• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Only improve, thermal and noise, because they now use 2 fans. 3rd parties are still better. If your main thing is looks, get a FE otherwise go 3rd party.
Eh, its kind of hard to say 3rd parties are better when the FE's are Nvidia's own binned chips. Ya thermals are pretty weak but they are usually super fast.

For all Zen 2 owners out there, beware of Corsair ICUE, that shit will immediately force your CPU voltages up to 1.47 or so. Until they fix that program I'd honestly just uninstall and deal with your pretty RGB setup not looking exactly are you like :( Or leave it, and don't worry about your voltages because apparently that is normal for Zen 2.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, its kind of hard to say 3rd parties are better when the FE's are Nvidia's own binned chips. Ya thermals are pretty weak but they are usually super fast.
From the reviews I have read, 2080ti FE max boost performs similar to 3rd parties so "binning" isn't all that. The problem is FEs hit thermal limits often, leading to downclocking and loosing performances. Add in often much higher noise, I still don't see the point in going FE. Unfortunately, I personally fell for the "looks" and bought a 2080ti FE at launch. It was such a big change compare to my cool and almost silent Asus 1080ti Strix. When 3080ti comes out, 3rd all the way.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
From the reviews I have read, 2080ti FE max boost performs similar to 3rd parties so "binning" isn't all that. The problem is FEs hit thermal limits often, leading to downclocking and loosing performances. Add in often much higher noise, I still don't see the point in going FE. Unfortunately, I personally fell for the "looks" and bought a 2080ti FE at launch. It was such a big change compare to my cool and almost silent Asus 1080ti Strix. When 3080ti comes out, 3rd all the way.
I'm with you, i always go 3rd party for the temps alone, but Jayztwocents released a really good video on this the other day.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
At the end, Jayztwocents agree with what I said. FE for looks, but he prefer the EVGA XC Black, $50 cheaper, for performance and noise.
Well kind of. There are pluses and minuses. If you're someone who is interested in a waterblock and overclocking, the FE is a good purchase. A better binned chip for likely $300+ less than the super high end 3rd party cards is a sweet deal if you're just going to tear off that cooler and throw on a waterblock.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Well kind of. There are pluses and minuses. If you're someone who is interested in a waterblock and overclocking, the FE is a good purchase. A better binned chip for likely $300+ less than the super high end 3rd party cards is a sweet deal if you're just going to tear off that cooler and throw on a waterblock.
Lol. He even said the XC Black is one of his fav card on the table. Didn't say the same for the FE, but keep trying...And, most people, would even guess 95%, aren't buying the FE for "bin," break it apart and water-cool for maybe better results than others.

Edit: Jayz also mention why the $300 more card is better "bin," much better memory, chokes, higher power draw due to better VRM and etc. so you can't make it sound like the FE is on similar "bin" level.

Last edited:

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. He even said the XC Black is one of his fav card on the table. Didn't say the same for the FE, but keep trying...And, most people, would even guess 95%, aren't buying the FE for "bin," break it apart and water-cool for maybe better results than others.

Edit: Jayz also mention why the $300 more card is better "bin," much better memory, chokes, higher power draw and etc. so you make it sound like the FE is on similar "bin" level.
I'm not "trying" anything. I think you think we're arguing and we aren't.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not "trying" anything. I think you think we're arguing and we aren't.
If you aren't, why response to a post I reply to someone else many hours ago saying I was wrong. Post a video where it actually agrees with what I said. Then, try playing it off like I misinterpret the video. Sure...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Jayz also mention why the $300 more card is better "bin," much better memory, chokes, higher power draw due to better VRM and etc. so you can't make it sound like the FE is on similar "bin" level.

The best thing about this thread is that we don't usually get people in here looking for an argument.

The chip used on the regular Black is binned lower by Nvidia. You cannot argue this as it's fact. The XC Black uses the same chip as the FE. The VRAM in the FE isn't any worse than the VRAM in the AIB cards. Very few of the AIB cards have better chokes, VRM, etc. most are using the reference PCB these days. You are mostly paying for a larger cooler. In terms of EVGA specifically you will need to buy the FTW3 or Kingpin to get a custom PCB.

People buy the Black because they decide that the money saved is worth it.

Last edited:

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about this thread is that we don't usually get people in here looking for an argument.

