• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This thread has predictably turned into people saying that a game that reviewed well and was insanely popular is actually bad and X game is better.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Yeah i agree that its not special and comes not even close to New Vegas.

One of the most underwhelming games of the year that were hyped up for what they are trying to do.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has predictably turned into people saying that a game that reviewed well and was insanely popular is actually bad and X game is better.

What i've played of Disco i've enjoyed, but I think the Disco Elysium fanbase is the most i've been turned off by a fanbase since Undertale fans. It's probably a better game than Outer Worlds (haven't beat it yet to say for certain), but any Outer Worlds thread turning into people trashing it and yelling about Disco Elysium is obnoxious.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Great! Phenomenal game, really sucked me in.
I haven't played Disco yet, but I also really enjoyed the combat in TOW as well as the dialogue and narrative.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Shame SaGa Scarlet Grace released so late (and is being played/reviewed by virtually no one). Deserves to be in the conversation for winner.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I couldn't muster the strength to finish it, thought it was very mediocre. Happy for Obsidian and here's to hoping for a much improved sequel

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Worlds was a huge disappointment for me, so now I'm curious about this Disco Elysium everyone is talking about.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't make it super far into the game (maybe about 8+ hours) but from what I played OW felt super iterative of prior gen Bethesda games and while it had some decent characters most of them felt like bland caricatures and I rarely cared about any of them, they mostly felt like glorified quest dispensers. Parvati was refreshing though I'll give it that much, one of the few standouts in an otherwise animatronic (such ugly dated looking character designs) filled presentation.

Elysium's character development and general writing quality is just leagues above anything else save for the old crpgs it draws inspiration from, it's one of the best rpgs period. I rarely care about other outlets'/people's picks for this award silliness but Elysium is just that good that it's strange to disregard what it does for a genre filled with entirely too much action focus rather than actual roleplaying. The dev's vision was to try to bring the pen and paper rpg experience to a video game as much as can be done with the inherent limitations and I think they pulled it off in an amazing way. The level of roleplaying choice and diversity of experimentation, all the different permutations present with the psychological attribute system is pretty much unrivaled in the medium.

I like Obsidian and they have some amazing talent but OW was far from their best.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
denzel.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium is a far better, more original, and challenging game that TOW.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The problem is way less people played it not that one is liked way more but its a pretty unsolvable problem with such a large office
That's part of the reason for sure, but that doesn't mean if more people played it they would pick it.
Hell if anything I'd figure a big outlet like IGN would have many more people that have played it than the random layman.
But they did like. Disco has 9.6 and TOW 8.5 on their site.
This was a single persons review compared to another single persons view.
It doesn't represent the final opinions of the entire judging panel.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Great for them the game is awesome, haven't gotten to play its biggest competitor Disco Elysium but I'm sure that's great too. Cant wait for more in the Outer Worlds universe especially now with more time and MS money.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
That's part of the reason for sure, but that doesn't mean if more people played it they would pick it.
Hell if anything I'd figure a big outlet like IGN would have many more people that have played it than the random layman.
Judging from their podcast they are quite casual so i wouldn't expect that at all.
That's fine but it's not a guarantee that if more people played disco then more people would have automatically liked it.
Oh i'm not saying it would but just that it has a huge hill to climb to catch up, From what i have seen the gameplay difference alone would turn a lot of people off of disco

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think that's even possible. You have no option but to kill wildlife and marauders to reach the radio relay at one point in the story. And yes, killing 'generic' enemies does count as killing — this ain't Prey or Dishonored where you can get away without killing a single soul.
Lol, I mean I went a melee only build.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
TOW fails to make choice meaningful. Playing on hard, by the second hub I could already hack, pick, medic my way through everything.

I had far too much money, far too many skills that let me brute force everything, combat was insanely easy...

It just felt so pointless.

