• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Consider the Fractal Node 202. It has generous GPU dimensions given the overall compact size of the case.

Hope that helps :)
Very slick! Do you have recommendations on GPUs which could fit within this form factor? I see the "GPU max dimensions" spec but I'm not sure how to specifically search for GPUs of that size, rather than navigating to each individual GPU page and checking its specs from there.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is it reasonable to expect that the new Ampere Nvidia GPUs will actually be out by June? I want to wait for them rather than getting a 2070 or 2080 Super now, but June is already the upper limit of my patience. Is it realistic to expect June?

Rumors say June but rumors always have an element of wishful thinking to them. If June became September or something I know that I would be annoyed that I sat in my 980 ti for months instead of just upgrading.

Nov 3, 2017
Okay, I just looked at my mainboard specs. It says that the PCI-E port supports "up to 2.0 when a Sandy Bridge CPU is installed". That means newer cards are worthless on this board, right? Bc. most cards I looked at need PCI-E 3.0.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I just looked at my mainboard specs. It says that the PCI-E port supports "up to 2.0 when a Sandy Bridge CPU is installed". That means newer cards are worthless on this board, right? Bc. most cards I looked at need PCI-E 3.0.

PCI-e is generally compatible between versions. The card will just not be able to operate at its maximum bus speed.

How that will impact performance I can't say.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering what the best thing for me to update right now is? Mostly game but do some video editing occasionally as well. I have a ryzen 1600, 16gb ram (ddr4 2800) and a 1080.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Is it reasonable to expect that the new Ampere Nvidia GPUs will actually be out by June? I want to wait for them rather than getting a 2070 or 2080 Super now, but June is already the upper limit of my patience. Is it realistic to expect June?

Rumors say June but rumors always have an element of wishful thinking to them. If June became September or something I know that I would be annoyed that I sat in my 980 ti for months instead of just upgrading.

Out, maybe. Available in stores, probably not. Usually when a new GPU range gets released it's in short supply for a few months. Best case scenario is that it is actually available to buy in June and reasonably stocked.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Wait....you are saying that card is not going to work? FUCK...I just ordered it based on what you said before your edit.

I meant that Asmedia 3.0, which is built into your board, doesn't work with oculus for some reason. Buying an addon card should fix that.

I believe you want the 4 x USB 3.0 version of the addon card you linked since the rift S doesn't use type-c right?

The card also requires external power, either molex or sata. You should have this with your power supply.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Hmm, but will it cripple me and make it a nonsensical to buy that card for this board or can i go with it? Hard to say without testing it, I guess.
You'd probably see a slight performance hit (vs. running an equivalent CPU with a board that does 3.0 x16), but far from "crippling."

This 2015 article with a GTX 980 show 2-3% performance hit on 2.0 vs. 3.0 x16, and also notes:
In fact PCIe Gen 3.0 x8 would in fact be PCIe Gen 2.0 x16 as bandwidth simple doubles.

This 2019 article suggests "a (small) platform bottleneck with the RTX 2080 ti" on 2.0 x16. Though they didn't test the card at 2.0 x16, they did test at 3.0 x8 and found:
a small but tangible 2%–3% performance gain when going from gen 3.0 x8 to gen 3.0 x16, across resolutions
So if you're looking at a card that isn't a monster like the 2080 ti, probably not a big hit. May just be limited by your CPU for now, but hey, you can bring the card forward when you eventually upgrade cpu/board/RAM.

Nov 3, 2017
You'd probably see a slight performance hit (vs. running an equivalent CPU with a board that does 3.0 x16), but far from "crippling."

This 2015 article with a GTX 980 show 2-3% performance hit on 2.0 vs. 3.0, and also notes:

This 2019 article suggests "a (small) platform bottleneck with the RTX 2080 ti" on 2.0 x16. Though they didn't test the card at 2.0 x16, they did test at 3.0 x8 and found:
Cool, thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
Try benchmarks in games and monitor your CPU and GPU usage. If it keeps hitting CPU 100% constantly then you most likely have a CPU bottleneck.

If you have Shadow of the Tomb Raider it has a good benchmark that will tell you how much you are GPU bottlenecked. With a 6600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2080 Ti, it went something like this:
  • Completely CPU bottlenecked at 1080p / 144 Hz
  • About 30% CPU bottlenecked at 1440p / 144 Hz
  • About 9% CPU bottlenecked at 4K / DSR
  • Completely GPU bottlenecked at 4K + raytracing
After moving to a Ryzen 3700X it's now pretty much GPU bottlenecked in all situations. Overall I got a roughly 20 fps boost in minimum framerates while average and max stayed about the same. Perceivedly the game just ran smoother.
Thank you. I went through my games, and looks like Gears of War 5 is the only new game I have with a built-in benchmark. I'm re-installing it now to use since I don't own Tomb Raider. Hopefully it is decent?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I meant that Asmedia 3.0, which is built into your board, doesn't work with oculus for some reason. Buying an addon card should fix that.

