• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh my pc is officially dead :(

It was on its last legs. 10 year old pc served me well.

I'm planning to use the old hard drive as a secondary or third drive in the new one, is there anything I need to know before I do that? Any precautions? I'm just paranoid that I will wipe out my old hdd the second I install it in my new pc.
Just disconnect the HDD. If you are afraid of during Windows install, mistakenly selecting the HDD and deleting data on it, just install the HDD after putting / setting up your new PC together.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights:
- you could get a cheaper stopgap ryzen 2 (e.g. 2400g or even 2600) while waiting for ryzen 3 and reuse your whole platform later on

- best.case.ever. I got the mini dark tg and I'm super happy.

Overall: nice build!

I recommend swapping the:
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250GB (this is the latest model) ($117.99 @ PC-Canada)

Also Fractal has a new Meshify if you want that case with USB-C on the front (about $20 more US, although its way more spendy in ca). Also if you consider going down to Ryzen 5, also think about getting the latest chipset X470 which would be great for overclocking combined with that Dark Rock 4 and hopefully will have support for Ryzen 7 3700x.

Thanks for the input, guys. When it comes the cpu, once I make my choice, that's it for the next 4+ years lol. It's always been that way so that's why I really need to think about it.

That Fractal case looks really nice. What also sold me on it is that it's easy to clean. New egg has it for 104.99 cad right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it sounds like powersupply issue. If the machine powers off while powersupply is being taxed means powersupply is not sufficient for the load. Or has a issue, possibly bad caps or transistor.

Replace the Powersupply.
Spoke to the seller, tried to do a CMOS Clear, to put out and try different RAM slots, tried to take out the GPU, to no avail.

I'll send the unit back tomorrow and we'll see.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Pulled the trigger on a second hand 1080 ti, going from a 980 ti. Excited to see how that helps with my ultrawide monitor performance woes on the i7 4790k!

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
More people are also realizing how the one test AMD showed was one cherry picked benchmark and we have no idea how the test was run so everyone is still very much in the wait and see camp. I expect it to match the 9900k at around $400. The people who think that amount of power will come in at sub $300 are smoking crack.
Yeah, that's where I'm at too. I'm more excited about likely being able to buy the 9900k for around $400 in Q3 or Q4 this year, and use it with all my current components.

It's great that Ryzen is making some new awesome processors. I'm happy for the people that are looking to do Ryzen builds. It looks like they're about to make a really healthy jump with the next gen. But all of this reactionary hype over these leaked specs in regards to purported gaming performance on the Ryzen 3000s is way over the top. The pricing for AMD gaming cpus is very likely going to be right in line with Intel, especially in that $400-500 range.

The other thing that is really weird to me are all the people that have been saying things like "omg you need to get a Ryzen 2700x 2600x for gaming because you can replace it in a year with the new Ryzen 2 processors that fit the same AM4 motherboards". Well if you're buying a processor in order to replace it right away within a year then it isn't exactly the best recommendation for gaming processor now, is it? I've been reading those posts everywhere since last summer. Buy this thing so you can replace it? I mean get c'mon get real. It's obviously not the best choice for gaming if that's the case. Unless you are an expert at selling used equipment on BST forums then that's ridiculous for a 'buying' recommendation. Even if that was the plan you'd be looking in the < $150 range, which is buying a 2600 or less in order to rent it for a year.

Last edited:

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like alot of information has come out this week and prices overall, cpu, gpu and ram are going down. I'm looking at next month to order all parts I need.

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Yeah, that's where I'm at too. I'm more excited about likely being able to buy the 9900k for around $400 in Q3 or Q4 this year, and use it with all my current components.

It's great that Ryzen is making some new awesome processors. I'm happy for the people that are looking to do Ryzen builds. It looks like they're about to make a really healthy jump with the next gen. But all of this reactionary hype over these leaked specs in regards to purported gaming performance on the Ryzen 3000s is way over the top. The pricing for AMD gaming cpus is very likely going to be right in line with Intel, especially in that $400-500 range.

