• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So being the madman that I am I decided to change the BIOS-logo of my new mainboard and it didn't brick and everything works and looks fine. It's weird though, prior to the whole logo thing I updated my BIOS to the latest version, F8 but Gigabyte's @BIOS Face Wizard logo tool would always silently close before changing the logo leaving me stumped. I then flashed a version lower of my BIOS, F7 thinking that the tool maybe wouldn't run because I have the latest BIOS version.

Sure enough the logo-changer worked now and the logo displays like a treat although the BIOS itself wasn't updated back to F8 and I'm still running F7. I'll keep it that way now though, all F8 does is offer Intel 9th-gen support (seemingly?) and "Faster Windows Boot Times" I don't notice any difference in speed between F7 and F8 though so whatever.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Any suggestions for a mini itx case? I was going to buy a lazer3d lz7, but theyre like $200+ to get imported from the uk to the us. I just want black, small and simple but can handle a decent card

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I finished building my PC over the weekend. I'm VERY happy with it. The Manta case was a breeze to work in compared to some of the other (mid ATX) cases I've worked in. Working with the smaller space of the ITX wasn't an issue.

Things are almost running TOO good that I'm worried there is something wrong. With fans on full speed it hits 5GHz on all 6 cores of the 8700K and sits at upper 50's lower 60's. The fans on full are just a little bit audible. Turbo mode fans bring the temps to the lower 60's while making the fans basically inaudible. Standard fan speed hits the upper 60's very low 70's. This is using the stress test with REAL Temp and Prime 95. I'm worried a sensor isn't working right lol. The noctua fan I got isn't exactly their best of the best due to the size. I also thought there would be some issues with the air flow of the case because of the front and top being solid, so I'm surprised how well it runs. If this is because of the delidding, that is awesome.

Oh yeah and the heatsink/fan fit without an issue.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
so if i am building a completly new rig that is mainly gonna be used for games ,what CPU would you recommend?

I5 8600k or the new up coming I9 ?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I finished building my PC over the weekend. I'm VERY happy with it. The Manta case was a breeze to work in compared to some of the other (mid ATX) cases I've worked in. Working with the smaller space of the ITX wasn't an issue.

Things are almost running TOO good that I'm worried there is something wrong. With fans on full speed it hits 5GHz on all 6 cores of the 8700K and sits at upper 50's lower 60's. The fans on full are just a little bit audible. Turbo mode fans bring the temps to the lower 60's while making the fans basically inaudible. Standard fan speed hits the upper 60's very low 70's. This is using the stress test with REAL Temp and Prime 95. I'm worried a sensor isn't working right lol. The noctua fan I got isn't exactly their best of the best due to the size. I also thought there would be some issues with the air flow of the case because of the front and top being solid, so I'm surprised how well it runs. If this is because of the delidding, that is awesome.

I'm happy to hear about another successful PC build! Can you post a few pics? And what fans are we talking about? My beQuiet! Dark Rock 3 is hard-pressed to make any noises, my case fans though...

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
so if i am building a completly new rig that is mainly gonna be used for games ,what CPU would you recommend?

I5 8600k or the new up coming I9 ?

Depends on budget, resolution you'll play at, settings you want, and framerates you want. If gaming is your only goal, going for Intel is probably the slightly preferable choice. The i5-8400 is a good mid-range option. Otherwise, the 8600k is good if you want to overclock, or the 8700k is the top choice right now but obviously costs more.

Intel has new chips rumored to launch in the next couple of months, but their last launch was a "paper launch" where there really wasn't much if any stock for 2-3 months. So, if that happens again (no indication yet that it will or won't), it might be very late 2018 or early 2019 before the new series (including the i9) is readily available.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to hear about another successful PC build! Can you post a few pics? And what fans are we talking about? My beQuiet! Dark Rock 3 is hard-pressed to make any noises, my case fans though...
I'll try to post a picture when I get home.

I replaced two front 120mm NZXT stock fans with 2x Noctua 140mm NF-A14. Replaced the back fan with Noctua 120mm NF-F12. Replaced the fan that came with the Noctua NH-U12S cooler with Noctua - NF-S12A. Took two of the three spare NZXT stock fans that were now removed and put them on the top of the case to pull up. I wasn't sure if the last step was overkill, might cause air flow issues unintentionally, or had negligible benefit vs noise generated.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to post a picture when I get home.

I replaced two front 120mm NZXT stock fans with 2x Noctua 140mm NF-A14. Replaced the back fan with Noctua 120mm NF-F12. Replaced the fan that came with the Noctua NH-U12S cooler with Noctua - NF-S12A. Took two of the three spare NZXT stock fans that were now removed and put them on the top of the case to pull up. I wasn't sure if the last step was overkill, might cause air flow issues unintentionally, or had negligible benefit vs noise generated.

