• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It means you haven't found all the artifacts in Cernos' area. You can keep looking and finish the collection.

There's always more of them in a zone than what you need to reach the boss.
Thanks I though they were just glowing when I look around I didn't expect hidden one and so many. Will keep playing anyway it's a pretty and nice game. I think if you're really used to the controls you can do some crazy gliding / sprinting combo

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The only 2 characters are voiced by Troy Baker and Laura Bailey? Lol.
Yeah, and honestly I think that's pretty tacky even though I know they're buds with Austin Wintory. Maybe don't give a handful of lines in a made up language to the biggest voice actors in the industry.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started this tonight and played the opening. Game is already assaulting me on all fronts. So visually striking. The game play is amazing and I don't know why but god damn it I'm already incredibly attached to this falcon. I can't wait to proper get into the meat of this.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on how well this runs on base PS4? I was planning on waiting until i have a PS5 but that could still be a long way off judging by demand versus supply.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished it. I was hoping I'd go back to collecting after credits, but nope. Pretty cool final boss battle, not as repetitive as the other monster ones. I just wish there was more to the story. Whatever the dead bodies had to say wasn't interesting and quite predictable.

For two characters that barely talk for a couple of scenes in a made up language toward the endgame, did Annapurna really have to cast the most popular voice actors ever (Troy Baker and Laura Bailey) instead of anyone else, maybe even Asian or anyone close to the culture that they're inspired by?

The flying, gliding, and movement kept ramping up towards the endgame which I loved, especially the boost pads.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Did a review for my podcast thing.
Really really loved the story, but I feel oddly "tricked" by the marketting which didnt really indicate it was a puzzle game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No one is playing this, huh :( I started it today and think it's a neat little game so far.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it the other day. Loved every minute of it until the end which felt a bit...rushed?

Still need to complete the final plateau, will definitely do that this weekend.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The ending is surprisingly sad.

I was expecting to be purified by the eagle. You don't get to go back to the world after the ending cutscene, implying that you're stricken with that disease and ask the eagle to cleanse the rest of the land.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
The ending is surprisingly sad.

I was expecting to be purified by the eagle. You don't get to go back to the world after the ending cutscene, implying that you're stricken with that disease and ask the eagle to cleanse the rest of the land.

Ending spoiler:
I forget what specifically it is you need to find all of, but I believe if you light up the statue that shows up in each of the four areas after you clear the boss fight, you'll get an alternate ending. It's a very brief scene, but relevant to what you were talking about.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ending spoiler:
I forget what specifically it is you need to find all of, but I believe if you light up the statue that shows up in each of the four areas after you clear the boss fight, you'll get an alternate ending. It's a very brief scene, but relevant to what you were talking about.
That's pretty cool to hear, I was expecting some sort of reward
for getting all the lightstones.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Started it this week and why aren't more people talking about this? Absolutely gorgeous game, running around the world shooting targets, flying and exploring feels so good. Also, the puzzles are pretty enjoyable.

So, I noticed you don't need to get all the "things" to move on to the next area, but should I? Is this one of those games were you get a bad ending if you don't get 100%? Just curious...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Started it this week and why aren't more people talking about this? Absolutely gorgeous game, running around the world shooting targets, flying and exploring feels so good. Also, the puzzles are pretty enjoyable.

So, I noticed you don't need to get all the "things" to move on to the next area, but should I? Is this one of those games were you get a bad ending if you don't get 100%? Just curious...
There appears to a secret ending if you do get 100%, which I just checked on YouTube. I don't want to spoil, but it does make me want to go back in and collect all the lightstones.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Rented this from GameFly and started it up today -- played about 90 minutes and defeated the first plateau (the Elk). This game is really well done -- I'm thoroughly impressed. $50 seems kind of exorbitantly priced to be honest for what it is, so I won't be using the Keep It option even at $40 (feels like a game I'd rather have digitally anyway), but this is definitely one I'll come back to. Hopefully it comes to PS+ or goes on sale for say $30, I'd probably pull the trigger at that price and get back to it.

I will say that I found the stealth parts to be very difficult. Encountered them twice and failed both times.. so I will be avoiding it in the future as much as I can, haha.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
My first 15 minutes were pretty much:

"So why am I shooting these floating thingies?"
"Ohh they restore your stamina"
"OHH they also BOOST you"
"Hah this is AWESOME"

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Finished this game over the weekend and can't help but wonder why nobody is talking about it. I loved Journey, then Abzu, and whilst this one is slightly different it still carries the same spiritual feeling about it. There was a fair amount of repetition but overall I loved being able to go anywhere and discover the puzzles. Music and art direction on point as always with these devs.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished this game over the weekend and can't help but wonder why nobody is talking about it. I loved Journey, then Abzu, and whilst this one is slightly different it still carries the same spiritual feeling about it. There was a fair amount of repetition but overall I loved being able to go anywhere and discover the puzzles. Music and art direction on point as always with these devs.
I didn't play many open world games this year but this game had the most fun in travelling and movement, treating the world as the floor is lava.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Just got the platinum tonight, super chill open world game. Outside of the boss encounters, it was great to have a game where combat isn't such a prime focus. By the end I felt like I was getting really slick with all of the traversal and discovering all of those lore was excellent. And Austin Wintory crushed the score, ended up playing most of the game with headphones even when going for collectibles instead of throwing on a podcast like I do with most of these sorts of games.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it. I was hoping I'd go back to collecting after credits, but nope. Pretty cool final boss battle, not as repetitive as the other monster ones. I just wish there was more to the story. Whatever the dead bodies had to say wasn't interesting and quite predictable.
I finished it the other day. Loved every minute of it until the end which felt a bit...rushed?