The other thing that is really weird to me are all the people that have been saying things like "omg you need to get a Ryzen 2700x 2600x for gaming because you can replace it in a year with the new Ryzen 2 processors that fit the same AM4 motherboards". Well if you're buying a processor in order to replace it right away within a year then it isn't exactly the best recommendation for gaming processor now, is it? I've been reading those posts everywhere since last summer. Buy this thing so you can replace it? I mean get c'mon get real. Unless you are an expert at selling used equipment on BST forums then that's ridiculous for a 'buying' recommendation. Even if that was the plan you'd be looking in the < $150 range, which is buying a 2600 or less in order to rent it for a year.

Yeah I see that all the time also. "Buy the 2600 now and sell it in 6 months or whenever new cpus come out and upgrade". Its honestly awful advise. By they time you buy Ryzen 2 now, go through the trouble of selling the thing for half the price if you are lucky and buying a new cpu when zen 3 comes out you could have got a 9700k and skipped out on all the bs of reselling and losing money on something you have only had a few months.

Bright-Light

Oct 29, 2017
What do actually get from a better motherboard? My friend is telling me to get an Asus hero motherboard which is about £140 more than the ones people usually suggest. In understand what each component if a PC does aprt from a motherboard. Is it not just usb ports? Or is it more than that?

Last edited:

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I see that all the time also. "Buy the 2600 now and sell it in 6 months or whenever new cpus come out and upgrade". Its honestly awful advise. By they time you buy Ryzen 2 now, go through the trouble of selling the thing for half the price if you are lucky and buying a new cpu when zen 3 comes out you could have got a 9700k and skipped out on all the bs of reselling and losing money on something you have only had a few months.

Well, i´ve done that, bought a 2600 while waiting for the 16 core zen 2, i really dont see what it the issue. Yes, i will lose money in the end but if i went for the 9900K i would spend more at the time of purchuase without upgrade path to a 16 core variant in the future.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
What do actually get from a better motherboard? My friend is telling me to get an Asus hero motherboard which is about £140 more than the ones people usually suggest. In understand what each component if a PC does aprt from a motherboard. Is it not just usb ports? Or is it more than that?

Can have more/different ports and have a better BIOS/support/warranty. I'd say the main thing though is that a better board allows for better overclocking of your CPU due to higher quality board components (think things like capacitors or voltage regulator modules). If you're running something at 100% stock speeds though (no manual overclocking on your behalf), for most use-cases, the board's overclocking capabilities doesn't matter. There are a few exceptions though, like with Intel's i9-9900k, where it'll boost to higher clock speeds differently depending on which motherboard you have even if you don't manually do any overclocking. That's mostly the exception, though, IMO.

Bright-Light

Oct 29, 2017
Can have more/different ports and have a better BIOS/support/warranty. I'd say the main thing though is that a better board allows for better overclocking of your CPU due to higher quality board components (think things like capacitors or voltage regulator modules). If you're running something at 100% stock speeds though (no manual overclocking on your behalf), for most use-cases, the board's overclocking capabilities doesn't matter. There are a few exceptions though, like with Intel's i9-9900k, where it'll boost to higher clock speeds differently depending on which motherboard you have even if you don't manually do any overclocking. That's mostly the exception, though, IMO.

Thank you.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Finally bit the bullet on a new GPU today. I was umming and ahhing between the 1660Ti and the 2060, went for the 2060 in the end. I still play at 1080p on a TV so it'll be more than enough for most games, and I wanna check out how good BFV looks with the ray tracing stuff...

I think I already know the answer to this, but just *how much* of a difference will I notice going up from a 780? :p (I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd to 3.9GHz)

Also plumped for a new case - got a Meshify C in white with a red front panel

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Finally bit the bullet on a new GPU today. I was umming and ahhing between the 1660Ti and the 2060, went for the 2060 in the end. I still play at 1080p on a TV so it'll be more than enough for most games, and I wanna check out how good BFV looks with the ray tracing stuff...

I think I already know the answer to this, but just *how much* of a difference will I notice going up from a 780? :p (I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd to 3.9GHz)

Also plumped for a new case - got a Meshify C in white with a red front panel

Ballparking here, but assuming no CPU bottleneck, the same settings, and raytracing off, something like 75-115% increase in your framerate.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Finally ordered the parts for budget build only thing i changed was getting two sticks of 4gb RAM instead of the one stick Bomblard put together for me since everyone said not to run single channel with Ryzen. Any monitor suggestions? I would like to get two monitors. Also any nice keyboard and mouse combos that won't break the bank?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Entirely new build, 1080p monitor. 2060 or 1660ti?

