• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone help me with picking a 1TB SSD (new build) - So far I'm looking at the :

Intel 660p
WD Blue 3D NAND
Crucial MX500

I did initially look at the Samsung EVOs but they're like £100 more and I feel like that money could be better spent elsewhere :p

Any good deals on monitors for a budget 1080p build? Found a couple Dell and viewsonic ones that are 144hz. Not sure how they are. At this point I'm over budget and just need something for when I get all the parts in a couple days...

Dell 27"
Dell 24"
ViewSonic 23"
Acer 23"
For what it's worth - I've had the ASUS VG248QE for several years now and it's been fantastic - I don't know what a curved monitor would be like when it's 23" though. It strikes me as a tad small!

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Can anyone help me with picking a 1TB SSD (new build) - So far I'm looking at the :

Intel 660p
WD Blue 3D NAND
Crucial MX500

I did initially look at the Samsung EVOs but they're like £100 more and I feel like that money could be better spent elsewhere :p
I've heard good things about the Intel and the Crucial. Haven't heard much about the WD. Warranty duration may be the deciding factor.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about the Intel and the Crucial. Haven't heard much about the WD. Warranty duration may be the deciding factor.

The 660P is an NVMe drive, so while it's not the fastest around it is technically significantly faster than the SATA drives you have listed there. However, practical speed differences tend to be harder to discern, particularly if you are going to use the drive for gaming.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My 2060 and Meshify C/Red front panel arrived the other day, so I eagerly got everything stripped out of my old case and installed into the new one. Threw a few games onto it to test it out, and managed to get a near-as-dammit stable 60fps on ultra in BFV with RTX enabled at 1080p.

Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd to 3.9GHz
MSI Ventus 2060 OC'd to 2010 MHz
16GB 2666MHz RAM
Asus Prime B350 Mobo.

Any other titles I should check out for pure eye candy? Moved up from a 780 and the difference is staggering so far!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
My 2060 and Meshify C/Red front panel arrived the other day, so I eagerly got everything stripped out of my old case and installed into the new one. Threw a few games onto it to test it out, and managed to get a near-as-dammit stable 60fps on ultra in BFV with RTX enabled at 1080p.

Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd to 3.9GHz
MSI Ventus 2060 OC'd to 2010 MHz
16GB 2666MHz RAM
Asus Prime B350 Mobo.

Any other titles I should check out for pure eye candy? Moved up from a 780 and the difference is staggering so far!

Is your RAM only rated for 2666MHZ? If you can overclock it I would Ryzen benefits massively from higher clocked RAM.
farcry5-ddr4-clock-speeds-normal.png

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is your RAM only rated for 2666MHZ? If you can overclock it I would Ryzen benefits massively from higher clocked RAM.

It's only rated for 2666 sadly. I've tried manually overclocking it but I'll be honest, I have no sodding clue what I'm doing when it comes to the timings etc :(

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's only rated for 2666 sadly. I've tried manually overclocking it but I'll be honest, I have no sodding clue what I'm doing when it comes to the timings etc :(

Ahh alright, I wouldn't worry about it too much you'll still get more than enough performance out of those sticks just notice it and thought I'de say something in case there was an option.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ahh alright, I wouldn't worry about it too much you'll still get more than enough performance out of those sticks just notice it and thought I'de say something in case there was an option.
Appreciate it dude :) I wanted to get some higher clocked when I upgraded shortly after the initial Ryzen launch, but it was prohibitively expensive to do so (around an extra £80/90 just to jump to 2933)

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Asrock deskmini Ryzen version is officially out
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158064

2 liter Ryzen based Mobo/PSU/Case/Wifi for $150

Compared with avaialbe mini PCs out there, that seems like a really good deal. When you add ram, APU and storage it should be like +300. That's still lower than a comparable NUC barebones and you get a lot better performance. If the rumored 8 Core Zen2+Navi 20 APU is true, that could be a legit system. I wish it had 2 display ports instead, who needs VGA?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Compared with avaialbe mini PCs out there, that seems like a really good deal. When you add ram, APU and storage it should be like +300. That's still lower than a comparable NUC barebones and you get a lot better performance. If the rumored 8 Core Zen2+Navi 20 APU is true, that could be a legit system. I wish it had 2 display ports instead, who needs VGA?

