• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
I picked up a Wraith Prism for my r5 3600 for $25 USD. I just wanted a cheap air cooler and it came down to this and the Hyper 212X. I know the Coolermaster is technically better but I prefer the aesthetics of the AMD cooler. I don't think the margin for those two coolers is that big in gaming work loads anyway.
That's exactly what I did, installation is easier than the 212 (although still annoying, I hate CPU coolers it seems) and the Prism is still overkill for the 3600, which is a good thing. Under 100% load it doesn't even go to 100% fan speed on my motherboard's default fan curves.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The $100 models will be just as effective. The difference between them will be the number of outlets in the back and the amount of time the battery can run for.

If your goal is to avoid hard shutdowns, a battery backup system of any kind should do just fine. The CyberPower ones are nice because the app will auto-shutdown your computer when battery power is at 5 minutes of life or less.

That sounds really cool but it's a little more high tech than what I was looking for. I was kinda just looking for the basic strip kind 😅

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
my previous CPU was the 6700K (4/8 cores). i can't believe how much a step up the 9900K is. double the cores and running at 5.0 easily at <1.32V across all 8 cores. best i could do on the 6700K was 4.5 at 1.36V. performance in games might not be great but these cpus have definitely become more efficient.

just general use of my PC feels much faster and responsive.

the 7600K is only a 4/4 cpu which really is not gonna last much longer. i felt 4/8 was gonna hold me back soon enough which is why i upgraded. minimum i would recommend going with is a 6/12 CPU so 8700K. and of course the only 8/16 cpu from intel is the i9-9900K (at least not counting enthusiast high end cpus).

you would probably be really happy with the 8700K. if you are wanting to go for 144hz then the 9900K would be better. i don't even play at 144hz but still went with the 9900K. that's just me though. i had the money saved up for a 3900X anyway.
I currently have the same CPU running at 4.4 with a 2080 Super arriving today. Last night I thought "why not sell the 6700K with my motherboard and go for a new mobo + 9900K?" Which motherboard did you buy to reach 5.0 on all cores? Is your CPU air or water-cooled? I like to play BR games like PUBG and other competitive games with some single player (like Gears 5) in between. I wanted to wait until summer 2020 when probably all new CPUs and GPUs are out, but I got impatient.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
I've been having a weird desire to design and build my own PC case out of wood. Is there anything special about them that I should know, I'm assuming it wouldn't need to be grounded if it's wood?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finally got around to ordering a MSI 2080TI Gaming X Trio. Was gonna wait until DOOM Eternal but Control just tempted me too much

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
]
4760-CC75-93-EF-4-E96-A73-E-53-A4-CEA6556-B.jpg
60-AEB384-37-BB-489-B-938-D-D14245-CCDEBA.jpg

47-C9-A063-2-BE6-4268-A194-7-F42-ADEB6038.jpg

CED65940-43-E8-437-E-A73-B-C16-C10793154.jpg

Well it took awhile, with a few hiccups, but the rig is near complete.

CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: GTX 2070 Supes
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Master
RAM: Corsair 32gb@3200(overkill I know)
PSU: Corsair 850w
Case: NZXT H510i elite

I exchanged the Asus Maximus Hero XI I initially bought for a Gigabyte Aorus Extreme after I was having issues with the wifi dropping. Turns out the Gigabyte was giving me same issue and I resolved it by switching the adapter from 802.11 a/c to n in the device settings(discovered that possible fix after hours of internet research). Sorry for the blame Asus! Though I like the Gigabyte better anyway I think. (Also, it still drops whenever I download from the fucking MS Win10 App/Xbox store, but not as often. What a hog that thing is!)

Also swapped out the Kraken M22 single 120mm AIO Cooler(rear mounted) for an X62 280mm(front mounted) after getting nervous that the m22 wasn't providing decent cooling. The X62 keeps temps lower for sure, but I think the m22 light ring and RGB was much better. It was super bright and had better depth on the m22, whereas here its kind of dim and the inner rings barely reflect any depth. :/ Also the connection was far easier and less convoluted with the smaller m22(no SATA connection needed for power unlike the older X62).

