• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because something like 90% of the leak talk was speculation about how PvP would work with lots of negative possibilities in the air, then when they officially announced it was totally unclear how PvP would work, then they had to give a bunch of interviews and talk for a really long time to clear it up, and some people are still confused because their naming is really bad. this is a marketing self-own and they're acting like it was out of their hands somehow.

plus the artwork that leaked looks exactly like the official reveal assets so i have no idea what he's talking about there.

So now that it was explained you would say it doesn't matter?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen this leak but I'm not too sad if the first news to come out about this game was for once not carefully staged bullshots and a drip feed of information constructed by marketing teams to paint the product in the best possible light for the benefit of a massive international corporation's bottom line. You work for Activision Blizzard. This one tragic moment when your corporation doesn't have complete control over the narrative and context surrounding this game will pass. Probably when Activision Blizzard spends like a hundred million dollars marketing this sequel to a game that brought in a fucking billion dollars for them as of 2017.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
but that's just not what people expect from a sequel. it would absolutely make more sense for this to have a name like overwatch: expansion subtitle here.

i'm all for PvP games having very long tails and being supported for years, but naming an update that's half-free for your existing player base like a sequel is objectively weird.

Yeah, it's very strange. There's no "League of Legends 2." And the game has done a much larger overhaul over the years than OW has to date. It went from this:
maxresdefault.jpg

to this:
maxresdefault.jpg

To say nothing of all the characters and modes that have been added.

Calling this OW2 is just strange. Feels like a Wii U branding issue.

Oct 25, 2017
but that's just not what people expect from a sequel. it would absolutely make more sense for this to have a name like overwatch: expansion subtitle here.

i'm all for PvP games having very long tails and being supported for years, but naming an update that's half-free for your existing player base like a sequel is objectively weird.

Oh yeah, I'm not denying its weird.

But that's their intent with OW2 and "redefining what a sequel is"

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"for all original players of overwatch, players of the current overwatch game you will get to play on all the same maps as overwatch 2 players. including all the brand new maps coming to overwatch 2 and you will get to play on all the same heroes as overwatch 2 players. it will be a shared multiplayer environment where no one gets left behind."

*moment of silence*

*tepid audience applause*

yeah that's way more clear than "you will be upgraded to overwatch 2's pvp"

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no, because lots of people don't follow game news very closely and will see overwatch 2 being marketed closer to release and not understand what exactly it is.

Im sure they will be able to figure it out. And if they didn't know by the time of launch I'm betting they didn't care in the first place and just wanted to play story based Overwatch.

It's not like the Wii and Wii U where they are completely different things with confusing marketing.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"for all original players of overwatch, players of the current overwatch game you will get to play on all the same maps as overwatch 2 players. including all the brand new maps coming to overwatch 2 and you will get to play on all the same heroes as overwatch 2 players. it will be a shared multiplayer environment where no one gets left behind."

*moment of silence*

*tepid audience applause*

yeah that's way more clear than "you will be upgraded to overwatch 2's pvp"
or just "we're putting out a PvE expansion. if you buy it you get access to OW PvP. PvP will also be getting a major update."

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's very strange. There's no "League of Legends 2." And the game has done a much larger overhaul over the years than OW has to date. It went from this:
maxresdefault.jpg

to this:
maxresdefault.jpg

And the game is still broken in a lot of places. If a game needs a "reboot", it's LoL. The spaghetti code on that game is huge.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't really get the feeling that they care about "giving the appropriate context" for the announcement considering how they didn't even mention the goddamned platforms during their conference.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
OK this one confuses me, coz it's adding:

* New UI everywhere

* A lot of new cosmetics including new changes to the base ones

* A new core PvP mode with 3+ maps for it

* A new map for every other core PvP mode

* Lengthy PvE with cinematics and complete VO

* At least 4 new heroes (might be 5 we find out on the 5th)

Like that's more content than every update the game has had since launch put together basically.
All of that is coming to OW1 except the PVE mode so why couldn't it be an addon? They even said that OW1 will turn into OW2.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
maxresdefault.jpg

to this:
maxresdefault.jpg

The "2" in OW2 seems to be aimed at a chance to sell another $60 boxed product and get all the launch marketing and fanfare associated with it.
You do this if the playerbase is declining.

