• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question about G-Sync. I have two G-Sync monitors but I was wondering, does it only work on the monitor set as Primary?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks man. I really appreciate it!

Short of actually sending examples, I'd say you should add monitoring for CPU Power and CPU Clock speed. I think you are just seeing the power/clock cycle fluctuations represented as CPU temps, especially when you try to break it down to a per-core basis.

Using HWiNFO64, I'd also like to see max Vcore, VCCSA, and VCCIO for your runs. That's what I'm wondering if the MB is over volting.

Example from my TR runs.. with 1080Ti @ 3440x1440, graphics set at max in game.

Max:
VCore - 1.184V
VCCSA - 1.224V
VCCIO - 1.192V

Again, I'm at stock speed.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Looking at a crimson canyon nuc with an 8th gen i3 and a Radeon 540 in it. Could anyone even hazard a guess as to how this would perform?

crimson-front-tilt.png

I didn't even know these existed until today and they sound like a beautiful system for an HTPC.
https://simplynuc.com/8i3cysn-full/

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
might have gone a little overboard
but went ahead and got the following

AMD Ryzen 2700X - S$399 (or US$285)
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME - S$504 (or US$360)
Micron 1100 2TB SSD - S$348 (or US$249)
US$ prices are given as a point of reference

feels like I went overkill on storage (the 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SATA may have been more than sufficient.)
- my Intel 730 480GB still okay... though it's almost full capacity
- should have used my NAS for storage instead of buying a 2TB SSD :/

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is a tangential issue at best but I don't know where to go with it otherwise.

Recently my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 cable broke. It has three pins, one for a mic and volume control for iOS devices which I don't use.

Could I replace that by a cable with only two pins? I found this for example.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Found it on the UK!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scanfx-hgc-osmi-an1001-mini-itx-case-81l-white-sfx-inc-140mm-led-fan

had to find the goddamn store using google maps, maybe the other stores across Europe on their site also have it.
Why is this a Europe-only thing? Guess they thought Americans only like it big and bulk or something...

I honestly am looking for other stores closer-by (country wise) that might stock it. Shipping cost is going to kill me!

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Trying to get some opinions on whether to get a new CPU or just put more ram in my PC to get more stable performance out of it. I currently have a 4690k with a 1080ti and 8GB of DD3 1600 MHz ram. Would I just be better served by getting another 8GB of ram? Or should I get a CPU like the i5 8400 or something from AMD? If I get the CPU I'd have to get a new motherboard and probably new ram to go along with it.

What performance are you experiencing that isn't stable?

I'd probably just go with more RAM.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
What performance are you experiencing that isn't stable?

I'd probably just go with more RAM.

Well by stable I don't mean anything like having crashes or things like that, I mean when I'm playing an open world game like AC Origins and the FPS just dips a bit too much for my liking. Basically what I want to get is more consistency and I'm not sure if that's because I finally need a new CPU or if because my PC is struggling with 8GB of ram.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Well by stable I don't mean anything like having crashes or things like that, I mean when I'm playing an open world game like AC Origins and the FPS just dips a bit too much for my liking. Basically what I want to get is more consistency and I'm not sure if that's because I finally need a new CPU or if because my PC is struggling with 8GB of ram.

Technically it's probably a bit of both but open-world games eat CPU, so that's likely your primary issue.

If you do play a lot of open-world games and want to remove any bottlenecks on that front it may be time for a new cpu/mobo/RAM combo (and I'd go with 16GB right off the bat).

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Technically it's probably a bit of both but open-world games eat CPU, so that's likely your primary issue.

If you do play a lot of open-world games and want to remove any bottlenecks on that front it may be time for a new cpu/mobo/RAM combo (and I'd go with 16GB right off the bat).

Since it's a 4690K do you have any room to overclock further? That'll quickly tell you if the CPU is the limiting factor.

Last edited:

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Since it's a 4690K do you have any room to overclock further? That'll quickly tell you if the issue is the CPU being the limiting factor.
Not really. I think the base is 3.50 but I can overclock through the bios to 4.25 and everything will still work fine but any higher like 4.38 which seems to be the max I can do through the bios and AC Origins will just crash the second the world loads in. I haven't tried it with other games at 4.38. I'm gonna try to get 50 bucks worth of DDR3 ram and see if that helps some, if it doesn't I'll only be out 50 bucks.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at a crimson canyon nuc with an 8th gen i3 and a Radeon 540 in it. Could anyone even hazard a guess as to how this would perform?

crimson-front-tilt.png

I didn't even know these existed until today and they sound like a beautiful system for an HTPC.
https://simplynuc.com/8i3cysn-full/

It depends on what source you would like to put through it. For 1080p it should be fine, but if you want 4k you would need something a bit beefier I think (plus also consider what HDMI version it has).