I really hope they use their success to build a sequel that does better with this, it's the core of the game and they dropped the ball entirely.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
It started out as a excellent game but tailed off towards the end, the same can be said of Disco Elysium ( a better game overall)

As much as I am big fan of Obsidian work I thought it was on of their poorer titles. How much praise would it got if it wasn't on Game Pass day one.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Disco Elysium is a far better, more original, and challenging game that TOW.

I agree with the "better" and "more original" parts, but I'm wondering what parts of it you found challenging. Granted, I haven't finished the game, but I'm on Day 4 (about 28 hours in) of Disco Elysium, and other than maybe a couple of little pixel-hunt type moments I haven't found it to be challenging at all. Granted, I maybe died twice on a couple of early missions in TOW, but still that in and of itself makes it twice as "challenging" as Disco Elysium has been. Are there just some things in the last couple hours that are going to have me beating my head against the wall? No spoilers of course.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I suppose this was a popularity vote? Otherwise I have no idea how the most revolutionary RPG of the last years has lost to what is in my opinion the most bland and soulless game Obsidian has ever created.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Yes, because picking a game they liked more is unprofessional. Seriously, what is this?
Do you know what an objective analysis is? If you want to make your site relevant, you need to learn to separate 'what you like' from 'what is good'. For example, I like Fallout 4 more than New Vegas, but I don't say it's better.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
IGN reviewed Outer Worlds and gave it a 8.5/10.
IGN reviewed Disco Elysium and gave it a 9.6/10.

IGN then calls Outer Worlds the RPG of the year.

Because that's apparently how logic works.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know what an objective analysis is? If you want to make your site relevant, you need to learn to separate 'what you like' from 'what is good'. For example, I like Fallout 4 more than New Vegas, but I don't say it's better.
I'm sorry to break it to you mate, but his is ALL subjective.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds was a huge disappointment for me, so now I'm curious about this Disco Elysium everyone is talking about.
It's an isometric CRPG murder mystery (kind of) that's heavily inspired by Planescape. It even does the whole politically charged alternate retro thing, but in a way more radical way: the world itself is really different (in some wild ways that aren't immediately revealed) rather than Earth but History Changed.

You're a police officer who wakes up from a massive hangover in a hotel to discover that you've completely lost all conscious memory of who you are and what the world is like, with all evidence seeming to point at you previously having been an eccentric substance abuser who had a complete nervous breakdown for unknown reasons.

The biggest hook is that the gameplay is entirely based on doing skill checks and dialogue choices, and your skills are practically your "party." The only "combat" is a few occasional options to hit someone, and if you have low physical stats you'll never do that. It's entirely possible to go through the whole game without ever finding or touching a gun.

Your skills are also all aspects of your own mind and body, and depending on how much you develop them, they'll not only unlock new options in dialogue, they'll also interject during dialogue as intrusive thoughts to shed insight (helpful, humorous, insightful, or even give you bad impulsive advice). Given that your character has no idea who he is, these subconscious thoughts can basically serve as a barometer of either who you once were, or reflect in what direction you're taking him. You can embrace being a sadsack drunk, be a boring centrist the game mocks for always compromising, obsess over fashion and art, become a devoted communist and have your partner constantly reiterate in conversations that your proclamations that you'll overthrow and execute the rich do not reflect the police force's official views.

There's a lot of stuff going on as you do side quests, try to solve the murder case, figure out who you were and who you'll be, and grapple with the complicated history of the locale.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

I don't play what I don't like. I don't consider something good if I don't like it. Games aren't objectively good or bad. They're completely subjective.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Happy for Obsidian.

Note to Microsoft: Please don't mess with this studio. Let them have creative freedom and please don't corner them in to constantly making sequels.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yay I guess? I honestly can't even claim to have actually played any other legitimate RPGs this year, so it wins by default.

I don't play what I don't like. I don't consider something good if I don't like it. Games aren't objectively good or bad. They're completely subjective.

Your experience is entirely subjective, but a game can be objectively bad or good on a technical level.