The chip used on the Black is binned lower by Nvidia. You cannot argue this as it's fact. The VRAM in the FE isn't any worse than the VRAM in the AIB cards. Very few of the AIB cards have better chokes, VRM, etc. most are using the reference PCB these days. You are mostly paying for a larger cooler. In terms of EVGA specifically you will need to buy the FTW3 or Kingpin to get a custom PCB.

People buy the Black because they decide that the money saved is worth it.
As I already mention, FE and 3rd parties card perform similar so "bin" is not end all or remotely deal breaker. Jayz said / show that in the video and many other reviewers. And, his conclusion is same with mine, FE for looks, but XC Black for performance and much better noise.

As for high price custom board, that other guy brought that up making it seem like the FE "bin" is on the same level with you "save $300"...

Next time someone else wants to join in the fun, please understand what's going on first.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
As I already mention, FE and 3rd parties card perform similar so "bin" is not end all or remotely deal breaker. Jayz said / show that in the video and many other reviewers. And, his conclusion is same with mine, FE for looks, but XC Black for performance and much better noise.

As for high price custom board, that other guy brought that up making it seem like the FE "bin" is on the same level with you "save $300"...

Next time someone else wants to join in the fun, please understand what's going on first.

Not sure why you need to be condescending but ok. I think the bin the other poster is referring to is the 300A vs 300. That was my interpretation.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there won't be 3900x availability before September at least, even then it's questionable. Those who ordered during first hours are still getting theirs.

Staring to wonder if going to 3950x be only option to get in reasonable time frame or if enough idiots switch so 3900x in actually be purchasable...

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why you need to be condescending but ok. I think the bin the other poster is referring to is the 300A vs 300. That was my interpretation.
Whatever. I'll continue to recommended the 3rd parties vs FE and other person can shoot me down if he / she wants. This is my last reply to this matter. I don't want to clutter this thread anymore.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there won't be 3900x availability before September at least, even then it's questionable. Those who ordered during first hours are still getting theirs.

Staring to wonder if going to 3950x be only option to get in reasonable time frame or if enough idiots switch so 3900x in actually be purchasable...

Huh? There was just a restock of them on Amazon and Best Buy...

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason not to buy itx motherboard if I only need 32GB ram/1 graphic card?
Are you going SFF? If not, I don't see why you wouldn't go with a bigger MB, more expansion if you need it the future. But, if you really want itx, go for it since it's fine for your needs. I myself went SFF and can't see going back to larger cases.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

they were in stock at Amazon all day.

edit: and is in stock right now at BestBuy.

Last edited:

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to snag a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT off Newegg this morning before they sold out. Part 1 of 3 upgrades near complete. Next is getting a Ryzen 3600 in a few weeks.

I don't really know what mobo to get. I was reading through the recent discussion here and I'm still unsure. Every board out there right now seems to have some kind of issue with the new Ryzen chips. I was leaning into getting a cheaper Asrock B450 board with flashback, and hoping for the best.

Also I'm really unsure about the CPU cooler. I hear the stock cooler on the 3600 is meh, and I have a 212 Evo, but I think it requires a mounting bracket thing? I have no clue what that is or where to even get one.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

AMD Computer Processors In Stock Tracker - RYZEN, Threadripper Pro - NowInStock.net

Looking for a hard to find AMD CPU but coming up empty handed? Our AMD Computer Processor In Stock Tracker may be able to help.

Just put this website up in the background and enable their alarm. I have a 3900x arriving Friday.

edit: They also have a UK specific tracker.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my RX 580 GPU since I'm not really happy with my GPU anymore. Constant maxing near 100% with newer games and often times simply not delivering the fidelity I would like.

I have a Ryzen 5 1600X CPU and 16GB of RAM.

What's the best card to go with that combo, that sets me up for at least 2-3 years?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to snag a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT off Newegg this morning before they sold out. Part 1 of 3 upgrades near complete. Next is getting a Ryzen 3600 in a few weeks.

I don't really know what mobo to get. I was reading through the recent discussion here and I'm still unsure. Every board out there right now seems to have some kind of issue with the new Ryzen chips. I was leaning into getting a cheaper Asrock B450 board with flashback, and hoping for the best.

Also I'm really unsure about the CPU cooler. I hear the stock cooler on the 3600 is meh, and I have a 212 Evo, but I think it requires a mounting bracket thing? I have no clue what that is or where to even get one.

