• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
when someone says "less" rather than "fewer" I can't help but notice it, I don't call people out on it though

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
"Quotation marks" "used" "for" "emphasis" is a big one. Also, people who use commas when they should use periods or semicolons (this is mainly a thing in Asia where, to be fair, certain Chinese commas work like semicolons).

Ah, the comma splice. I see people of all nationalities mess that one up.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hahaha, this thread is so funny, I can't breath
If you do this, I low-key hate you

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"payed" instead of "paid" is mine. People get bent out of shape over grammar because not caring about it shows a willing ignorance which is abhorrent.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Authors (99% of American ones) ALWAYS think that the past tense of spit is spit

But its not

Its spat

This has annoyed me since I was old enough to read

Also, hard vs difficult. Its not rocket science

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Wow you guys need to chill.
Not everyone here is a native English speaker, shocking right?
Caring SO much about grammar or spelling mistakes is something I never understood.
I found the one whom's've'ly always been corrected.

Should've vs. Should of kills me inside EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Voila vs. Walla.

I saw here on a post on ResetEra someone used both There and Their when they meant to use They're, WITHIN THE SAME PASSAGE.
voilà*

Authors (99% of American ones) ALWAYS think that the past tense of spit is spit

But its not

Its spat

This has annoyed me since I was old enough to read
I spat so hard it made a splat.

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
"yay or nay" instead of "yea or nay" - people have probably just heard the spoken version and are confusing the homophones "yay" and "yea" in their ignorance - i often see this in thread titles here, here are a few:

Baseball Era - Yay or Nay on an automated strike zone?
Digital Movie Collection - Yay or Nay?
Has anyone played Star Wars Destiny? Yay? Nay?
Cam Sites - Yay or Nay?

i.e. and e.g. are distinct and not interchangeable, again i chalk this up to ignorance in an attempt to appear smart by using latin phrases. unfortunately, you don't look smart when you use latin abbreviations incorrectly.
"per say" - instead of "per se" as emag pointed out
"should of" - a nonsensical pairing. most often seen used by native speakers. not sure if people who use this construction critically think about what they write.

Oct 27, 2017
All languages have some bullcrap in them

Have you tried learning japanese?
Did you know they write 'wa' as 'ha' but still pronounce it 'wa'?

Find a language without bullcrap in it.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have seen people (Americans) spell Mirror - Mere.

And you guys do say mee-re/meare. Always makes me laugh.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
when someone says "less" rather than "fewer" I can't help but notice it, I don't call people out on it though
Less has always been used for both countable and uncountable in English. That rule has never held true.
I fact, it was never really a rule, it was a preference, mostly of one person, and while preferences in writings are more than fine, somehow along the way it turns into a rule that must be followed at all time, and that's just silly.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I found the one whom's've'ly always been corrected.
Nah, no one has corrected a single post of mine in this forum and I'm not sure there were many cases of that being needed anyway, but thanks for great contribution.
The point is, you guys are taking for granted the fact that there are people from all over the world here. I'm sure no one actively wants their spelling and grammar to suck, and they are doing their best so people will not lose their shit because a single word is wrong.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, no one has corrected a single post of mine in this forum and I'm not sure there were many cases of that being needed anyway, but thanks for great contribution.
The point is, you guys are taking for granted the fact that there are people from all over the world here. I'm sure no one actively wants their spelling and grammar to suck, and they are doing their best so people will not lose their shit because a single word is wrong.
You have a point. Most of the time people aren't being helpful or constructive when correcting others lol
I try to be, honestly. (At least in person)

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The worst one is those who don't know how to use is/are properly.

'Microsoft are'
''Sony are'

Drives me insane.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who say or write "casted" deserve a special place in hell.

Its fucking "cast"!!!!!
Casted was widely used since the word cast entered into the English language, in fact, it used to be the common form. It went out of fashion a bit and now it's making a comeback of sorts.
Not sure why any of this worth condemning anyone to hell, even as a forum hyperbole to drive home a point.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Casted was widely used since the word cast entered into the English language, in fact, it used to be the common form. It went out of fashion a bit and now it's making a comeback of sorts.
Not sure why any of this worth condemning anyone to hell, even as a forum hyperbole to drive home a point.
It's not used in modern english, it belongs back to the 14th century.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
Why do you care so much?
Honest question.
Non-standard spelling has been a part of the English language since forever (and there are reasons for this, both generally and particularly to words like "lead" and "loose"). In fact spelling standardization is something that came pretty late to the English language, mostly around the 19th century.
You are literally making yourself upset about something that is pretty much a feature of the English language, and not only that, you're doing it in cases where you fully understand the intent of the writer and in situations that are really non-formal like this forum and social media. And that's before we consider how many of the people who upset you might not be native English speakers.

For real, I think you'll be happier if you stop getting worked out over such silly things.

I don't mean this to be a pompous ass, but I know it'll come off that way. I'm used to reading books, articles, documents, and other published or other written works correct spelling and grammar as part of my job. It's jarring and confusing to then read a message from someone who throws all the rules out the window. Here's the pompous ass part: it's like I have to translate it in my head as I read. Most of the time I'll just skip past the post.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends spells lots and lets as "lot's" and "let's" every single time. He will only accidentally get them right.

