• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Not as demoralizing as seeing an American company clamp down on free speech to appease a repressive regime.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine how HKers felt when you took money with your left hand while giving the finger to HK with your right.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The ridiculous amount of secrecy the gaming industry insists on shrouding itself in leads to a culture where leaks are highly sought after.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The ridiculous amount of secrecy the gaming industry insists on shrouding itself in leads to a culture where leaks are highly sought after.

Yup. These teams need to stop being so demoralized as well. Leaks build hype.

Unless your company is in bed with the Chinese government, then nothing will build hype, and rightly so.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Know what's even more demoralizing? Taking China's side over your own country all in the name of greed. I have zero sympathy for Blizzard.
Yeah, it sucks cuz I don't hold any ill will towards the devs of OW. In fact it's one of my favorite games. But the higher ups at blizz and activision have completetly ruined any excitement I might have had for this.

I mean, that would also be a low amount of excitement because what they showed is... fine?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Then why go out of your way to listen to reactions to the leaks?
By that logic why should any content creator not sought out reactions to anything? I don't see why it's hard to imagine a creator wanting to see the reactions of what they've created and be a little disappointed that it didn't get the reaction they were hoping for

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Jeff Kaplan personally did this to them. What an asshole.

Man, that Janitor at Blizzard is the fucking worst since he took that Chinese money and is responsible for the Blitctzchung incident.

Honestly, the most obnoxious thing I've seen at era about is people acting like everyone working at Blizzard is accountable for the decision of the higher ups

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
The art wasn't even the issue. The issue is that it more like Overwatch 1.1 with what it adds to the game.

OK this one confuses me, coz it's adding:

* New UI everywhere

* A lot of new cosmetics including new changes to the base ones

* A new core PvP mode with 3+ maps for it

* A new map for every other core PvP mode

* Lengthy PvE with cinematics and complete VO

* At least 4 new heroes (might be 5 we find out on the 5th)

Like that's more content than every update the game has had since launch put together basically.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I fully understand what they are saying, but it happens to so many other games too. It can be quite positive at times too. for example the hype about Project Beast (BB)

For someone that does not play or follow Overwatch (only played it once during free weekend I think). It looks very similar to Overwatch, to the point that I initially assumed it was a big title update. Of course, I am just an outsider in this case.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
this sounds like he's blaming leaks on the tepid response and not;

the fact that they've labeled their product really horribly. something like Overwatch: Reformed or Overwatch 2.0 would have signaled better what they were offering. i dont think anyone was clamoring for an overwatch sequel anyways, and yet they forced that naming convention

the fact that they announced Diablo 4 at the same show and rightly gave it the premiere focus. i mean if anyone stole their thunder, it was themselves.

all the other controversies surrounding blizzard at the moment that make lackluster announcements that much easier to shrug at

i would argue the leaks were beneficial in that people largely knew what to expect from Overwatch 2, and so it didn't disappoint it just... didn't really excite either.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it is definetily demoralizing that you have to tell your friend and family all the time that you can't talk about your work, and them someone does, you wonder why you did even bother. After the leak, i would also lose trust in my coworkers, and working with people you don't trust is always recipe for disaster.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Leaks suck. Hate that people can't wait a few days to get their news. Obviously the whole situation around Blizzard right now complicates this, though. As it's unknown as to whether the leaks were intentional.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm still not sure if this is a true sequel or an expansion or a rebase to a GaaS

just a bunch of cinematics I skipped through.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also find it hilarious how everyone comes out of the woodwork to decry this isn't a true sequel.

Sequels obviously need everything and a fractured player base from the previous entry!

EDIT: Anyone having trouble on understanding how this is a sequel should read up.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Yeah, all those "leaks" from every game in development by Blizzard to divert the publics eye from hong-Kong.

Must be demoralizing to have your work be a playground for your bosses so that they can survive the next months.
Hahaha agreed. Drag em. The board and the president clearly want the HK heat off of them.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If we are talking just about the leaks, you could hear it in Jeff's voice during the presentation how disappointed he was, that everything leaked beforehand, and yes, this sucks for everyone working on the project.

I get it people attacking them for Hongkong, but saying this is just an AddOn, or not worthy to be called a sequel. Others sell remasters of their games for 40-60 Euros, but this is not okay? Why?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think developers and artists should base their interest and value on a toxic community. Their work is good regardless what people's initial reactions are. They should base it off historical impressions rather than hyping people up. Overwatch was a smash hit with a strong cult following, there should be enough there to instill pride in the work they do. Not manufactured hype.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also find it hilarious how everyone comes out of the woodwork to decry this isn't a true sequel.

Sequels obviously need everything and a fractured player base from the previous entry!

EDIT: Anyone having trouble on understanding how this is a sequel should read up.
they can call it whatever they want obviously. the problem isn't that there isn't enough content to justify calling it a sequel, it's that the industry convention of PvP sequels being clean breaks means that whether they like it or not this will be very confusing to both the existing player base and people looking to buy in.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not the first devs to express this view on leaked reveals. They put all that effort in to try to surprise people then some asshole just leaks it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That may be "the part that bothers them the most"...

... But for me it's still their company kowtowing to a tyrannical, oppressive regime stifling human liberties and free speech.

... And then acting like Overwatch's world of unity and "standing together" is a vision actually worth fighting for.

Man, that Janitor at Blizzard is the fucking worst since he took that Chinese money and is responsible for the Blitctzchung incident.