I was myself looking at something like an Intel Skull Canyon NUC - a lot more expensive but an absolute cracker (and futureproof) option.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have a newbie question...my case has room for 7 fans (not counting the CPU fan)...my proposed board (ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming) has 7 fan headers on it:

4-pin CPU_FAN
4-pin CPU_OPT
4-pin AIO_PUMP
4-pin M.2_FAN,
4-pin CHA_FAN1
4-pin CHA_FAN2
5-pin EXT_FAN

I know the CPU cooler goes into the CPU_Fan header but can I place my remaining fans in any of the other headers?...also do all case fans come with Molex plugs, 3 pin and 4 pin plugs?...so every fan (3 pin or 4 pin) I plug directly into the mobo is able to be monitored and controlled through the BIOS?

I also have an NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller...is it better to plug them all into the controller versus the motherboard fan headers?...what is the advantage of one over the other?

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I have a newbie question...my case has room for 7 fans (not counting the CPU fan)...my proposed board (ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming) has 7 fan headers on it:

4-pin CPU_FAN
4-pin CPU_OPT
4-pin AIO_PUMP
4-pin M.2_FAN,
4-pin CHA_FAN1
4-pin CHA_FAN2
5-pin EXT_FAN

I know the CPU cooler goes into the CPU_Fan header but can I place my remaining fans in any of the other headers?...also do all case fans come with Molex plugs, 3 pin and 4 pin plugs?...so every fan (3 pin or 4 pin) I plug directly into the mobo is able to be monitored and controlled through the BIOS?

I also have an NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller...is it better to plug them all into the controller versus the motherboard fan headers?...what is the advantage of one over the other?

What's your setup and how much heat will it generate? Maybe you don't need 7 fans. My case (InWin 101) could lodge 6 and I get by quite silently with 2 intakes and 1 outtake (i5-8400 & MSI 1060).

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What's your setup and how much heat will it generate? Maybe you don't need 7 fans. My case (InWin 101) could lodge 6 and I get by quite silently with 2 intakes and 1 outtake (i5-8400 & MSI 1060).

this is my proposed build
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQmddX

I'm going to re-use my current Lian Li A70B case...I could lose some fans but I would still want at least 5 case fans installed...can I connect them to any header on the mobo?...meaning the AIO_Pump or M.2_Fan header?...or is it better to connect them all to a fan controller like the NZXT Sentry 2?

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I recently removed a 200mm intake and two 120mm exhaust fans from my case. It's quieter and temps went up about 3C at idle and 1C at load. It's so negligible temp-wise but the noise difference went from a low hum to being essentially inaudible except under heavy GPU load (then, just barely audible) that it seems like a great "upgrade" for me.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, here we go. I have been posting on this thread recently following the new card drop from NVIDIA and pondering a new build, and I think I am coming to a point where I want to make a decision. For background, here is my current build that I put together in 2013:

CPU: i5-3570K
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LK 1155 ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 770 2GB
Storage: Samsung 840 PRO SSD 256GB; 2 Western Digital HDDs
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE
Case: Fractal Design R4

Have been using it to drive an ASUS 1080p 60 Hz monitor.

Now, I usually try to make my systems last around 4-5 years, so I am now over the five year mark and getting the itch. I had been holding off to see about a new NVIDIA card but I think they might be more than I am willing to spend unless the benchmarks are completely outrageous. Now for the questions:

1) What's your budget?
- Would like to stay between $1700-$2300 (including cost of monitor in this figure)

2) What do you want to use the computer for?
- Gaming, daily light office work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) - will be my main computer

3) How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
- As soon as possible, hopefully within 3-4 months

4) Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
- Yes. Will reuse HDD and SSD for bulk storage, though I would like a new, higher capacity SSD to use as my main drive.

5) Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
- I have a keyboard, mouse, headphones, and speakers already. I also want to upgrade to a 1440p 144 Hz monitor and would like some suggestions on that.

6) Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or videocard at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)
-Yes, would like the ability for some overclocking.