So it's still Noctua only if you want to go silent, guess I have to replace all my fans with Noctua ones over time and they aren't exactly cheap. How many intake vs outtake fans do you have like this?

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
GPU afficianados, I need some insight, please.

I purchased a 1080 for the new WoW expansion, which I know is a bit daring with the looming unveiling of nVidia's newest cards. The thing is, I spent $500 and I am fearful the price is gonna drop significantly soon and I could get a much better card for the same price. I bought the card from Best Buy, so I have a little under 30 days to return it.

So, here's where I need some insight. I have a 660 ti that was doing quite well with WoW at 1080p @ 120Hz with the settings at least mid-option or better. I can get another 660ti from ebay for about $90 for SLI. Obviously I won't be able to rock 2160p with WoW, like I do with the 1080, but how big of a performance increase can I expect doubling up the 660 ti? Like, could I max all the settings out and hit 120Hz safely at 1080p?

$90 seems like a better momentary stopgap until the new cards are unveiled and available. Though I must admit, WoW in 4K is simply gorgeous!

And, for reference, the GPU is paired with an i7-3930k.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
So it's still Noctua only if you want to go silent, guess I have to replace all my fans with Noctua ones over time and they aren't exactly cheap. How many intake vs outtake fans do you have like this?
2 Intake in front. Back and top are exhaust. Cooler fan pushes through the grill to the exhaust back fan.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I mean there are alternatives for sure, and some fans are better at moving air, while some excel at static pressure.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me about something else for all you experts. I have a Corsair self-contained CPU water cooler. It's now 6 years old, easy, and I'm getting a bit nervous on what would happen if/when it may fail. I remember reading that eventually the water inside will dissipate somehow.

How can I determine the health of the CPU cooler? Air CPU coolers are a bit intimidating with their size, but that seems to be the only surefire way to ensure that a component failure would be easily identified and not be catastrophic.

Nakayumi

Nov 8, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm contemplating to build my own PC for the first time. Gotta admit it's a little daunting, but I've been reading up a little and put together something that seems alright. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. This is the build I have in mind:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qhtRYT

I might have gone overboard a little with the power supply, and water-cooling may or may not be a good idea, I'm willing to pay a little extra 'cause my machine usually runs for 7-8 years. Now I know that NVIDIA is going to announce a new line of cards in the near future...would it be wise to wait? My current system is hardly holding it together and I really want to play BFA on full settings (1080p, possibly switching to a 4K screen in a couple of years time). Outside of this, I will play some more demanding games in the future, so mid-high end is what I have in mind.

Parts here in Japan are slightly more expensive than in the US, so this build equals around $1840. Part of me feels getting an Alienware Aurora makes things a lot easier, as it saves me the hassle and I know it works. However, I have been hearing mixed things about the quality of their recent systems. That, plus the fact that the system most close to what I have in mind (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/alienware-aurora/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/dpcwxtc04h) costs $2180 makes me wonder if that's really worth it.

I am mostly a console gamer, however, I do not intend to upgrade my system much beyond what I get right now. Hope you guys can help me out a bit.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I also thought I fucked up the thermal grease application, which my OCD was telling me to do over, but for once I didn't listen to it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
2 Intake in front. Back and top are exhaust. Cooler fan pushes through the grill to the exhaust back fan.

Hmm so you run a negative pressure setup, interesting I always go for positive pressure as that helps with dust but I doubt either have much difference about noise.

I mean there are alternatives for sure, and some fans are better at moving air, while some excel at static pressure.

Would you know where beQuiet! fans sit with that in mind?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hi everyone. I'm contemplating to build my own PC for the first time. Gotta admit it's a little daunting, but I've been reading up a little and put together something that seems alright. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. This is the build I have in mind:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qhtRYT

I might have gone overboard a little with the power supply, and water-cooling may or may not be a good idea, I'm willing to pay a little extra 'cause my machine usually runs for 7-8 years. Now I know that NVIDIA is going to announce a new line of cards in the near future...would it be wise to wait? My current system is hardly holding it together and I really want to play BFA on full settings (1080p, possibly switching to a 4K screen in a couple of years time). Outside of this, I will play some more demanding games in the future, so mid-high end is what I have in mind.

Parts here in Japan are slightly more expensive than in the US, so this build equals around $1840. Part of me feels getting an Alienware Aurora makes things a lot easier, as it saves me the hassle and I know it works. However, I have been hearing mixed things about the quality of their recent systems. That, plus the fact that the system most close to what I have in mind (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/alienware-aurora/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/dpcwxtc04h) costs $2180 makes me wonder if that's really worth it.

I am mostly a console gamer, however, I do not intend to upgrade my system much beyond what I get right now. Hope you guys can help me out a bit.

