• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
So on my 3700x build I really haven't been happy so far with the Wraith Spire CPU fan, but i really don't know much about CPU fans in general. (My CPU runs in the high 70s when under load and high 50s when idle and the fan is always audible. I think I can do better.)

What would be a good replacement for it that runs quieter/cooler without breaking the bank? I'm not really planning on overclocking (much, if any) if that helps.

Depends on how much you want to spend. All the Corsair, NZXT, Deepcool for AIO is good. Noctua is great for air.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys! Thank you for past recommendations, many kind people here. Wondering about this built? 1080p60fps and maybe doing 1440p 60. I initially had a bigger budget, but it seems I needed to stay between the $600~$750 range.
Please notice this is only for CPU, GPU, RAM and motherboard.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99
ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card $349.99

I need a motherboard recommendation as well pls.

Thank you in advance!!

You definitely want a b450 board.

I purchased this one for my build, has been great. Price has dropped from $85 when I bought it. It's mATX so you lose a few PCie slots, but I never use them so i'm good.

Here is a list of b450 boards if you wanna look around.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=133&sort=price&f=2,7

So on my 3700x build I really haven't been happy so far with the Wraith Spire CPU fan, but i really don't know much about CPU fans in general. (My CPU runs in the high 70s when under load and high 50s when idle and the fan is always audible. I think I can do better.)

What would be a good replacement for it that runs quieter/cooler without breaking the bank? I'm not really planning on overclocking (much, if any) if that helps.

I purchased this one about a month ago, main reason is because I found the stock fan on my 3600x to be loud as hell.

Even comes with a nice screwdriver to install. I wanted to spend about $50 on my cooler and i'm happy. Very easy install too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not looking to overclock, One or Two M.2 slots is plenty. I guess I've been pretty tunnel visioned on the newer MB releases and completely forgot that they're not the only ones able to run the new ryzen CPUs. Man it's a headache lol

I would recommend Asus TUF X570 or that Gigabyte with 3900X.

Unless you are in the super budget mode, which 3900X + D15 are not, there is no reason to go for the cheapest Mobo that is still capable of running 3900X. I don't think that it is a good idea to put 3900X into B450, even if it supports it and VRM doesn't overheat. Just pay $90 or whatever difference there is.

Hello guys! Thank you for past recommendations, many kind people here. Wondering about this built? 1080p60fps and maybe doing 1440p 60. I initially had a bigger budget, but it seems I needed to stay between the $600~$750 range.
Please notice this is only for CPU, GPU, RAM and motherboard.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99
ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card $349.99

I need a motherboard recommendation as well pls.

Thank you in advance!!

B450 Mortar Max
(or another B450 Max board like Tomahawk, Gaming or Carbon Pro)

CM 212 Black < Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo < Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B.

[edit] 3 out of 4 Era posters just recommend this so it must be the one to go with.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017

I have a Dark Rock Slim (slim because the bigger ones cover some ram slots on my B450 Carbon) and it's great. I didn't even change the stock fan curve because it was basically inaudible already and it can't go past 70C using Cinebench. I didn't use the stock paste but some Arctic MX-4.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me understand the difference between pairing a 3700x with a b450 (tomahawk?) board vs. something like an x570? Are there any inherent issues with the former?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Can anyone help me understand the difference between pairing a 3700x with a b450 (tomahawk?) board vs. something like an x570? Are there any inherent issues with the former?
Only select B450 boards (usually named "B450 MAX") are guaranteed compatible with 3000-series chips out of the box. (Some non-MAX boards might not have a new enough BIOS installed, and only a few support BIOS Flashback to install an update without a compatible CPU.)

Most (?) X570 boards support PCI-E 4.0 (though there's not a lot you can do with that support today), and have active chipset cooling (fan on the board). X570 boards also carry a price premium over B450's, though the price of entry isn't as high as it was when they first launched.

