsoever.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, I had both G-SYNC and V-Sync enabled, and in Modern Warfare, I had the frame limiter turned on to 140 (or whatever number they have that is closest to 144). Was pretty annoying until it got fixed.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
So, should I just ignore Ray tracing for now and just upgrade again when it becomes more supported?

Edit: If this is the case, I may even scale back for this build to a RX590/580 and wait it out.

...if I'm being honest with myself, I'm having hard time choosing between a RX 5700 XT and a RTX 2060 Super. Personal pros for the Nvidia is RT and nvenc but the 5700 XT is more powerful.

Last edited:

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
That's normal on Zen 2. As for the fan speed, you need to increase the speed up/down intervals or whatever they're called in the bios, so the fan doesn't speed up because the cpu reported 70C for a split second.

Wow, thanks for that link! That was very helpful. Looks like I need to try a couple of things to see if it settles down a little.

EDIT:
I ended up disabling the Core Performance Boost and another processor boost setting and all is great! Fan is consistent, CPU voltages/temps are much more consistent, but the performance hasn't been hit much at all. Seriously thank you for the link - that issue was the only thing bumming me out about my build

Last edited:

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
OK I got a question guys. When I first enabled Gsync in the Nvidia Control panel, it eliminated screen tearing in called Ultra Street Fighter 4. But when I tried again today the screen tearing was back again. I disabled and enabled it but nothing changed. For the record I am using a monitor that supports Freesync and not Gsync though.

I saw people talking about the Vsync option so I checked it. There was no option for "adaptive", just on, off, fast, and "Use the 3D Application setting". I turned it on and it got rid of the screen tearing but also introduced noticeable input lag. And that input lag is why I never turn Vsync on within the game.

But when I turn on the Gsync indicator it does say Gsync is on when I open USF4 despite the fact that there is still very noticeable screen tearing. Any idea what I can do about this?

EDIT: OK so when I tried the "Fast" setting it eliminated screen tearing and didn't give me any noticeable input lag either. Did this option even require Gsync? It seems like something that works independently from Gsync so I was just wondering if it even mattered that I enabled it?

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So, should I just ignore Ray tracing for now and just upgrade again when it becomes more supported?

Edit: If this is the case, I may even scale back for this build to a RX590/580 and wait it out.

...if I'm being honest with myself, I'm having hard time choosing between a RX 5700 XT and a RTX 2060 Super. Personal pros for the Nvidia is RT and nvenc but the 5700 XT is more powerful.

5700 XT will serve you well. (I have an RTX card)

Go with that IMO.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is looking for a cheap ultrawide-ish monitor I bought the LG-34WL500 a few weeks ago and I love it.
It may not be the best resolution or have the best colors but it is pretty wide, supports FreeSync, and has a pretty decent picture for the price. I also much prefer the flat of it vs the curved monitors (I tried a few before settling on this one).

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
OK I got a question guys. When I first enabled Gsync in the Nvidia Control panel, it eliminated screen tearing in called Ultra Street Fighter 4. But when I tried again today the screen tearing was back again. I disabled and enabled it but nothing changed. For the record I am using a monitor that supports Freesync and not Gsync though.

I saw people talking about the Vsync option so I checked it. There was no option for "adaptive", just on, off, fast, and "Use the 3D Application setting". I turned it on and it got rid of the screen tearing but also introduced noticeable input lag. And that input lag is why I never turn Vsync on within the game.

But when I turn on the Gsync indicator it does say Gsync is on when I open USF4 despite the fact that there is still very noticeable screen tearing. Any idea what I can do about this?

EDIT: OK so when I tried the "Fast" setting it eliminated screen tearing and didn't give me any noticeable input lag either. Did this option even require Gsync? It seems like something that works independently from Gsync so I was just wondering if it even mattered that I enabled it?

