• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Employees choose to work there and people quit jobs for lots of reasons no more or less important than this. An organized group of of them quitting with a public statement would be huge in forcing 'the higher ups' hand, if anything could. Talk is cheap, this company is compromised to the core and innocence of the people that chose to be a part of it decreases as awareness of what they are a part of increases.

That's assuming leaving their job and getting a new one is that easy.

Some of the 800 fired employees early this year have yet to get a job, for fucks sakes

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's assuming leaving their job and getting a new one is that easy.

Some of the 800 fired employees early this year have yet to get a job, for fucks sakes
Nah don't you know. Quitting out of principle is easy. Its why everyone does it when they disagree with their company.

Nothing about this is easy. Having principles and sticking by them has never been easy. That doesn't make it any less necessary. If you can't manage it, don't front the principles.

Any and all hardships that play out as a result of these decisions by exec at Actiblizz to become an extension of China's government is solely on them, no one else.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about this is easy. Having principles and sticking by them has never been easy. That doesn't make it any less necessary. If you can't manage it, don't front the principles.

Any and all hardships that play out as a result of these decisions by exec at Actiblizz to become an extension of China's government is solely on them, no one else.

You must be so virtuous. Living that straight and narrow has gotta be hard.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what you mean here, because you're saying why can't it be an addon then explaining how it is an addon? OW1 = OW2, they're the same thing it's just if you have Overwatch now you'll have to buy the PvE separate, whereas someone who doesn't own OW currently and buys the full package of OW2 will have the PvE side too.
So this is just an addon then. That is how expansions work you buy the original game and but the pve separate unless there is a a definitive edition. My question why is there a OW2 when there isn't really a reason for the 2 when ow1 will be 2 anyway. When has a game done that? It is confusing.

I don't know of any game that works that way. If you are going to make a sequel then make it.

Maybe this is how Blizzard does their expansions. This is my first Blizzard game.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this is just an addon then. That is how expansions work you buy the original game and but the pve separate unless there is a a definitive edition. My question why is there a OW2 when there isn't really a reason for the 2 when ow1 will be 2 anyway. When has a game done that? It is confusing.

I don't know of any game that works that way. If you are going to make a sequel then make it.

Maybe this is how Blizzard does their expansions. This is my first Blizzard game.
DLC was supposed to all be free for Overwatch so they 2'd it to get ppl to pay

And more people are going to be looking at the game if they call it overwatch 2

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They explicitly stated Overwatch 2 is going to be a different kind of sequel. Everyone is caught up on minor details for no particular reason to just be annoyed that it has a 2 in the name and not some random subtitle.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

look the easiest answer to this is because they want a rebrand / relaunch / whatever. saying overwatch 2 is releasing sounds a lot more exciting than saying a PVE only overwatch expansion is coming. it's all due to marketing.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
look the easiest answer to this is because they want a rebrand / relaunch / whatever. saying overwatch 2 is releasing sounds a lot more exciting than saying a PVE only overwatch expansion is coming. it's all due to marketing.

Well that is the reason for the confusion. Even Pros that played the expansion are confused.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Employees choose to work there and people quit jobs for lots of reasons no more or less important than this. An organized group of of them quitting with a public statement would be huge in forcing 'the higher ups' hand, if anything could. Talk is cheap, this company is compromised to the core and innocence of the people that chose to be a part of it decreases as awareness of what they are a part of increases.

Everyone should quit every company lol.

So you would let your family potentially go homeless and let them suffer to stand up to make a statement like this? Can I please have some examples of you doing this.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this shit is real easy to say when it's not you who has to carry it out. Would you be so willing to upend your entire life over something your boss, or someone higher up at your job said?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Expecting people to back up their principles with actions as well protesting a company, including the people within aren't new and radical concepts but go off.
It's not a new concept, true. But these devs still have livelihoods to maintain, families to take care of, & so on. To use my mom as an example, she wasn't happy with some of the stuff that her superiors were doing. But she couldn't exactly leave her job since she had 3 kids (counting me) to support. True, my dad also has a job, but my mom also having a job helps out as well.

I'm not saying that quitting out of protest of bad decisions by your superiors is a bad thing, it's not & I respect anyone who is able to do so. But said respect also comes from the fact that it's not easy for the reasons mentioned by myself as well as others. In short, as Hawkster said, not everyone can easily jump from one job to another.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Have you ever quit your job without another one lined up?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part was that it was dropped in the middle of an article about something entirely different (the cancelled StarCraft FPS if I recall) with no fanfare and no hype.

Like, if you're going to be an asshole and start leaking other people's hard work that you have nothing to do with, at least do them and their fans a favor and make it a cool leak with some grainy pictures or a mysterious keyword or something. Just saying "Overwatch 2 is in development. It has PvE." in the middle of some other random article is such a huge disservice to everyone who loves the game.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to say that 'there are people there that disagree' is not a valid shield against hostility towards the company. That just like any other boycott/protest/demonstreation, employees of said company do have volition to be a part of said company just like any other. The only reason the conversation gets this granular is because people know the names of the people that work at this company and are fans of theirs.

I do see that I come across cold, it's clear it's an agonizing period for the principled among the staff. I wasn't saying it was 'easy' but that undersells the grief they feel. Not everyone can pull a Deadspin but I'm hoping that a few of a few of them do.

As long as they do business there, Blizz will always be beholden to obeying the Chinese government and they inturn make their customers and their employees obey, with very strict guidelines their support for human rights. That's simply not tenable long term unless one completely submits to it and rolls with it. That's completely unacceptable and people that work there are eventually going to have to decide how far they let it go before saying enough is enough. Like I said, thats on the exec's not that peopel putting pressure on the company for choices it made.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'll counter this hard.