Basically B450 MAX = a bit cheaper; X570 = a bit more future proof.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So a friend I know can sell me his i9 9900k at a good price. Think I'll get it and replace my i5 8600k. Now I know my mobo is a z370 but can't remember right now which it is specifically. So, regardless of that, should I keep with the z370 (and bios update if required) or get a new z390 instead? Been trying to get my head around the whole VRM and temps etc. Not sure if I want to OC the i9 9900k (my i5 8600k is OC'd to 4.8ghz) but if I do want to OC the i9 maybe the z390 is best?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to get a NVMe M2 drive? I'm seeing deals for SATA3 SSDs. I want a 1TB drive. When would the benefits of a NVMe M2 drive be noticeable?

I'm not sure what prices you're seeing or considering, but you can get a 1tb m.2 nvme drive for about $100 to $120 easily. This drive is a fantastic one with good performance:

And it's $118. I'm using it currently for my OS drive. Even ignoring the speeds, using a m.2 drive means you don't have to worry about cables since it'll plug into your board. That alone is worth it in my opinion.

Oct 29, 2017
To add to what wraith said, on paper the difference between B450 and X470 was that B450 didn't support SLI. And what X570 adds is PCIe 4.
But on practice the other difference is that by virtue of them just being more expensive boards, they often have bigger VRMs that are better equipped for the higher core count CPUs. Not an issue because the Tomahawk is an excellent board among the B450, but most of the cheaper ones I wouldn't recommend pairing with the 3700X.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure what prices you're seeing or considering, but you can get a 1tb m.2 nvme drive for about $100 to $120 easily. This drive is a fantastic one with good performance:

And it's $118. I'm using it currently for my OS drive. Even ignoring the speeds, using a m.2 drive means you don't have to worry about cables since it'll plug into your board. That alone is worth it in my opinion.
I'm thinking of getting this:

A microcenter Inland Premium 1TB drive For $100. I'm seeing 1TB SATA3 SSDs for about $10-20 less than NVMe M2 drives. I don't really game that much on the PC. And I don't do very many intensive things.I do photography, and video editing. But for that... I'll have a 8-12TB drive. Just want faster apps.

Oct 29, 2017
So a friend I know can sell me his i9 9900k at a good price. Think I'll get it and replace my i5 8600k. Now I know my mobo is a z370 but can't remember right now which it is specifically. So, regardless of that, should I keep with the z370 (and bios update if required) or get a new z390 instead? Been trying to get my head around the whole VRM and temps etc. Not sure if I want to OC the i9 9900k (my i5 8600k is OC'd to 4.8ghz) but if I do want to OC the i9 maybe the z390 is best?
While z390 are in general aimed at the 9900K, z370 are not necessarily unequipped for it.
Can you find your mobo on this VRM tier list?

Shantom

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a friend who'd like to change his CPU, motherboard, and RAM. He's hoping to just be able to essentially move everything into the new case, attach it to the new motherboard, plug in his hard drives, and use his existing Windows 10 installation. He wants to know if installing the drivers for the new components removes the old ones and overwrites them, or will he need to uninstall all his old drivers first? He'll be going from an Intel i5-3570k to an AMD Ryzen 3600X.

Also, I've just built a new PC myself and my 2nd monitor isn't picking up a signal from it. I've tried both a GPU HDMI port and the motherboard DVI port. Both the Windows settings and the Radeon settings only see the one monitor. Anything that could be causing this? The monitor is a Benq XL2411.

Oct 29, 2017

A microcenter Inland Premium 1TB drive For $100. I'm seeing 1TB SATA3 SSDs for about $10-20 less than NVMe M2 drives. I don't really game that much on the PC. And I don't do very many intensive things.I do photography, and video editing. But for that... I'll have a 8-12TB drive. Just want faster apps.
For a OS drive and to install software the 660p is perfectly fine and faster than SATA drives. For $82 it is hard to beat.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

This guy directly compares the 660p and the Inland Premium.

I just went with the inland because it was only a $10 difference for the 1TB versions when I bought it.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a friend who'd like to change his CPU, motherboard, and RAM. He's hoping to just be able to essentially move everything into the new case, attach it to the new motherboard, plug in his hard drives, and use his existing Windows 10 installation. He wants to know if installing the drivers for the new components removes the old ones and overwrites them, or will he need to uninstall all his old drivers first? He'll be going from an Intel i5-3570k to an AMD Ryzen 3600X.

