• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my computers sound. Last night my house got hit by lightning and I think it messed something up with my computer's sound volume. The computer was on a surge protector and seems otherwise unaffected, but I noticed the volume is now really low on everything. I have the volume output maxed on windows and the volume mixer, as well as on the headphones and VLC, and the sound is barely audible (I would describe it as quiet). Could the amplifier have been damaged, or would I hear nothing at all if that were the case?

I already tested the headphones on another device and they seem ok, so I'm ruling that out.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on putting a htpc together with a 9900k as well. It's not the better price to performance buy versus the 2700x for certain (for now), but Intel cpus do have extra headroom even if they don't show it right now at higher resolution gaming. It's an expensive up front purchase but it's only a one time purchase for a cpu hopefully I wont have to switch out for 5 to 7 years. My thinking is the 9900k will flex it's muscle more as more powerful graphics cards come out in future years. I usually grab a new gpu every two to three years, so that would mean at least two gpu upgrades with the 9900k. As gpus get faster the 9900k can feed these gpus more data more quickly. I thought about going with a 2600x now, and then upgrading to a 4700x in a couple years but at this point I'm probably paying more than a 9900k anyway. In addition, swapping out a gpu is much easier than a cpu.

Plus I figure with the next playstation and xbox they won't be so unbalanced to the gpu side anymore that the cpu will get more love again, which means the cpu should be more useful on the pc too. So that's my thought process for going with the 9900k, I could be wrong and none of this happens.

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So it looks like the Fractal Define S2 has launched and I'm honestly a little confused at what they're shooting for. It seems to use a lot of the same tooling as the R6 and is the same price.

https://youtu.be/IRXgEAQwj08
https://youtu.be/VwjLtbEnkg4
https://youtu.be/RVFZeoMaf_Q

From the videos is seem it's just slightly better for custom loops while the R6 is better for adding a ton of storage. For a general builder, though, I can't see how either of those would make a significant difference.

The front panel connectors might honestly be the determining factor for me.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
"Budget" isn't probably the right word for it, is why. I'd guess it's gonna be on the higher-end of prices for CPUs when compared against all Intel and Ryzen CPUs.
Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote that word. I couldn't come up with something better. But many alleged leaks have suggested the 9600K will be in the $259 price range, which should make it a very appealing CPU option for gaming builds. Especially compared to a $469+ 9900k. It would also likely be cheaper than that at Microcenter.

There's just a lot of "I'm getting the 2080 Ti", "I have to have the 9900K" people out there. But they are also the vocal minority. I know from experience that there are a lot of high mid-range gaming builders out there that like the newest and the greatest every few years too, without having to spend an arm and a leg. The 8600K types. Which was a very practical purchase for predominately gaming builds.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Aside from losing hyper-threading, these 9600K and 9700K processors are going to largely replacing the 8600K and 8700K's that people are buying today. Early reports are that there isn't actually going to be that much processing power lost (through lack of hyperthreading), which is opposite of the way most rhetoric is being used in online discussions.

I am interested to see how all of this shakes out in performance reviews. If the new processors suck, then everyone is going to want the 9900K's. Plus Intel has already asserted to investors that the next gen 10nn process chips will be in full production by the middle of 2019.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will this work?
http://a.co/d/6a3tcOA

I can't seem to find a straight up amplifier, but sound is not my forte and I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Let me check the description:

It is also suitable for sound card in the computer/laptop/desktop that dying or losing connection with motherboard. You can also use mic and headphone together on iMac/Mac Mini devices with our product.

Their english is even more broken then mine, but this could be an usb soundcard. A cheap and horrible sounding soundcard, but it should be a substitute for your mb sounddevice.

You could also try using a cheap headphone amplifier. All you need to do is connect your MB soundcard to it and use it to turn up the volume. Something like this could work:
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS/

No idea what's better for you though.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote that word. I couldn't come up with something better. But many alleged leaks have suggested the 9600K will be in the $259 price range, which should make it a very appealing CPU option for gaming builds. Especially compared to a $469+ 9900k. It would also likely be cheaper than that at Microcenter.

