• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try using HWInfo64 to track what WoW is doing to your CPU. I think it just hits 1 core hard.

The Chrome thing might be a bug causing it to suck CPU resources when it shouldn't.
Yeah, WOW is using 1 core until the next patch. Next patch has hyper threading support. I just updated Google Chrome. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or does it seem potentially cheaper to go with pre-built like ibuypower or cyberpower these days? Even when you opt out of their random "big name brand" stuff and go with normal brands like corsair, evga, etc.

My 3770k machine is starting to not act so happy so I've been looking around. I wanted to wait until next gen CPUs but it seems like those might be delayed further so the 9000 series is interesting to me. I usually build my PCs but they are good price with 2070's and 9700ks..

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
What you save in money you more than make up for in quality of components. Enjoy the aftermarket PSUs and really shitty GPU.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So if anyone would like to be outraged with me, Asus has scrubbed their product pages to remove all references to 8 phase VRM on their Z390 lineup.

I mean at least they are advertising it like it is NOW, but it should have never been marketed as 8 phase to begin with.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
..you can choose to not go with aftermarks and better gpus, though. that's my point.
You mean on their sites where you get to choose components and such? Cuz i've parted out builds before using their websites and choosing similar or better components and it's still not even close. Not to mention on their websites you get charged a Build fee.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or does it seem potentially cheaper to go with pre-built like ibuypower or cyberpower these days? Even when you opt out of their random "big name brand" stuff and go with normal brands like corsair, evga, etc.

My 3770k machine is starting to not act so happy so I've been looking around. I wanted to wait until next gen CPUs but it seems like those might be delayed further so the 9000 series is interesting to me. I usually build my PCs but they are good price with 2070's and 9700ks..
I think that completely depends on the price of said pre-built. I bought a budget pre-built from cyberpowerpc last black friday and was pleasantly surprised with what I got. They basically pick from the same diy parts that you would if you were to build your own. If we're talking a savings of a couple hundred by going pre-built, I'd probably go for it.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
So I'm looking to start buying parts for my first built PC, which will be used mostly for gaming. I'm very new to this so I could really use some advice. Read the OP and saw the recommended builds, but I think i'm aiming for something in between the Intel Mid and High-End builds. I'd say my budget is around $1500, but am willing to go lower or higher if the bang for the buck is a big difference. Also would like it to be upgrade-able in the future.

Also, I have a friend who works at Intel that gets 50% off any CPU that's in stock in their store. Should I go ahead and get the i7-9700K for $205, or is that so unnecessary for gaming that I won't need that strong of a CPU for anytime soon and stick with an i5-9600K for $130? Not looking to overclock them, is the noise difference big? And would both of them need a $50 to $80 extra cooler?

I was thinking of going for the 1070-Ti since it seems to be a decent jump from the 1070 for less than about $60 more, and the 1080 doesn't seem to be a big jump and the 1080-Ti very expensive.

The other components are just whatever works with my CPU and GPU, right? Other than that, what should I be looking for in the other parts that will decide how easy it is to upgrade the graphics card?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm looking to start buying parts for my first built PC, which will be used mostly for gaming. I'm very new to this so I could really use some advice. Read the OP and saw the recommended builds, but I think i'm aiming for something in between the Intel Mid and High-End builds. I'd say my budget is around $1500, but am willing to go lower or higher if the bang for the buck is a big difference. Also would like it to be upgrade-able in the future.

Also, I have a friend who works at Intel that gets 50% off any CPU that's in stock in their store. Should I go ahead and get the i7-9700K for $205, or is that so unnecessary for gaming that I won't need that strong of a CPU for anytime soon and stick with an i5-9600K for $130? Not looking to overclock them, is the noise difference big? And would both of them need a $50 to $80 extra cooler?

I was thinking of going for the 1070-Ti since it seems to be a decent jump from the 1070 for less than about $60 more, and the 1080 doesn't seem to be a big jump and the 1080-Ti very expensive.

The other components are just whatever works with my CPU and GPU, right? Other than that, what should I be looking for in the other parts that will decide how easy it is to upgrade the graphics card?