Also, I've just built a new PC myself and my 2nd monitor isn't picking up a signal from it. I've tried both a GPU HDMI port and the motherboard DVI port. Both the Windows settings and the Radeon settings only see the one monitor. Anything that could be causing this? The monitor is a Benq XL2411.

First part, when building a new computer ALWAYS do a fresh install of Windows 10.

As for your monitor, if you've tried ports and they are not working, try another connection? Do you have the same connection with the working monitor to try? If that still doesn't work maybe a bad monitor however testing a different type of connection would be good to try as well.

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Ended up biting the bullet on Newegg sales today.

MSI 2080 Super
Ryzen 3700X
Ripjaws RAM 16GB
Gigabyte X570 Aorus
Rosewill 850w PSU
1TB Samsung 970
Rosewill ATX mid tower

all for about $1600ish.

Oct 29, 2017
Now that almost all the Ryzen 3000 series is out, do you guys think AMD simply giving better silicon the higher the core count?

I sure wasn't expecting single thread performance to increase with core count back in June. One thing was seeing the 3950X beat the 3900X, which beat the 3700X, another is seeing the 3970X and 3960X beat the 3900X and 3700X.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering what the best thing for me to update right now is? Mostly game but do some video editing occasionally as well. I have a ryzen 1600, 16gb ram (ddr4 2800) and a 1080.
Anyone have any thoughts on what I should be upgrading first? I can give more specifics about the parts I have it that helps. Should also say that I'd want to stay in the ryzen family with a 3600 or better.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that almost all the Ryzen 3000 series is out, do you guys think AMD simply giving better silicon the higher the core count?

I sure wasn't expecting single thread performance to increase with core count back in June. One thing was seeing the 3950X beat the 3900X, which beat the 3700X, another is seeing the 3970X and 3960X beat the 3900X and 3700X.

Higher tier CPUs are advertised as faster clocks, so whether 3600/3700X are inferior chiplets of 3900X/3950X doesn't really matter.

And the difference is small, like "who cares" small. Though my 3600 is very good, even in early August before all the BIOS updates, I was getting 4.2Ghz single/4.11Ghz all core boost... Some people aren't as lucky and they ended up with barely 4Ghz or less all core boost.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have any thoughts on what I should be upgrading first? I can give more specifics about the parts I have it that helps.
CPU. Right now there isn't a noticeably big GPU upgrade over the 1080 for less than a ~$500 2070 SUPER and ~$700 2080, while you can get a pretty worthwhile CPU upgrades around $200 like the Ryzen 3600 or the $330 3700X.

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Stayed up all night waiting for the 3950x to go on sale, fell asleep 20 minutes before it went live. Fuck me..

For those who went through this with the 3900x, how often does stock update on say amazon and Newegg?

for instance, I shouldn't be refreshing the pages today right? Next week maybe?

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Ready to snipe a monitor around Black Friday or this weekend. 27" 1440p/144hz, preferably IPS. Should I be targeting the LG 27GL850B or 83A? Want to stay in the $300-400 range if possible.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to snipe a monitor around Black Friday or this weekend. 27" 1440p/144hz, preferably IPS. Should I be targeting the LG 27GL850B or 83A? Want to stay in the $300-400 range if possible.
I've been spending some of today looking into this. I'll most likley go with the the LH 27GL83A. It looks like $380 is the regular price. I'm willing to wait to see if they drop it by $50, but I wonder if it ends up getting sold out like like the 850 has...

I was looking at this vs the Pixio Prime

Pixio is a bit more expensive.

Here's another older monitor from Acer that is selling for just $300 at microcenter. For some reason there aren't in depth reviews on this. Based off Microcenter reviews, people seem to to like it though...

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been spending some of today looking into this. I'll most likley go with the the LH 27GL83A. It looks like $380 is the regular price. I'm willing to wait to see if they drop it by $50, but I wonder if it ends up getting sold out like like the 850 has...

I was looking at this vs the Pixio Prime

Pixio is a bit more expensive.

Here's another older monitor from Acer that is selling for just $300 at microcenter. For some reason there aren't in depth reviews on this. Based off Microcenter reviews, people seem to to like it though...