A lot of business environments (which I'm guessing this is aimed at) still use VGA monitors. At least it has HDMI out. I'm seriously considering grabbing it but I'm torn between it and a Radeon DGPU NUC that'll be a similar price after building.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Quoting for new page :)

What audio solution are people using?

I've currently got a cheap-ish logitech 5.1 system but we're moving soon and I might not be able to set it up the way I want to again, so I'm considering alternatives. I'm usually not one to game with headphones, but I'm thinking about a decent surround headset and maybe a pair of bookshelf speakers and a DAC.

I'd love to hear your suggestions :)

E: just wanted to add that the main obstacle to headphones is that I'm still struggling to find a pair of over-ears that's comfy for more than an hour of continuous use. As far as speakers go I would totally go with something like a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set, but it's impossible to find one where I live.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017

Intel 660p
WD Blue 3D NAND
Crucial MX500

For what it's worth - I've had the ASUS VG248QE for several years now and it's been fantastic - I don't know what a curved monitor would be like when it's 23" though. It strikes me as a tad small!

Thanks that looks like a good monitor, but I'm really trying to stay under $200 since I went over budget on the build. Do I really need 144hz for my build right now? Or can I get away with 120hz or even 75hz like i was looking at because of places likes Tom's hardware and other sites recommended on budget monitors...

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
The 660P is an NVMe drive, so while it's not the fastest around it is technically significantly faster than the SATA drives you have listed there. However, practical speed differences tend to be harder to discern, particularly if you are going to use the drive for gaming.
Cheers guys - Yeah after looking at some charts the 660p looks really nice at around £110. Hard to say no to that.

Thanks that looks like a good monitor, but I'm really trying to stay under $200 since I went over budget on the build. Do I really need 144hz for my build right now? Or can I get away with 120hz or even 75hz like i was looking at because of places likes Tom's hardware and other sites recommended on budget monitors...
It depends on how long you plan on keeping the monitor for. I made the jump from 60 to 144hz and was blown away. To me I'd much rather wait for an extra months pay to come in and get something that I know I'd be happy with, rather than buying something lesser and then regret it after.

It also depends what you play - Fast paced games really do shine more than Dota etc. And then making sure that your PC can run said games at 144fps stable. Hope that helps and didn't muddy the water!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Was wondering if anyone in this thread could help with an issues i've been having with my AMD Radeon R9 270.
So, ever since I updated my drivers a couple weeks ago i've been getting constant error messages from the graphics card crashing, the error message is "Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected crash".

Has anyone else had this issue and know how to fix it? I can't do anything on the PC since every time I open an app it forces closes due to the GPU crashing.
I'd really appreciate the help since I need my PC to stream and edit content.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
getting one more ssd with 1tb because 1tb is not enough anymore and I can't accept to have hard disks on my PC anymore.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to go to a 4TB spinning disk so I can consolidate my data into one set of backed up drives. I already have a 4TB external drive from some crazy sale last year. I've always bought WD Blues for this, any reason not to now? The drive mainly holds my camera RAWs and my Plex library.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
id say go for the RMA anyway. They replaced my H60 even when it was out of warranty and ive had good experiences with their RMA process in general. When i received the replacement H100iV2, it was in a brand new retail box with all fans, screws, brackets, and cables. so if anything you can just sell the replacement.
Wow, good call. That's really good service. I might do that.

I'm still having my problem with my RAM not working in dual channel configs after installing my new cooler. I read that it could be because it's installed too tight or too loose, but I don't think so - I unscrewed and rescrewed not applying excessive force. Would I have other symptoms if this were the case - if my memory controller was busted/blocked somehow ? Everything else works fine.