I think this is what you need: https://store.coolermaster.com/us/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-rr-am4b-212l-r1

But I'm not 100% sure, let others confirm! Otherwise I would see if you can't get something from Noctua or beQuiet!, the 212 Evo is a bit old and dated now, also in terms of cooling performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Q: If a make and model of memory is on the MEMORY MANUFACTURER QVL list...but not on the MOTHERBOARD QVL list...

...which should I trust?

Also, for a Zen 2 system, would 2x16GB sticks OC or otherwise perform better than 4x8GB sticks? I've almost always had sticks in all of my DIM slots, so dropping down to 2x would be a new look for me. But if it is more likely to OC better, that is definitely the direction I'd go in.

Halp.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I decided against an upgrade for the time being. But I ordered a new monitor. First time 144hz freesync. Coming from an Eizo Foris this will be a revelation I hope lol

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, I'm at a dilemma here.

I bought a 1440p144hz two months ago and it has been a game-changer.

The things is, this needs more horsepower to run recent games at 144fps than what my GTX1080 currently provides.

I don't know what to do. I sold my consoles since quite honestly I wasn't using them at all and now I have almost enough for a RTX2080Ti.

But I'm wary. I have a 6700k at 4,6Ghz and this is going to be outdated in a year when new consoles come with 8 core Ryzen 3600-3700.

So I don't know what to do. One part of me really wants power now but the other wants to wait for Zen 3 and Nvidia 7nm. If I keep saving by this time next year or by year's end I'll have enough to build the monster I wanted (SFF with a pretty case).

I've been looking for what Intel is up to but I can't find anything regarding desktop CPUs. All I see from Coffee Lake is for laptops and they promise a 18% uptick in IPC...compared to Skylake.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

The things is, this needs more horsepower to run recent games at 144fps than what my GTX1080 currently provides.

I don't know what to do. I sold my consoles since quite honestly I wasn't using them at all and now I have almost enough for a RTX2080Ti.

But I'm wary. I have a 6700k at 4,6Ghz and this is going to be outdated in a year when new consoles come with 8 core Ryzen 3600-3700.

So I don't know what to do. One part of me really wants power now but the other wants to wait for Zen 3 and Nvidia 7nm. If I keep saving by this time next year or by year's end I'll have enough to build the monster I wanted (SFF with a pretty case).

I've been looking for what Intel is up to but I can't find anything regarding desktop CPUs. All I see from Coffee Lake is for laptops and they promise a 18% uptick in IPC...compared to Skylake.

Do your screens have G-Sync / Freesync? Honestly my advice would be to wait. Maybe get a new Ryzen CPU if you want but wait on the GPU-side. With the current RTX series you're paying a hefty premium just for Raytracing and other RTX features while "regular" GPU performance improvements leave alot to be desired for the price.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Well, I believe Intel 7nm isn't coming until 2021. Next year will be their 10nm. It might launch in December but I believe it is expected in early 2020.

My advice? I'd give it another month to see if there is any news on that front and to see how the big fall releases (Borderlands 3, CoD, Control, etc) run on your 6700k. Pick up that 2080 or 2080Ti because you're going to need that or something of similar power anyway for 144Hz on modern titles. You might find that with your 6700k is satisfactory enough to keep you content for another year. If at that point you are confident that it's the CPU holding your frames back significantly, get that CPU upgrade sooner rather than later.

Note: I have a 6700k @ 4.6 and a 2080Ti. I game pretty much exclusively at 120Hz @ 3440x1440 and the system has been good to me. BUT...I just ordered my 3900X CPU tonight and am deciding on the memory and mobo to go with it. I'm ready to get rid of those performance dips I see in the games I play and to improve my overall PC experience. It's time.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Do your screens have G-Sync / Freesync? Honestly my advice would be to wait. Maybe get a new Ryzen CPU if you want but wait on the GPU-side. With the current RTX series you're paying a hefty premium just for Raytracing and other RTX features while "regular" GPU performance improvements leave alot to be desired for the price.
My monitor is FreeSync but it's on the GSync certified list. Best of both worlds honestly.

Yeah, being absolutely rational, waiting in my case is the best course of action. I realize that the RTX prices are totally inflated in the higher end. I also have a hefty backlog to clean for the year.

But waiting a full year to play stuff like RE2make at 144 hurts :(

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, being absolutely rational, waiting in my case is the best course of action. I realize that the RTX prices are totally inflated in the higher end. I also have a hefty backlog to clean for the year.

