• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

So I went into my router and noticed that my PC is only connected to the 2.4ghz channel but I can't seem to see a setting in the device properties to guide it towards 5ghz.

At least I know what I'm looking for now.

Thanks again.

Does your router have the option to have separate SSID for 2.4G and 5G? That's the easiest way to deal with these issue, you can choose which one to connect this way but lose out on seamless roaming which isn't really necessary.

if the driver doesn't have prefer 5G options, it's possible to change it by messing with windows registry but I don't recommend it and it's not clear what you should be doing for that specific driver unless somebody else on internet have done and posted about it.

you should have a setting in device manager though. look at this picture for an example from Intel AC card. It should be something like.
Vafay40.png

Last edited:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I'm still using my Mx500, but it's starting to have an issue where every now and then when I don't click with enough gusto I won't register. So I've just started clicking harder.
I've had the opposite problem - Logitech mice I've purchased have switches that wear out and start registering double clicks instead. It's why I've sworn off their mice until they announce they've actually improved their switches.

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed this video today:

So would it be wise to just wait about 2-3 months to really go all in for a high end PC build?

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

So would it be wise to just wait about 2-3 months to really go all in for a high end PC build?

In the U.S. isn't there still a risk prices will rise across the board as Trump tariffs start to affect the new supply brought into the States? Currently there is that warehouse surplus, but it won't last forever. (video appears to be South African?)

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!

In terms of GPUs, I don't know that you need to wait except if Nvidia gets more aggressive on prices after the bad news on RTX sales. I also would suggest that if you're aggressive on weekly or email sales from places like Newegg, you might get a fair deal for components even not counting some of the industry trends discussed in that video. If you want higher end graphics cards, they're out now: are we expecting a new high-end card from Nvidia in the next three months, for example?

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Does your router have the option to have separate SSID for 2.4G and 5G? That's the easiest way to deal with these issue, you can choose which one to connect this way but lose out on seamless roaming which isn't really necessary.

if the driver doesn't have prefer 5G options, it's possible to change it by messing with windows registry but I don't recommend it and it's not clear what you should be doing for that specific driver unless somebody else on internet have done and posted about it.

you should have a setting in device manager though. look at this picture for an example from Intel AC card. It should be something like.
Vafay40.png

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

The driver for my PCE-AC68 doesn't offer the same extensive settings as yours and no setting really stood out to adjust. However I did change the '802.1n preamble' setting from Auto to Mixed Mode and somehow that has made my wireless card lock onto the 5ghz channel.

I'm now getting 110mb down and 25 up! Yay.

Having done some reading I'm not sure why that change helped but I'm not complaining.

Thank you again. Without your help I wouldn't have known where to look to fix my problem.

My mind can now rest 😂

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
If money is tight, the RTX 2070. Otherwise the RTX 2080, its a better deal. Recoup some cost by selling the games.

Also, check out the EVGA cards, they have amazing warranty support.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Ohio
Hey, I'm building a PC for my brother in-law, and I haven't built a newer one in a couple of years, and was looking for a little insight, and opinions.

He's starting from scratch, so he needs just about everything, and this is what I've come up with. His budget is roughly $2000, and he wants it to last a while.

Let me know what you all think.

Build

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Hey, I'm building a PC for my brother in-law, and I haven't built a newer one in a couple of years, and was looking for a little insight, and opinions.

He's starting from scratch, so he needs just about everything, and this is what I've come up with. His budget is roughly $2000, and he wants it to last a while.

Build

Solid build, however, I'd wait to see what the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series can do. That is if he can wait. Supposedly that will be this July.

If not...

Maybe swap out the Ryzen 5 for a Ryzen 7 2700, non-X, if he isn't up for overclocking. You also have to Wifi adapters on this build. Ryzen's like higher clocked memory, maybe move to 3000 or 3200 memory if possible.

Even still, that's a solid build.

May 31, 2018
Ohio
Solid build, however, I'd wait to see what the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series can do. That is if he can wait. Supposedly that will be this July.

If not...

Maybe swap out the Ryzen 5 for a Ryzen 7 2700, non-X, if he isn't up for overclocking. You also have to Wifi adapters on this build. Ryzen's like higher clocked memory, maybe move to 3000 or 3200 memory if possible.

Even still, that's a solid build.

I'll definitely take a look at the 2700, and see where we come out price wise. Thanks for the insight on the higher memory clocks, I'll take a look at that as well.

Much appreciated.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Build

if his budget is about $2k, there's enough headroom here to go up to a rtx 2080. also, if it's primarily a gaming machine and not much else, a core i5-8400 is the same price and gets better performance in most games (though the ryzen is often faster in non-gaming workloads).