If I had a friend at Intel buying me a half price CPU I'd be going ham.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendation for chairs? I'm fine with gaming/racing style chairs but I honestly know nothing about them and which ones are good. I was actually looking into a secretlabs titan seat since I keep seeing ads for them online and the reviews seem nice, but it might end up being too big for me 5'8" here). I just want something comfortable with good armrests and back support

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
ok so im at my fuckin wit's end with this h100i v2 AIO and its high temps. ive reseated numerous times, re applied paste numerous times, tightened mounting screws numerous times, added two more fans for push pull, and these temps keep creeping back up. each time i think ive solved the issue because temps become reasonable but that doesnt last long. ive moved the pump to a dedicated pump header on the mobo, had it on the cpu fan header and made sure it was receiving full power at all times. corsair icue says the pump is running at max speed. when its working right, i can feel the heat being pushed out from the rad. when its not working and temps are high, i cant feel any heat coming up from the rad. i suspect its the pump that isnt doing its job despite icue stating its working at 3k rpm. what tests can i perform to confirm this? bout to just grab a tried and true air cooler.
The AIO probably has a obstruction and blocking water flow. I had the same issue with a H110i gtx. I RMA it and was sent a brand new one. I haven't open it since I replace it with a Kraken X62.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So a question for the overclocking experts:

I used to work on a Mac Pro, and I had a PC by its side such that my work and play ecosystems were separate. As Apple neglected the Mac Pro, my work gradually migrated to my play machine. As such, I backed off the overclocking and went for stability.

Now I own this 9900K, and my first inclination was to go for the 95W setup.. which sorta sucks. Now I'm thinking adaptive voltage, but with an all core 4.7GHz turbo mode that is indefinite as needed (Hanbrake encodes, gaming, etc). My work isn't really CPU intensive.

As I look around, I see a lot of recommendations to avoid adaptive voltage and go for a straight clock. This seems counter-intuitive to me, but I'm trying to be open minded. Should I reduce the complexity and just set the CPU to 4.7.. or go through the trouble to figure out the adaptive bits? The argument seems to be that the higher frequency with no load isn't really pulling any current, so it doesn't matter (or it's negligible).

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
So a question for the overclocking experts:

I used to work on a Mac Pro, and I had a PC by its side such that my work and play ecosystems were separate. As Apple neglected the Mac Pro, my work gradually migrated to my play machine. As such, I backed off the overclocking and went for stability.

Now I own this 9900K, and my first inclination was to go for the 95W setup.. which sorta sucks. Now I'm thinking adaptive voltage, but with an all core 4.7GHz turbo mode that is indefinite as needed (Hanbrake encodes, gaming, etc). My work isn't really CPU intensive.

As I look around, I see a lot of recommendations to avoid adaptive voltage and go for a straight clock. This seems counter-intuitive to me, but I'm trying to be open minded. Should I reduce the complexity and just set the CPU to 4.7.. or go through the trouble to figure out the adaptive bits? The argument seems to be that the higher frequency with no load isn't really pulling any current, so it doesn't matter (or it's negligible).
I always use adaptive because it allows the Vcore to drop when the CPU downclocks which leads to less power usage and lower thermals. Not sure why people are saying something different now. Even, the Asus 9900K / 9700K guide still suggest using adaptive voltage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXH2YIMi2Y

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
ED894-DAD-2364-4-DD9-8916-0242-A99-C2-A4-A.jpg

Hey friends! I bought the rest of my PC parts on Black Friday, and just want a sanity check with some of you to make sure I didn't mess up. I'm making this after effects workstation slash moderate gaming machine!

Things I'm wondering a bit about:
-I'm hoping to overclock my ram slightly
-And possibly over lock my CPU a bit as well (or get a higher adaptive ceiling if possible)

I won't have more than a single GPU, and I might add 32gb more ram, 1 spinny hard drive and ssd in the future as needed.

My 650W PSU should be able to handle this yes?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

I'd get the 9700k. That's an amazing price and it'll last you for a long time. I think the difference in price is definitely worth considering getting it.

I like your 1070 Ti decision for the reasons you listed.