I'm stumped.
probably depends on what framerate you're looking to hit? Are you getting a monitor that performs above 100fps? Gsync or Freesync? If so, you'll appreciate whichever one is more powerful. I assume there are plenty of reviews that show both on an FPS chart to help inform your decision.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know anything about PCs. I was thinking about getting one just to play things like CSGO and minecraft, nothing too crazy. I would like to keep it under $1000. Are there and suggestions on what I should be looking at?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I don't really know anything about PCs. I was thinking about getting one just to play things like CSGO and minecraft, nothing too crazy. I would like to keep it under $1000. Are there and suggestions on what I should be looking at?
If you're only playing stuff like CSGO and Minecraft, you can probably get away with using integrated Vega graphics on something like a Ryzen 2400g and not need a dedicated video card if you're shooting for 1080p 60fps. You could then do a really small form factor or something

Not the best for AAA stuff but will play those lighter ones, as well as stuff that's less GPU intensive like emulation no problem

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
I need to consider this. Was it difficult removing the old material?

I've delidded 8700K's but was worried about the solder process.

Oh, and what was your performance result?

It's pretty easy with Quicksilver from Rockit Cool. Performance gain unfortunately isn't that much, 5-10 degrees at best. I will direct die mount it tho, so maybe it will perform even better.

Id say with quicksilver it's worth it because the risk of damaging the die is greatly reduced.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in the same boat as you are and only wanted it for my son for Minecraft, Roblox, and other light games. I like CSGO and will prob play Apex on it, and other PC games i missed since I'm a console gamer. Bomblard put this build together for me I just ordered all the parts for. I was going to go the integrated Ryzen APU route but decided just to build a cheap budget build. So this might work for you too..

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy with Quicksilver from Rockit Cool. Performance gain unfortunately isn't that much, 5-10 degrees at best. I will direct die mount it tho, so maybe it will perform even better.

Id say with quicksilver it's worth it because the risk of damaging the die is greatly reduced.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think I'd take the plunge for that difference, but that's a personal call. I know some just enjoy the chase.

I'm sitting here with an i7-8086K sitting in its box and a delidded 8700K in my HTPC that I use for gaming. The plan was to delid and swap in the 8086 b/c I think it's a batter sample. But I'm too lazy.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So, I'm thinking of upgrading my i5 8600k to another CPU. What are my choices considering I don't want to change my mobo? 9700k is what I'd like. Can't remember what my mobo is right now but the TDP I know the TDP is 95w for both and my i5 8600k is currently oc'd to 4.8ghz. 9900k is preferred but I believe it can draw upto 140w and I'm uncertain my PSU is quite there. Need to check. But would an 8 core 9700k be much better than a 6 core 8600k?

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you are and only wanted it for my son for Minecraft, Roblox, and other light games. I like CSGO and will prob play Apex on it, and other PC games i missed since I'm a console gamer. Bomblard put this build together for me I just ordered all the parts for. I was going to go the integrated Ryzen APU route but decided just to build a cheap budget build. So this might work for you too..
Do you also have to buy Windows?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That's a good combo, having a dedicated GPU costs more of course but puts it on a totally different echelon of gaming capability.

If you if you wanted to look at a similar prebuilt, there's one on sale at Best Buy with similar specs (prob cheaper quality parts though) for $749 and $6XX open box. It includes windows and a keyboard + mouse too

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...shed-hairline-pattern/6280608.p?skuId=6280608

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I think my fucking gpu is done. For the last week, PC keeps freezing at random times, sometimes during boot up. When it finally manages to run, I get a notification saying "display driver failed to start". At this point, don't even know if it's worth buying a you specifically for this pc, or just building a new one. Using i980x with 24gb ram.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Well, i´ve done that, bought a 2600 while waiting for the 16 core zen 2, i really dont see what it the issue. Yes, i will lose money in the end but if i went for the 9900K i would spend more at the time of purchuase without upgrade path to a 16 core variant in the future.
That's fine; it's perfectly natural. That's how the upgrade process is designed to work. It's great that you have the ability to upgrade.

The issue is when someone asks "what should I get for a gaming CPU?" on here and then people respond with "get a 2600x/2700x". It's really an unhelpful, almost disingenuous answer much of the time, depending on its context. They aren't ideal gaming cpus and they certainly aren't good recommendations for future-proofing on a brand new gaming build. Worst of all, the rationalization for that template of answer is often because "get a 2700X they are good for gaming because that's what I bought".