$89 for an air cooler is also a bit overkill imo

May 31, 2018
Ohio
if his budget is about $2k, there's enough headroom here to go up to a rtx 2080. also, if it's primarily a gaming machine and not much else, a core i5-8400 is the same price and gets better performance in most games (though the ryzen is often faster in non-gaming workloads).

$89 for an air cooler is also a bit overkill imo

It's going to be a bit of both, gaming and home PC use. Was trying to find the best balance between the two, and I came up with the Ryzen, and I've always been historically an AMD guy. So, I feel a bit more comfortable building around them. Hahaha

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
I see. I think it's just the sad reality of how DP works: Devices trying to communicate with each other and then acting according to what some developer thought to be the smart thing, disregarding actual use cases. I too have suffered quite a bit unter DP doing similar things and rearranging my windows desktop against my actual desires, when turning a screen off.

Yeah, I gave up on worrying about rearranging icons and just threw them all in one folder. I just want to avoid random freezing and black screens forcing me to restart. At this point, I'll just take knowing if it's a monitor (xb271hu) or Windows issue.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Even with all the useful information in this thread, and the links in the OP, I am so unsure on how to go about my new PC build.

I've built almost all of my PCs in the past, but I always did it on a budget because I was poor. I finally make good money, and can buy whatever components I want, but I also don't wanna spend out of the way if I don't have.

Things like storage, RAM and GPU are easy for me to understand, but CPU and motherboard stuff has always perplexed me. I wanna make a PC that can current games at 4k/60fps, but I just don't know what components are good enough for it, or just overkill.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I was just browsing PC partpicker at video cards and apparently there is a massive price drop on the Vega 56?

like Memory Express in Canada just halfed the price from $890 to $440 and that comes with the coupon and you are all 3 games, so that's bananas.

Based on a google search this os going to be official and drop everywhere in the morning I suppose?

For a slight bit more you can sill get a lower end 2060 but still jesus AMD going for the throat of the 1660.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I would change the boxed windows for a cheap key from resellers and swap to GTX 2070. Also swapping the 2700 to a 2600 would get you GTX 2080.
I don't quite follow. You mean doing it like you said gains a lot of power compared to the old build I made? If so would this one be okay?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3,6 GHz (4,25 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM4 processor (costs €229)

or would this one be enough:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3,4 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM4 processor (ciasts €169)

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite follow. You mean doing it like you said gains a lot of power compared to the old build I made? If so would this one be okay?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3,6 GHz (4,25 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM4 processor (costs €229)

or would this one be enough:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3,4 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM4 processor (ciasts €169)
Depends on what monitor and resolution you'll be playing, 60hz or 144hz?

2600 is more than fine for 60fps gaming and the money is better spent on the GPU.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what monitor and resolution you'll be playing, 60hz or 144hz?

2600 is more than fine for 60fps gaming and the money is better spent on the GPU.
I'm actually using my TV, not a monitor.

I changed the config to this:

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit software € 109,-
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3,4 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM4 processor € 169,90
1 x ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING, socket AM4 moederbord € 79,
1 x Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit werkgeheugen€ 128,90
1 x Corsair TX750M, 750 Watt voeding € 107,90
1 x Corsair 100R Silent Edition tower-behuizing € 54,90
1 x Kingston A400, 120 GB SSDI € 21,99
1 x WD Red, 2 TB Harde schijf € 77,90
1 x GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8G grafische kaart € 535,-

Would that be enough, or is the CPU a bit too slow for this?

Thanks again for looking.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Yeah, I gave up on worrying about rearranging icons and just threw them all in one folder. I just want to avoid random freezing and black screens forcing me to restart. At this point, I'll just take knowing if it's a monitor (xb271hu) or Windows issue.

Freezing sounds rather severe. Are you at the same time running some programs that cause this when the monitor configuration "changes" (in the eyes of Windows)? That being said, I think the underlying issue however is more a Windows (or rather DP-standard)-issue rather than one caused by the specific monitor itself.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually using my TV, not a monitor.

I changed the config to this:

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit software € 109,-
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3,4 GHz (3,9 GHz Turbo Boost) socket AM4 processor € 169,90
1 x ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING, socket AM4 moederbord € 79,
1 x Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit werkgeheugen€ 128,90
1 x Corsair TX750M, 750 Watt voeding € 107,90
1 x Corsair 100R Silent Edition tower-behuizing € 54,90
1 x Kingston A400, 120 GB SSDI € 21,99
1 x WD Red, 2 TB Harde schijf € 77,90
1 x GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8G grafische kaart € 535,-

Would that be enough, or is the CPU a bit too slow for this?

Thanks again for looking.
Yeah 2600 will handle 60fps TV gaming fine.