Adaptive sync has a range, as described in this PC World article. The low-end could the issue with yours? I'm surprised USF4 is not locked at 60 FPS. Apparently there's a smooth v fixed option in SF4? Set it to fixed and then see.

My very limited understanding of "fast" in the vsync options is that it's for when your FPS > monitor refresh rate (like 280 fps on a 144hz monitor). So it selects the best frames to display, something like that.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Adaptive sync has a range, as described in this PC World article. The low-end could the issue with yours? I'm surprised USF4 is not locked at 60 FPS. Apparently there's a smooth v fixed option in SF4? Set it to fixed and then see.

My very limited understanding of "fast" in the vsync options is that it's for when your FPS > monitor refresh rate (like 280 fps on a 144hz monitor). So it selects the best frames to display, something like that.

I do have Fixed enabled within the settings and the game is locked at 60fps for me.

As for the other thing you mentioned. I just used the in game benchmark and averaged 268. My GPU is only a 1050 TI, but SF4 is a old game that was never demanding in the 1st place so I guess since the "Fast" option was needed because the FPS far outpaced the 144hz monitor I'm using.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

For Gsync you need to cap the framerate at 2-3 frames below your max refresh rate (141-142 on a 144Hz panel for example), if it goes over that cap the image will tear.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Out of curiosity, would you guys say that more than 8GB of RAM are needed? I see 16GB is recommended, and I guess it's a good idea to get it now that the prices are reasonable. Maybe it's just that I usually don't have all that many programs open (and never an intensive game and another program).

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
8GB doesn't cut it any more, 16GB is the standard. RAM is so cheap these days there is no reason to cut that unless you are super, super budget constraint, like $500 for the whole system constraint.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I figured this would be a good place to ask..
My PC freezes (sometimes entirely) when downloading or extracting large files and I think the issue is my SSD. The write speed is extremely slow for some reason

I'm doing the downloading/extracting on another drive which is just a hdd but I'm thinking the problem is rooted in the SSD write speed

This is a test from a few minutes ago

DKaCn5r.png

This one is from 2015 that I happened to have saved

pEI83vz.jpg

Do I need to free up more space on the ssd? That's about the only difference I can think of between both of these test. Well, that and a few years of use.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

5700XT way over the 2060.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
Out of curiosity, would you guys say that more than 8GB of RAM are needed? I see 16GB is recommended, and I guess it's a good idea to get it now that the prices are reasonable. Maybe it's just that I usually don't have all that many programs open (and never an intensive game and another program).
Yeah, definitely upgrade to 16gb if you are able to. 8gb of RAM is pretty low nowadays. Your starting to see 16gb become the norm now for recommended in pc specs and 8gb is usually quite low. Also what DDR are you running?

I myself just upgraded to 64gb of RAM but I'm a game developer who works on UE4. I used to have 32gb of RAM but UE4 eats up RAM like it's candy and I was seeing it being maxed out easily.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i just loaded up hwinfo to check temps/voltages while rendering some video footage. i noticed that my SSD drive now has 98% life (it's a 250GB samsung nvme) but when i check crystaldiskinfo it says 100%.

i've had this drive for almost 21 months and apparently i've written 6,794GB and read 7,624GB.

should i be concerned? i had a 1TB SSD for 4 years and it never went below 99%. also what is the more reliable software to keep an eye on this? i have all my games stored on a 2TB drive and all my important files on another 2TB HDD so if the boot drive does die then i can just swap it out and all i need to do is a clean install of windows.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Yeah, definitely upgrade to 16gb if you are able to. 8gb of RAM is pretty low nowadays. Your starting to see 16gb become the norm now for recommended in pc specs and 8gb is usually quite low. Also what DDR are you running?

I myself just upgraded to 64gb of RAM but I'm a game developer who works on UE4. I used to have 32gb of RAM but UE4 eats up RAM like it's candy and I was seeing it being maxed out easily.
I have 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, which I got when the prices were awful. Is there any way to check if I actually need it? Should I just check the usage while gaming, for example?

