• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
So much Lumity fanart on Twitter makes me happy. There's even doujinshi now.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Dana's experience with Disney seems to be a lot friendlier/smoother than Alex Hirsch's with Gravity Falls, so I'm hoping for more than 2 seasons.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Dana's experience with Disney seems to be a lot friendlier/smoother than Alex Hirsch's with Gravity Falls, so I'm hoping for more than 2 seasons.
I'm expecting 3-4, but not more than 4.

Two reasons for this.
A. Star vs the forces of evil only got 4 and that show was quite popular.
B. She's dating Alex, and while I'm guessing he's not the type to try to tell Dana what to do (he could be, I don't know, but he comes off as the far more supportive type), he likely still has talked to her about how he felt it was important to end Gravity Falls when he did, and how he feels it's better to have a shorter higher quality series than something that was drawn out because you liked it and wanted to make more.

Beyond that, the Owl House is actually moving at a decent plot pace, and while the show could evolve into something more akin to Luz and her friends traveling around the world to stop a big evil or something, it seems unlikely that it would fit with the themes of the show.

But alas Steven Universe moves from self discovery to space threats and space battles and what not and that worked well enough :P

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting 3-4, but not more than 4.

Two reasons for this.
A. Star vs the forces of evil only got 4 and that show was quite popular.
B. She's dating Alex, and while I'm guessing he's not the type to try to tell Dana what to do (he could be, I don't know, but he comes off as the far more supportive type), he likely still has talked to her about how he felt it was important to end Gravity Falls when he did, and how he feels it's better to have a shorter higher quality series than something that was drawn out because you liked it and wanted to make more.

Beyond that, the Owl House is actually moving at a decent plot pace, and while the show could evolve into something more akin to Luz and her friends traveling around the world to stop a big evil or something, it seems unlikely that it would fit with the themes of the show.

But alas Steven Universe moves from self discovery to space threats and space battles and what not and that worked well enough :P
I dunno I think it depends on what kind of story you want to tell. I could maybe see the Owl House doing like a Luz's high school journey type of story that ends when she graduates from Hexside, but I also think that the world of the Boiling Isles is unique and expansive enough that they could keep telling stories based on that setting for basically as long as they want like Adventure Time.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I think it depends on what kind of story you want to tell. I could maybe see the Owl House doing like a Luz's high school journey type of story that ends when she graduates from Hexside, but I also think that the world of the Boiling Isles is unique and expansive enough that they could keep telling stories based on that setting for basically as long as they want like Adventure Time.
It's possible but disney in general rarely ever gives out more than 4 seasons.

Whoa! Had no idea. Good for them!

yeah it came up a bit earlier in the thread
" Alex has yet not disclosed his plan to tie himself into a marital bond; however, he is in a long-term relationship with Danna Terrace. Alex confirmed his relationship with his girlfriend on 17 December 2015 via his Twitter account. "
https://marrieddivorce.com/tv-celebrity/alex-hirsch-girlfriend-dating-parents.html (though they spell her name wrong :P)

by that, and there are other sources that they are together such as the wiki https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Dana_Terrace

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, didn't realize there was a well-established Owl House OT already!

I've been enjoying the show since episode 1, and it's been such a welcome comfort this year, especially with these last two episodes.

Not ready for this week's mood whiplash though haha.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I hope The Owl House doesn't pull a two seasons is the whole Summer and it's time for the main character to go home thing like Gravity Falls.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Given what we currently know about how the portal between worlds works, there isn't a compelling reason why Luz wouldn't be able to just return to the Boiling Isles whenever, as long as Eda is up for it.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Going by the wording on Molly Ostertag's Twitter bio, she's done with the show. Looking at other Twitter bios, story editor/head writer Rachel Vine may be gone after S1 which is a bigger deal. She may be pursuing her own project now. Seems like S2 will have some staff shake ups.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think Molly only worked on two episodes in season 1. It's not like she was a core member of the team.

Steven Universe had a ton of staff changes throughout the show and yet I feel it always stayed consistent.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
That's all normal. Writers, artists, etc, come and go with shows like this.
After one season? I don't know how Disney TVA productions work but I get the impression that perhaps S2 wasn't greenlit from the getgo and thus some people were already lining up other jobs. The head writer, Rachel Vine, potentially moving on after one season is worrisome. She has a "story by" credit for every episode. Some storyboard artists moving on is normal to me but not that.
Yeah. I think Molly only worked on two episodes in season 1. It's not like she was a core member of the team.
Molly Ostertag is credited as a staff writer so she was in the writer's room. She has "story by" credits for 5 episodes, "teleplay by" for 2.

