• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Sorry if it has been asked before, but I am trying to finish a freinds computer and have been waiting to around this time to pick up an i9 9900k and a motherboard. Have everything else. Figured with intels newest additions there would be at least a small discount on at the very least a CPU/MoBo combo.

Anyone have any idea where the best retailer to go would be? Kind of eyeing the Amazon Combos currently.

Micro center if you luckily live by one.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I got an old workstation from work that was due to be retired. A Dell Precision T5810. The graphics card is a K620. My mate has given me a GTX 960 which will be a big improvement but not sure if it will work. For starters I need a 8 pin male to 6 pin male power cable and can't find one anywhere, its a long shot but anyone did anything similar or know where I could find that cable?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
amazon has the 3600x on sale for $200

and the 3800X on sale for $330

3800x says $340 but from the choose other options I was able to get $330 sold by amazon.

I know the 3800x is only slightly better than the 3700x but it include both borderlands and other worlds and not just one or the other so I figured I could sell the extra game to drop the price another 20-30

qLgrODf.png

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I do not plan to do this (unless I could offset most of the cost by selling my old hardware I guess) but just for my own curiosity, going from a 8600k to a Ryzen 5 3600 would be a colossal waste of money right? :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
yes. I don't see any significant difference between them unless you are doing something that utilizes all the cords of the ryzen 7.

and that's ignoring that you would likely need a new motherboard as well.

edit: wait I got the wrong i7.

Userbenchmark is know to be garbage and de-emphasise multicore performance.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
as far as I can tell....
[/URL]

yes. I don't see any significant difference between them unless you are doing something that utilizes all the cords of the ryzen 7.

and that's ignoring that you would likely need a new motherboard as well.

edit: wait I got the wrong i7.

Yeah mine is a 6 core 6 threads i5, I got it because at August last year when I had to upgrade it felt like the safest bet and nobody could have foreseen just how great Ryzen Gen 3 would be. I know I need a new board too but I'm really just toying with the idea in a sense of: "What if someone would have the need of a new CPU and mainboard and the 8600k would do them fine?" :P

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Userbenchmark is know to be garbage and de-emphasise multicore performance.
that may be true, but I had the wrong comparison anyways. the 3600 in general should be about on par with the 8600k as far as I know. it would be a sideways move. at least the 3800x would be an improvement :P

granted I'm tired, and most of my knowledge is just from researching the last month on what to get lol.

MaxDOL

Oct 31, 2017
I have question about RAM.

I want to increase more RAM for my new pre-build rig. The mainboard's chipset is AMD® B450 with 1 free RAM's slots.
Another slot is occupied by Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHZ.(This model https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC4-21300-2666MHZ-desktop-memory/dp/B07F72RJYN)

My questions are
1.Do I really need the same exact RAM model, same brand, same speed?In order to avoid Windows's blue screen and to make dual channel memory work.
2.Do I need the new RAM to has the same memory capacity(8GB) or can I put more memory for example 16GB? And if I can put more memory will dual channel memory work?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
that may be true, but I had the wrong comparison anyways. the 3600 in general should be about on par with the 8600k as far as I know. it would be a sideways move. at least the 3800x would be an improvement :P

granted I'm tired, and most of my knowledge is just from researching the last month on what to get lol.

Yeah but a 3800x wouldn't be worth the money for me at this point. I guess I'll wait if someone around me is in the market for a 8600k if not I'll keep riding on this Intel train even though I want off :P

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Got the Rog strix 2070S and added a corsair vengeance pro 2x8 at 3200mhz sticks. I must say playing Metro Exodus at ultra with RTX on and stable 60fps makes the game an entirely different game. Really happy with how my rig is looking and turned out.

77239354_570887937008164_5536205409955610624_n.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I need to buy a couple case fans, what am I looking for exactly? I dont need RGB but other then that Im lost.

• First u need to check the size: 120mm or 140mm, whatever fits.
• Second you need to decide on budget/longevity: do you want to reuse these fans for 10+ years?
• Finally, there are some regional differences in pricing/availability, but generally:
Arctic < Fractal < Be Quiet < Noctua
• Optional cosmetics: some fans are black, some are white, some mixed. Decide if it matters.