I understand that! :( That's why I got a Freesync 144hz 1080p screen, even if I can't reach 144fps in many games I can reach 80-100 easily and thanks to Freesync I still have a good and smooth time.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
My monitor is FreeSync but it's on the GSync certified list. Best of both worlds honestly.

Sorry to piggyback here but can I ask which monitor?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh cool, the Sapphire Pulse is only US$10 more than the reference card, that should be maybe AU$40-50 difference." ... $160 difference.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Q: If a make and model of memory is on the MEMORY MANUFACTURER QVL list...but not on the MOTHERBOARD QVL list...

...which should I trust?

Also, for a Zen 2 system, would 2x16GB sticks OC or otherwise perform better than 4x8GB sticks? I've almost always had sticks in all of my DIM slots, so dropping down to 2x would be a new look for me. But if it is more likely to OC better, that is definitely the direction I'd go in.

Halp.

I have a buddy who is struggling with the same questions, so I hope you get an answer on this. I've been looking around for one to help him out, but a lot of the info is conflicting to say the least.
Personally, I went the safe route and chose my ram based on the mobo QVL list. So far no issues there.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
A few pages back I asked about my new build 2070 super r5 2600 blackscreening on some games. Turns out running 4k on my tv with 300% dpi scaling was interfering with some games. I now turn off dpi scaling when I launch a game and 95% of crashes have stopped. Just a heads up.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Halp.

Almost certainly yes, two sticks >>>> four sticks.

There are some motherboards where it does not matter. This is described as "Daisychain" vs "T Topology". Buildzoid will comment extensively on this when looking at a motherboard's pics in his youtube vids. Almost every X570 is a daisychain layout, the better overclocking design and the one that prefers two sticks.

It's like this crap attempt at a diagram:
Code:
Daisychain:

/-- Memory controller ---> DIMM A1 ---> DIMM A2
CPU <
     \-- Memory controller ---> DIMM B1 ---> DIMM B2

T-Topology:
                              /--> DIMM A1
      /-- Memory controller -|
     /                        \--> DIMM A2
CPU <
     \                        /--> DIMM B1
      \-- Memory controller -|
                              \--> DIMM B2

The shorter trace lengths in daisychain are better for overclocking, but get worse when 4 slots are filled. The longer more complex traces for T-topology work better when all are full, but have a lower ceiling.

If you're not pushing high clocks it doesn't matter a huge amount now I should imagine, though I don't know. On older 1xxx especially and perhaps 2xxx Ryzens, a daisychain motherboard might be as extreme as allowing 3200 CL14 1T at two sticks, but having to back off to 2400 2T for all four. It is nowhere near that bad on a 3xxx I am sure - but you're still going to need to back off at least a little somewhere (if daisychain).

I am no expert in this, the above might have many errors! I have watched a lot of Buildzoid though lol.

Last edited:

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, just got confirmation that my Corsair Force MP510 finally shipped. Although for my use purposes, I'm pretty confident that I won't be maxing out that bandwith a whole lot, which is why I didnt go for PCIE4.0 in the first place. Ah well :)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Almost certainly yes, two sticks >>>> four sticks.

There are some motherboards where it does not matter. This is described as "Daisychain" vs "T Topology". Buildzoid will comment extensively on this when looking at a motherboard's pics in his youtube vids. Almost every X570 is a daisychain layout, the better overclocking design and the one that prefers two sticks.

It's like this crap attempt at a diagram:
Code:
Daisychain:

/-- Memory controller ---> DIMM A1 ---> DIMM A2
CPU <
     \-- Memory controller ---> DIMM B1 ---> DIMM B2

T-Topology:
                              /--> DIMM A1
      /-- Memory controller -|
     /                        \--> DIMM A2
CPU <
     \                        /--> DIMM B1
      \-- Memory controller -|
                              \--> DIMM B2

The shorter trace lengths in daisychain are better for overclocking, but get worse when 4 slots are filled. The longer more complex traces for T-topology work better when all are full, but have a lower ceiling.

If you're not pushing high clocks it doesn't matter a huge amount now I should imagine, though I don't know. On older 1xxx especially and perhaps 2xxx Ryzens, a daisychain motherboard might be as extreme as allowing 3200 CL14 1T at two sticks, but having to back off to 2400 2T for all four. It is nowhere near that bad on a 3xxx I am sure - but you're still going to need to back off at least a little somewhere (if daisychain).