There's just a lot of "I'm getting the 2080 Ti", "I have to have the 9900K" people out there. But they are also the vocal minority. I know from experience that there are a lot of high mid-range gaming builders out there that like the newest and the greatest every few years too, without having to spend an arm and a leg. The 8600K types. Which was a very practical purchase for predominately gaming builds.
I believe the lack of interest in the 9600k is that it might not be that different than the 8600k, except perhaps being soldered. It will still be one of the best cpus for gaming but it seems like a straight refresh cpu. You can look at a 8600k benchmark and basically know what to expect. The 9700k and 9900k get more interest having extra cores though if we are talking sales I agree the 9600k may sell the most.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I believe the lack of interest in the 9600k is that it might not be that different than the 8600k, except perhaps being soldered. It will still be one of the best cpus for gaming but it seems like a straight refresh cpu. You can look at a 8600k benchmark and basically know what to expect. The 9700k and 9900k get more interest having extra cores though if we are talking sales I agree the 9600k may sell the most.
Good points.

So it looks like the Fractal Define S2 has launched and I'm honestly a little confused at what they're shooting for. It seems to use a lot of the same tooling as the R6 and is the same price.

https://youtu.be/IRXgEAQwj08
https://youtu.be/VwjLtbEnkg4
https://youtu.be/RVFZeoMaf_Q
I am in the market for a new case so these videos were interesting. Thanks for sharing them! That's a nice looking case. I'm still debating on whether or not to get something like the R6 with an optical bay.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Asus Prime Z370 A mk II

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A-II/

The Prime Z370-A II's CPU VRM utilizes Dr. MOS power stages that combine high-side and low-side MOSFETs and drivers into a single package, delivering the power and efficiency that Intel's latest processors demand.

Compared with traditional power inputs, ProCool sockets are built to tight specifications to ensure flush contact with the PSU power lines. This lowers impedance, which helps to prevent hotspots and connector failure.

So we will need new z370 boards for the 9700k/9900k? I thought they were supposed to run on "original" z370 and new z390 boards had a new integrated intel wifi/usb 3.1 controller.
Do we really need a new MB for every CPU upgrade Intel? Or will old z370 boards support them, but all those mid-range 140-180€ boards (without high end components) will start running hot or maybe over-clocking won't be possible in a similar way?

Meanwhile old AM4 boards will support AMDs 2019 ryzen 3000 lineup, that is supposed to have up to 16 physical cores and a 10-15% increase in clockspeeds (sounds a bit too good to be ture, imo). Upgrading on AM4 is less expansive and way less of a hassle because of this Intel. Changing a MB takes time and is a real pain.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
So we will need new z370 boards for the 9700k/9900k? I thought they were supposed to run on "original" z370 and new z390 boards had a new integrated intel wifi/usb 3.1 controller.
Do we really need a new MB for every CPU upgrade Intel? Or will old z370 boards support them, but all those mid-range 140-180€ boards (without high end components) will start running hot or maybe over-clocking won't be possible in a similar way?

Meanwhile old AM4 boards will support AMDs 2019 ryzen 3000 lineup, that is supposed to have up to 16 physical cores and a 10-15% increase in clockspeeds (sounds a bit too good to be ture, imo). Upgrading on AM4 is less expansive and way less of a hassle because of this Intel. Changing a MB takes time and is a real pain.
*shrug* I was just reading yesterday how the Z370 boards will support the 9900K. Information seems to be all over the place. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-9900k-price-amazon,37871.html

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm pulling my hair out with Windows 10 running on two different displays.

How do I make it so that the display I open something on is the display that it shows up on? Why isn't that obviously the way it works by default? Soooo goddamn frustrating coming to this after using multiple desktops on macOS for so long.

My TV is in another room. I don't have a wireless keyboard or mouse in there. Steam somehow set my TV as the primary display in BPM then failed to change back to my monitor after I quit. So now the only way I can get back to using my monitor is to unplug the TV's HDMI cable from my GPU. The second I plug it back in, the TV becomes the primary display again. I can't open display settings to change it because the window just opens on the TV and not my monitor, where I clicked it.