I'm planning to get a new GPU soon, so I'd probably postpone the RAM for now.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Not sure if this is the right thread but has can anyone recommend a wireless headset, I've recently moved to a wireless setup so I can move the PC into the lounge and the last part to replace is the headset.

Budget is around £100, maximum is £150 for an outstanding set.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
I have 8GB DDR4 2666MHz, which I got when the prices were awful. Is there any way to check if I actually need it? Should I just check the usage while gaming, for example?

I'm planning to get a new GPU soon, so I'd probably postpone the RAM for now.
Yeah, I would check the usage while gaming to see how much is being used. I use CAM, it's a free monitoring software made by NZXT. Also bear in mind chrome alone can use 3-5gb of RAM depending on what addons you have and windows 10 uses up some too so that's around 6gb already used up leaving 2 gb for games if you're running chrome in the background.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Yeah, I would check the usage while gaming to see how much is being used. I use CAM, it's a free monitoring software made by NZXT. Also bear in mind chrome alone can use 3-5gb of RAM depending on what addons you have and windows 10 uses up some too so that's around 6gb already used up leaving 2 gb for games if you're running chrome in the background.
I'll try that program, thanks! Like I said, I pretty much never keep Chrome or other programs open while playing something intensive, which probably explains why I haven't felt the need for more RAM as of yet. I never experience slowdowns, stutters or weird hangups either, which as far as I know are the usual suspects when there's not enough RAM.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I feel like upgrading the ram of my 4 year old PC from 16gb to 32gb. Problem is that the Mobo only supports 2133 mhz unless I OC, which I don't really want to do nor deal with. It's quite difficult to find 2133 ram, especially if I want to get the same sticks to match my old ones, so I'm thinking of just getting newer ones that have faster speeds to replace the old ones. The idea is to use these sticks for my future new PC eventually, which I should be building in a year or 2 probably.

Will there be any problems using ram that runs faster than supported by the Mobo?

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Fucking hell. My PC started randomly freezing as soon as I entered Windows today. I decided to do a clean Windows 10 install but am getting constant 'Failed to copy files' when using the USB installation media. It gets to 100% and throws that error. I'm trying to use a different USB, but only have a MacBook available and it keeps failing to create the media using boot camp assistant. I've also tried swapping out my ram sticks and that didn't help either.

Has anybody here successfully fixed this error before? I don't want to have to pay someone to do it for me.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
My build is mad messy. You won't be able to see what the hell is going on
If that's the case, it increases the chance something is wrong about one-hundred fold. Tidy it up and take/post pics, nobody is going to be able to offer substantive help to "yes it's all connected correctly".

Did it work with a bare board/cpu/cooler/ram on the table before you fitted it in the case? If you didn't try this, take it all apart and try this.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So I feel like upgrading the ram of my 4 year old PC from 16gb to 32gb. Problem is that the Mobo only supports 2133 mhz unless I OC, which I don't really want to do nor deal with. It's quite difficult to find 2133 ram, especially if I want to get the same sticks to match my old ones, so I'm thinking of just getting newer ones that have faster speeds to replace the old ones. The idea is to use these sticks for my future new PC eventually, which I should be building in a year or 2 probably.

Will there be any problems using ram that runs faster than supported by the Mobo?

all DDR4 RAM speeds over 2133 are "out of spec" and considered "overclocking". Don't worry about that. Are you saying enabling XMP forces some shitty optimizations on your CPU etc in the menus? Usually you can disable those.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
all DDR4 RAM speeds over 2133 are "out of spec" and considered "overclocking". Don't worry about that. Are you saying enabling XMP forces some shitty optimizations on your CPU etc in the menus? Usually you can disable those.

Thanks! I usually prefer to not make any changes unless I'm feeling adventurous. Maybe for my next build.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Okay quick question.