If this is mainly gaming, get 2x8 GB of RAM. 16 total GB will be plenty for gaming. Get a Z390 motherboard. Get a 650w power supply and you should be more than good for any future GPU upgrade wattage-wise. And yeah, I'd spend $50-$80 on a good air cooler even if you don't plan to overclock, as that'll allow the cooler to run pretty quietly as you'll presumably get s high quality cooler. I like Noctua, be quiet!, and Cryorig coolers. Check out the NH-D15S and NH-U14S.

Any recommendation for chairs? I'm fine with gaming/racing style chairs but I honestly know nothing about them and which ones are good. I was actually looking into a secretlabs titan seat since I keep seeing ads for them online and the reviews seem nice, but it might end up being too big for me 5'8" here). I just want something comfortable with good armrests and back support

I don't know enough to suggest one, but most gaming/racer chairs are overpriced crap. Just FYI!

ED894-DAD-2364-4-DD9-8916-0242-A99-C2-A4-A.jpg

Hey friends! I bought the rest of my PC parts on Black Friday, and just want a sanity check with some of you to make sure I didn't mess up. I'm making this after effects workstation slash moderate gaming machine!

Things I'm wondering a bit about:
-I'm hoping to overclock my ram slightly
-And possibly over lock my CPU a bit as well (or get a higher adaptive ceiling if possible)

I won't have more than a single GPU, and I might add 32gb more ram, 1 spinny hard drive and ssd in the future as needed.

My 650W PSU should be able to handle this yes?

650w should be fine unless you're really cranking the overclock on your CPU and running it at max capacity. Even then, probably more than enough. What is this PC for?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
The AIO probably has a obstruction and blocking water flow. I had the same issue with a H110i gtx. I RMA it and was sent a brand new one. I haven't open it since I replace it with a Kraken X62.
seems to be a common enough issue just based on my google searching. ive opened a support ticket with corsair, ill see what they say. ive dealt with a corsair rma before for my H50 AIO cooler's pump. it was out of warranty period but they still replaced it. google search revealed that there was a known issue with the pump. is this sort of par for the course when it comes AIO's? or is it time for me to change manufacturers?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Current specs:
S7FAo0F.png

Also, think I have a 550W power supply.

1) What's your budget?
Under $2K, but I might be able to go a bit over if I'm convinced.

2) What do you want to use the computer for?
Gaming and general use (browsing, streaming, listening to music, etc.).

3) How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
Doesn't have to be immediately, but I'm starting to feel like I'm bumping up against performance issues in games I'm playing (Blops 4, want to get Battlefield soonish if possible and would have to upgrade at least my CPU to meet the min specs for that), so sooner rather than later.

4) Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
I'd like to reuse any parts I already have (see above) if possible.

5) Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
Mainly looking for parts, but if I can squeeze a quality G-sync monitor and some quality desktop speakers (not surround, don't have anything behind me to place the rear speakers on) in I'd be very interested.

6) Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or videocard at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)
If I can find a guide for dummies, yes, but I haven't really had any luck in such a thing.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Just upgraded my rig, here's what I now have:

GTX1080
DZ37ON wifi MTX motherboard
DR4 2400 16 gigs ram
i5 8400

Just got it home and for some reason my PC won't pick up my wifi signal.

Any ideas?

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your help. Geez, I have no idea about the channel. Not sure how to find out either...

You should be able to see the channel # in the control panel of your WiFi router; you can change the channel there too (to a non-DFS one). If you have a Mac, there is a built-in tool, Wireless Diagnostics, that you can use to view the channel # (Open the app > Click Window in the top menu bar and choose Scan > Find your hotspot, the channel is listed in the table).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So while I was looking to build 2 computers I did see this on newegg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...topComputers-_-9SIA4P08EF4527-S0P&ignorebbr=1
HP OMEN 870-244 Desktop Computer Intel Core i7 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 1TB Hard Drive

how do the 7th gen i7 compare to say AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

as with my friend's help I was putting together
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VyPVRJ
YxUxukC.png

which while this has a bit higher quality parts, and faster ram over all I feel like that hp omen should be similar but cheaper.

