• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
It was a welcome return to what I like from Obsidian from the overrated and boring isometric games they were making before.

The Outer Worlds made me appreciate their isometric games even more.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but it felt uncharacteristically derivative and safe for an Obsidian game. Hopefully the DLC will add in some much needed flavor.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't agree with their GOTY pick, but, almost every other award I'm happy about. Arslan Ash for eSports player makes the whole list worth it tbh.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not to mention the perks are universally quite dull compared to those in Fallout. The other thing is that sidequests take you to all the interesting locations on the maps, which along with the lack of varied or interesting loot and copy-paste architecture really sucks the incentive out of exploring.

fair enough. I can't argue with that!

I dont know how i feel about the side quests taking you around the points of interest for you. on one hand it feels like good integrated game design, but on the other hand like you said it removes exploration incentive. and the copy paste architecture is admittedly stark.

I will say another thing i love about it is the companion focus. head and shoulders above the competition.

idk, the game isn't perfect, but i guess i'm just surprised about the general negativity here! the outer worlds is a dream come true for me. warts and all.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Anyone else think there's a chance they meant to award The Outer Wilds? 😄

Also CONGRATULATIONS to the Sayonara Wild Hearts team!

unicornKnight

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I had high expectations but got bored quickly, world exploration isn't rewarding. Will get back to it but focus on finishing the main story.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Gratz to Obsidian!
Game wasnt really for me tho, i love fallout games, but this one was abit boring and i sadly never finished it.

May 5, 2018
Fun award names. Glad to see Luigi's Mansion 3 take home the best family game award.

Also of those choices for best music, Sayonara is the most deserving (some of Hyperspace tracks are fun too) and congrats on the win, but this just reminds me that my favorite game music was from super underrated games. Ace Combat 7 to me had the undisputed best OST of 2019 and there were a few other indies (Later Alligator and A Short Hike) that had amazing music but those are small indies that haven't gotten much attention.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
The Outer Worlds was just a weird thing to me.

On paper its EXACTLY the game I would want and love. Single player choice based rpg with character/stat building and multiple paths/solutions to quests.

The game does have all of this- but it was all VERY uninspired. The plot never REALLY got going. Not a single quest was particularly memorable. None of the decisions were compelling. Your party was OK, but no one near as good as anyone in, say, Mass Effect. And at no point, was anything to do with combat remotely challenging, pretty much rendering any "build obsession" pointless. I leveled long guns pretty much just kept the best assault rifle equipped (just bog-standard weapons that are all VERY common drops) , activated slo-mo time when available and shot things in the head.

I was also able to heavily pump persuasion (so I always passed most every speech check), along with hacking and lockpick (so no door was ever locked to me). So, all noncombat stuff was always open to me too. I always had hundreds of rounds of ammo, dozens if not over a healing items at all times(if anything would even remotely damage me which was rare), tons of lockpicks, etc.

My character was a walking god, and this wasn't just endgame- this was as of maybe an hour or two upon given the keys to "explore".

In the end, the game was a 7/10. It was technically proficient, not broken, pretty polished (for the genre). Playable and a little enjoyable, but basic never gave me any strong feelings in any aspect. Its like honestly, given my ambivalence about it all, I'm almost tempted to give it a 5 or 6, but due to it technical competence (and just the fact it is a competent single player choice based rpg in an era when no-one wants to make that) I just barely give it a passing 7.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Cool! It was almost my GOTY as well, loved the focus on the dialogues, the script and side characters were among the genre's best in my opinion. Nice to see Disco Elysium get some recognition as well.