WTF Microsoft?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Oh fuck yes y'all. Went out tonight so not going to risk putting the block on drunk when I get home but tomorrow - it's happening

8ab0132e-ed18-4f8b-au9dq9.jpeg

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
After months of back and forth, I decided to wait for the i9 9900K over the Threadripper 2! But now I'm google the i9 every single day waiting for release date news lol ;(
I just hope it drops in October at some point...

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
At this point I really wish I had the patience to wait for next year's processors to come out. It sounds like great strides are actually going to be made by both Intel and AMD with their new processes. Unfortunately I don't think that I can wait that long. Besides, there is always something new coming out in the future.

But yes, we are in a definitely in the middle of a lull for performance gains. It's also scary how expensive this hobby is becoming as well as the new tariffs; it's just going to continue to get more expensive to stay current.

Luka

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm pulling my hair out with Windows 10 running on two different displays.

How do I make it so that the display I open something on is the display that it shows up on? Why isn't that obviously the way it works by default? Soooo goddamn frustrating coming to this after using multiple desktops on macOS for so long.

My TV is in another room. I don't have a wireless keyboard or mouse in there. Steam somehow set my TV as the primary display in BPM then failed to change back to my monitor after I quit. So now the only way I can get back to using my monitor is to unplug the TV's HDMI cable from my GPU. The second I plug it back in, the TV becomes the primary display again. I can't open display settings to change it because the window just opens on the TV and not my monitor, where I clicked it.

WTF Microsoft?

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. One trick is you can press Shift + right click on a window's icon on the task bar, then click Move to center the cursor on the top of a window. This allows you to move it even if it's off screen. It's a little finicky though, sometimes you have to click twice to make the window move.

After months of back and forth, I decided to wait for the i9 9900K over the Threadripper 2! But now I'm google the i9 every single day waiting for release date news lol ;(
I just hope it drops in October at some point...

I'm doing the same thing. The latest rumors I saw were Oct. 8th for news/preorders, then 19th for reviews and shipping. Just rumors though. FWIW Silicon Lottery has ETA of Oct. 26th.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Yeah, it's pretty annoying. One trick is you can press Shift + right click on a window's icon on the task bar, then click Move to center the cursor on the top of a window. This allows you to move it even if it's off screen. It's a little finicky though, sometimes you have to click twice to make the window move.

I'm doing the same thing. The latest rumors I saw were Oct. 8th for news/preorders, then 19th for reviews and shipping. Just rumors though. FWIW Silicon Lottery has ETA of Oct. 26th.
Yeah, I heard about the rumored news release on the 7th. Im gonna pre-order and pray on this one, Im also afraid prices might get crazy due to shortages also! As long as I can get this within the next month or two, it should be good.

Oct 29, 2017
At 8 cores a 9900K is probably in practice just as much HEDT as the i9 name implies, but faster single cores. I'm betting it would be a better artist workstation option on the intel side than 3/4ths of Skylake-X offerings. Better than anything at After Effects.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
At 8 cores a 9900K is probably in practice just as much HEDT as the i9 name implies, but faster single cores. I'm betting it would be a better artist workstation option on the intel side than 3/4ths of Skylake-X offerings. Better than anything at After Effects.
Funny you say that, because thats exactly what I am building it for, AE!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be going all in on a new PC soon. I'm not one for overclocking so I tend to stick with stock coolers, which will be fine if I go with an AMD build, but in the case I go with Intel I'd like some recommendations for a CPU cooler that's not some complete overkill case filler and is also easier to install than the hellish Intel coolers I've had to install in the past. There are a billion different Noctua and Cooler Master things to browse through, but I'd like some personal recommendations here.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm gonna be going all in on a new PC soon. I'm not one for overclocking so I tend to stick with stock coolers, which will be fine if I go with an AMD build, but in the case I go with Intel I'd like some recommendations for a CPU cooler that's not some complete overkill case filler and is also easier to install than the hellish Intel coolers I've had to install in the past. There are a billion different Noctua and Cooler Master things to browse through, but I'd like some personal recommendations here.
I have a Cryorig H7 (case filler) and M9 (more average size) on two different systems and they work great. They have a decently easy backplate mounting system.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
a CPU cooler that's not some complete overkill case filler and is also easier to install than the hellish Intel coolers I've had to install in the past. There are a billion different Noctua and Cooler Master things to browse through, but I'd like some personal recommendations here.