On the other hand, when LOL started their makeover process, the playerbase was exploding.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
The utter lack of empathy from some posters to developers because the Blizzard PR department and the executives sided with the PRC over HK is frankly cold and disappointing to read.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The utter lack of empathy from some posters to developers because the Blizzard PR department and the executives sided with the PRC over HK is frankly cold and disappointing to read.

100% this.

Blizzard execs are likely beyond salvation at this point, but reacting to developer's being disappointed with "I don't feel bad at all" is fucking brutal, especially for a gaming forum that likely knows the ins and outs of these business more than others.

Gotta draw hard lines in the sand otherwise you're never truly empathetic.

The hell does this even mean. By this logic we shouldn't feel empathy for any American citizen because our president is a fuck wad.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
And the game is still broken in a lot of places. If a game needs a "reboot", it's LoL. The spaghetti code on that game is huge.

I don't think this will ever make sense. The playerbase would just fracture and probably die out.

The "2" in OW2 seems to be aimed at a chance to sell another $60 boxed product and get all the launch marketing and fanfare associated with it.
You do this if the playerbase is declining.

On the other hand, when LOL started their makeover process, the playerbase was exploding.

Yeah, I know the ultimate answer is "OWL isn't going to work and the game's numbers are shrinking" but I feel like it'd make more sense to follow FF14 or R6:S instead of this marketing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"OW2" = we can't call it an expansion because of that promise from OW1, so we'll do a sequel rebranding to sidestep it.

Games like LoL/Fortnite are F2P, OW isn't really a F2P model and apparently revenue from lootboxes has been cooling for them- they need something else to sustain the monetization to support the engine upgrades and such.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
All of that is coming to OW1 except the PVE mode so why couldn't it be an addon? They even said that OW1 will turn into OW2.

I don't understand what you mean here, because you're saying why can't it be an addon then explaining how it is an addon? OW1 = OW2, they're the same thing it's just if you have Overwatch now you'll have to buy the PvE separate, whereas someone who doesn't own OW currently and buys the full package of OW2 will have the PvE side too.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
"OW2" = we can't call it an expansion because of that promise from OW1, so we'll do a sequel rebranding to sidestep it.

Games like LoL/Fortnite are F2P, OW isn't really a F2P model and apparently revenue from lootboxes has been cooling for them- they need something else to sustain the monetization to support the engine upgrades and such.

Announcement-wise it was a fuck up, but they're definitely in a grey area in terms of greed. Those that own OW1 and don't want PVE are essentially getting a huge content update/OW2-version PVP for free.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

There will always be leaks. There have always been leaks. They need to plan around that and for that because it is a guarantee. Frankly I'm startled that they didn't fully expect them. How in the world do companies not expect leaks. I don't understand.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure that's a game lead and a couple of artists decision to make.
Y7mCFxM.jpg

3oo4nxrhadr31.png

Again, there are people at Blizzard that are furious with the decision the higher-ups made. It betrays everything they claim the company stands for.

But I also don't think they're ignorant either. They didn't make the call. It wasn't their decision. But THIS IS THE COMPANY THEY WORK FOR now. You can work really hard and be proud of your work, but also know that the company you're working hard for is scummy, greedy, and will pick profits over defending human rights when they faced the heat.

That sucks. I've been there. I've been stuck in jobs that I worked hard at for bosses that were racists, sexists, bigots, greedy tycoons that would sooner throw you under the bus to cut costs and coast off a bankruptcy on a golden parachute. I wasn't ignorant of who I worked for, and I agree with EVERY criticism thrown at the company's actions.

But I also know that - in all my time at these companies - I still spoke out. Proudly. About how I felt. About the mistakes and failings I saw. About how chasing short-term profits at the expense of long-term cultural identity was disastrous.

... And, well, I also know that's probably why I don't work there any longer.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I have to agree with that.
One thing are the developers and another the top brass. Saying that the devs deserve the shit Jeff is talking about is gross.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There will always be leaks. There have always been leaks. They need to plan around that and for that because it is a guarantee. Frankly I'm startled that they didn't fully expect them. How in the world do companies not expect leaks. I don't understand.