No reason to get a 7 series i7 anymore. You'll want to swap the CPU to an 8700k and Z370 motherboard.

You can get a 650 watt seasonic gold rated for $90.

I'd go with a 1060 for now and swap that out when you move to 4k.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
No reason to get a 7 series i7 anymore. You'll want to swap the CPU to an 8700k and Z370 motherboard.

You can get a 650 watt seasonic gold rated for $90.

I'd go with a 1060 for now and swap that out when you move to 4k.

I agree with this, but in addition, I'd suggest a traditional air cooler instead of the all in one liquid cooler. AIOs are good, but the liquid inside will permeate out over time and I personally wouldn't run one for more than five years for that reason alone.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
9700K or 9900K with faster single thread performance will be better on After Effects, but going HEDT like Threadripper could leave you more options open because that way you can also upgrade your ram more easily in the future, since you have 8 slots. Much less bang for the buck than Threadripper in terms of cores, but a compromise would be intel HEDT, like waiting to see if whatever replaces the 7820X this Q4 has coffee-lake single thread performance. Everything is just more expensive going intel HEDT, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for something that offers better performance per dollar in AE than a 8700K.

Simple 3D motions graphics still benefit from GPU accelerated renderers, Cinema 4D has plugin options for a Radeon graphics-based renderer, and several CUDA core based renderers, but even ignoring that, it for sure will benefit from more cores on the vanilla physical or standard renderers.

edit: The funny thing about Cinema 4D vanilla renderers is that it may just be the one program everybody indirectly knows how good every cpu in existence will perform, since cinebench 15 is so popular.
I actually didn't realize TR offered 8 slots... thats actually super helpful. I could probably get to 64Gb more reasonably over time with that!

Yeah I will probably not want to waiting even longer at this point for a new intel HEDT, I really want to make this build sooner than later :p

I think I am basically stuck with Nvidia for the foreseeable future due to CUDA's though. But yeah thats why I want a moderately baller card, hoping for a 2070 if I can my hands on one!

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
May my stupidity serve as a cautionary tale for others.

The new ryzen master 1.4 released this week with the 'rippers and it's new PBO setting confirmed what i suspected for some time.
Cheaper motherboards hold back fast CPUs. It seems that either gigabyte or AMD know that the "ultra gaming"'s VRM are crap, so they heavily limit the amperage parameter as a precaution.

unknown.png

Do not pair a 2700x with a 140$ motherboard, that's just sad!

Note: voltage peak is because of poor LLC, which gigabyte doesn't let you change.
Note2: not shown, overvoltage on memory because i otherwise bluescreen on supported memory.

I bought the Gigabyte Aorus AM4 Ultra Gaming Mobo for my 2700x . I haven't used it yet but I have confidence in it. I don't plan on overclocking manually. I will let precision do it's thing. If it sucks for me needs I will eat crow.

Apr 1, 2018
So being the madman that I am I decided to change the BIOS-logo of my new mainboard and it didn't brick and everything works and looks fine. It's weird though, prior to the whole logo thing I updated my BIOS to the latest version, F8 but Gigabyte's @BIOS Face Wizard logo tool would always silently close before changing the logo leaving me stumped. I then flashed a version lower of my BIOS, F7 thinking that the tool maybe wouldn't run because I have the latest BIOS version.

Sure enough the logo-changer worked now and the logo displays like a treat although the BIOS itself wasn't updated back to F8 and I'm still running F7. I'll keep it that way now though, all F8 does is offer Intel 9th-gen support (seemingly?) and "Faster Windows Boot Times" I don't notice any difference in speed between F7 and F8 though so whatever.
Hahaha, yeah Gigabyte management applications take the cake when it comes to poor interfaces and bugs. I wanted to show you a .gif of @bios attempting to download and install a firmware for an entirely different model of motherboard than i have, and probably brick it in the attempt. But the app-center refuses to launch due to memory/led-driver addressing errors.

I bought the Gigabyte Aorus AM4 Ultra Gaming Mobo for my 2700x . I haven't used it yet but I have confidence in it. I don't plan on overclocking manually. I will let precision do it's thing. If it sucks for me needs I will eat crow.
Protip, remove the plastic i/o cowl, it's secured by 2-3 tiny screws and removing it will help the MOSFET radiators dump heat. Luckily it's not an LED one, and i dunno what they smoked having it cover half the heatsinks, but they did. i'll have to remove mine when i'll dust it off next year or so, it definitely traps heat.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, yeah Gigabyte management applications take the cake when it comes to poor interfaces and bugs. I wanted to show you a .gif of @bios attempting to download and install a firmware for an entirely different model of motherboard than i have, and probably brick it in the attempt. But the app-center refuses to launch due to memory/led-driver addressing errors.