What I tried:
- booting with 1 stick, loading BIOS defaults, disabling XMP profile, and then adding the other stick.
- manually changing the memory clock multiplier to 21.33, trying one stick at at time
- flashing my BIOS. I did this but I haven't tried to move around the RAM again. Maybe this will help, i'll try later this weekend

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Wow, good call. That's really good service. I might do that.

I'm still having my problem with my RAM not working in dual channel configs after installing my new cooler. I read that it could be because it's installed too tight or too loose, but I don't think so - I unscrewed and rescrewed not applying excessive force. Would I have other symptoms if this were the case - if my memory controller was busted/blocked somehow ? Everything else works fine.

What I tried:
- booting with 1 stick, loading BIOS defaults, disabling XMP profile, and then adding the other stick.
- manually changing the memory clock multiplier to 21.33, trying one stick at at time
- flashing my BIOS. I did this but I haven't tried to move around the RAM again. Maybe this will help, i'll try later this weekend

What happens when you boot with 2 sticks installed?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
if I use alternating slots (both red slots or both black slots), I get Error code 55 on my motherboard which which is memory initialization error. Doesn't post/goes into a boot loop. Even though the LED on both RAM sticks lights up
if I put them right next to eachother it boots fine

This is my Mobo
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl-bios

I'de check for bent CPU pins had a nearly identical issue that ended up being that. I had installed my CPU slightly wrong and it bent a single pin.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience buying new monitors from Ebay sellers? I'm looking for a Gsync monitor trying to find deals and Ebay just has great prices compared to regular retailers. Some of them say new (other) but the sellers have high ratings. Just thought I'd check here before making the plunge.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone have experience buying new monitors from Ebay sellers? I'm looking for a Gsync monitor trying to find deals and Ebay just has great prices compared to regular retailers. Some of them say new (other) but the sellers have high ratings. Just thought I'd check here before making the plunge.

I've never bought a monitor on ebay but it's always a gamble. I've had people who shipped to me as soon as I ordered and even for less than their listed price after a quick message. I've also had an item that was 3 weeks late and I had moved in that time period and they refused to update the shipping address or issue me a refund. Argued withe them over the course of another week or 2 before I finally got a refund.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I would always buy a monitor under circumstances where I had recourse for bad pixels, banding, DSE, or light bleed. The panel lottery is such a big thing that I'd want to ensure I didn't get stuck with a lemon.

That and the manufacturer might pull a "non-authorized retailer" thing on you if the Ebay seller isn't Newegg or similar.

Oct 29, 2017
Years ago back in the "cheap Korean monitor" hype I got mine from Ebay, but because there was no alternative and had to have it shipped from overseas. This was from a seller that was know for selling those monitors. What you have to look for is that at the very least the seller is more of a serious store that operates thru Ebay.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

I would always buy a monitor under circumstances where I had recourse for bad pixels, banding, DSE, or light bleed. The panel lottery is such a big thing that I'd want to ensure I didn't get stuck with a lemon.

That and the manufacturer might pull a "non-authorized retailer" thing on you if the Ebay seller isn't Newegg or similar.
This is good advice. Sure, you might save a little money buying through Ebay. But you need to have the ability to easily return the monitor if there are dead pixels.

These guys selling monitors are just like you and me. Put yourself in their shoes for a minute. A buyer messages you two weeks after delivery and tells you "I have 1 dead pixel and want to return it". What do they say to that? Most of these guys don't have business accounts with distributors. They can't just return their returns. It's a huge liability for (non-business) sellers to even sell anything like monitors on Ebay. The buyer is always covered so tbh it's not that bad of an idea to buy one there if you find a good deal.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'de check for bent CPU pins had a nearly identical issue that ended up being that. I had installed my CPU slightly wrong and it bent a single pin.
I didn't take out my CPU, hopefully I didn't smush a pin when installing my cooler...is that easy to fix? Sounds scary.