I have the XF270HU - it's actually a XF270HUA - and I recommend it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to expect a ton of better gaming monitors in 2020 right? I don't care about 240hz for 1440P. I'm not a professional gamer. My only regret will be if some IPS monitor with significantly better black levels comes out.

Regardless, when upgrade my TV next year (likely will be an OLED), it will put everything other display I have to shame (except for my Galaxy S10)

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone else has recomendations for gaming screen with VA panels, I'd be glad to hear them.

I'm not too knowledgeable about monitors but there's nothing wrong with VA and this monitor might fit your bill: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-Adjustment-Optix-MAG271CQR/dp/B07RPFZPS9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3JRGQ5695QMXC&keywords=msi+optix+mag271cqr&qid=1561314615&s=gateway&sprefix=MSI+Optix+MAG271,aps,215&sr=8-1

I'm using the 1080p version and have no complains other than a bit backlight-bleed but I only see that on a pure black scrreen. Freesync in G-Sync compatibility mode also works like a charm with my GTX 1070.

Thanks for the suggestion! Nice to hear that Freesync works with Nvidia cards too on this monitor. I'm a bit worried about the light bleed, but then again most screen suffers from it in some way.

I take it your satisfied with the screen if you're mentioning it. Are the black levels satisfying? If you look at a pure black screen, does it look actually black or is it still somewhat gray-ish?

My only regret will be if some IPS monitor with significantly better black levels comes out.

I see I'm not the only one shopping for a new monitor with good black levels 👀

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have the XF270HU - it's actually a XF270HUA - and I recommend it.

how's the backlight bleed? it looks like this one can swivel, where the LG can't (not a deal breaker, but something I noticed).

I really wish rtings would have went and reviewed this with their own analysis so it could help me with comparisons.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
And the part purchasing begins.

Sweet deal on the Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler. $69.90 on Newegg right now.

And pre-ordered the Lian Li Lancool II WHITE. I may later on see if I can order me one of their LED strips cause that makes the case look super sexy with color.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Intel really is in trouble with their HEDT line. There's no reason to buy a 10980XE over a 3960x or 3970x. Crazy.
The tables turned finally and now we as consumers are winning. I love Intel but AMD has won me over and I'll be going with a 3900x early next year.
Try benchmarks in games and monitor your CPU and GPU usage. If it keeps hitting CPU 100% constantly then you most likely have a CPU bottleneck.

If you have Shadow of the Tomb Raider it has a good benchmark that will tell you how much you are GPU bottlenecked. With a 6600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2080 Ti, it went something like this:
  • Completely CPU bottlenecked at 1080p / 144 Hz
  • About 30% CPU bottlenecked at 1440p / 144 Hz
  • About 9% CPU bottlenecked at 4K / DSR
  • Completely GPU bottlenecked at 4K + raytracing
After moving to a Ryzen 3700X it's now pretty much GPU bottlenecked in all situations. Overall I got a roughly 20 fps boost in minimum framerates while average and max stayed about the same. Perceivedly the game just ran smoother.
That there is an awesome feeling. I remember feeling that when I got the 3930k or any higher end CPU upgrade in the past.

Which brings me my own question; I have a Phanteks Eclipse P300, what is the best AIO and air cooler I reasonable could/should get for a 3900x?

As you can see by the link, it has room for a single fan AIO and not then fancy 240/360mm rads but I still want to try and run good temps as well as OC a little.

Thanks in advance.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017

If there's specific software like special control panels or whatever for those old devices then those will need to be uninstalled manually, but Windows is smart enough to detect hardware changes and deactivate drivers for hardware that's no longer attached.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I need help, I bought an SSD I'd like to add to my PC. I currently have an SSD and a HDD installed. My issue is, I don't see a spare Power cable to connect it to. All the cables are used by my Corsair fans and NZXT cooler along with the already mentioned storage devices.
I have an EVGA 650W G3 (which has 2 SATA plug ins.

Would buying a splitter for a Sata cable work?
I didn't realize I would run into a problem, it doesn't help that my corsair fans took up my power.