Here is what I threw together somewhat quickly on PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H6TWJ8

Admittedly, that is without the normal amount of research I usually put into parts but I just wanted to give an idea of what I am looking at. My main goal is to have a machine that would allow me to play current and upcoming titles. I play some FPS like Overwatch, interested in BFV, and would also be able to play some titles from my backlog that I have held off of for lack of power, like Batman: Arkham Knight and Fallout 4. I would like a machine that would allow me to play these titles at +60 fps at High-Ultra settings as long as possible, though I know I will likely have to turn down some settings after a year or two. So, can I? And if not, help me out please.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
1) What's your budget?
Around ~2.500€

2)
What do you want to use the computer for?
Games at @60fps. 4k if possible, otherwise, 1080p

3)
How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
This year. Might wanna grab the 2080 Ti

4)
Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
Will sell all old parts (maybe I will keep the 256GB SSD)

5)
Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
Want a nativ 4k monitor with lowest input lag possible. Gsync is a plus. Can be push the budget.

6)
Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or videocard at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)
Yes, within reasonable levels.

Need a new case, but don't care for form factor and I hate LEDs.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Okay, here we go. I have been posting on this thread recently following the new card drop from NVIDIA and pondering a new build, and I think I am coming to a point where I want to make a decision. For background, here is my current build that I put together in 2013:

CPU: i5-3570K
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LK 1155 ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 770 2GB
Storage: Samsung 840 PRO SSD 256GB; 2 Western Digital HDDs
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE
Case: Fractal Design R4

Have been using it to drive an ASUS 1080p 60 Hz monitor.

Now, I usually try to make my systems last around 4-5 years, so I am now over the five year mark and getting the itch. I had been holding off to see about a new NVIDIA card but I think they might be more than I am willing to spend unless the benchmarks are completely outrageous. Now for the questions:

1) What's your budget?
- Would like to stay between $1700-$2300 (including cost of monitor in this figure)

2) What do you want to use the computer for?
- Gaming, daily light office work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) - will be my main computer

3) How soon do you plan to purchase the parts and build it?
- As soon as possible, hopefully within 3-4 months

4) Are you going to reuse any parts (upgrading) or are you building a completely new computer from scratch?
- Yes. Will reuse HDD and SSD for bulk storage, though I would like a new, higher capacity SSD to use as my main drive.

5) Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers?
- I have a keyboard, mouse, headphones, and speakers already. I also want to upgrade to a 1440p 144 Hz monitor and would like some suggestions on that.

6) Are you interested in overclocking? (Overclocking is running components such as the processor or videocard at a higher speed than they come from the factory. It can give additional performance but can come with consequences such as increased heat (requiring better cooling), higher power consumption, possibly more noise, and stress testing to ensure that the overclock is stable.)
-Yes, would like the ability for some overclocking.

Here is what I threw together somewhat quickly on PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H6TWJ8

Admittedly, that is without the normal amount of research I usually put into parts but I just wanted to give an idea of what I am looking at. My main goal is to have a machine that would allow me to play current and upcoming titles. I play some FPS like Overwatch, interested in BFV, and would also be able to play some titles from my backlog that I have held off of for lack of power, like Batman: Arkham Knight and Fallout 4. I would like a machine that would allow me to play these titles at +60 fps at High-Ultra settings as long as possible, though I know I will likely have to turn down some settings after a year or two. So, can I? And if not, help me out please.

As far as it goes that all looks good. There are alternatives (ex Ryzen) but nothing definitively better anything else would be a sidegrade where one thing is better but another suffers or swapping some components with cheaper ones to save money. Is there anything else you're looking for? Would you like to save some money with alternative albeit slightly lower quality parts?

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
As far as it goes that all looks good. There are alternatives (ex Ryzen) but nothing definitively better anything else would be a sidegrade where one thing is better but another suffers or swapping some components with cheaper ones to save money. Is there anything else you're looking for? Would you like to save some money with alternative albeit slightly lower quality parts?

Like what, for example? I would be open to suggestions of alternatives, certainly, without straying too far in overall performance.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Like what, for example? I would be open to suggestions of alternatives, certainly, without straying too far in overall performance.

Example of a Ryzen build that still meets all your requirements (monitor is just a stand I haven't actually researched it in any capacity but the brand is good AFAIK)
Edit: Made a minor correction updated the link
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8r7sZ

Saves you about $500 total while still hitting everything. Slightly cheaper power supply, different RAM, lower priced 1080ti (but still a 1080ti), cheaper but still nice looking tower, and a 1440p 144hz monitor from a good but budget brand. This isn't better than your previous build (would like to reiterate it's overall very solid) just cheaper.