Is there anything else I can check in my BIOS/windows that would maybe indicate a bent pin?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I didn't take out my CPU, hopefully I didn't smush a pin when installing my cooler...is that easy to fix? Sounds scary.

Is there anything else I can check in my BIOS/windows that would maybe indicate a bent pin?

Pop off the CPU, take a picture under good lighting, and then blow it up to see if any pin isn't facing the same direction as the rest. I actually got stubborn and managed to fix mine with a tweezer. Wouldn't recommend that but it's possible.

Last edited:

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Pop off the CPU, take a picture under good lighting, and then blow it up to see if any pin isn't facing the same direction as the rest. I actually got stubborn and managed to fix mine with a tweezer. Wouldn't reccomend that but it's possible.
Ughhhhh. I want to fix this problem but I'm scared to risk breaking my CPU. Thanks for the advice

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ughhhhh. I want to fix this problem but I'm scared to risk breaking my CPU. Thanks for the advice

Removing the CPU won't do any additional damage as long as you take it out correctly. By correctly I mean pulling it straight up out of the CPU socket gingerly after removing the retention plate holding it down.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Seems like a good deal, but you're really limiting yourself with the 65W maximum CPU. The 2200G and the 3300G would be the most powerful APUs you can use now and in the future.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I just looked up the specs for the 2200G, kinda went by memory on the 2400G.

We're close enough now to next gen (console and ryzen 3000 series) that I wouldn't advise anyone to build a system around a current APU.

Hopefully the 3400G or whatever it ends up being called has a notable bump in specs. Good thing is as long as asrock updates the BIOS it should support the 3000 series APU's.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully the 3400G or whatever it ends up being called has a notable bump in specs. Good thing is as long as asrock updates the BIOS it should support the 3000 series APU's.

I think the leaks say the 3300G is 65W, 6 cores, 15 navi cores. Only 3000 Ryzen APU that I've seen that is 65 and under.
3600G on paper sounds amazing.... if my computer died tomorrow I'd use my cellphone and just wait until it was released lol.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, i need help! I was feeling confident most of the way through the build until it was time to connect all these damn cables. Would anyone be willing to help a brother out? Im really freaking lost here. Most youtube videos just sorta gloss over this part of the build.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, i need help! I was feeling confident most of the way through the build until it was time to connect all these damn cables. Would anyone be willing to help a brother out? Im really freaking lost here. Most youtube videos just sorta gloss over this part of the build.
Have you watched the Tech Report guide? It's quite comprehensive. Combined with your motherboard manual you should be good. I've linked to the section that starts with motherboard cabling.

In general, you want to connect
1. ATX 24 pin connector from PSU to motherboard
2. 8 pin CPU power connector from PSU to motherboard.
3. One SATA data cable from each HD or SSD to the SATA ports on the motherboard.
4. One SATA power connector from each HD or SSD to the PSU.
5. The front panel power button/reset/LED cables to the relevant ports on the motherboard (you'll definitely want to look at the manual for that one).
6. Any USB2 or USB3 connectors on your case to the motherboard. Check carefully to ensure you connect USB2 cables to USB2 ports and same with USB3.
7. Any 3 or 4 pin fan connectors from the fans in the case to the motherboard.
8. Any front panel audio (3.5inch jack etc) from the case to the motherboard.
9. If you have a video card that requires a separate 6 or 8 or multiple power connectors, that cord should go from the PSU directly to the video card.

There's probably more on this checklist but I'm blanking on it.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Have you watched the Tech Report guide? It's quite comprehensive. Combined with your motherboard manual you should be good. I've linked to the section that starts with motherboard cabling.

In general, you want to connect
1. ATX 24 pin connector from PSU to motherboard
2. 8 pin CPU power connector from PSU to motherboard.
3. One SATA data cable from each HD or SSD to the SATA ports on the motherboard.
4. One SATA power connector from each HD or SSD to the PSU.
5. The front panel power button/reset/LED cables to the relevant ports on the motherboard (you'll definitely want to look at the manual for that one).
6. Any USB2 or USB3 connectors on your case to the motherboard. Check carefully to ensure you connect USB2 cables to USB2 ports and same with USB3.
7. Any 3 or 4 pin fan connectors from the fans in the case to the motherboard.
8. Any front panel audio (3.5inch jack etc) from the case to the motherboard.
9. If you have a video card that requires a separate 6 or 8 or multiple power connectors, that cord should go from the PSU directly to the video card.