You can get a Windows 10 key for like €5 by searching from allkeyshop if you don't mind grey sellers.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here used a Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080? I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and while this card has a great price, I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $200CAD to go for something like the ASUS Strix OC instead.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1060 and I think I'm just going to wait for 2020, these cards seem ok but I'd like a bigger jump.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm thinking of buying this guy's PC for $1000 with the following specs - 8700K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, etc

Good deal?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
1160Ti seems good value when on a small sale. it's 1070 GTX but with a new architecture in vulkan and dx12 should go even past 1070 in future games. OC'd it should go way over it.

When it's $100 cheaper than 2060 it's a good buy imo. It should get there.

Last edited:

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
AMD dropping Rx 56 to $279 to combat 1660ti seems insane. 8gb hbm2 for $279 has to be like break even right? Wonder how much overstock of those cards they have.

Maybe I'm making incorrect assumptions but the price wars definitely seem afoot.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
AMD dropping Rx 56 to $279 to combat 1660ti seems insane. 8gb hbm2 for $279 has to be like break even right? Wonder how much overstock of those cards they have.

Maybe I'm making incorrect assumptions but the price wars definitely seem afoot.

It's the first price war in quite a while.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
My latest idea for my new gaming build.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.97 @ Mike's Computer Shop)

Canadian prices are hard on someone.
Currently no Videocard because I have no idea which to get & how much to spend on it. 2060's are 500$cad, plus we are on the cusp of a price war. I game at 1080p/60hz but I plan to get a new monitor in 2020.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone aware of a mini-itx case able to fit a Noctua NH-D14 along with a GTX 1080ti with a closed loop (Corsair Hydro GFX, same as a MSI Seahawk)? I was looking for either the Fractal Design Nano S or the NZXT H200 but neither seems to have enough space for the D14 to fit alongside the radiator of the 1080ti at the back exaust of the case and I'm not sure I could place the radiator at the top of the case either. All I'm left with would be the front intake position but then I there would be no intake position left.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Newegg was selling the Vega 56 for $250 with three free games earlier today.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd definitely get the Vega 56 if I was looking for a sub $300 card right now. Especially if you want the games in the AMD bundle (RE2, DMCV and Division 2).

Opium

Oct 30, 2017
Over the past 2 months I gathered parts for the upgrade and this week finally completed the build with a 2080 and a new monitor. Rest of the specs are [email protected], Strix 390-E, 32GB, Corsair RM850.
After 3 years spent with a GTX970 on 1080p@60, ascending to ultrawide 1440p@100 feels real good man.

SEFZAuT.jpg

ps never going back to 16:9
s9e1p9J.jpg

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... So I'm using an i5-8400 right now which is an all right cpu. I've noticed that some games tend to be cpu bound lately... Especially the Ubisoft games...

Would switching to a water cooling AIO kit help with that versus the stock cooler?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... So I'm using an i5-8400 right now which is an all right cpu. I've noticed that some games tend to be cpu bound lately... Especially the Ubisoft games...

Would switching to a water cooling AIO kit help with that versus the stock cooler?
I don't think the 8400 is one of those Coffee Lakes that were throttling a lot and it can't be overclocked so I would say no.

The 8400 is actually still a great CPU so you aren't going to get a huge improvement in upgrading right now.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Heads up: BH Photo is selling the msi 1660s for a better value than other places. Pre-ordered the Ventus model for 260.
I was looking at the MSI Gaming X for a bit... They had it at $289, but just went up to $309. (I'm not in dire need of a card, this would just be for a secondary build.)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the 8400 is one of those Coffee Lakes that were throttling a lot and it can't be overclocked so I would say no.

The 8400 is actually still a great CPU so you aren't going to get a huge improvement in upgrading right now.
Thanks... Yeah I wouldn't want to actually upgrade the CPU since I actually bought it for AC Origins cause I couldn't even watch a Youtube video on my second screen while playing the game on my old CPU lol.

Now it's FC New Dawn that is making my second screen is chugging a bit.

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
Freezing sounds rather severe. Are you at the same time running some programs that cause this when the monitor configuration "changes" (in the eyes of Windows)? That being said, I think the underlying issue however is more a Windows (or rather DP-standard)-issue rather than one caused by the specific monitor itself.

Just a bunch of Chrome windows/tabs and Steam, don't think anything major is running in the background.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I was looking at the MSI Gaming X for a bit... They had it at $289, but just went up to $309. (I'm not in dire need of a card, this would just be for a secondary build.)

Ah damn! That's what I was worried about. My 770 2gb is long in the tooth so I thought the Ventus for 260 would be a good jump for me. I hope it's not bottlenecked much by my i5-6600k.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Almost (almost...) getting buyer's remorse on my new 2070 with all these AMD deals + 3 game bundle. BFV or Anthem is such a trash bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.