• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (85)
Metacritic (XB1) (85)
Metacritic (PC) (82)
OpenCritic (82)

Rock, Paper, Shotgun (no score):
The Outer Worlds is alright, innit. It's good fun. Sit back and let the orange and neon wash over you. Boo the cartoonishly evil corporations. Exhale through your nose at their Diet Toothpaste. I bet I'll play it again, in fact. But you can tell it could have been great, if it had taken a few more risks. Real space cowboys take risks, don't they?

Polygon (no score):
At one point, I found a gentleman wearing a giant, terrifying moon mask. No matter what I asked him, he just cheerfully redirected the conversation to Auntie Cleo's amazing wares. Can he eat in there? Isn't it hot? Is that a rat I saw in the mask? He kept a poker face until I asked him if I could try it on.

Then, his facade broke, and he pleaded with me to move on and never darken his door with such a suggestion again. It's touches like this that make hanging out in a dystopia fun, and I can't wait to go back.

Ars Technica (no score):
I relished my time engaging in tried-and-true combat, digging through dense dialogue trees, focusing my character's stats on interesting categories, and allying with interesting companions. That was all enough for me to forgive The Outer Worlds' obsessive-compulsive scouring of items, limited cast of enemies, lack of diverse weapons, and complete lack of gadgets (no timed mines, grenades, or other cool weaponry outside of guns).

I can't say the same for anyone who was left unmoved by the likes of Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. The Outer Worlds includes clear quality-of-life tweaks for how spread-out the game's worlds are, how a nifty fast-travel option simplifies traversal, and how quests include a mix of "follow the map waypoint" obviousness and "figure it out" sleuthing of clues and secrets. It's better at being a Fallout 3 sequel than Fallout 4 was, undoubtedly. But this is still the same gameplay skeleton as Bethesda's classic, not an utter reworking or a wholly different 3D-RPG perspective a la The Witcher 3.

Kotaku (no score):
The Outer Worlds is so impactful that it made me question and ultimately settle more thoughtfully into my beliefs. My game ended with what felt like a utopian, worker-led vision for Halcyon, and the game gives you the room to enact whatever your personal vision may be. It pushed me without feeling preachy and gave me some fun shootouts between the politicking. In the end, The Outer Worlds aligns itself with Hughes. The dream of paradise that Halcyon has deferred exploded. How you pick up those pieces is up to you, for better or worse.

Eurogamer (no score):
I don't hate The Outer Worlds. I guess what I hate about it is that it's sufficiently unhateful that you can spend 30 hours playing it without noticing. It's solidly-made enough that you keep hanging around in the hope of something more, like a layer of catchy percussion that never quite escalates into a song. I guess to boil things down, I would like two things to be added to the game. One is a powerful suction cannon with infinite extra-dimensional storage, so I can just gather all the loot in one fell swoop. The other is the option to hand off dialogue decisions to one of my companions, because I have no strong feelings either way, comrades. Let me do clean-up in the background, hosing down the level's crevices with one earbud in, following the conversation absent-mindedly. According to my character's own backstory as a janitor, that's exactly the part I was born to play.

Time Magazine (no score):
That's the joy of The Outer Worlds: the diversity of outcome and the complicated nature of the choices it gives you. I always tried to do good, but I wasn't always sure that I had. Often, I let my feelings lead, and sometimes they'd get me into trouble.

That never happened with Fallout.

Mashable (no score):
The Outer Worlds is a particular kind of game for a particular kind of crowd. If you're anxiously waiting for the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls or whatever else, this is the experience you're looking for. It's not just a time-filler, though. The Outer Worlds has its own vibe, its own sense of identity, its own virtual power trip. It might be Fallout in a fake mustache, but I'll tell you folks... Fallout has never felt so good.

EGM (5/5):
The Outer Worlds is an impressive spiritual successor to Obsidian's work on Fallout: New Vegas, mixing familiar design elements and the same zany attitude with an imaginative new universe and even deeper role-playing. While you can breeze through the main questline a bit quicker than in similar games, this is the sort of RPG experience you'll want to play through multiple times, with multiple builds, to see all the systems and narrative paths on offer.

We Got This Covered (5/5):
In all, The Outer Worlds is an unmitigated success. Naturally, recapturing the magic that made New Vegas such a beloved classic was never going to be an easy task, but the Californian studio has surprisingly pulled it off with aplomb once again. War never changes? I politely have to disagree. When Obsidian is at the helm, changes happen for the better, and that couldn't make me happier.