You may notice I have no Keyboard. I am using an ancient ugly Logitech currently(not pictured) but want to replace it with something fitting the setup. Currently eyeing the Massdrop CTRL, but the price is a bit much(considering the expense I already dumped) and I have never used a mech kb so choosing switches is beyond me. Also considering the Logi G Pro, but the all black doesn't fit with the rest of my components well.

I also plan to probably get some braided PSU cables to switch out as I really dislike the ones that come with the PSU. I tried my best to make the GPU connection not look rough, but those included cables are tough to work with and all have multiple ends to tuck out of sight and take up needless space.

Anyway, playing Control, Gears 4(gotta catch up before 5!), and FFXIV mostly. Just grabbed Remnant, which is kind of neat. Looking for other suggestions that make the PC sing.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
]
4760-CC75-93-EF-4-E96-A73-E-53-A4-CEA6556-B.jpg
60-AEB384-37-BB-489-B-938-D-D14245-CCDEBA.jpg

47-C9-A063-2-BE6-4268-A194-7-F42-ADEB6038.jpg

CED65940-43-E8-437-E-A73-B-C16-C10793154.jpg

Well it took awhile, with a few hiccups, but the rig is near complete.

CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: GTX 2070 Supes
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Master
RAM: Corsair 32gb@3200(overkill I know)
PSU: Corsair 850w
Case: NZXT H510i elite

I exchanged the Asus Maximus Hero XI I initially bought for a Gigabyte Aorus Extreme after I was having issues with the wifi dropping. Turns out the Gigabyte was giving me same issue and I resolved it by switching the adapter from 802.11 a/c to n in the device settings(discovered that possible fix after hours of internet research). Sorry for the blame Asus! Though I like the Gigabyte better anyway I think. (Also, it still drops whenever I download from the fucking MS Win10 App/Xbox store, but not as often. What a hog that thing is!)

Also swapped out the Kraken M22 single 120mm AIO Cooler(rear mounted) for an X62 280mm(front mounted) after getting nervous that the m22 wasn't providing decent cooling. The X62 keeps temps lower for sure, but I think the m22 light ring and RGB was much better. It was super bright and had better depth on the m22, whereas here its kind of dim and the inner rings barely reflect any depth. :/ Also the connection was far easier and less convoluted with the smaller m22(no SATA connection needed for power unlike the older X62).

You may notice I have no Keyboard. I am using an ancient ugly Logitech currently(not pictured) but want to replace it with something fitting the setup. Currently eyeing the Massdrop CTRL, but the price is a bit much(considering the expense I already dumped) and I have never used a mech kb so choosing switches is beyond me. Also considering the Logi G Pro, but the all black doesn't fit with the rest of my components well.

I also plan to probably get some braided PSU cables to switch out as I really dislike the ones that come with the PSU. I tried my best to make the GPU connection not look rough, but those included cables are tough to work with and all have multiple ends to tuck out of sight and take up needless space.

Anyway, playing Control, Gears 4(gotta catch up before 5!), and FFXIV mostly. Just grabbed Remnant, which is kind of neat. Looking for other suggestions that make the PC sing.
If you don't mind the 60% layout, look into the Anne Pro 2

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. Here goes nothing - the build starts today.

I'm super nervous. I built my first PC back in 2011 so it's been a minute since I've done this before. Got my iPad ready with a ton of videos ready to go. I'll be reusing a 256 SSD and my 750W PSU from the old build (along w/ mouse and keyboard). This will also be my first foray into 144 hz....super excited to see what that's about.

I think I'm mostly nervous about the fan installation. I've never added additional fans before so I'm a bit worried about the wiring and if there are enough slots for them all. I'm also a tad nervous about cable management - this case is a LOT smaller than the HAF X (my old case).. I'm going to do my best.

I have my Microsoft Windows tied to my account, but I have a bootable USB just in case that fails.

Fingers crossed I'm not back here in an hour troubleshooting, lol. Wish me luck...see y'all on the other side!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Does this thread also function as a tech support kind of thread or does anyone know if there is a dedicated thread for that?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Here goes nothing - the build starts today.

I'm super nervous. I built my first PC back in 2011 so it's been a minute since I've done this before. Got my iPad ready with a ton of videos ready to go. I'll be reusing a 256 SSD and my 750W PSU from the old build (along w/ mouse and keyboard). This will also be my first foray into 144 hz....super excited to see what that's about.