He can't be bothered to spell your or you're correctly either (always uses "ure" in any situation). He actually argued that it's faster but then he's inserting extra apostrophes all over the fucking place. I want to punch him.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not used in modern english, it belongs back to the 14th century.
Of course it's being used, if it wasn't, you wouldn't hear pedants whining about it so much. I think it's perfectly fine to decide to not use that form, but it is pretty common and it causes no confusion whatsoever, so I don't really see the reason to get upset about other people using it.

I don't mean this to be a pompous ass, but I know it'll come off that way. I'm used to reading books, articles, documents, and other published or other written works correct spelling and grammar as part of my job. It's jarring and confusing to then read a message from someone who throws all the rules out the window. Here's the pompous ass part: it's like I have to translate it in my head as I read. Most of the time I'll just skip past the post.
If you read books for a living I'm going to guess you know how common is non-standard English, even among great writers. I can easily fill pages here with examples, but really, just flip through the pages of a Faukner, Mark Twain or a Melville book (just as examples) and you'll soon find plenty of instances of grammar "mistakes".
Also, I'm sure you're intimately aware of the fact that almost all writers require an editor to achieve a strict standard English an/or adhere closely to a style guide. And I'm going to assume most people who post here don't have an editor to look over their posts.

For what it's worth, I don't think it makes you pompous, but you should consider that your stance, especially in a place like ERA that have people from all over the world, pretty much translates to "I don't really read non-native speakers". And that seems a bit of a shame to me.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
"I could care less" when people actually mean the exact opposite will always bug me.

This one really gets me >_<

I also don't understand how people can mistake led for lead.

"I lead you on" doesn't make sense. "I led you on" does.

Just an example. saying those two things out loud, one sounds correct, one doesn't imo

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not worth getting upset over on forums etc.

The vast majority of those types of things or your/you're or there/their/there and what not are just typos/brain farts. I'm well educated, do a lot of writing for a living etc. and make plenty of those mistakes on forums as I type very fast when typing from thought, or I'm on my phone and a typo gets autocorrected to the wrong world/form and so on. I try to go back an edit mistakes if I see them, but I post way too much to be proofreading all my online replies.

I only get annoyed when it's professional documents, student papers I'm grading etc.--things that should have been carefully proofread. And even then, it's easy to skip over things like that if you're not using a grammar checker as the spell checker won't flag it usually. So silly to get to annoyed over and assume the person doesn't know proper grammar as more often than not it's a typo/brain fart rather than ignorance of grammatical rules/spelling.

OP
OP
activepassive

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Re: Incorrect apostrophe use. This band has put out three records with their name like this.

29ab479e-9f71-47d8-97a1-4d6a0789f694.jpg

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
My personal one is people who say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" becasue as a foreigner and a kid when i learned the phrase i thought it was the funniest shit ever, and it kinda kills me to se people write it wrong.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
My written English is far from perfect, so maybe I should refrain from throwing rocks in glass houses. But, regardless...

People getting then/than wrong can be funny sometimes. I remember nearly falling off my chair reading one of the posts on a forum saying they "would rather cut [their] own arm off then die from starvation".

Also, 'worse' and 'worst'. I just don't understand how people can mix these two up in the first place.

It kind of irks me when people use company stylization for trademark names rather than commonly established grammar rules for proper noun capitalization.

The use of 'literally' to mean the polar opposite 'figuratively' annoys me to no end. How we ever let it get to the point where the two is accepted as synonymous is beyond me since the difference in meaning can be extremely important to get a point across. Using context as a measure for meaning also seems quite error prone in some instances.

Last edited:

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread and throw in my own one. As a software developer, this is one I see a lot: people writing setup or login when they actually mean set up/log in. The former two are nouns whereas the latter two are the corresponding verbs.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Also, 'worse' and 'worst'. I just don't understand how people can mix these two up in the first place.

The use of 'literally' to mean the polar opposite 'figuratively' annoys me to no end. How we ever let it get to the point where the two is accepted as synonymous is beyond me since the difference in meaning can be extremely important to get a point across. Using context as a measure for meaning also seems quite error prone in some instances.

Worse/worst may simply be a product of pronunciation, where the "t" is often dropped in rapid speech and some end up conflating the two in the written language as well. I've certainly never seen better/best confused in a similar way, although depending on who you ask statements like "the better of the two"/"the best of the two" can cause a debate.

And to date I've literally never seen a case where context wasn't sufficient to suss out whether "literally" was being used in a literal or figurative sense, to the point where an extremely important point was missed. Exactly no one is confused when someone says their head literally exploded or they were literally dead serious.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
For what it's worth, I don't think it makes you pompous, but you should consider that your stance, especially in a place like ERA that have people from all over the world, pretty much translates to "I don't really read non-native speakers". And that seems a bit of a shame to me.

As a non-native speaker of English, my experience is that these mistakes are made less often by us than native speakers, simply due to the fact that our training in English veers far more closely to the formal version of it. Native speakers will tend to write the way they speak, and their spelling and word/grammar usage can be entirely strange to read for those of us used to textbook English.