PlayStation LifeStyle (10/10):
The combination of The Outer Worlds' stunning visuals and immersive story telling have positioned the game to be an amazing start to a beloved franchise. We've only just scratched the surface with Halcyon's tale, and I am certain Obsidian has begun planting seeds for its future.

TheXboxHub (5/5):
Normally at this point in a review I'd get to the problems with the entire experience, and this one is no different, albeit the list of negatives is very short. In fact, I pretty much only wish for a way to pick up more than one item at once, as if you are trying to grab a lot of items in a short time it isn't usually possible. But after sinking in a ton of hours – upwards of 30 at this moment, if you're asking – that really is my only gripe with the game. The rest of the time The Outer Worlds has been a joy to play, and with such a convoluted branching storyline, where every decision has an impact, every playthrough could very well be different. There are double crosses galore, you can choose who to ally with, and in a nice touch, at the end of the game, friendly corporations help you out. I'm not going to say any more for fear of spoilers, but it does feel like a good reward for all the spadework you would have gone through earlier in the game. The humour, the drama, and the storyline all play out beautifully, and best of all, I haven't seen a single game breaking bug; companions walking through closed doors barely count as a bug these days, and honestly it makes no difference to the overall experience.

PlayStation Universe (10/10):
With a startlingly original new world to play in – combined with a warm feeling of familiarity – Obsidian has managed to deliver the one of the best first-person RPG's. This is the game that fans of this genre have been craving, and it is a pure joy to watch Obsidian plop the role-playing crown back squarely down on its head.

Guardian (5/5):
The Outer Worlds is vital proof that mid-sized indie teams can take on the big guns at their own game, and leave them looking a little foolish. It provides the most enjoyable dose of escapism I have encountered this year.

Stevivor (9.5/10):
Obsidian has spent a considerable amount of time and effort in world-building, and you'd be doing the game (and yourself) and disservice by not exploring its planets and myriad side-quests. On top of this fully fleshed-out world, jam-packed with wonderful companions, quest-givers and NPCs in general is a sense of humour that truly shines. While it's borderline juvenile, it manages to stay on the better side of judgment — something the likes of Borderlands has never been able to do.

DualShockers (9.5/10):
While saying something like "The Outer Worlds is out of this world" may be low-hanging fruit for a writer, it isn't a false statement. This game rewards player choice and experimentation on a level I have not seen since The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and it manages to do so in both gameplay and story. With the best writing of any game thus far in 2019, any fan of RPGs needs to play The Outer Worlds. And no, The Board totally isn't making me write th-

TechRaptor (9.5/10):
In this post Fallout 76 landscape, The Outer Worlds stands as a shining beacon for what a well-made first-person RPG looks like. With the quirky dialogue, enjoyable NPCs, and engaging combat, Obsidian delivers one of the most memorable role-playing experiences of the year.

GamePitt (9.3/10):
Personally, I feel that The Outer Worlds is much more than 'Fallout in Space', it's a brilliant masterpiece which strives on player-choice and morality. Whether you're exploring the numerous planets, working your way through the many quests, trying to get on the good side of a faction, or simply having a 'blast' killing everyone, there's always something to do. Visually the game is simply gorgeous, Mechanically it's deep and highly customisable for your playstyle, and in terms of the story and lore, there's so much to read, discover and become a part of.

The Outer Worlds isn't a simply a game, it's another universe awaiting your direction.

Game Informer (9.25/10):
Even if the larger beats don't always land, The Outer Worlds shines with a constant stream of small, bright moments. An amusing interaction with a clueless guard. A sugary corporate jingle. A brutal sneak attack. A solution to a problem you are sure won't work, but it does. The team at Obsidian excels at encouraging creative experimentation within its responsive and absurd setting, ensuring that every visit to Halcyon is full of delightful surprises.

Xbox Achievements (92/100):
It's genuinely hard to fault The Outer Worlds, if I'm being honest. Yes, the load times are pretty long and the map can sometimes take an age to load, but these are minor complaints in what is an otherwise epic jaunt across a unique galaxy. There's no doubt about it in my mind: The Outer Worlds is not just one of the year's best action-RPGs, but one of the generation's best. It's deep, it's dark, it's dirty and dastardly, and best of all, The Outer Worlds is whatever you want it to be, whether that's a warlord simulator or hero fantasy, or something in-between.