I think I'm mostly nervous about the fan installation. I've never added additional fans before so I'm a bit worried about the wiring and if there are enough slots for them all. I'm also a tad nervous about cable management - this case is a LOT smaller than the HAF X (my old case).. I'm going to do my best.

I have my Microsoft Windows tied to my account, but I have a bootable USB just in case that fails.

Fingers crossed I'm not back here in an hour troubleshooting, lol. Wish me luck...see y'all on the other side!

Is that the new LG 27GL850?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
My old 3rd gen i5 is starting to struggle a bit, thinking it is time for a replacement. A few questions:

1) I really wanted to hold off for PCIe 4.0. If I am understanding this correct that means I need an AMD X570 chipset mobo, which are available now. However, I also need a 3rd gen Ryzen proc (3000 series) which is not available now and is coming in Winter 2019, is that correct?

2) Is there any hope that my i5-3570K could be upgraded to something worthwhile by only swapping out the CPU, finding maybe an older one on eBay or something? Or that is simply not worth the effort (or maybe not even possible) and I should just use the time between now and Winter 2019 to save for that AMD system?

3) My video card is a GTX 1060 6GB, which to be honest, I can't really afford to get rid of currently. Is it going to get any boost from i5-3570K to Ryzen 3rd gen, or will it instead be holding back the new system?

Last edited:

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
1. Outside of very specific use cases (i.e. productivity not gaming) , PCI 4.0 is not necessary for at least the foreseeable future.

Ryzen 3xxx is already out and is great.

2. Don't know about upgrading the processor but Ryzen 3xxx are such good value it's not worth it. Plus are you still on DDR3 with that chip? If so the step up to DDR4 should be worthwhile.

3. Your 1060 might be held up a bit by your current CPU, but certainly won't be by a Ryzen 3xxx.

Oct 29, 2017
My old 3rd gen i5 is starting to struggle a bit, thinking it is time for a replacement. A few questions:

1) I really wanted to hold off for PCIe 4.0. If I am understanding this correct that means I need an AMD X570 chipset mobo, which are available now. However, I also need a 3rd gen Ryzen proc (3000 series) which is not available now and is coming in Winter 2019, is that correct?

2) Is there any hope that my i5-3570K could be upgraded to something worthwhile by only swapping out the CPU, finding maybe an older one on eBay or something? Or that is simply not worth the effort (or maybe not even possible) and I should just use the time between now and Winter 2019 to save for that AMD system?

3) My video card is a GTX 1060 6GB, which to be honest, I can't really afford to get rid of currently. Is it going to get any boost from i5-3570K to Ryzen 3rd gen, or will it instead be holding back the new system?
1) Ryzen 3000 and X570 launched together, but availability may depend on your country. Eight Ryzen 3000 models are out. The upcoming releases are for high core count workstation chips.

2) I believe the biggest upgrade you can make is to i7 3770K and after checking the prices on Ebay I would say it isn't worth it.

3) The benefits you see depends on per game basis, some games like FarCry 5 really push the CPU, games like Civilization would have much faster AI turns, your FPS would be improved somewhat in most games some less than others. Still it is the 1060 what does all the graphical work, while upgrading just the CPU is like upgrading the conveyor belts on your factory while keeping the same amount of workers. If you are getting a new CPU I think ideally you would like that to be the case; that your GPU is now holding back the system, otherwise you got a CPU that would be bottle-necking anything better you get after the 1060.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I've got an aging rig. i5 2500k that's overclocked, 560ti. Looking to upgrade the GPU as a stop gap. I have a One X so that will still be my go to for "demanding" games, but what's a good step up from the 560ti? Preferably 100-200 USD range.

Is it even worth it given the age of the CPU? I would only be playing Overwatch, WoW Classic and maybe CS:GO. Should I just upgrade the RAM for now and plan for a new build in the future?

One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is that my current display is a 34" LG Ultrawide. The native resolution for it is a bit much for my 560ti to handle I think. I work from home and it's the display my company gave me. PC is mine, display is theirs.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I've got an aging rig. i5 2500k that's overclocked, 560ti. Looking to upgrade the GPU as a stop gap. I have a One X so that will still be my go to for "demanding" games, but what's a good step up from the 560ti? Preferably 100-200 USD range.