I am no expert in this, the above might have many errors! I have watched a lot of Buildzoid though lol.
:O thank you sir. makes perfect sense.

I will go with the safe play of 2x sticks!

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
just an overclocking question:

have a ryzen 7 2700
overclocked it to 4.1; about 1.43V to CPU

any good? suggestions?

temps looking decent.

i also have 3000MHz RAM. easy to overclock to 3200? worth it?

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Huh. Rant time.

After changing my motherboard due to a failure, I ended up spending over 1 hour on the phone with Microsoft support in order to get my license number back up and running...

I bought a legit 7 Home license back in the day, which I upgraded to 8 Pro for a duly paied fee later on, (official cheap upg. To Pro) and that in turn was then automatically updated to 10 Pro back when upgrades were free.

But then I tried linking my machine back when my old mobo went toast. I procured one of the same era (4th gen Intel) so everything but the MB is strictly identical . Got it up and running like a breeze, but no dice at all on the activation front. « Try again later » was about the best I could get. But I need to work, I don't want any of this shit in my way especially right now.

Called Support, they kept sending me to different services until I finally reached some guy who wasn't very friendly. He made Me dig out my original retail Win7 key, which he confirmed, and then dig out again my win8 upgrade key which he also confirmed.

Then I had to wait forever, but the guy finally came back telling me: »here's a new serial number for you, don't lose it" and ended up giving me a new serial number for Win10...

I appreciate the gesture, but...
The time I spent online solving those absurd issues far surpasses what it would have cost me to just go ahead and buy a cheapo license somewhere else.

Microsoft should really start selling their crap for a lot less. Everyone on the verge of giving up like I was would totally go for even a 25$ Official key if it solved support headaches from on my he spot.

All that shit drama and waste of time for something that, in their own words, was supposed to go butter smooth...
My ass.
Reinstalling my old Office on top of that was even more ridiculous (though faster): I had to go fish online for the proper phone number where to reactivate my license because the installation program didn't provide it anymore.:.

At this point, the gap between older users and newer user is becoming too much of a hindrance it's actually impossible to expect new users to pay what we paid to get where we are, but we're not ready either to repay good money for something we see peole benefiting for a lot less.

MS should just drop the expensive crap and move to cheap upgrades, they'll get revenue from people like me. And I'm sure I'm neither the first nor the last to encounter this kind of crap.

Seriously over one hour on the fucking phone.
What year is it.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
Is there a consensus on the Radeon RX 5700? I put together a build with it and am having some game crashes and artifacting. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0OBPS-Yz80

I got the card for $250. I can return it for the same card if this one is bad or pay $100 more for a 2060. Suggestions?

edit: I'm gaming on a 1440p 144hz monitor. The game it crashed on was Max Payne 3 but I've seen artifacting in Firewatch also. Playing on a clean windows install with the latest drivers.

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
Is there a consensus on the Radeon RX 5700? I put together a build with it and am having some game crashes and artifacting. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0OBPS-Yz80

I got the card for $250. I can return it for the same card if this one is bad or pay $100 more for a 2060. Suggestions?

edit: I'm gaming on a 1440p 144hz monitor. The game it crashed on was Max Payne 3 but I've seen artifacting in Firewatch also. Playing on a clean windows install with the latest drivers.

For $250 nothing will come close. I'd say return to exchange for another.

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
So, after another day of trying to solve the B450 conundrum, piecing together what little information there is I was coming to the conclusion that the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard was a good second choice to the Tomahawk. Well featured and only downsides seem to be some misleading advertising around the VRM and a poor audio chipset (albeit the same as in the Tomahawk), but I doubt I'll overclock much and I use USB audio so hopefully not a concern for me.

However, I then saw the Anandtech review and it seems to come last on all the benchmarks, should I be overly worried about that do you think? I have no idea what the difference on the graph would relate to in real world use. If you compare it directly to the Tomahawk using its review it's someway behind the Tomahawk in most things, but in the gaming section it doesn't seem to lag behind quite as much.

If this board is not the one, I honestly don't know what alternative there is (going by online reviews etc.).

It's also slightly grating that in every comments section for this board, there's always people going, "Don't get this, its trash! Get a Tomahawk instead!" But of course in true hyperbolic internet fashion, they never explain their opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.