Yeah I agree with this. I found the ending pretty rushed and none of the deceased talking orbs or the lore slabs particularly compelling. But I loved pretty much every other aspect of the game. Reinforces my belief that empty open worlds can be oddly compelling and evocative compared to a check list filled map. And the bosses were super enjoyable even as someone who isn't typically a big boss fight guy. Plus that Dualsense.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Just finished the game. As a fan of BOTW and Shadow of the Colossus I really enjoyed it, it`s definitely one of my favorite PS5 games so far. I liked the atmosphere, the movement, the lore, the puzzles and the bossfights were pretty fun overall. My only complaint would be the length of the game or some gameplay mechanics being overused.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped back into this to get all the light stones and damn is this game underrated. Gorgeous visuals, incredible soundtrack, and the movement is so fluid and enjoyable. Exploring the world after cleansing each zone is so serene and peaceful, not something you see in enough games. A beautiful game top to bottom.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Got this game during the recent PSN Sale, and really enjoyed it (platinumed it as well). I think the weakest part of the game was the boss fights but it was a really gorgeous world that was fun to explore and collect.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I think i should have gone with my gut feeling on this one. Whenever i saw trailers or gameplay, i thought it looked nice but the gameplay never looked interesting. I bought it anyway as Giant Squid (part ex Journey) is an interesting developer and i thought Abzu was great.

I started playing this yesterday and i'm just not enjoying it so far. You have this beautiful world to explore but it is littered with icons everywhere. You need to constantly shoot these icons with your bow to gain and maintain speed and move throughout the world. There is also an eagle that helps you in traversing the world.

The thing is, i find the movement mechanism boring and i would have preferred another system or maybe just a much faster walking speed. I guess being available on iOS (touch controls) was the determining factor on this traversal mechanism? Constantly shooting icons to move forward at a decent speed seems busy work to me.

Other than that, looks very nice (which is no surprise) and the music is nice too. The performance of the resolution mode is dissapointing.

I'm still in the first world so i imagine other means of traversal will become available. I'll play a bit more and try to get to the second world. I'm not giving up on it yet and hope it clicks at some point.

Last edited:

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the snow world (one of the last areas apparently) but i think i'll leave it at that since i'm not enjoying this. Every area feels like a reskinned version of the previous area where you do exactly the same things. Puzzles, while having potential to be fun, never evolve, boss fights are not fun, areas are way too big and empty which means you spend most of the time doing fast traversal going from puzzle to puzzle in order to collect the necessary items to free the 3 towers and move on to the boss battle... This game is simple but not in a good way. And i like simple games. A bit of a disappointment from one of the more interesting developers, Giant Squid.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I platinumed the game earlier this year. I definitely enjoyed it overall, and I've been a fan of the team that makes up Giant Squid since they were on Journey. But I have a few nitpicks/criticisms that kept me from enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

1. I don't know how much of this is influenced by me being a fan of their past games. But this game did not need any dialogue or "data logs", and if it really wanted to go that route, then they needed to be better written. The emotional highs and lows came from the great visuals, cinematic angles, and musical score. But they tried to use the narrative and dialogue to draw emotion and it really wasn't working. It was cheesy, flat, and predictable. "The truth is a Pathless land!" was supposed to be this triumphant declaration, but it really just made me roll my eyes. It's supposed to tie into the gameplay about how you can go anywhere and tackle any puzzle before you get to the boss, but really for me it just felt like a way to justify the title being THE PATHLESS. Like they couldn't get across their message without putting in a story.

2. Like a few people have said...the boss fights sucked. They wouldn't have been so bad if you didnt keep getting knocked out of the arena whenever you messed up, or if it was easier to replenish your speed meter after falling over. The only boss fight I enjoyed was the last one, it definitely felt sufficiently climactic with lots of spectacle and tied in past fighting mechanics really well. (But it didn't need the story to feel epic, it was epic in and of itself, so I enjoyed it despite the story. Does that make sense?)

Overall, fun game, loved the traversal, LOVED THE EAGLE, loved the colors and music.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I started the game a couple of days ago. The ps5 version looks incredible. And the gameplay is so nice. Even running to the next puzzle is fun. Why isn't this game talked about more?

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got around to playing this game and it has the same problem as Solar Ash. It's just too repetitive in its structure and the gameplay never evolves. You see everything the game has to offer in its first hour. It's a bit of a poor's man Breath of the Wild.

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing this game and it has the same problem as Solar Ash. It's just too repetitive in its structure and the gameplay never evolves. You see everything the game has to offer in its first hour. It's a bit of a poor's man Breath of the Wild.

Oh, boy. Could not agree more.

For how short the game appears to be, it still manages to undervalue my time with how little it evolves.

Sure, the traversal mechanic is neat, but it's nowhere near nuanced nor enjoyable enough to sustain even a single play session. Why not build it out in tried and true ways to inject a little variety? A perfect release on the bow to boost speed? Something?

Coupled with the almost insulting simplicity of the puzzles, the whole endeavour is turning into a no-substance slog.

Does the final plateau / sky-mountain-thing change things up much, or am I destined to stay a curmudgeon on this one?