• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So I started TOW today on console and I stopped playing after one hour because subtitles are so small I couldn't stand the game anymore, since I suffer some sever eye problems.
I checked for an option to increase the font of subtitles and there's no option, it's ridiculous in 2019 having an rpg with no way to make the text readable for everyone.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So I started TOW today on console and I stopped playing after one hour because subtitles are so small I couldn't stand the game anymore, since I suffer some sever eye problems.
I checked for an option to increase the font of subtitles and there's no option, it's ridiculous in 2019 having an rpg with no way to make the text readable for everyone.

on PS4 you can at least use the zoom in feature...

but i agree, text is too small

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Subtitle size and fonts are always such a big failure point. The only games that actually have ok subtitles are Metal Gear games. Most games have terrible TERRIBLE subtitles.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
How is it 2019 and we're still dealing with hard-to-read subtitles? Is it as simple as game devs almost exclusively working at desks, and so small subtitles are totally legible to them?

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell.

Make accessibility options part of the certification process for PS5 and NextBox, pretty please. At least make developers do it right this way.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It actually blows my mind how much we have advanced in graphics but then bigger subtitles is somehow too hard to do.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this! Its insane that this was looked over! Seems like a simple thing to do!

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
How is it 2019 and we're still dealing with hard-to-read subtitles? Is it as simple as game devs almost exclusively working at desks, and so small subtitles are totally legible?
Probably that and the desire to have the HUD and 'clutter' as minimal as possible to make you playing a video game seem like you aren't playing a video game

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
How is it 2019 and we're still dealing with hard-to-read subtitles? Is it as simple as game devs almost exclusively working at desks, and so small subtitles are totally legible?
Basically. Since they can read it there fine it's normally not picked up in QA. Now if someone makes a focus on it great on them, but I'm sure some teams have other issues they would rather fix first.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, and this is a problem for a lot of games. This should not be that hard to do. Come on.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Small sub titles drives me crazy, so many devs do this, seems like it should be such an easier thing to do.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That sucks. I would also like games to adept movie/netflix style subtitles with just a few words at a time. Was playing a game the other day with 4 sentences on screen at the same time. It sucked balls.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The subtitles appear the standard size. I never seen the option for larger font in a game before, just "instant text"

i don't think the problem you're addressing is Outer Worlds specific

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
Subtitles are way too small imo as well. Hope the adjustments come.
Ps: yes, what is with the motion sickness? Never happened to me before as well. Something is different than standard wrt FOV?

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
My keybinds have reset themselves once already on pc. I'd like to say it's Obsidian jank but bad UI seems to be a more commont trend.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
it's not only subtitles.
Text boxes in rpg item descriptions, stats etc is also way too small sometimes.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The subtitles appear the standard size. I never seen the option for larger font in a game before, just "instant text"

Off the top of my head, Days Gone and Life is Strange 2 have this option, but more games definitely need to implement it. My eyes suck, and I need to use the zoom function on the PS4 to read certain text. It's so silly how much developers seem to insist on using tiny text in games.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely able-bodied, and I freaking love some of the accessibility options that are showing up in games now. Larger sub-titles? Yes please. Hold-the-button-instead-of-mash-the-button? Yes! These are just basic QOL issues for me, but they really need to be standard across the industry for people who physically need them.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I just never seen larger fonts.

Last time I had a small font issue was saying dead rising 1 for the 360 on a CRTV, had to go out and buy a flat screen after that.
Not sure what to tell you...it's been an issue this gen with many titles, as people in this thread have alluded to. Witcher 3, Days gone are two that I played recently that both had this option, as at launch their fonts were way too small.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm completely able-bodied, and I freaking love some of the accessibility options that are showing up in games now. Larger sub-titles? Yes please. Hold-the-button-instead-of-mash-the-button? Yes! These are just basic QOL issues for me, but they really need to be standard across the industry for people who physically need them.
Absolutely, same here. I don't have a need for most accessibility settings, but I often use many of them when given the option! Good accessibility options are good for everyone, a high tide raises all ships and all that.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No doubt it'll be in a patch but the text size always seems like an oversight.

I'm playing sat back then have to sit up close every time I'm in the menu screen or when the hint box pops up on the right hand side.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All of these immersion RPGs or maybe all/most Western RPGs in general seem to have the same issue. What's these people's problem exactly?

standard trash size

MEFUNq8.png

SirRugdumph

Oct 27, 2017
I have to lean forward and squint anytime I want to read any item descriptions or the little tutorial popups that come up every now and then, and I don't normally have issues reading text. It's kind of annoying and a blemish on what's been an otherwise fantastic experience.