Protip, remove the plastic i/o cowl, it's secured by 2-3 tiny screws and will help the MOSFET radiators dump heat. Luckily it's not an LED one, and i dunno what they smoked having it cover half the heatsinks, but they did. i'll have to remove mine when i'll dust it off next year or so, it definitely traps heat.

Huh oh wow that doesn't sound good, did GIGABYTE get that bad recently? I always loved their products from 2010-2014. But now I ask, would you have any idea how I could get to version F8 with my custom-logo intact?

Apr 1, 2018
Huh oh wow that doesn't sound good, did GIGABYTE get that bad recently? I always loved their products from 2010-2014. But now I ask, would you have any idea how I could get to version F8 with my custom-logo intact?
Replacing logos always require a firmware flash as they're stored in the binary archive.

You're not going to like the answer, but you'll have to get the new firmware image, unpack it and replace the .bmp (or whatever it stored under the LOGO BIOS slot). the problem is that this procedure is well documented for older Award firmwares, but not for American Megatrends (i dunno where to get their toolkit even).

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Replacing logos always require a firmware flash as they're stored in the binary archive.

You're not going to like the answer, but you'll have to get the new firmware image, unpack it and replace the .bmp (or whatever it stored under the LOGO BIOS slot). the problem is that this procedure is well documented for older Award firmwares, but not for American Megatrends (i dunno where to get their toolkit even).

Ugh alright I will really stay on F7 then. I really wonder why Face Wizard couldn't flash F8's logo though o.o

snack

Oct 27, 2017
Got a new SSD and I want to clone my existing W10 (games, files, music etc.) onto it. What's the best program to use?

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, once nVidia releases their now xx80 card I'll get one and want to do a general overhaul of my PC. I upgraded some components here and there, but the case and stuff is still from 2011.

Buying a new case, ripping everything out of the old one and putting it into the new one should not really be a problem right? Id like to keep my motherboard and CPU (i7 2600k) because they're still performing fine.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
So, once nVidia releases their now xx80 card I'll get one and want to do a general overhaul of my PC. I upgraded some components here and there, but the case and stuff is still from 2011.

Buying a new case, ripping everything out of the old one and putting it into the new one should not really be a problem right? Id like to keep my motherboard and CPU (i7 2600k) because they're still performing fine.

Your CPU might be performing fine, but if you're going to get a xx80 card then I suspect you will be bottlenecked by it.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Most likely it'll be fine, but make sure your case can fit your motherboard's size (ATX, mATX, or mITX), has enough drive bays for your 2.5" SSDs/HDDs or 3.5" HDDs, can hold your optical drive (if you have one), and double-check it can fit your CPU cooler (specifically, the height) unless you're using the stock cooler in which case you're fine.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your CPU might be performing fine, but if you're going to get a xx80 card then I suspect you will be bottlenecked by it.

meh, that's completely fine for now. From a 780 the jump will be quite big regardless of any bottleneck, and I just want to futureproof my setup a bit. Ill just upgrade the CPU later.

Edit: Any CPU I should check out if I just want something nice that would not bottleneck the new cards (but also isnt absurdly expensive)? AMD or Intel is fine with me, gonna have to upgrade my motherboard either way if I get a new one.

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
meh, that's completely fine for now. From a 780 the jump will be quite big regardless of any bottleneck. And the i7 2600k is still decent enough for me, so Ill just upgrade that later.

Edit: Any CPU I should buy if I just want something nice that would not bottleneck the new cards? AMD or Intel is fine with me, gonna have to upgrade my motherboard either way then.
Honestly, wait till next year for the CPU. Both AMD and Intel have new chips coming out.

Zen2 should be out on 7nm and all the early adopter issues with Zen and Zen+ should be worked out, see how AMD's toc stacks against Intel's next tic, so to speak.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Mine never looked this clean before either!!!!! I bought the Chromax Line Noctua Fans which are basically just black versions of the noctua fans lol.

Well you managed! I'll transplant a friends build into a Define R6 tomorrow, I'm kinda fired up for it to make it as clean as possible! And huh the more you know, are these officially sold by Noctua?

W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
Lil bit intimidating coming into this thread lol...

Relatively easy question and maybe a tad off-topic?...

But can you not buy computers directly off HP's website? I've tried navigating around after I select something and never gives a price or buy option directly.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Lil bit intimidating coming into this thread lol...

Relatively easy question and maybe a tad off-topic?...

But can you not buy computers directly off HP's website? I've tried navigating around after I select something and never gives a price or buy option directly.
Not to be "that guy" but have you compared what HP offers against Dell? I had heat issues with the last two HPs I bought. One was a desktop, the other laptop. Maybe they fixed their problems but I've sworn them off. My current Dell laptop is great.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.