I believe you want the 4 x USB 3.0 version of the addon card you linked since the rift S doesn't use type-c right?

The card also requires external power, either molex or sata. You should have this with your power supply.[/URL]
Thank you again. The reason I posted the link to the other one is that I am thinking of getting the Oculus Quest and with the Link cable it would use the Type C. But if I were to get the Rift S would the card I linked earlier still work? From what I am researching the "S" only needs one USB 3.0 port.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm sure you know, but a 1660 ti is a pretty decent upgrade over a 1060 3GB.

As for RAM, yeah, no current gen boards support DDR3. Everything's DDR4 now. The small window where some boards on the same socket/chipset did DDR3 and some did DDR4 is long gone.
yeah, I realize that. what i meant was, sticking with a GTX-line for now. If I had a 6GB 1060, I'd have kept it for a few more years and then grabbed an RTX once they've matured and next-gen specs are out in the wild.
1660 TI is an improvement, but still a budget (300-400 CAD) one, as opposed to a massive investment.

basically, i need a mobo+CPU+RAM combo that won't break the bank, since everything else I already have.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The Brooklyn microcenter told me I got the last 3950X they had in stock. :)

The guy tried really hard to upsell me on faster RAM. My current RAM is 3600 Mhz CL19. (It may be possible to overclock it faster, I've never tried.)

I should be basically fine, right? I know the latency is slightly higher than what's considered ideal, but I'd rather not get all new sticks.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you again. The reason I posted the link to the other one is that I am thinking of getting the Oculus Quest and with the Link cable it would use the Type C. But if I were to get the Rift S would the card I linked earlier still work? From what I am researching the "S" only needs one USB 3.0 port.

Your CPU is old as shit. It's from 2011. Get an Oculus Quest and enjoy standalone VR for now while people figure out which usb-c ports works, which usb-c cables work for oculus quest, it's the wild west out there right now. Put a few hundred (if you are loving VR) into upgrading your PC then use your quest with it.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Your CPU is old as shit. It's from 2011. Get an Oculus Quest and enjoy standalone VR for now while people figure out which usb-c ports works, which usb-c cables work, it's the wild west out there right now. Put a few hundred into upgrading your PC.
Yeah the quest is what I am leaning towards. But I just ran the Steam VR ready app and my PC is rated as Very High, with no frame drops at all and Steam VR Ready app says that I am above all stuff with the exception of the USB port since it does not test that. It even said that with my PC I could run stuff higher with something they call Adaptive performance or something like that.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Man, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a new system - mainly because I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what motherboard I should get. Looking at a ryzen 3900x, but MB differences are making my head spin...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zN4Ff9

Is what I'm looking at right now, with storage figured out and GPU put on the back burner for a little while.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the quest is what I am leaning towards. But I just ran the Steam VR ready app and my PC is rated as Very High, with no frame drops at all and Steam VR Ready app says that I am above all stuff with the exception of the USB port since it does not test that. It even said that with my PC I could run stuff higher with something they call Adaptive performance or something like that.

Few more things

1) You don't need a USB-C port for the Quest. You are using regular USB 3.0 Type-A (aka the ones on the front of your computer) to a USB Type-C (that plugs into your quest).

2) The minimum/recommended specs for the Rift S are later gen/newer CPUs than the one you are currently running.

It really doesn't make a sense to get a Rift S imo, you barely have the computer for it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Very slick! Do you have recommendations on GPUs which could fit within this form factor? I see the "GPU max dimensions" spec but I'm not sure how to specifically search for GPUs of that size, rather than navigating to each individual GPU page and checking its specs from there.

unfortunately off the top my head I don't really know, but I would do the same thing you're thinking of, using the physical measurements in the specifications guide to see if it will fit. I found this video on YouTube where the guy seems to fit a dual fan dual slot video card no problem.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a new system - mainly because I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what motherboard I should get. Looking at a ryzen 3900x, but MB differences are making my head spin...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zN4Ff9

Is what I'm looking at right now, with storage figured out and GPU put on the back burner for a little while.

yep, quite a few options for ryzen boards atm, it's pretty nice.

i would just google x570 vs b450 for ryzen 3900x and read up.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
My home server needs more ram and instead of spending money on more ddr3 memory, I want to repurpose my current current gaming Mobo and cpu (ryzen 1600) to my server and do slight upgrade to ryzen 2600 for my gaming rig. Currently have a Rx580. What B450 should I get if I'm not to concerned about OC or messing with the bios? Looking to spend less rhen $100.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
mainly because I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what motherboard I should get
From the phrasing I take that you don't need special features like 64gb RAM, more than 6 SATA ports, dual CPU sockets, several m2 slots, better overclocking options like better VRMs, etc? If not it's pretty straight forward. Just grab a cheap B450 mainboard that comes either pre-patched for latest Ryzen gen or can be easily updated (there are boards that can be updated without the CPU).