If you want the fans to last long, then you have to get at least Fractal GP X2 series or Be Quiet/Noctua. Arctic are good for one build, but their lifetime is half or third of the best. Long life premium fans cost 2-3x more, but they also last that much longer while providing generally better performance/acoustics.

Once you decide on something, post it here and either people will thumbs up or offer you an alternative

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've decided on :

Motherboard : Asus X570 TUF Gaming WiFi (don't need the wifi, but need the blueetooth) : about 245€ in my country, the non wifi version is like 200 :\
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600X : about 225€
Asus 1660 ti : About 275€
2*16gb DDR4 About 130€
Samsung 970 evo nvme 500gb : about 125€

Don't know if I can get better prices online (only interested in EU sites obviously), still waiting for some BF deals.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
amazon has the 3600x on sale for $200

and the 3800X on sale for $330

3800x says $340 but from the choose other options I was able to get $330 sold by amazon.

I know the 3800x is only slightly better than the 3700x but it include both borderlands and other worlds and not just one or the other so I figured I could sell the extra game to drop the price another 20-30

qLgrODf.png
HMm that's a good point. Was wondering if I should wait for the 3700x to go on sale but the cheapest it's been is ~310 with the add-ons so may be just a wash at this point.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Thanks for the response. Do you think it's worth me upgrading from my b350 to one of these newer mobos? And would I be getting big gains going from 16gbs of 2800 ram to 3600?

Sorry for not responding earlier. I don't have personal experience with B350 motherboards so I can't answer for myself. The larger overall concern with this generational shift is probably power delivery and management From my reading of reviews. I'm not sure how significant this is if you update your BIOS/firmware, plug in a new Ryzen, and just use it at default speeds. I think the hive mind can help you if you specifically ID your board!

Or, you could just buy a new board at a good price and eBay the old one if you decide to move on up.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Thinking about finally upgrading my PC (i5-6500K + GTX1060). What do I need GPU and CPU wise to get to comfortably beat the PS5 and new Xbox without spending silly amounts (total spend sub £1200)? Basically want that next gen experience now. Is it possible

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
So question regarding SSDs. I bought a 2nd SSD drive purely for installing games a while ago. I'm starting to run out of space more often now, so I'm thinking of buying a 3rd SSD. Would there be problems if I unplug my 2nd SSD and swap it with a 3rd SSD? Would there be an issue if a swap my 2nd one back in?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about finally upgrading my PC (i5-6500K + GTX1060). What do I need GPU and CPU wise to get to comfortably beat the PS5 and new Xbox without spending silly amounts (total spend sub £1200)? Basically want that next gen experience now. Is it possible
3700x and 2080 or 2070s will do that. You could probably get by for less but thats hard to say right now. If you want to beat nextgen you should just wait. Your pc can play current stuff decently still.

IAchilleasI

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of any good chiclet keyboards suitable both for gaming and long hours of typing?
I've been using the Razer Deathstalker 2014 and it's great, but getting old now.

23-114-054-06.jpg

Chiclet isn't a necessity, I'm more interested in quietness and low actuation force.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Think I'll be grabbing that i7-9700k for 299.
Still torn about what GPU to choose. I'd like to max settings at 1440p. Maybe 4K since I don't play the latest games. Usually several years old.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does PC Building Simulator have a good selection of cases and is it updated frequently with new models? Is it viable for getting an idea of how you want to lay things out for a custom loop? Do they have the new style flat reservoir/pump combos? I'm trying to get myself ready for the NVDA 3000 series next year and I want to have components ready to go to have my build not take so long like last time.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of any good chiclet keyboards suitable both for gaming and long hours of typing?
I've been using the Razer Deathstalker 2014 and it's great, but getting old now.

23-114-054-06.jpg

Chiclet isn't a necessity, I'm more interested in quietness and low actuation force.
Grab a Razer Ornata Chroma. It's $55 right now on Razer's website. Uses "mecha-membrane" switches so it's not loud and doesn't have big travel distance. They also have the Cynosa which is a membrane keyboard for $35.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I've currently got a WD blue SSD as my boot drive for my PC but I want to supplement this with a larger storage drive. I'm looking at the 6TB WD black HDD but can anyone advise something better with similar capacity? (Reliability, speed and storage).