Is it even worth it given the age of the CPU? I would only be playing Overwatch, WoW Classic and maybe CS:GO. Should I just upgrade the RAM for now and plan for a new build in the future?
Right now I would say a RX 580. Since AMD just released the new series of cards to replace them you can find 580 at all sorts of discounts.

Although you will definitely see a boost in performance, Overwatch more than the other two, with an old CPU like the 2500K don't expect consistency at frame-rates over 60fps. You would be fine at 60fps, it is an upgrade to increase graphical settings or resolution, get a stable frame rate, or try new releases, but if you are upgrading because you already hit 60 in CS:Go and want 120, then don't.

Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Right now I would say a RX 580. Since AMD just released the new series of cards to replace them you can find 580 at all sorts of discounts.

Although you will definitely see a boost in performance, Overwatch more than the other two, with an old GPU like the 2500K don't expect consistency at frame-rates over 60fps. You would be fine at 60fps, it is an upgrade to increase graphical settings or resolution, get a stable frame rate, or try new releases, but if you are upgrading because you already hit 60 in CS:Go and want 120, then don't.

Yeah I probably don't even need to upgrade given my use cases. 4GB of RAM is definitely holding me back I think.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I probably don't even need to upgrade given my use cases. 4GB of RAM is definitely holding me back I think.
Yeah that too. That said, your 560ti has 1GB or memory right? I would say that if you got a new ultra-wide monitor (3440x1440p?), that's the usual reason your performance is tanking much further than expected even after reducing graphical settings.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Does this thread also function as a tech support kind of thread or does anyone know if there is a dedicated thread for that?

Ask your question here. Best shot at being viewed by peeps with the best tech skills on the board and experience with a wide range of builders. Sometimes people will start new threads, but they can get pushed down pretty quick.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So PC era, I have the chance to get a used rig (2-3 years old) in good condition (i7-7700K, 1070 GTX, 16GB ram, 500GB SSD) for about $450-500. The only real gaming I'd be looking to do on it are RTS games (old and new). As someone who's not too savvy with PC parts, should I take it?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
So PC era, I have the chance to get a used rig (2-3 years old) in good condition (i7-7700K, 1070 GTX, 16GB ram, 500GB SSD) for about $450-500. The only real gaming I'd be looking to do on it are RTS games (old and new). As someone who's not too savvy with PC parts, should I take it?
what else is included? PSU? Case? brands? I'll assume a second hand 1070 is about 200ish USD?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

It's a good deal for that price. Should play RTS fine. May want to get a second SSD for under $100. An additional 1TB (or even 500GB but it's so cheap now) and you'll have no storage issues.

Oct 29, 2017
That is super solid for current gen. Great price for what it is a very high settings 1440p 60fps machine.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah everything included. It's a prebuilt from ibuypower from a friend of mine. He said he's never had any issues and only used it for light gaming, mostly video editing the last couple years.
Sounds good then; usually I'd be concerned about proprietary nonsense that some PC builders put in their systems, but it looks like ibuypower doesn't do that. I could be wrong though.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering a rtx 2080 super or a 2080 ti. Any recommendations on model? Looked at the MSI gaming x trio and the evga ftw3 ultra.

Edit: did some more research. Going with the MSI variant.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really good pc for that price. 1070 is still a really good card.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
1gb is barely passable. While I'm still using a 2600k (waiting for the b450 to be delivered in a few days, and going with a 3600), the gpu is holding you back.
So safe to say a GPU with more RAM will better handle the higher native resolution then? I'm not looking to do 4k or 60fps just have the not so demanding games I currently play perform better.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Ask your question here. Best shot at being viewed by peeps with the best tech skills on the board and experience with a wide range of builders. Sometimes people will start new threads, but they can get pushed down pretty quick.
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Realized earlier that Windows update has trashed my PC and I can't boot up. Trying to transfer files and back them up so I can do a clean install.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
hey guys,
I would love to hear your opinion.

For some years now I use my consoles for basically all my gaming needs and I'm happy with it.
But lately I'm really in the mood for strategy and building games again and these are simply no fun with a controller.
I have a Macbook and I have played a lot of older titles on it but there is only so much it can do.

Soo... I need a new pc.
Like I said, the games I want to play are mostly strategy and city building games and a few pc exclusive indies.

Cities Skylines, Anno 1800, Recent Total War games... stuff like that.