You know what demoralized me from enjoying OW2's reveal? It wasn't the leak. It was Blizzard's actions towards Hong Kong. THAT did more to deflate any hype I had for the next big Overwatch experience, more so than a thousand leaks. That crushed me, infuriated me, soured me, and depressed me more than ANYTHING a simple leak would have done.

In the context of this thread, I want it clear that it wasn't the leak that harmed my enjoyment of OW2's reveal. It was Blizzard. Blizzard screwed it up, and I very much resent the company for their decisions and their stance. That absolutely sours me on not just the reveal of OW2 but the marketing and eventual release of the game, LONG past the point where the leak would've mattered and long past the point where the leak is forgotten.

So I want him to understand, the leak was so far down the list of reasons for many of us to have our hype deflated. It's because their company sided with an oppressive regime guilty of thousands of human rights violations over a player advocating for democracy, failed to take a principled stand based on their own self-ascribed values, issued a non-apology that meant nothing and had no sincerity, and then acted like the worst thing about the OW2 reveal was that its existence was leaked earlier, even as Overwatch's messaging of "standing together" and "doing the right thing, no matter what the politicians say" is horrifically hypocritical in light of their actual stance.
Stellar post. Until Activision-Blizzard actually acknowledges the wrongdoings they've committed and takes a stand against the PRC, there's nothing else to be said by them that will help their case. The complaints about employees being "demoralized" by leaks fall on deaf ears when the people at the top of the corporation actively take money from a government that regularly engages in silencing tactics and human rights violations.

What frustrates me most about how reporters reflected on the "apology" at the stat of Blizzcon is how they fell into the PR trap Activision-Blizzard laid out for them: the words "Hong Kong", "China", "Blitzchung", and so on weren't uttered even once. They relied entirely on reporters to infer an actual apology from their non-apology.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because "you never need to buy another game" turned out to be an issue w/ how to monetize large scale updates to the game.

They can't brand it as an expansion even though that's basically what it is.
But they could do just that? Blizzard is known for (good) expansions. If Warcraft, WoW, Diablo can get expansions, why not Overwatch?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They promised not to charge for gameplay content in OW1. Which is why all the new stuff is "OW2" exclusive.
But it's not? New maps and heros are still in OW1.
Yeah they promised that, and an expansion for OW1 would be basically the same thing as this, just with less confusing branding.
I don't see the difference between buying an expansion for OW1 and this mess.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's not? New maps and heros are still in OW1.
Yeah they promised that, and an expansion for OW1 would be basically the same thing as this, just with less confusing branding.
I don't see the difference between buying an expansion for OW1 and this mess.
The new modes are in "OW2" only.

The difference is semantic, this sidesteps the inevitable "bUt ThEy SaId It WoUlD bE fReE" concern trolling and whining if they had announced it as a paid DLC expansion.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new modes are in "OW2" only.

The difference is semantic, this sidesteps the inevitable "bUt ThEy SaId It WoUlD bE fReE" concern trolling and whining if they had announced it as a paid DLC expansion.
Well now it's not free either lol. Anyway, let's see what this shapes up to be in a year from now next Blizzcon.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory: Well now imagine how people in Hong Kong feel

but, to the topic

Once you get to be that big and the Activision part of the equation kicks in, leaks are kind of unavoidable. If you see the trailer its very obvious that the "2" reveal at the end was meant for everyone to lose their shit so as a creative I definitely feel their pain.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
This. I still have no idea why this is being called OW2 after their presentation.

They said they'd "Never do Paid DLC for Overwatch"

This isn't DLC, it's a Sequel*!

A PvE-centric sequel where all the PvP content is conveniently tied directly to the previous game. Truly redefining what it means to be a Sequel!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is more demoralizing to work for a company that would support a totalitarian government committing human rights crimes on a daily basis but oh boy those leaks sure do suck.

OW2 has been a thing we all knew existed for a long time now, and leaks always happen ahead of major events. I don't think trying to guilt people for the leaks by making us sympathetic to the artists and development team over something that always happens is worth it.

They know they have to anticipate leaks happening. This is the nature of the industry.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Came to post some variation of this.

Cry me a river, Blizzard devs.

I hope no one that works at Blizzard enters this thread.

Some of you are just looking to make villains out of people that are just doing their job.

None of you seem all that interested in helping HK except for this crap which is the absolute bare minimum.

It doesn't take much to realize this is a complicated situation.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Holy fuck let's do a deep dive into your life and see if you actually live up to this standard.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for these employees because they're being forced to put out a numbered sequel in the first place.

Bungie knows their pain.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not getting the reaction you expect because of leaks is demoralizing now. Did they lose money because of it? It is underappreciated because of the leaks? I feel this is like being disappointed that a well thought of Facebook post didn't get many likes.

Nov 30, 2018
I appreciate leaks. Makes me anticipate it more.
Don't do a WB and Rocksteady and basically fuck fans by teasing things and nothing coming from it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I mean it sucks they didn't get to have a grand reveal but most people aren't going to judge the game based on some leaked screenshot.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's 21st century, you either nurture a leak ethics in your company or deal with stupid ass people who like to bring attention upon themselves leaking/spoiling stuff.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The reaction in this thread is interesting to watch.
Rumours of GameFreak being down on criticism come out and everyone goes "Think of the coders!".
We need to make a hashtag thanking this corporation!

This comes out: "AWWW...and fuck them."

No I don't feel any sympathy towards the corporation that is Blizzrad/Activision. They mad their bed, they have to sleep in it.
But the developers of their individual games worked hard, and they DO deserve as much empathy as any developer working (way too long) hours out there.