I will still likely build one computer though as I already have one 1070 around so I can get my build down $100, though it's also slightly tempting to just spend the 100 more and have an extra 1070 lying around in case I fry one, though it sounds like the omen doesn't support multiple hard drives very easily unless I remove the dvd drive.

so just wanted some thoughts on that omen.

note: I already bought 1tb ssd drives to put in my eventual new computer so I will just replace that drive in the omen.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...pComputers-_-9SIAHRC8DU4320-S3A5B&ignorebbr=1 also looked slightly interesting but given the video card doesn't match in the title vs description i'm not 100% sure what I'm getting with that.

I think newegg will have the 2700x for 269.99. Not sure how solid of a deal that is though, but it does look like a tempting upgrade over my 3570k
amazon is also matching that.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After sometime now with my new PC, the thing that is almost shocking to me is how remarkably quiet it is.

The Noctua NH-D15S is so damn silent, even when the CPU is under heavy use.

The case fans I picked thanks to the builds in the OP are also extremely quiet (be quiet! silent wings 3).

And finally the GPU fans are surprisingly quiet too even when at 100% (2080 Ti FE).

Just wanted to say this in case someone looking at the thread is considering any of these parts.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
After sometime now with my new PC, the thing that is almost shocking to me is how remarkably quiet it is.

The Noctua NH-D15S is so damn silent, even when the CPU is under heavy use.

The case fans I picked thanks to the builds in the OP are also extremely quiet (be quiet! silent wings 3).

And finally the GPU fans are surprisingly quiet too even when at 100% (2080 Ti FE).

Just wanted to say this in case someone looking at the thread is considering any of these parts.

I always feel safe recommending Noctua or be quiet! products; they're almost always relatively quiet. Thermalright has some good, quiet stuff, too. I'm sure other brands do as well (Cryorig for example), but I lean towards the Noctua and BQ! stuff if they're within someone's budget. I'm impressed at your 2080 Ti FE though, I haven't ever tested one in-person and just assumed they'd be kinda loud despite being dual-fan. What case do you have?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always feel safe recommending Noctua or be quiet! products; they're almost always relatively quiet. Thermalright has some good, quiet stuff, too. I'm sure other brands do as well (Cryorig for example), but I lean towards the Noctua and BQ! stuff if they're within someone's budget. I'm impressed at your 2080 Ti FE though, I haven't ever tested one in-person and just assumed they'd be kinda loud despite being dual-fan. What case do you have?

The Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass, which also came with great cable management already done for the case cables.

The 2080 TI FE impressed me too, a far cry from the days GPUs could sound like jet engines.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
In the same boat as nicoga... hoping for some good cyber monday deals

Yup...Gonna keep my eyes peeled. I'm looking to spend ~$1200-1300 if anyone sees this and notices anything worthwhile...

I think newegg will have the 2700x for 269.99. Not sure how solid of a deal that is though, but it does look like a tempting upgrade over my 3570k

I've never done anything but Intel. I don't know why, but I haven't. And I don't know if I can get myself to. Just a weird loyalty that my brain can't shake I guess!

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Recently got a new case (NZXT H500) along with two fans (Corsair SP120 White LED) and now the temps on my R6 1600 are roughly 55 C in demanding games such as Battlefield V. I also got a new PSU, the Corsair CX550M.

Do you guys think I'm good to go for some overclocking on my CPU? My GPU is GTX 970 so I think I have some headroom in PSU for overclocking. I'm just not sure whether should I get a new cooler as well? I'm on the boxed cooler right now. I don't know if I want to get an air cooler or AIO. It's probably a stupid thing, but I want my case to look nice (which is why I bought fans with white LEDs) and I don't really fancy air coolers.

Another question is, the fans are kinda louder than I would like them to be on idle. Maybe a custom fan curve in bios would do the trick? Or is that normal? Along with the two SP120s I have two NZXT fans that came preinstalled (they are due to be replaced with something with LEDs, don't judge :( )

Nov 1, 2017
I finally went ahead and bought a new PC, 150€ for a Ryzen 2600 is just too good to pass.
After selling my old stuff, I will have paid around 300€ for the CPU, a B450m motherboard, 16 GB of 3000MHz RAM and a shiny new case. Not sure if I really needed it but my 4670k definetly starts showing its age.
I thought about waiting for the Ryzen 3600 but who knows when it actually comes out and whether it will ever be as affordable.