I updated my Ram yesterday to 2x8 3600 Corsair Vengeance. In HWMonitor I've got one module running at 47 degrees and the other one at a constant 17 degrees. Surely this can't be normal. I'm playing PoE and current memory usage is 7.4GB.

I've checked in CPU-Z and the memory is in Dual Channel.

Can anyone help me with this?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I was looking at nVME drives for my friend's build. If the mobo specs say this:
Intel® Z390 Chipset
  • 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports1
  • 1 x M.2 slot (Key M)
    • Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s, 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
    • Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready2

1. The SATA2 will be unavailable when installing M.2 SATA device into M.2 slot.
  2. Before using Intel® Optane™ memory modules, please ensure that you have updated the drivers and BIOS to the latest version from MSI website.
This drive (https://it.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-sa2000m8500g) should be compatible, right?

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, thanks for that link! That was very helpful. Looks like I need to try a couple of things to see if it settles down a little.

EDIT:
I ended up disabling the Core Performance Boost and another processor boost setting and all is great! Fan is consistent, CPU voltages/temps are much more consistent, but the performance hasn't been hit much at all. Seriously thank you for the link - that issue was the only thing bumming me out about my build
Some of the info on that post is outdated since they've mitigated some stuff in the meantime via chipset/bios updates, but the gist of it is that those boost fluctuations are normal and by design.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
So all I got left is some ram purchase and some case fans. I think I want to go RGB with some fans though the case I'm getting already comes with three. There any recommended RGB fans that are not Corsair. I might go with 2 140mm fans as a top exhaust and the 1 120 on the back. Was hoping Nexus has his review on the Lian Li Lancool II up but it's still a few weeks out before it ships to me.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I just did my first freesync setup so all this is fresh in memory. Yup the key point is vsync ON in Nvidia Control Panel global settings, and then in each game's options menu turn the game's own vsync option OFF. I know, it sounds weird to me too but basically you want the nvidia global setting to be in charge.

And yeah trying a new cable (like the best buy one I mentioned) doesn't hurt. I know when it came to HDMI cables I had numerous issues with non certified cables so I presume Displayport has the same quirks.
Turning V-Sync on like that did seem to improve things a bit... or maybe it's just placebo, haha. I'm still getting some occasional flickering on Destiny 2, though. I'll continue looking into it. I paid good money for this monitor, damn it, and I will use it properly! Hahaha.

I'll double-check if my cable is "certified" later as well. Can't hurt.

I've only had one game flicker on me, and that was Modern Warfare. I don't know if one of the various game patches they've done fixed the problem, but it hasn't happened again since I finished the single player campaign and moved on to multiplayer. Every other game I've played so far has exhibited no flickering whatsoever.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel, I had both G-SYNC and V-Sync enabled, and in Modern Warfare, I had the frame limiter turned on to 140 (or whatever number they have that is closest to 144). Was pretty annoying until it got fixed.
Did you ever try the Nvidia G-Sync pendulum demo? That's where the flickering was the most intense for me.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
I assume 17c is below ambient, so you can assume it's misread. Unless there's some other (real) problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I believe something like AIDA64 will allow you to compare memory bandwidth with similar systems.
Yeah, stop worrying about RAM temperature. Even if it is capable of measuring itself, which is a huge ? on what is it actually reading, it doesn't matter.

As long as you don't over-volt it to something like 1.45v, you shouldn't even care about RAM temps.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was surprised when I saw the ram temperatures in HWMonitor as my old modules weren't there for temperature.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I got a EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super today and performance is better then my 2060 but I'm having some problems and unsure if this is where I should ask.

My friend also got a RTX 2080 Super and can run Fallen Order at 4K/60/Max Settings but when I do the same I get 40s - 50s. His build is very similar with most of the differences being equivalent stuff.

I have:
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core
16GB of DDR4 @ 2400
ASUS Rog Strix B450-F Motherboard

According to what I could find the combo of the CPU/GPU should cause minimal bottlenecking.

Could this be a RAM issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.