UPDATE: I think I just read I can use the PERIF1 slot in my CPU as an addition Sata cable connection since its interchangable and actually meant for things such as the fans and AIO.
I'll just have to buy an extra cable. I'll update here for reference later.

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, does anyone know the name of the little plastic bracket things that the metal CPU fan bar thing latches onto? I've lost mine I think and am going to have to buy new ones for my B350M-A, but I can't search for them if I don't know what they're called.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

It looks like people already gave you a good answer but to reiterate, for games it won't matter much. The only area where it might have a performance impact is with video editing but without a point of reference, you'd probably be fine with it.. In general though, for day to day usage, that Intel 660p should be fine.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It looks like people already gave you a good answer but to reiterate, for games it won't matter much. The only area where it might have a performance impact is with video editing but without a point of reference, you'd probably be fine with it.. In general though, for day to day usage, that Intel 660p should be fine.
I'm using 6-7 year old platter drives. Anything solid state will be a big leap.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure this is the right place to ask, but looking for a prebuilt gaming pc for my son. He's 10. Budget is around 750 or less, not including the monitor. Any suggestions? I'm not knowledgeable enough nor patient enough to order a bunch of different parts and build myself.

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure this is the right place to ask, but looking for a prebuilt gaming pc for my son. He's 10. Budget is around 750 or less, not including the monitor. Any suggestions? I'm not knowledgeable enough nor patient enough to order a bunch of different parts and build myself.
There are different pre-builts brands like CyberpowerPC, iBuypower, Xidax, SkyTech, among others (these are american ones) that are sold through their own online stores, but also through retailers like amazon, and they use off the shelves parts, making them a convenient choice if you plan to upgrade parts in the future. Retailers often have deals on them that are cheaper than going to their website and configuring a machine yourself.

These brands and the configurations available will depend on the stores in your country, but in broad terms, for $750 (considering deals) you are looking for a system that at least has:
- 8GB of RAM
- For storage a 240GB or 256GB SSD, with an additional 1TB HDD.
- For GPU a Radeon RX 580 or GTX 1650 SUPER (plain 1650 is not a good performance for its price). If there are some very good deal you may find an RX 590, GTX 1660, or GTX 1660 ti.
- For CPU an i5 9400F or R5 3600. (A system with the older R5 2600 would be fine, just that there has already been deals on systems with the R5 3600)

There was a thread a few weeks ago in which someone got a system with a R5 3600 with an RX 580 from ~$600 from Best Buy. (something similar to this one but with a discount)
edit: here's a decent deal.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
watch for computers on like slickdeals. there are front page deals popping up pretty frequently this time of year.
There are different prebuilts brands like CyberpowerPC, iBuypower, Xidax, SkyTech, among others (these are american ones) that are sold through their own online stores, but also through retailers like amazon, and they use off the shelves parts, making them a convenient choice if you plan to upgrade parts in the future. Retailers often have deals on them that are cheaper than going to their website and configuring a machine yourself.

These brands and the configurations available will depend on the stores in your country, but in broad terms, for $750 (considering deals) you are looking for a system that at least has:
- 8GB of RAM
- For storage a 240GB or 256GB SSD, with an additional 1TB HDD.
- For GPU a Radeon RX 580 or GTX 1650 SUPER (plain 1650 is not a good performance for its price). If there are some very good deal you may find an RX 590, GTX 1660, or GTX 1660 ti.
- For CPU an i5 9400F or R5 3600. (A system with the older R5 2600 would be fine, just that there has already been deals on systems with the R5 3600)

There was a thread a few weeks ago in which someone got a system with a R5 3600 with an RX 580 from ~$600 from Best Buy. (something similar to this one but with a discount)

edit: here's a decent deal.
that deal was the one I was about to post as it seemed to be the best live one right now.
granted there might be something even better in 2-3 days.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
hi guys, need an advice. a friend of mine is selling me his gigabyte 1080 windforce at $350, not just that but he need the money right away and gave him the other part later. so basically the card at 175 bucks. already have a zotac 980 xtreme and i was thinking to upgrade (all rig) but with that gpu maybe i'll wait next year.

i7 4770k @4.4
16gb 1600mhz
zotac gtx 980 xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.