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good combo, having a dedicated GPU costs more of course but puts it on a totally different echelon of gaming capability.

If you if you wanted to look at a similar prebuilt, there's one on sale at Best Buy with similar specs (prob cheaper quality parts though) for $749 and $6XX open box. It includes windows and a keyboard + mouse too

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...shed-hairline-pattern/6280608.p?skuId=6280608

I would have bought this had i saw it before I ordered my parts. But, I'm glad I didn't since I'll be able to upgrade down the line...

EDIT: After looking at the specs on bestbuy. The RAM is only 2666mhz and it's a Ryzen 2400. If it were a tad cheaper maybe. Still similar really similar to what I'm building...

Last edited:

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine; it's perfectly natural. That's how the upgrade process is designed to work. It's great that you have the ability to upgrade.

The issue is when someone asks "what should I get for a gaming CPU?" on here and then people respond with "get a 2600x/2700x". It's really an unhelpful, almost disingenuous answer much of the time, depending on its context. They aren't ideal gaming cpus and they certainly aren't good recommendations for future-proofing on a brand new gaming build. Worst of all, the rationalization for that template of answer is often because "get a 2700X they are good for gaming because that's what I bought".

Sorry, i misread the post, if thats the case i fully agree.

Wampa

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would love another set of eyes to look at this draft of parts I want to use to build a new pc. I will be bringing over my existing GTX 1070.

NZXT H500 - Compact ATX Mid-Tower = $76.99
CORSAIR CX-M Series = $69.98
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO = $34.99
Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz - Combo Deal 1 = Total $354.98
ASRock Z390 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series - Combo Deal 1
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3000 = Combo Deal 2 = Total $159.99
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 = Combo Deal 2

Total: $696.93

I'm open to all feedback on parts if their better alternatives out there.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I would love another set of eyes to look at this draft of parts I want to use to build a new pc. I will be bringing over my existing GTX 1070.

NZXT H500 - Compact ATX Mid-Tower = $76.99
CORSAIR CX-M Series = $69.98
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO = $34.99
Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz - Combo Deal 1 = Total $354.98
ASRock Z390 Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series - Combo Deal 1
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3000 = Combo Deal 2 = Total $159.99
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 = Combo Deal 2

Total: $696.93

I'm open to all feedback on parts if their better alternatives out there.
The 212 EVO has a $10 mail in rebate... But at $35, you might also consider the 212 Black Edition. Quieter fan, easier mounting system. Or the Cryorig H7 at $38 (a bit better than the 212 EVO in both cooling and noise).

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my new build last week:

AMD Ryzen 2700X
Asus Crosshair Hero VII motherboard
32GB G-Skill DDR4 3200 RAM
Sandisk 1 TB Extreme Pro M.2 SSD
Thermaltake 1000w Gold PSU
Powercolor Radeon VII GPU
Corsair C70 drab green case
LG 32GK650F-B 32" FreeSync monitor

Ended up using the old C70 that I bought for two builds ago, always loved that case and it was still in good shape. I agonized over going with a 2080 Ti but a) every single 2080 Ti available at Microcenter and every in-stock 2080 Ti online that I can find are $1200+ b) Microcenter had this open box VII for $620, with the three game bundle c) NVIDIA has no support for VRR over HDMI and probably won't until the next RTX iteration? I planned to buy The Division 2 at release anyway, and RE2 is awesome, so I just couldn't pass up 2080 performance for almost $200 less plus games that I actually want. I grabbed a FreeSync monitor to replace my GSYNC one, got a great deal on it, and passed my GSYNC monitor to my wife.

Some pics:

JP266CR.jpg

coTfoJU.jpg

sV43ioD.jpg

I left the top fan slots open because I'm going to replace the Wraith cooler with an AIO watercooled unit, but the AMD cooler is fine for now.

This is probably the simplest build that I have ever done. No spinning disk drives, no optical drive, everything went right together. Games run great. The only complaint I have is with Guild Wars 2. It is not well-optimized for Ryzen, seemingly, or effectively multithreaded at all. I'm getting drops to the 40s in crowded areas.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed Polygon is offering a deal w/ B&H for a Zotac 2080 AMP at $660.