Last edited:

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Hey all,

Looking into moving forward on that SFF build. Will probably be getting a 2080, would a 8700K be a good pair with it for 1440p/1440fps and / or 4K/60 fps?

Also my current RAM is 16 GB of G.SKILL ARES DDR3 1600, is it time to let that go or is it viable to reuse it on the next build?

Keeping the hard drives of course.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I ended up going with this, I was kind of rushed. It will be a hell of a lot better than my extremely old computer at least. Probably not as much on the gaming side as I would have liked but should be good enough I hope.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-780-Performance-Computer-Quad-Core/dp/B07CG5M6YK/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1534898668&sr=1-17&refinements=p_n_operating_system_browse-bin:17702486011,p_89:Acer&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=desktop+computer

Woah calm down there don't do anything hasty! xP

edit: in case it didn't come through initially I'm just making a joke it looks like a decent business class PC.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I think given the current climate of crazy priced new GPU's, and the Threadripper being pretty beast,I'm gonna try to make a computer roughly like this:

Threadripper 2950X (the 16-core v2 one)
1080Ti (for hopefully 300-400$ if possible)
be Quiet Silent Base Case 601 (when it s out)
be Quiet! 750W PSU
32 GB ram, (Hoping to get it up alot more if ram prices ever come down)
Noctua NH something something TR4 for more quietness
Probably 2 M.2 Drives, 1 SSD and 1 Fat HDD.

I'm trying to make a monster that will last for 6-7 years like my last build, sans a GPU upgrade at some point. I'm a motion designer, so I will be doing some side work and projects on this thing, and some gaming of course. Sucks that After Effects won't be running top notch, but everything else should benefit from this build I though I think.

The question now is what motherboard would work for this? I'd like 8 Ram slots, and a built in Mobo DAC if possible. I don't intend to get more than one GPU or SLi, even later. Recommendations welcome!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hey all,

Looking into moving forward on that SFF build. Will probably be getting a 2080, would a 8700K be a good pair with it for 1440p/1440fps and / or 4K/60 fps?

Also my current RAM is 16 GB of G.SKILL ARES DDR3 1600, is it time to let that go or is it viable to reuse it on the next build?

You should not be using DDR3 RAM with any newer CPU's so it's gotta go.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
hey it's good to be excited I've done the piece by piece method myself! Try not to stretch it out too far though because parts become obsolete and it makes it pointless.

Any Intel CPUs I should worry about if I go that route? Or is the 8700K a solid pick for now?

I'll probably have it all built out by October.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I just spent 5 hrs cloning a Samsung 256GB SM951 M.2 to a faster Samsung 500GB 970EVO. Since I only had one M.2 slot on the MB, had to buy / use temporary PCie M.2 adapter.

First, Samsung data migration software failed.
Then, Macromedia Reflect 7 Free completed, but Windows 10 would not bootup with inaccessible boot device.
Tried EaseUS Todo Backup Free which also completed, but same problem.
Flashed to latest Bios thinking it might work. Nope.
Re-clone again with all software. Same issue.
Google and tried recommended things.
Come to a post someone said booted into Windows safe mode, restart and it worked for him. I am thinking sure, but since I am out of options way not. Had to google how to get into Windows 10 safe mode since it's more complicated, but what you do you know, it actually works.

Honestly, I don't even notice the difference. Benchmarks do show it's much faster.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Congrats PC Builders, you're the new community spotlight!

Thanks for all the work y'all put in with helping others craft a machine to their liking!

Oct 27, 2017
Short of actually sending examples, I'd say you should add monitoring for CPU Power and CPU Clock speed. I think you are just seeing the power/clock cycle fluctuations represented as CPU temps, especially when you try to break it down to a per-core basis.

Using HWiNFO64, I'd also like to see max Vcore, VCCSA, and VCCIO for your runs. That's what I'm wondering if the MB is over volting.

Example from my TR runs.. with 1080Ti @ 3440x1440, graphics set at max in game.

Max:
VCore - 1.184V
VCCSA - 1.224V
VCCIO - 1.192V

Again, I'm at stock speed.
Sorry for the late reply. It was a longer day than I expected. So I just ran the bench again and I hope this is what you where asking for.

On my second run and I bumped all my settings to max. This is in the geothermal area at the end of the bench I believe which is the most intensive part if I remember correctly. I'm still at 4.8 overclock.

UtTl5yk.jpg

I just can't find my max. I ran one while logging but I don't know what to use to read that file because when I open it in note it looks like a garbled mess. I didn't see much difference than yours other than the vcore. Good news is the temperature spikes I was noticing in the previous charts seem to be more stable today. I have no clue why.