Honestly, the most obnoxious thing I've seen at era about is people acting like everyone working at Blizzard is accountable for the decision of the higher ups
There are MANY devs at Blizzard right now just as pissed off as the rest of us. That doesn't mean Blizzard as a company shouldn't rightly be dragged through the mud for their decision.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
What's giving meh impressions is that it's not clear what exactly makes this a sequel rather than an expansion pack if the original game gets everything but PvE anyway.
I'm not talking about impressions on officially released info. What makes this a sequel btw is the ol' number 2 on the side if anyone is actually curious, that and if the deva say it's a sequel.

People were meh on the art and leaks when all we had was vague shit and pics of the art. That's what I'm talking about.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ya because the artists and Jeff Kaplan working on Overwatch 2 automatically take China's Side because they are associated with Blizzard amirite?
According to some Era users, buying Blizzard games means you support the CCP, so working for Blizzard is basically like working the concentration camps in Xinjiang right?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but leaks are just part the entertainment industry. Reporters will always seek them and if reporters sit on leaks then it's questionable because are they doing it to help the company with hype? Like do they sit on a leak because they are asked to? Do they sit on info out of the goodness of their hearts? Ya too murky for me I wanna know when people now stuff no holding back to help big companies.

I support leaks.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, all those "leaks" from every game in development by Blizzard to divert the publics eye from hong-Kong.

Must be demoralizing to have your work be a playground for your bosses so that they can survive the next months.

blizzard is more than just the higher ups. They have artists and sound designers ect that put their entire lives into these games. Have some respect.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they can call it whatever they want obviously. the problem isn't that there isn't enough content to justify calling it a sequel, it's that the industry convention of PvP sequels being clean breaks means that whether they like it or not this will be very confusing to both the existing player base and people looking to buy in.

I don't think it's that confusing.

Everything still comes to Overwatch. You pay for the PVE upgrade.

Pretty straight forward.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
OK this one confuses me, coz it's adding:

* New UI everywhere

* A lot of new cosmetics including new changes to the base ones

* A new core PvP mode with 3+ maps for it

* A new map for every other core PvP mode

* Lengthy PvE with cinematics and complete VO

* At least 4 new heroes (might be 5 we find out on the 5th)

Like that's more content than every update the game has had since launch put together basically.

dont forget an entire new graphics engine. Also this will be the core overwatch client. everyone is getting the client improvements.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that confusing.

Everything still comes to Overwatch. You pay for the PVE upgrade.

Pretty straight forward.
i can't think of a single PvP game that has full cross-play and identical content to its sequel. the name is just flat-out not what people would expect from what this is.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What was the last Blizzard game announcement that wasn't pretty well known or expected in advance? Pretty much everything leaks from non-Nintendo publishers now.

Developers should probably just not get so wrapped up in the importance of secrecy.

Yeah, and it's a weird quirk of the gaming industry. Movies have set photos and official announcements early all the time

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can't think of a single PvP game that has full cross-play and identical content to its sequel. the name is just flat-out not what people would expect from what this is.

Someone's gotta try it first.

I really think it's a non issue but I can't stop it from bothering others.

Oct 25, 2017

I think thats the point.

During the OW panel Jeff pretty much used Halo as an example saying "it kinda sucks for the person who doesn't have the money to buy Halo 2 while all his friends have moved on from Halo 1"

Basically, all people are getting from OW2 is a campaign. All MP features are going to go to both games instead of one.

So unless you care about the narrative of OW, there doesn't seem to be a reason to buy OW2

Won

Oct 27, 2017
If one of the biggest bullet points of your sequel of one of your hottest properties is that people don't have to buy it, then maybe you just don't have a very exciting product in your hands to begin with.

Leaks are forgotten the moment something is actually announced and revealed. They are not the porblem here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
According to some Era users, buying Blizzard games means you support the CCP, so working for Blizzard is basically like working the concentration camps in Xinjiang right?

Those same users are verified users that write articles for websites that cover and promote all aspects of Blizzcon and all its new games... i guess they must be indirectly connected too just like the hard working artists at Blizzard

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think thats the point.

During the OW panel Jeff pretty much used Halo as an example saying "it kinda sucks for the person who doesn't have the money to buy Halo 2 while all his friends have moved on from Halo 1"

Basically, all people are getting from OW2 is a campaign. All MP features are going to go to both games instead of one.

So unless you care about the narrative of OW, there doesn't seem to be a reason to buy OW2
but that's just not what people expect from a sequel. it would absolutely make more sense for this to have a name like overwatch: expansion subtitle here.

i'm all for PvP games having very long tails and being supported for years, but naming an update that's half-free for your existing player base like a sequel is objectively weird.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but that's just not what people expect from a sequel. it would absolutely make more sense for this to have a name like overwatch: expansion subtitle here.

i'm all for PvP games having very long tails and being supported for years, but naming an update that's half-free for your existing player base like a sequel is objectively weird.

Why does it matter.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because something like 90% of the leak talk was speculation about how PvP would work with lots of negative possibilities in the air, then when they officially announced it was totally unclear how PvP would work, then they had to give a bunch of interviews and talk for a really long time to clear it up, and some people are still confused because their naming is really bad. this is a marketing self-own and they're acting like it was out of their hands somehow.

plus the artwork that leaked looks exactly like the official reveal assets so i have no idea what he's talking about there.