Anyway, first time using tempered glass and RBG. Let's see if it looks as good as everybody thinks or if I turn it off after 5 minutes.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Dude at the store told me that if you have 144hz you don't need GSYNC... Like they're the same thing. That doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Someone once said that once either here or another forum, on a whole it's very incorrect and a tiny bit of truth. I got a 240Hz GSync and can sort of see what he's saying now since you can disable it and compare with it on and off. GSync does make a big difference, just need to make the most of it validate the high price.

For example I play lots of console ports (Samurai/Dynasty Warrios/Nioh etc.) and they are all locked 60fps, the PC hardware is already more than enough to handle screen tearing without g-sync. These games also have an internal frame rate lock of below 60hz. Something like a fluctuating at 58 which you can see with any inspecting software counter (Riva/Reshade). Long story short, whilst I won't let the hardware totally push me into new gaming directions I am definitely now looking at games with unlocked framerates that will validate the hardware. Not sounding elitist, but 60Hz is just low, not an opinion, but observable with simple screen panning (see UFO test when you get GSync). Back to the point, if all I played was these 60fps console ports I wouldn't see the price justifying the results and just stayed with a 60hz monitor. Apart from that, couldn't be happier with the improvement in games where it shines.

Soxfan

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I recently purchased the HP Omen Obelisk Black Friday Special from Best Buy but decided to return it and build my own. I was wondering if you can give my some final reccommendations?
Hoping to be around $2000.00 for the build

Case - NZXT H500i
Processor - 9900K/8700k/2700x?
I never used AMD before and was wondering if the the reduced price of the AMD compared to the performance is best to go with that.
Motherboard - Recommendation AMD/Intel I figured to be around 150-200 on the motherboard
RAM - 16GB - G.Skill Tridentz DDR4 3000
GPU - RTX 2080
Not sure on the brand if anyone has a suggestion
Power Supply - Corsair HX850
Cooling - NZXT Kraken X62
The Dual 140 fans should fit in this case?
Storage - Samsunf 970 Pro M.2 Assuming I'll use this with the proper motherboard suggestion.
Extras - (Fans) Will I'll be needing any extra fans

Thanks for looking and any help/suggestions would be appreciated

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Yup...Gonna keep my eyes peeled. I'm looking to spend ~$1200-1300 if anyone sees this and notices anything worthwhile...

I've never done anything but Intel. I don't know why, but I haven't. And I don't know if I can get myself to. Just a weird loyalty that my brain can't shake I guess!

I can't do a full list on pcpartpicker so this will be rough.

Vega 56, $329.99 after rebate
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150819&ignorebbr=1
8700k/Asus Z370 Prime ATX, 410.88 after rebate
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3878111
8gb ram x2, 98.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFBZOVE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2TB SSD, 208.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078C515QL
550w EVGA PSU, 29.99 after clipping coupon and rebate
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285898-REG/evga_220_g2_0550_y1_nex_supernova_550g_gold.html
Pick your own atx case.
Total is $1077.85 (without case and after rebates) This was from 10 minutes of browsing r/buildapcsales. If you need windows then add $100 or get dirt cheap windows 7 keys.

I'm not on top of everything but this is a solid deal.

Can't go wrong with a 6GB 1060 or a 8GB 580 at $200. Great 1080p performance.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

How is the 2700x for gaming though? Don't know anything about the AMD CPUs. Currently running an i5-660k and want to upgrade my mobo/CPU since I just got my 2070. Don't know if this is it though.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a XB271HU that was on sale for $519 on B&H. I feel like crying because this is something I've wanted for a long time, but also it hurts my wallet and I don't know, I'm getting emotional. I've used this main monitor for 9 years and I hope this monitor lasts just as long. I'm scared and excited at the same time.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
How is the 2700x for gaming though? Don't know anything about the AMD CPUs. Currently running an i5-660k and want to upgrade my mobo/CPU since I just got my 2070. Don't know if this is it though.
I can only guess from benchmarks. Compared to my 3570k, it seems to have similar single thread performance improvements as a haswell upgrade for me, as well as significantly faster performance in multithreaded apps.

Is your cpu a 6600k? I was thinking of the old i5 660

Status
Not open for further replies.