EDIT: Going to wait for your go ahead to try a higher overclock. Going to try for 5.0

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I think given the current climate of crazy priced new GPU's, and the Threadripper being pretty beast,I'm gonna try to make a computer roughly like this:

Threadripper 2950X (the 16-core v2 one)
1080Ti (for hopefully 300-400$ if possible)
be Quiet Silent Base Case 601 (when it s out)
be Quiet! 750W PSU
32 GB ram, (Hoping to get it up alot more if ram prices ever come down)
Noctua NH something something TR4 for more quietness
Probably 2 M.2 Drives, 1 SSD and 1 Fat HDD.

I'm trying to make a monster that will last for 6-7 years like my last build, sans a GPU upgrade at some point. I'm a motion designer, so I will be doing some side work and projects on this thing, and some gaming of course. Sucks that After Effects won't be running top notch, but everything else should benefit from this build I though I think.

The question now is what motherboard would work for this? I'd like 8 Ram slots, and a built in Mobo DAC if possible. I don't intend to get more than one GPU or SLi, even later. Recommendations welcome!

GIGABYTE X399 AORUS XTREME advertises its on board DAC as being high end audiophile grade. It is the only one I've seen with something like that.

Most x399 are past the point of premium in terms of features, this is a board that came out for TR2, so it is newer and more expensive. The other new board is the MSI MEG X399 CREATION that has the biggest VRM and is probably the best at overclocking. But I think you'll be fine with the 16 core model with the TR1 boards for overclocking as well, just that I've only seen the DAC being advertised on the new Aorus Extreme.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a i7-8700k today. I keep seeing people say that it should be delidded and the thermal compound replaced with liquid metal or else it runs really hot. Should I do this or will it probably be find without that?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, we got the community spotlight! Nice.

Hey all,

Yeah if you want the 8700, DDR3 RAM is incompatible with it.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered a i7-8700k today. I keep seeing people say that it should be delidded and the thermal compound replaced with liquid metal or else it runs really hot. Should I do this or will it probably be find without that?
De-lidding is for people chasing for maximum OC (and people with limited cooling solution for example SFF builds). Though de-lidding can get you 20 degrees cooler, but doing so will void your warranty. You'll be fine.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
De-lidding is for people chasing for maximum OC (and people with limited cooling solution for example SFF builds). Though de-lidding can get you 20 degrees cooler, but doing so will void your warranty. You'll be fine.
Gotcha. Yeah, watching videos I realized it's people running it at like 5.0GHz at max stress tests who are getting temps in the 90s. Not worth the risk for me.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Gotcha. Yeah, watching videos I realized it's people running it at like 5.0GHz at max stress tests who are getting temps in the 90s. Not worth the risk for me.

Already addressed but just want to throw in my 2 cents and strongly agree. The potential things that could go wrong with delidding are incredibly numerous and everyone single one of them ends in an out if warranty and completely unusable CPU basically $400 flushed down the toilet chasing an overclock.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Already addressed but just want to throw in my 2 cents and strongly agree. The potential things that could go wrong with delidding are incredibly numerous and everyone single one of them ends in an out if warranty and completely unusable CPU basically $400 flushed down the toilet chasing an overclock.

Why would every delid result in a completely unusable CPU? Mine is quite happy.

I'm running an undervolted, slightly underclocked 8700K within a 65W TDP envelope with a 1080Ti in a 7L SFF case. Delidding was an important way to get temps down.

Last edited:

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
this is my proposed build
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQmddX

I'm going to re-use my current Lian Li A70B case...I could lose some fans but I would still want at least 5 case fans installed...can I connect them to any header on the mobo?...meaning the AIO_Pump or M.2_Fan header?...or is it better to connect them all to a fan controller like the NZXT Sentry 2?

You can use every 4-pin header to connect pwm fans (minus the one you'll be using for your CPU cooler). The 5-pin one only works with an Asus-specific fan extension card.

I can't find infos online about your case fan connectors since it's quite old. Best way to find out is to open it and take a look.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys,

So I built my PC and everything was good for the first day. However last night I got the BSOD and then it happened again this morning too. Last nights one was a 'system service exception' (IIRC) but the one this morning said 'kernel data inpage error'.

I'm currently running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it has come back with 'hardware problems were detected'.

How do I know exactly what the problem is?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Now got BSOD - 'Critical_Process_Died' after the diagnostic tool finished running and Windows restarted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.