Looks like Charley Feldman, another staff writer, is gone after S1.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
After one season? I don't know how Disney TVA productions work but I get the impression that perhaps S2 wasn't greenlit from the getgo and thus some people were already lining up other jobs. The head writer, Rachel Vine, potentially moving on after one season is worrisome. She has a "story by" credit for every episode. Some storyboard artists moving on is normal to me but not that.

Molly Ostertag is credited as a staff writer so she was in the writer's room. She has "story by" credits for 5 episodes, "teleplay by" for 2.

Looks like Charley Feldman, another staff writer, is gone after S1.
why is that so suprising the Simpsons in the goldenages it was a revolving door on the amount of showrunners, writers, producers,etc leaving even from season 1 to season 2 of the Simpsons. The Simpsons still had good quality back then.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, I was just reading that one last night, as every couple of days I search AO3 for the newest Lumity fanfics.
If you missed it when I posted it earlier, I have a Lumity fic of my own, though it's on a brand new site I'm helping out with that's currently in Closed Alpha (so you can't register without an invite). You can still read the story, though.

Offprint

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you missed it when I posted it earlier, I have a Lumity fic of my own, though it's on a brand new site I'm helping out with that's currently in Closed Alpha (so you can't register without an invite). You can still read the story, though.

Offprint

Ive been meaning to ask since the site gave no helpful information at all when i first saw it but like, how did you find the site and like whats are its goals necessarily? The site didnt mention anything more than just wanting to be another writing community and almost all links on the home page don't work.

This is off-topic and probably better suited to a pm but i cant do that with you for some reason so

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been meaning to ask since the site gave no helpful information at all when i first saw it but like, how did you find the site and like whats are its goals necessarily? The site didnt mention anything more than just wanting to be another writing community and almost all links on the home page don't work.

This is off-topic and probably better suited to a pm but i cant do that with you for some reason so
In short, I learned about the site in an antifascist MLP group on Discord. Recruitment was done almost entirely in MLP spheres, so that's why it makes up the majority of fics so far.

The goals of the site are to offer the breadth of AO3 (plus original fiction) but with the modern design of the MLP fanfiction site FimFiction. Notably, this allows for stories with cover art, blog posts, custom groups that collect stories and have their own forums, and easier user management for uploaded stories. There's also going to be stricter management of story tags compared to AO3. On the moderation side, alt-right shit will explicitly be banned, and off-site harassment is a bannable offense.

It's also an open source site, so anyone can help out with the code.

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to PM me.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Offprint

An enjoyable read! Hopefully the series ends with Luz being able to come and go to the Boiling Isles dimension whenever she pleases.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I don't get trashed for this but I feel like there's better ways to develop Lumity (why must every show always resort to ships though) than beating you over the head with it with the subtlety of a jackhammer. Feels like they went from zero to a hundred in the span of like a couple episodes.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I hope I don't get trashed for this but I feel like there's better ways to develop Lumity (why must every show always resort to ships though) than beating you over the head with it with the subtlety of a jackhammer. Feels like they went from zero to a hundred in the span of like a couple episodes.

I was reading a post on the sub that said it actually makes sense the speed at which this is developing. I'll try and find it again, but the gist was Amity is cold and harsh to everyone, and along comes this human girl who sees through that cloak and starts to actually befriend her, while trying her best to become a witch herself. Luz then bravely takes Amity's place against Grom, having her fears revealed for everyone, including Amity, to see.

Then even though Amity didn't actually go through with asking Luz to Grom, Luz asks her, and they have a great dance together, and are carried off at the end as Grom Queens. And did you see how happy Amity is in that picture with Luz, Gus and Willow at the end of the episode? Why wouldn't she have what is being labelled as a gay panic in the very next episode?

Now it's likely we won't see much of Lumity these last two episodes of the season, since they seem to be story filled, so the folks like yourself who think we're being hit over the head with a sledgehammer get a nice break until season 2 kicks off.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i get the feeling that people who see it this way are either are more used to longer term story-telling or literally cant pick up on hints. not necessarily a invalid pov but like, i dont see anywhere near this level of scrutiny for how dipper's crush on wendy was introduced or how the star and marco's relationship was introduced.

earnestly it seems finely paced if you're paying attention and actually thinking about these characters. amity's character is introduced to luz on bad terms, covention happens and amity realizes that luz actually does want to put the work in. amity becomes friendlier after that episode and lost in language, which confronts the negative parts of their relationship head on. adventures in the elements starts to lean into amity and luz being on much friendlier terms and amity begins to show some much more vulnerable behavior around luz and then theres this period of episodes where theyre generally just saying hi or being on friendly terms. the first day goes out it's way to show amity talking to herself about luz in a very telling line.

understanding willow is pretty focused around luz and amity and while the episode is much more about willow and amity. amity blushes a lot more and this is the episode before grim, and grom has it told explicitly instead of through her face or how she acts around luz.