I went to All-in-One water coolers mostly to get something that's easy to mount. Beats any Intel stock cooler, Hyper-212, etc that I've dealt with over the years. I don't need the anxiety of those things any more.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I went to All-in-One water coolers mostly to get something that's easy to mount. Beats any Intel stock cooler, Hyper-212, etc that I've dealt with over the years. I don't need the anxiety of those things any more.

I'm the opposite, the 0.25% leak chance or whatever super low risk is enough to give me anxiety, so I got rid of my AIO and swapped to an air cooler.

In general, most stuff from Noctua, be quiet!, or Cryorig is great. Cooler Master and Deepcool have decent stuff, too.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That was weird. Installed my RTX 2080, replacing my 970.

Windows boots up, acts like it can't detect the GPU, so I uninstall the drivers using DDU. After checking geforce experience etc.

Reboot, still no luck, I retry Geforce Experience and get this:

6Y1fqiR.png

Anyway, I download the manual drivers, but before the drivers even finish downloading the monitor flickers and the problem seemingly has sorted itself? Haha

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Is the Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX still considered to be a good case? Looks awesome, and seems to have everything I would want in a case.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017

WTF Microsoft?
This doesn't solve your immediate problem, but will solve you not being able to see something that opens on another window.

Get a program called DisplayFusion. You can find it on steam. What I've done, is set up a keyboard command that switches monitor profiles based on what I'm doing.

Ctrl-Shift-1 is my PC gaming profile. Monitor 1 is set to default, 2 is extended, and 3 (My 4K TV) is disabled.
Ctrl-Shift-2 is my TV gaming profile. 3(4K TV) is default, Monitor 1 is extended, and 2 is extended.

Then, if something opens up on a monitor other than default, I have a keyboard shortcut/window button to consolidate all windows to the current screen. Ctrl-Alt-Win-M.

Combine all this with an app called Controller Companion, and I've mapped these shortcuts to buttons on my XBO controller, so I can activate them without a keyboard.

Both apps are on Steam. This works perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't solve your immediate problem, but will solve you not being able to see something that opens on another window.

Get a program called DisplayFusion. You can find it on steam. What I've done, is set up a keyboard command that switches monitor profiles based on what I'm doing.

Ctrl-Shift-1 is my PC gaming profile. Monitor 1 is set to default, 2 is extended, and 3 (My 4K TV) is disabled.
Ctrl-Shift-2 is my TV gaming profile. 3(4K TV) is default, Monitor 1 is extended, and 2 is extended.

Then, if something opens up on a monitor other than default, I have a keyboard shortcut/window button to consolidate all windows to the current screen. Ctrl-Alt-Win-M.

Combine all this with an app called Controller Companion, and I've mapped these shortcuts to buttons on my XBO controller, so I can activate them without a keyboard.

Both apps are on Steam. This works perfectly and I couldn't be happier.
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm thinking about getting an 8700k and z370 from microcenter today, and waiting for the 9700k's to drop. They have a 15 day return policy I think.

Is there anything I need to watch out for in getting a z370 board, so that I can put in a 9700k if I choose to do so?

Does evga have great mobo warranty as well?

Last edited:

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about upgrading from a GTX 1060 3GB to and RX 560 soon due to the performance issues the low VRAM of the 1060 seems to be giving me (most notably in FH4).
Is it all in my head or is this a good decision? Maybe wait for black friday and go for a bigger upgrade?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Thinking about upgrading from a GTX 1060 3GB to and RX 560 soon due to the performance issues the low VRAM of the 1060 seems to be giving me (most notably in FH4).
Is it all in my head or is this a good decision? Maybe wait for black friday and go for a bigger upgrade?

Is that even an upgrade? I mean 1GB more VRAM but everything else? Don't do that.

Definitely go for a bigger upgrade.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
a RX 560 would be a huge downgrade from a GTX 1060

(I advise watching on mute)

Even a 3gb 1050 bests it:

Get a 1070 or something

Status
Not open for further replies.