I have no display at the moment, but I don't think 4k is necessary. A stable higher framerate is more important to me.

Budget-wise I was thinking 1000€ max... but the cheaper the better. I have been looking at Build 5 and 6 from the OP.

Can you guys help me out? I've been out of the pc building game too long.. I don't really know what's good anymore and what's enough for these kinds of games.

hey guys,
I'm gonna quote myself here, because I think last time the post fell through the cracks.

Please help me out.

caphisuada

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to put together a SFF/ITX pc soon but it's my first build ever. Just wondering if a SF600w Corsair PSU will work okay with GPUs that have a reccomened power supply of 650w? Are these recommended specs from card manufacturers just overblown or should i just fork out for the more expensive SF750w?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Realized earlier that Windows update has trashed my PC and I can't boot up. Trying to transfer files and back them up so I can do a clean install.

Can you boot from USB and try to do a restore point? Windows has gotten pretty good at it. Not like the old days.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Can you boot from USB and try to do a restore point? Windows has gotten pretty good at it. Not like the old days.
I did. It can't see any restore points. And I chose each of the three options it gave me; it had two windows 10 options and the top option was Windows Rollback. It can't repair start up or go back to a previous build either. Closest thing to functionality is letting it sit on the screen waiting for it to rollback changes it did to the system with the failed windows update.

Tried what I thought was a last resort to re-install while keeping all files and it even couldn't do that. So it seems this was a kind of severe issue.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This might not be the right place to ask, but I just nabbed a heavily discounted RTX 2080 Ti to replace my AORUS GTX 1080 and I'm trying to get an idea of what a used 1080 should sell for these days. Looking at places like eBay and Amazon, it seems like they sell for right around $350 - $400, but I wanted to know if that figure seems right.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a little high, but maybe it is just me. I checked eBay and saw a lot of 1080's selling around the $250-$350 range and most of them were towards the lower end of that scale. If I understand, correctly the RTX 2060 Super is supposed to perform better than a GTX 1080, and that starts at $400 which makes me think it'd be tough to sell a used three-year-old card for $350.

lordy16

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all!

So, I messed up a bit.

I got some thermal paste on my motherboard CPU socket and I'm terrified to go through with this build now. I'd hate to put everything together only to understand that the socket was the problem.

image0.jpg

How does this look? Is it salvageable? Is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
I bought an ibuypower prebuilt pc from Best Buy. Everything seems to be fine except for the back fan not spinning. I keep getting told to check the cables and I have . Is it possible I can post a pic and someone direct me to what I must not be seeing. The led lights are flashing on the fan. It won't spin tho.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Well after a week of having nothing but problems with my CyberpowerPC experience, I am planning on getting a refund and building my own PC.

Last week my PC arrived with multiple flaws. Cables were unattached, fan was broken, and system came overclocked, with no way of upgrading my B450 motherboard's bios with the 3000 series AMD chip.

I knew something was seriously wrong when the system was registering over 55 degrees in the BIOS menu. The first time I booted up Fortnite the CPU and GPU were both hitting temps in the high 80s, and the case - which is terribly ventilated was burn your hand hot. While trying out Gears of War 4 I noticed that textures where not loading in, and would have that neon green/red look that was a huge red flag that GPU was having issues.

I went to wake the computer out of sleep mode and I noticed that my keyboard and mouse were not working, and after I unplugged them and plugged them back in the computer hard froze, and started to boot loop. After I unplugged all of the devices and power, then did a hard restart I can get back into my account. I plan on backing up the few files I put on there and hopefully get CyberPower to get me a refund, although I contacted customer support last Thursday and have heard nothing back - which I'm not that upset about given the holiday.

What kills me is that I knew better, but having a busy schedule and shear laziness got me into trouble. I'll definitely be back when I start to build my own rig. I really want to build a machine I can proud of to wash away this bad experience.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I think that's a little high, but maybe it is just me. I checked eBay and saw a lot of 1080's selling around the $250-$350 range and most of them were towards the lower end of that scale. If I understand, correctly the RTX 2060 Super is supposed to perform better than a GTX 1080, and that starts at $400 which makes me think it'd be tough to sell a used three-year-old card for $350.
Good to know. I had no idea the 2060 Super performed that well, that gives me a much better idea of what to sell mine for. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.