• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Like many other Blizzcon announcements this weekend, the Overwatch 2 one was leaked ahead of the opening ceremony.

In a follow-up interview with Kotaku Australia, Overwatch lead designer Jeff Kaplan expressed how leaks can be "extremely demoralising" for developers and explained how lack of context can often result in worst-case scenario concerns:

"When you're trying so hard to deliver something for somebody and to have it be spoiled in a way that's not coherent. That's the part that bothers us the most, where people are not given all the information and all of the context that they need to understand what we're doing."

Kaplan also noted how the artists working on the PvE focused entry were "heartbroken" when leakers began uploading low-quality screenshots:

"Our artists are heartbroken: They take such care to make the art look beautiful, and then we get some crappy version of what the art looks like ... and then people are like, 'I don't know it doesn't look that good' and we're like, no it does, it looks amazing! It's just a crappy screenshot that someone took, so it can be a bit demoralising."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tremely_demoralising_for_the_development_team
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/11/overwatch-2s-jeff-kaplan-leaks-were-extremely-demoralising/

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to Internet in 2019 I guess.

I wonder what Avalanche Software devs were feeling when Harry Potter RPG early demo was leaked

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I imagine.

Working on stuff like this for a long as time only for a shitty pic to ruin the suprise and give people meh first impressions

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
That really does suck. The artists must have felt awful after working so hard.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, all those "leaks" from every game in development by Blizzard to divert the publics eye from hong-Kong.

Must be demoralizing to have your work be a playground for your bosses so that they can survive the next months.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
There was more excitement when it leaked than the baffling obfuscation surrounding the actual announcement.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the last Blizzard game announcement that wasn't pretty well known or expected in advance? Pretty much everything leaks from non-Nintendo publishers now.

Developers should probably just not get so wrapped up in the importance of secrecy.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine.

Working on stuff like this for a long as time only for a shitty pic to ruin the suprise and give people meh first impressions
What's giving meh impressions is that it's not clear what exactly makes this a sequel rather than an expansion pack if the original game gets everything but PvE anyway.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure first impressions are that crucial...people might see the shitty version first, but then they see the full product too so don't see the issue.

also i'm not a creator though

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, all those "leaks" from every game in development by Blizzard to divert the publics eye from hong-Kong.

Must be demoralizing to have your work be a playground for your bosses so that they can survive the next months.
I mean, stuff gets spoiled ahead of BlizzCon every year. There's nothing about this year that seemed particularly intentional.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You mean the first leak that made people think it was ACTUALLY a sequel or the second leak that made everyone think it is more of a soft sequel or the actual reveal that made people think it is kinda of a expansion pass of a sequel?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
that sucks, truly
but even after the proper reveal, OW2 still seems incredibly lukewarm

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
The art wasn't even the issue. The issue is that it more like Overwatch 1.1 with what it adds to the game.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Know what's even more demoralizing? Taking China's side over your own country all in the name of greed. I have zero sympathy for Blizzard.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of funny. When we had just had the leaks of what was going on about this game, that was when I was most interested. Now that I've seen the gameplay reveal, I'm much less interested in the game.

I guess that feeds into the point though, maybe if they'd revealed it on their own terms, I wouldn't be slightly disappointed.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like the leaks conditioned people to make more sense of it, not less, because at least beforehand we got leaks saying "yes, it's called Overwatch 2, but it's all about PVE like an expansion pack, I have no idea what the PVP is or if PVP is still just Overwatch 1." Imagine if they had come out and revealed that for the first time on the Blizzcon stage. People would have had no fucking clue what Jeff was talking about. Just picture the whiplash of "Overwatch 2!?!? HOLY FUCK!!! Wait, the PVP, the whole core of Overwatch, is still exactly the same and you don't even need to buy OW2 to get it? What????".

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. I still have no idea why this is being called OW2 after their presentation. And tbh, the only thing the leaks got didn't reveal was whether or not your cosmetics were going to carry over.
Because "you never need to buy another game" turned out to be an issue w/ how to monetize large scale updates to the game.

They can't brand it as an expansion even though that's basically what it is.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Not only this but Diablo IV too. It would have been a great Blizzcon but so many leaks made it felt kind of whatever. Excited nonetheless.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm actually laughing as I'm reading those excerpts.

The balls to say something like that. Not that what they're saying is in any way wrong, but read the damn room.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
not sure first impressions are that crucial...people might see the shitty version first, but then they see the full product too so don't see the issue.

also i'm not a creator though
Its a case by case basis I think. The Mario + Rabbids leak positively affected the reception of the game for example.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
I feel bad for dev teams at Blizzard right now, must stink to be under the thumb of such a cowardly corporation.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
When asked about it what is he supposed to do? Not answer the question?
They could have. They were never going to, but yeah, they could have refused to answer. They weren't forced to say what they said, and I'm going to continue to laugh at the situation because it's better than letting the absolute fucking evil of the company overwhelm me. I don't feel like being too bummed out right now.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting that there was such a defense for the devs when the fans reacted negatively to diablo immortal but when it comes to leaks people rarely care

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
They could have. They were never going to, but yeah, they could have refused to answer. They weren't forced to say what they said, and I'm going to continue to laugh at the situation because it's better than letting the absolute fucking evil of the company overwhelm me. I don't feel like being too bummed out right now.
Okay then.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Know what's even more demoralizing? Taking China's side over your own country all in the name of greed. I have zero sympathy for Blizzard.
Since when are the developers of Overwatch automatically taking China's side? That's the execs, not the people creating art, sound, programming, designing for Overwatch 2. Maybe some of those people are taking China's side, but guess what? You don't know.

And it's not like they should leave the company to show support, because that a) wastes years of work that they've put in and b) puts them out of a job without income. It's not like anyone in the gaming community would even know, because most people that work in game development are unknowns that people don't recognize.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's kind of an underwhelming reveal though isn't it? It's basically the same game just with PVE missions, it could probably just use the same client like how Fortnite has its PVE and PVP separate.

Like they were saying, they're looking to 'change what it means to make a sequel', which is convenient considering this seems like a DLC add-on.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still under the belief that it was intentionally leaked to gradually replace the anger with hype prior to blizzcon

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

Ya because the artists and Jeff Kaplan working on Overwatch 2 automatically take China's Side because they are associated with Blizzard amirite?

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Blizzard bending over to China was demoralizing to a lot of people as well

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of an underwhelming reveal though isn't it? It's basically the same game just with PVE missions, it could probably just use the same client like how Fortnite has its PVE and PVP separate.
That is exactly what's happening. Overwatch 2 is going to overtake the current Overwatch client and update the PvP and have the PvE as an optional purchase.

Really the problem is just them calling it Overwatch 2 and calling it first and foremost a sequel even though all the details added later is confirming this to be an update.