I'm not sure you understand what empathy means

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really get the feeling that they care about "giving the appropriate context" for the announcement considering how they didn't even mention the goddamned platforms during their conference.
I believe they announced the platform as all currently supported platforms (PC, switch, PS4, and Xbox one) during their free to watch what's next panel an hour and half after.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y7mCFxM.jpg

3oo4nxrhadr31.png

Again, there are people at Blizzard that are furious with the decision the higher-ups made. It betrays everything they claim the company stands for.

But I also don't think they're ignorant either. They didn't make the call. It wasn't their decision. But THIS IS THE COMPANY THEY WORK FOR now. You can work really hard and be proud of your work, but also know that the company you're working hard for is scummy, greedy, and will pick profits over defending human rights when they faced the heat.

That sucks. I've been there. I've been stuck in jobs that I worked hard at for bosses that were racists, sexists, bigots, greedy tycoons that would sooner throw you under the bus to cut costs and coast off a bankruptcy on a golden parachute. I wasn't ignorant of who I worked for, and I agree with EVERY criticism thrown at the company's actions.

But I also know that - in all my time at these companies - I still spoke out. Proudly. About how I felt. About the mistakes and failings I saw. About how chasing short-term profits at the expense of long-term cultural identity was disastrous.

... And, well, I also know that's probably why I don't work there any longer.

So like any company that is a non profit then.

Who here has even been happy by their executive teams and their decisions? If you happen to not work for a large company you can probably get away with good clean ethics that you don't work for someone like that.

Stepping down because you don't agree with the Executives doesn't always work out for everyone.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
D'oh well, leaks happen, roll with the punches. After all, this is the least of Overwatch 2's problems

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
Also the thread derailing and drive by posts in any Blizzard related thread is starting to become really obnoxious.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I do what a silly thing to say. I just think all involved need to just expect them then there will be no disappointment. Leaks aren't going to stop ever.

Your post implied we shouldn't feel bad for them just because "these things happen".

A lot of shit in our world is expected. Most of that shit is wrong, and empathy is vital to help us relate and enact change.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I do what a silly thing to say. I just think all involved need to just expect them then there will be no disappointment. Leaks aren't going to stop ever.

I don't think there is anything wrong with leaks per say, its part of the industry but people like Jeff and the other developers and artists there can voice their concerns.

What I find real disheartening are people who willfully enter threads like the Pokemon leaks and datamining.

You're ruining the game for yourselves before you even start.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most played game every day. It's not going to die if they make the game in a new engine.

This wouldn't be LoL 2 though. That's my point. I don't have any issue with what is essentially a soft relaunch, but calling such a change "Overwatch 2" (that is, saying it's a sequel when it isn't) is just going to confuse people.

And I stand by my statement. If Riot actually did come out and say "we're making LoL 2, with new characters and maps and modes, etc...." they would see a decrease in players. That's why they won't do that. They'll just continue to update "League of Legends" in the same way Minecraft gets updated.

Aug 12, 2019
Know what's even more demoralizing? Taking China's side over your own country all in the name of greed. I have zero sympathy for Blizzard.

You could be upset with the humans who made that decision at the top of the company, while still showing sympathy to the developers who still pour their love into something and likely rely on that job for their livelihood. It was the people at the very top who deserve that anger, not theirs when I'm sure this has all been a nightmare scenario for many of them stuck there or too invested in their projects to leave even out of moral principle.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this is the other major issue: people want substantial balance changes to the original game now, because the meta sucks ass and has for quite a long time.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OK this one confuses me, coz it's adding:

* New UI everywhere

* A lot of new cosmetics including new changes to the base ones

* A new core PvP mode with 3+ maps for it

* A new map for every other core PvP mode

* Lengthy PvE with cinematics and complete VO

* At least 4 new heroes (might be 5 we find out on the 5th)

Like that's more content than every update the game has had since launch put together basically.
Other than the pve, no, it's not more than what was put into the game since launch. Not that it's an amount that amounts to nothing, but that's just a straight up lie.