There's probably more on this checklist but I'm blanking on it.
Ok think you can help me out a bit more? If im reading this right, my PSU came with a 4+4 CPU cable. But it doesnt match the 8 pin connections on my MB. One of the 4 pin sides of the cable matches with the 4 pin connections. The other half of the 4 pin cable kinda sorta matches with the adjacent half of the 8 pin connections in that the cable has round pegs and they fit into the square holes. Am i meant to plug in both ends or can i just plug in the one 4 pin half that does match and leave the other hanging? Hope you understood my newbie gibberish.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Ok think you can help me out a bit more? If im reading this right, my PSU came with a 4+4 CPU cable. But it doesnt match the 8 pin connections on my MB. One of the 4 pin sides of the cable matches with the 4 pin connections. The other half of the 4 pin cable kinda sorta matches with the adjacent half of the 8 pin connections in that the cable has round pegs and they fit into the square holes. Am i meant to plug in both ends or can i just plug in the one 4 pin half that does match and leave the other hanging? Hope you understood my newbie gibberish.

the 4+4 cable should have both ends that connect into the 8 pin on the mobo for the CPU. Try doing one 4 pin at a time, they're usually keyed to only go one way.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
the 4+4 cable should have both ends that connect into the 8 pin on the mobo for the CPU. Try doing one 4 pin at a time, they're usually keyed to only go one way.
The 8 pin goes like this

Circle, square, square, circle
Square, circle, circle, square.

My 4+4 cable is

Circle, square, circle, circle
Square, circle, circle, circle.

It will technically fit in that the round plugs can fit into the square pegs, but am i supposed to do it like that?

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I really want to upgrade my GPU but also don't wanna shell out tons of money right now. I currently am rocking an i7 8700 @ 4.5ghz, 16gb ddr4 and an oldie GTX 970 gpu. I was thinking of upgrading to either a 980ti or 2060. I can get a used 980ti for $300 or a used 2060 for around $550. I do plan on gaming on 1440p. What should I do? I want something to hold me over until Nvidia drops their next gen GPUs.

Thanks!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I really want to upgrade my GPU but also don't wanna shell out tons of money right now. I currently am rocking an i7 8700 @ 4.5ghz, 16gb ddr4 and an oldie GTX 970 gpu. I was thinking of upgrading to either a 980ti or 2060. I can get a used 980ti for $300 or a used 2060 for around $550. I do plan on gaming on 1440p. What should I do? I want something to hold me over until Nvidia drops their next gen GPUs.

Thanks!

2060 should be an all around better GPU and it supports future facing technologies that may become more prevelant as time goes on.

rtx-2060-review-sniper-4k.png

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Just built a new system and it's instantly crashing in prime95. It is also going to blue screen after a few cycles in the IntelBurnTest. How do I go about problem solving this? Does this mean my computer is unstable and will randomly crash? I've ran 3dmark/heaven and both are stable on the graphics end.

My set-up is
i5 9600k at stock
Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (from old build so I know its stable?)
EVGA 2080 XC2 ULTRA GAMING
Samsung 1tb sata m.2 drive (from old build, fresh windows install)
Corsair - RMx 650 W 80+ Gold (from old build)

Regret Truth

Oct 28, 2017
Looking(Hoping) for a "plug and play" upgrade for my current system.

2019-03-08-203012.jpg

Mobo: ASUS LGA1151
Power supply: CORSAIR HX750i, 750 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified

I'd like to play titles
( ie: Apex Legends, Anthem & Division 2) 60fps on high settings.

Is this doable? 1660? or 2060?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.