Also is it worth at the same time changing my ssd boot drive to an M.2 drive instead?

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hive mind can help you if you specifically ID your board!

Or, you could just buy a new board at a good price and eBay the old one if you decide to move on up.

Thanks! This is my current Mobo, the GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3. Just got a Ryzen 3600. Wondering if upgrading my mobo (with a potential RAM speed upgrade too) is worth it. Here are two I was considering; ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 (109.99 after MIR), ASUS Prime X470-Pro ($114.99). Any advice from anyone on the potential gains I'd be getting would be appreciated! Also here's my current RAM if that helps things.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Does PC Building Simulator have a good selection of cases and is it updated frequently with new models? Is it viable for getting an idea of how you want to lay things out for a custom loop? Do they have the new style flat reservoir/pump combos? I'm trying to get myself ready for the NVDA 3000 series next year and I want to have components ready to go to have my build not take so long like last time.
Paging Zexion

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
It has a semi decent collection from NZXT and other major companies but it's iffy

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I know it pops up almost every page or so but I've been looking at monitors and I'm still undecided which way to go. I want one that is good for gaming but if I'm being honest with myself, I'm gaming less and less these days and I'm watching more and more Blu-ray's that I've ripped so I'm looking for good black levels too. Everything I've seen says VA panels are best for that but the ghosting sounds like something that would really bother me. I definitely want to something with 144hz too.

Daily use I'm mainly browsing the web, with watching videos behind that, and gaming behind that. I'm eyeing the Acer Predator XB271HU since it's on sale today but I'm debating wondering if better deals will show up tomorrow. My PC arrives this coming Wednesday and I have a 2070 Super in it so I'm assuming I'll be pretty good with whatever.

I almost pulled the plug on PG279q from ASUS when it was $500 on Microcenter but I waited too long and I don't live near any so it was online only for me.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Is it worth it though? I've gone back and forth between the two.
Looks like you already went for it, but I think the answer is a solid yes unless you really, really cared about having a low TDP. For $2 you gained 300 MHz base clock, which all other things being equal, is going to be more head room for games that benefit from single core performance.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like you already went for it, but I think the answer is a solid yes unless you really, really cared about having a low TDP. For $2 you gained 300 MHz base clock, which all other things being equal, is going to be more head room for games that benefit from single core performance.

My PSU is a 750w Gold so I'm good on the power of things. Plus the games it comes with I'm just going to resell here to bring the cost down some more. I see it as a win win. Now to wait and see if that TUF Mobo and some 3600 ram gets any deals in the next week.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
It's a shame you can't squeeze a Ryzen 5 3600 into the budget but otherwise that looks alright.
would it be reasonable to pass the savings onto an ssd over an hdd in 2019? i still need to figure out storage.

i went overkill on the psu because i want to leave a simple upgrade path and it was stressed to me to never make budget cuts on the psu the first time i built a pc. as for ram, it stung making the choice of 8gb over 16gb, yeah.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
would it be reasonable to pass the savings onto an ssd over an hdd in 2019? i still need to figure out storage.

i went overkill on the psu because i want to leave a simple upgrade path and it was stressed to me to never make budget cuts on the psu the first time i built a pc. as for ram, it stung making the choice of 8gb over 16gb, yeah.

Well you should atleast have a very small SSD in any build, 120gb is enough to house an OS. A pure HDD based build is never a good idea.

Oct 27, 2017

Upgrade path to what? 3950X and 2080Ti?

Come on, you are building a 300W system at best. You are misusing the funds going for 650W instead of 16Gb RAM. Plus it is a bronze PSU, you would save a couple of dollars every year running a Gold one.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you're building a PC in 2019 you *must* include an SSD. This should be, 100%, non-negotiable.

I agree. It's going to be a soft requirement for next gen games due to next gen consoles, and even beside that, it's just such a huge quality of life difference. It would really be a waste to spend $1000 on a PC and bottleneck (strong language but you get what I mean) it with HDDs only.

Status
Not open for further replies.