The disappointment comes from everything that isnt the PvE. And if you're like me, the PvE looks boring as hell and doesn't justify the name of a sequel (from what we've seen). Everything else has been said to be added to the base game, which is nice, but in line with the updates we've been getting (heroes, maps, cosmetics) and promised for the future (new game mode, hell story content was promised for the original game too, but I'll give them that, not from what we've seen, but what they've said, that it's enough to be a separate purchase, even if it looks boring).

this is the other major issue: people want substantial balance changes to the original game now, because the meta sucks ass and has for quite a long time.

yeah for real, expecially when the new content is being added to base overwatch. It's one thing if the new game was completetly new, and you have the hope that all that stuff changes the core game enough to fix the problems with current OW... but it's just adding to it, with none of it addressing the actual issues with the current game.

The game is a real bummer to play right now. This is coming from someone who's played it probably as much as seagull (not a joke, I had a legit problem at one point, I don't stream or anything).

It just feels like another case of Blizz thinks they know best, they don't really ever address the common complaints about the game, if they do it takes like a year or more. Instead we get stuff that either adds more problems, or just is something else entirely.

I'll grant them that, sure a lot of people have been asking for pve and story content, but for that to seemingly take a priority over fixing valid complaints of the base game, without even giving those complaints lip service or acknowledging them, sucks.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
It's demoralizing to play OW knowing all the good stuff is apparently a year or longer away.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
OW2 is both a sequel and an expansion, similar to how The Burning Crusade and all the WoW expansions were. The game got updated, even if you didn't buy the expansion, the game was patched and updated regardless.

Jeff used Adventure Mode in Diablo 3 to make a comparison to some of the new content in OW2, maybe he should have used the above as an example of what OW2 is.

On a separate note I think it's really shortsighted to judge the PvE content off what is probably the equivalent of Super Mario Bros 1-1. And even then, to say that demo was equivalent to an OW1 Archives mission is a gross oversimplification of what was actually shown.

Last edited:

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think balance changing will still happen. We just wont get as much content. For instance the PTR is supposed to get an update this week for some things... dunno about any balance stuff yet tho.

I think its in a pretty good place post GOATs. I guess Doomfist is a big issue at higher Elos. But in the middle area where the majority of the player base is, it's not too bad.

Obviously I would be for more content while they finish up OW2 but I can make it till then. There's so much else to play in other non GaaS games and the seasonal events will still have some notable things, just nothing new to their modes.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
OW2 is both a sequel and an expansion, similar to how The Burning Crusade and all the WoW expansions were. The game got updated, even if you didn't buy the expansion, the game was patched and updated regardless.

Jeff used Adventure Mode in Diablo 3 to make a comparison to some of the new content in OW2, maybe he should have used the above as an example of what OW2 is.
I mean, in WoW's case you still had to buy, own and play through the content in the base game to get to anything in the expansions (until very recently, anyway). OW2 is an expansion but it's also a standalone title? And it's compatible with the original game except for anything new, but they're still backporting some stuff to it?

It's a weird situation since we're so far out from release and don't really have any idea what compatiblity is going to look like or how long it'll last.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So like any company that is a non profit then.

Who here has even been happy by their executive teams and their decisions? If you happen to not work for a large company you can probably get away with good clean ethics that you don't work for someone like that.

Stepping down because you don't agree with the Executives doesn't always work out for everyone.
There's a difference between disagreeing with a company and being saddled to one that's openly supporting the oppression of its citizens and murdering proponents of democracy.

I feel like too many here have forgotten the tragedies I've had the misfortune of living to see performed by China on the citizens of Hong Kong. And I don't want anyone to forget.

"There are no good companies", sure, but that doesn't absolve them of criticism, nor the employees AND consumers that know what is happening and remain silent. Again, there are many at Blizzard who have - and continue to - speak out. I'm proud of them and I support them. I hope taking their stance doesn't threaten their job.

But the very THEMES of Overwatch ("stand together!"), its very creative goals ("bring the world together!"), its very ambitions ("LGBT+ representation!") is at odds with the company that is making it right now and that is very much a conversation to be had. Yes, here, and yes, now.

Also the thread derailing and drive by posts in any Blizzard related thread is starting to become really obnoxious.
It's topical. And it's IMPORTANT. One of the main characters of Overwatch is being used as a rallying cry and is being used by Hong Kong protesters at this very moment.
543gslq37fw31.png