I can recommend the MSI B450-A Pro Max. It's pre-patched, works flawless with a Ryzen 3600 out of the box (and should with the 3900X) and received its latest BIOS update just a few weeks ago. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

brah, you can keep like everything. forward compatibility ftw.

here is a list of CPUs compatible with your board:

You can just stick the newest ryzen (3600?) in it and call it a day. make sure to upgrade your BIOS first.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
From the phrasing I take that you don't need special features like 64gb RAM, more than 6 SATA ports, dual CPU sockets, several m2 slots, better overclocking options like better VRMs, etc? If not it's pretty straight forward. Just grab a cheap B450 mainboard that comes either pre-patched for latest Ryzen gen or can be easily updated (there are boards that can be updated without the CPU).

I can recommend the MSI B450-A Pro Max. It's pre-patched, works flawless with a Ryzen 3600 out of the box (and should with the 3900X) and received its latest BIOS update just a few weeks ago. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max

Yeah, I'm not looking to overclock, One or Two M.2 slots is plenty. I guess I've been pretty tunnel visioned on the newer MB releases and completely forgot that they're not the only ones able to run the new ryzen CPUs. Man it's a headache lol

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
unfortunately off the top my head I don't really know, but I would do the same thing you're thinking of, using the physical measurements in the specifications guide to see if it will fit. I found this video on YouTube where the guy seems to fit a dual fan dual slot video card no problem.
Start a build on PCPP with that case and any of the parts you've already decided on. Then browse GPUs and it should filter out any that are too long to fit the case. Or any that require three case slots. You may still want to double check their width/height before buying, as I don't know if PCPP has those dimensions stored for cases/GPUs..

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
One friend is looking for the following monitor:
Resolution: 4k
Refresh rate: 60Hz+
Size: 27 inches+
Response time: 1ms

He has a 2070Super for more info.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So I have my LG C9 on the way, but unfortunately it will have to be paired with a bog standard GTX980 since that's what's in my HTPC (my 1080 Ti is in my desktop hooked up to my Gsync monitor).

I'm really weighing getting a 2080 or 2080 Ti (one that can fit in my Silverstone RVZ02 m-ITX case) just for the performance and G-sync capabilities, but at the same time, I'd really like to wait on next gen cards to see if we get appreciable increase in the hardware RTX performance. Ugh, decisions, decisions!!

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a noob question. When building a PC, do I have to do anything special to have it be wifi enabled? Are wifi cards already on the motherboard?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a noob question. When building a PC, do I have to do anything special to have it be wifi enabled? Are wifi cards already on the motherboard?

Many motherboards do indeed have wifi support built-in, but many don't. If they don't advertise it, it's not there.

In which case, you'd need either a PCIe Wifi card, or a USB wifi adapter.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Most motherboards don't include onboard wi-fi (it's more commonly found on higher-end boards/chipsets and Mini-ITX boards), but you can search for motherboards that have it onboard.

If you don't get it onboard, your options are a PCI-E wi-fi card (if you have a free PCI-E slot that isn't blocked by your GPU) or a USB wi-fi adapter.

PCI-E cards generally have better signal/reliability than USB adapters, but there are also USB adapters that have a built-in or connected external antenna(e) for better signal. I tend to avoid the little thumbdrive-esque USB adapters with no external antenna, unless you just need something cheap for occasional browsing.

Another non-wi-fi option, if you have access to your router, is a powerline ethernet adapter.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Depends on board as stated by others.

If you are confused on a certain board or just want further input, just link the board you are considering and someone will help out.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Start a build on PCPP with that case and any of the parts you've already decided on. Then browse GPUs and it should filter out any that are too long to fit the case. Or any that require three case slots. You may still want to double check their width/height before buying, as I don't know if PCPP has those dimensions stored for cases/GPUs..
Oh awesome, I didn't realize PCPP would even attempt to do that. Nice pointer.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
So with the BF craziness (here in my country BF starts a week before the US), I could not resist and got an Asus Rog Strix 2070 Super. Also decided to upgrade the RAM to a Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB at 3200. So can anyone share if they got the card and how it handles with RTX on? I've checked online and it seems there is a shortage on information regarding playing with RTX on.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hello guys! Thank you for past recommendations, many kind people here. Wondering about this built? 1080p60fps and maybe doing 1440p 60. I initially had a bigger budget, but it seems I needed to stay between the $600~$750 range.
Please notice this is only for CPU, GPU, RAM and motherboard.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99
ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card $349.99

I need a motherboard recommendation as well pls.

Thank you in advance!!

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
So on my 3700x build I really haven't been happy so far with the Wraith Spire CPU fan, but i really don't know much about CPU fans in general. (My CPU runs in the high 70s when under load and high 50s when idle and the fan is always audible. I think I can do better.)

What would be a good replacement for it that runs quieter/cooler without breaking the bank? I'm not really planning on overclocking (much, if any) if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.