Meh.. I glanced and saw this on their USA warranty page:

Warranty claims will be void if the user:
  • Tampers, defaces, or removes any stickers indicating void warranty if broken.

And as we know, such practice is illegal.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...panies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

I've never heard anything particularly good or bad about Zotac but I'll give it a pass just based on that nonsense. I know a lot of companies have done this in the past but it's easy enough to grab an EVGA card and bypass it.

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Finished my new build last week:

AMD Ryzen 2700X
Asus Crosshair Hero VII motherboard
32GB G-Skill DDR4 3200 RAM
Sandisk 1 TB Extreme Pro M.2 SSD
Thermaltake 1000w Gold PSU
Powercolor Radeon VII GPU
Corsair C70 drab green case
LG 32GK650F-B 32" FreeSync monitor

Ended up using the old C70 that I bought for two builds ago, always loved that case and it was still in good shape. I agonized over going with a 2080 Ti but a) every single 2080 Ti available at Microcenter and every in-stock 2080 Ti online that I can find are $1200+ b) Microcenter had this open box VII for $620, with the three game bundle c) NVIDIA has no support for VRR over HDMI and probably won't until the next RTX iteration? I planned to buy The Division 2 at release anyway, and RE2 is awesome, so I just couldn't pass up 2080 performance for almost $200 less plus games that I actually want. I grabbed a FreeSync monitor to replace my GSYNC one, got a great deal on it, and passed my GSYNC monitor to my wife.

Some pics:

JP266CR.jpg

coTfoJU.jpg

sV43ioD.jpg

I left the top fan slots open because I'm going to replace the Wraith cooler with an AIO watercooled unit, but the AMD cooler is fine for now.

This is probably the simplest build that I have ever done. No spinning disk drives, no optical drive, everything went right together. Games run great. The only complaint I have is with Guild Wars 2. It is not well-optimized for Ryzen, seemingly, or effectively multithreaded at all. I'm getting drops to the 40s in crowded areas.
Where did you find a Radeon VII in stock?

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to overclocking my gtx 1070 Ti for extra performance at 4K (+152 on the core, +502 on the memory). For now, rather than upgrading to Turing I'm planning to continue just holding onto it.

Last edited:

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I was running into a TON of problems with my water cooler, Corsair H100i v2, that I had for like 2 years now. After completely uninstalling/reinstalling/reapplying thermal paste/fucking with that awful corsair LINK programs multiple times, I gave up. My fans and pump were both blasting constantly and my CPU would hit 100c. I left my desktop turned off for like a month. Fuck the Corsair H100i V2.

Today I installed a Noctura NH-U14 and it's pretty great so far. I have a 6700k (stock 4GHz) and my idle temps are around 25c, and so far seems to usually stay within the 30s during web browsing and games. Pretty sure it's quieter and cooler than my H100i ever was, although I guess it's been a while since that's been working properly.

Experiencing a new issue now though, my 16GB RAM (2x 8GB) now only works in single channel configurations. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and it reports error code 55 if I use slots 1,3 or 2,4 . OR, I would try the same thing again and it would boot but only report 8GB in the BIOS (even though the LED on both sticks would light up). Each stick works by itself and each slot seems to work too. I'm running 16GB on slots 3 and 4 now. I removed a stick and replaced it while installing the Nocturna, but the same configuration as before no longer works. I tried loading defaults in the BIOS and with XMP enabled and disabled, but I can't get dual channel working...

This is my RAM:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236079

and my motherboard:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835

Windows reports my RAM speed as 3200 MHz in the single channel setup I have now

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not noticing any sort of performance difference using slots 3 and 4, but I'm just annoyed and confused why I'm suddenly having so much trouble with this

Last edited:

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a budget build that can play Apex @ 1080P 60 FPS. What are my options? No more than £500 - £600.

Oct 29, 2017
Looking for a budget build that can play Apex @ 1080P 60 FPS. What are my options? No more than £500 - £600.
Something like the Entry-level Quad-core build in the OP, but if budget allows, a RX 580 instead of a RX 570. The prices of the 580 are more competitive now because of recent nvidia releases, but it is a matter of looking for deals. You may be able to find a Motherboard+CPU combo on sale that also make it easier to fit in the budget.

I don't know what settings he has, but JayzTwocents has a video showing the performance on APEX Legends of that CPU + GPU combinations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9aRzfF4WCw

Status
Not open for further replies.