• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Objective just means looking at facts and judging a thing, subjective means going by feelings.

I know that BotW is objectively a great game, I can see that from all the well reasoned reviews, awards, etc...
I know that BotW is subjectively a boring game for me. It is, essentially a "bad" game for MY tastes.

A game can be objectively good if we collect all the facts, same as it can be objectively bad if we do the same. Find an asset-swap level garbageware level game that has nothing but negative reviews, horrible performance, etc... and we can call it objectively bad.
No. The term that applies is general consensus, not objectively.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool. I enjoyed what I played of it.
I think I stopped playing it because performance wasn't great on my PC.
But I will dive in once I get my new PC. I appreciate that it's not a long RPG.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People bashing Outer Worlds like its some big AAA game that was completely made for the masses like CoD is annoying. Disco Elysium is probably better, but I'm super happy for Obsidian to get more wins.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Meh, game was pretty mediocre and honestly the first time Gamepass saved me from spending money on a game I didn't enjoy that much. But to be honest I can't think of any other RPG's this year anyway (didn't play this Disco game people are talking about) so it really wins by default to me lol.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Gotta love GOTY season. Maybe Crackdown 3 has a shot at a few awards after all.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Strange as it's a very bland game and I really have to force myself to play it. Just got to the point of no return and hope it's finished soon. Expected so much and got so little from it. Don't know who IGN got to this decision

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Shadowbringers should have won this easily but something something MMOs expansions dont count
Havent played Disco Elysium but I definitely think I would rank it higher than The boring worlds

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I enjoyed TOW a lot but it didn't hold a candle to Fire Emblem or Pokemon. Can't comment on Disco Elysium but by all accounts it's the better game as well.

Good for Obsidian though and Ashly Burch. Parvati was a fantastic character.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I haven't played Disco Elysium - look forward to it when it gets controller support - but I liked The Outer Worlds, even if it lost traction at the midway point and I haven't completed it yet for that reason.

Looking forward to more Outer Worlds in the years to come.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
People bashing Outer Worlds like its some big AAA game that was completely made for the masses
It doesn't matter who it was made for. It doesn't matter what budget they had (AAA or otherwise). It doesn't matter who it was made by.

The game just isn't even good mechanically. On a fundamental level, it has failed to deliver a compelling RPG experience. It is one of the weakest "RPGs" I have ever played in quite sometime. You should not be able to break the game's difficulty by playing normally (not even optimizing your build). They have failed at the one thing RPGs are supposed to be good at. The numbers game.

So no, they did not do good for their budget. Don't give them a pass.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
It was decent, but Obsidian know and can do better. A lot of the flaws are overlooked because of Obsidian's return, but they're miles off stuff like New Vegas.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say, I'll miss Ellie and Pavarotti. I may remake Ellie next time I replay a Fallout or Mass Effect.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yikes. Game felt stale from the get go and never got better. Couldn't get myself to proceed past monarch, and even then people say i've already seen the best part and the rest is disappointing.

Oh well, opinions and all. It's a competent title, but far from RPG of the year.

Bossman

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty obvious that Disco Elysium gets robbed in these GOTY votings because it's PC only (most reviewers are primarily console players)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna get into objective/subjective arguments, outer worlds vs disco Elysium (which I haven't played). But I am pretty surprised by the general critical reception to the outer worlds, especially to the point of it getting "best of the year" awards. It's interesting.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
After Obsidian's recent run of excellent form with instant classics like Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity II, it feels strange to have their most lackluster game in a decade be the one that gets all the plaudits. I'm happy they're finally getting the recognition and stepping out of Bethesda/Bioware's shadow, though.

Disco Elysium is a weird one - definitely a better game than Outer Worlds, but for all of its stats and equipment menus it's really more of a visual novel or adventure game than an RPG.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I feel like I am in a parallel world.
A few weeks ago everyone loved the game and declared Obsidian as the greatest. What happened? What did I miss? Obsidian started killing stray dogs, or what?

People just liked DE more

It wouldn't be like that if TOW was released last year lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A few weeks ago everyone loved the game and declared Obsidian as the greatest. What happened? What did I miss? Obsidian started killing stray dogs, or what?
Didn't take long for people to declare TOW overrated.
This has been a common opinion here since the game released. It's not any kind of reversal.

There are still a large amount of people who love the game, just as there are a decent amount who found it lacking.

Nothing weird happening.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The game had massive pre release hype because it was made by Obsidian and launching on Game Pass.

The "backlash" here started about a week later when a lot of people got to the 5-10 hour mark and realised how shallow the game was.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Damn, this thread got venomous. It's really weird to me cause with Divinity Original Sin 2, The Obsidian and InXile CRPGS, Wasteland 3, etc. There is very little passion for them on these forums. Now The Outer Worlds wins IGN's RPG and suddenly everyone played Disco Elysium. No wonder Vinny mentioned the nasty comments toward Abby when they did a Quicklook for it. I guess they weren't into it or something, I didnt watch it since I knew I was in for it.

Edited to clarify not an entire fanbase is at fault.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this thread got venomous. It's really weird to me cause with Divinity Original Sin 2, The Obsidian and InXile CRPGS, Wasteland 3, etc. There is very little passion for them on these forums. Now The Outer Worlds wins IGN's RPG and suddenly everyone played Disco Elysium. No wonder Vinny mentioned it's fanbase on Beastcast, apparently the quicklook got a lot of nasty comments toward Abby.
There is always strong, positive chatter about good CRPGs on this board...

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Damn, this thread got venomous. It's really weird to me cause with Divinity Original Sin 2, The Obsidian and InXile CRPGS, Wasteland 3, etc. There is very little passion for them on these forums. Now The Outer Worlds wins IGN's RPG and suddenly everyone played Disco Elysium. No wonder Vinny mentioned it's fanbase on Beastcast, apparently the quicklook got a lot of nasty comments toward Abby.
There's plenty of passion for DSO2 and the Obsidian RPGs on here from RPG fans, not sure if you're looking at a different forum.

And the Giant Bomb quicklook of DE was a travesty, just a straight up misunderstanding of the game and the RPG genre. Of course, that doesn't excuse nasty comments but there is valid criticism in how they covered the best RPG of this year (and potentially the decade).

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
The game had massive pre release hype because it was made by Obsidian and launching on Game Pass.

The "backlash" here started about a week later when a lot of people got to the 5-10 hour mark and realised how shallow the game was.
I wonder if a big part of the reason why The Outer Worlds received acclaim at first was due to it not being Fallout 76

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Damn, this thread got venomous. It's really weird to me cause with Divinity Original Sin 2, The Obsidian and InXile CRPGS, Wasteland 3, etc. There is very little passion for them on these forums. Now The Outer Worlds wins IGN's RPG and suddenly everyone played Disco Elysium. No wonder Vinny mentioned the nasty comments toward Abby when they did a Quicklook for it. I guess they weren't into it or something, I didnt watch it since I knew I was in for it.

Edited to clarify not an entire fanbase is at fault.

I bought Divinity: OS 1 and 2 because of this forum

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Chalk me up as someone who *gasp* really enjoyed The Outer Worlds and Disco Elysium.

Congrats Obsidian. The Outer Worlds is really great.