in comparison theres a single episode where dipper acts normal around wendy and then suddenly its a huge thing for the rest of the season. in comparison the only time we really get an real mention of star having feelings towards marco is the sleepover episode of star vs. i dunno. compared to these, id say the owl house is doing a much better ramp up to this plot, which honestly is not something you really see with gay couples in cartoons. you tend to only see them towards the end of a show, or their romance arc is already completed before the show began. we're seeing it play out in real time and people are so used to these hints not mattering most of the time that i feel like a lot of what is there got ignored if you weren't looking for it originally.

i dunno, i dont think you're invalid but it def comes off like you missed like half of the show if you think it came out of nowhere.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading a post on the sub that said it actually makes sense the speed at which this is developing. I'll try and find it again, but the gist was Amity is cold and harsh to everyone, and along comes this human girl who sees through that cloak and starts to actually befriend her, while trying her best to become a witch herself. Luz then bravely takes Amity's place against Grom, having her fears revealed for everyone, including Amity, to see.

Then even though Amity didn't actually go through with asking Luz to Grom, Luz asks her, and they have a great dance together, and are carried off at the end as Grom Queens. And did you see how happy Amity is in that picture with Luz, Gus and Willow at the end of the episode? Why wouldn't she have what is being labelled as a gay panic in the very next episode?

Now it's likely we won't see much of Lumity these last two episodes of the season, since they seem to be story filled, so the folks like yourself who think we're being hit over the head with a sledgehammer get a nice break until season 2 kicks off.
I think this is also probably Amity's first real crush on someone she knows, and she's spent so much of her life having to squash down feelings of affection for people she might actually like that she doesn't know how to deal with those feelings when someone comes and breaks down her walls as easily and naturally as Luz has.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘The Owl House’ Star Wendie Malick Calls Disney’s First Bisexual TV Character a “Big Step”

Wendie Malick did not know ahead of time that a character on her Disney show 'The Owl House' was bisexual, but she is happy about the development.

Reading the actual article, it's unclear if she's referring to Luz outright saying she's bi, like many commenters are assuming, or if she's just referring to things we've already seen.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘The Owl House’ Star Wendie Malick Calls Disney’s First Bisexual TV Character a “Big Step”

Wendie Malick did not know ahead of time that a character on her Disney show 'The Owl House' was bisexual, but she is happy about the development.

Reading the actual article, it's unclear if she's referring to Luz outright saying she's bi, like many commenters are assuming, or if she's just referring to things we've already seen.
its a little unclear but i think the article is saying theres a line in there more than stuff we've already seen.

the only stuff i can really think of that would be explicitly bisexual is the blush scenes in lost in language. everything else has been mostly inferred because she expresses interest in both girls and boys but they're spread across different episodes. maybe im wrong.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
its a little unclear but i think the article is saying theres a line in there more than stuff we've already seen.

the only stuff i can really think of that would be explicitly bisexual is the blush scenes in lost in language. everything else has been mostly inferred because she expresses interest in both girls and boys but they're spread across different episodes. maybe im wrong.
she did say that she had a crush on education and used feminine pronouns for it...though i guess that's just implied

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

It's a bit unsubtle about it but the 1-2 punch of the past episodes makes a kinda sense. Introduce the big reveal, then in the follow-up episode confirm they're not just going to ignore it and that there'll be lasting character changes. Both those episodes were written by the wife of the Shera showrunner. I imagine the next few episodes will be the usual magic-related stories. I know it's by far my most favourite part of the show, but they shouldn't jettison the whole world to make a never-ending cavalcade of will-they won't-they cute situations. Eda's practically a background character at this point.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Given how few gay romances (especially in animation) actually develop on screen throughout the story and make the jump from subtext to just text, I think the lack of subtlety is kinda refreshing.

Oct 26, 2017
Given how few gay romances (especially in animation) actually develop on screen throughout the story and make the jump from subtext to just text, I think the lack of subtlety is kinda refreshing.
Yeah. I mean just like Blasto64 said look at how straightforward (hehe) heterosexual crushes and romances in cartoons are handled. There are dozens of male and female characters solely defined by their crushes in these shows. Subtlety isn't even considered.

It's refreshing seeing a show handle a queer romance so blatantly.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I don't think Luz and Amity's development moved too fast. Each step made sense and proceeded from the previous one.

I'll co-sign that it's refreshing to see a queer relationship treated like a normal, open thing. Especially when even straight relationships in media are often plodding and meandering, and stretched out over several seasons.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of was thinking "wow this is moving kind of fast" but then I was also reminiscing on my gay crushes, particularly when I was in university and actually able to explore myself and developed a close relationship and crush on a girl withing two months of meeting her and was like 'no that's right'.

Also [stares in other long, drawn out gay ships]

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the feeling a lot of the conversation will shift back to eda when agony of a witch airs

Man this show kicks ass