RPG Fan (92%):
The Outer Worlds is a triumph for Obsidian Entertainment and AA games in general. They set out to create a successor to New Vegas and succeeded on every conceivable level. Every mechanic I loved from that game, including the stunningly robust faction system, has been taken to new heights. Sure, the world isn't quite as big as New Vegas, but with the almost-limitless choices the game offers you, it feels just as massive. The Outer Worlds may not reinvent the genre, but it is an outstanding example of how engaging RPGs can be when created by developers who have a passion for them and video games in general!

COGconnected (9.1/10):
The Outer Worlds is a first-person shooter like no other. Offering an open world sandbox in which the entire game is your play-thing, I was easily sucked in and didn't want to leave. Obsidian has stated it can be completed between 15-40 hours and I can't imagine completing it so quickly with so many things to do. With full character development, a wonderful companion system, and a spirit all its own, The Outer Worlds is everything I had hoped it would be and more. From the excellent writing to the beautiful environments, each new world is vast enough to feel expansive without being desolate and wasted space. The gameplay and combat is fantastic and handles great, with the only downside being its occasional dip in frame rate or issues loading textures. The Outer Worlds fulfills the promise every other RPG makes of putting you in control and I can't wait to try the game over and over again with different styles and tactics.

VentureBeat (91/100):
The Outer Worlds is funny and an effective critique of corporate culture … and the power conglomerates we have in our society. Each world and way station has plenty of quests for you, and most of them have a good little story to accompany them. The characters can be intriguing, subtle, or over-the-top. But you remember them, and that's saying much more than I can about other RPGs I've played this year.

My complaints with The Outer Worlds are small, more quality of life things than anything else. Combat will drag, as it does in many RPGs (and yes, I know Obsidian's isometric combat in Pillars of Eternity can get repetitive as well). Yet the humor, the world-building, and the decisions you face outpace any of my concerns about combat or loot. And it's an excellent followup to Private Division's first published game, Kerbal Space Program.

The Outer Worlds is Obsidian's final game as an independent company (it's now part of Xbox Game Studios), and it's one helluva swansong.

GameSpot (9/10):
I finished The Outer Worlds wanting more, eager to jump back into the world to see extra things. It's not a short game, but it's one packed with such a steady stream of wonderful characters to meet, interesting places to explore, and meaningful, multi-layered quests to solve, that it didn't feel like there was any room to get tired of it. I wanted to rewind the clock and do everything in a completely different way. The Outer Worlds is consistently compelling throughout, and it's a superb example of how to promote traditional RPG sensibilities in a sharp, modern experience.

Windows Central (4.5/5):
The Outer Worlds is a tremendous RPG that feels like the culmination of Obsidian's efforts with similar franchises over the years. As a fan of classic Bioware and Bethesda RPGs, The Outer Worlds not only scratches the itch, but exceeds the legacy of the titles it draws inspiration from in some ways.

Screen Rant (4.5/5):
As more and more game companies pivot towards an always online live service model for their products, having access to such a complete "AAA" title with no additional microtransactions or purchasable cosmetic content is almost unheard of. The Outer Worlds, while still reminiscent of the games which came before it, is both a testament to Obsidian Entertainment's past quality and their ability to take what works best from other developer's titles and weave them into their own format in a way which feels at once unique and yet still comfortably familiar. For anyone who felt let down by Bethesda's more recent Fallout entries, anyone who misses smashing security bots in BioShock, or anyone who wants to bond with a companion the same way they bonded with Garrus and Mordin in Mass Effect, Obsidian's science-fiction masterpiece The Outer Worlds is waiting.

Destructoid (9/10):
Despite some nominal issues that might be easier for some to hand-wave than others, Obsidian has out-Fallouted recent Fallout efforts. The Outer Worlds is more limited from a size standpoint compared to a lot of other open world adventures, but it makes up for it in charm and a succinct vision without much bloat.

Gamer Guides (4.5/5):
The Outer Worlds isn't the longest game, it's not a massive open-world adventure, but you'll still find sixty or so quests, multiple factions and interesting characters split across nine planets, moons, ships and space stations. Great writing, fetching art design, a tremendous amount of player choice and excellent world building elevate the game above its flaws, and perhaps most surprisingly in this day and age, The Outer Worlds is a devotedly single-player experience, unburdened whatsoever by the constant scourge of superfluous online modes, DLC, microtransactions, special editions and pre-order bonuses. If simplifies the excesses of many role-playing games without sacrificing the complexity and features you want and expect, allowing you to focus on what is undoubtedly one of the best games of 2019 and perhaps the best game Obsidian has developed to date.

Noisy Pixel (9/10):
Everything the player does lead up to an epic conclusion, but the little battles along the way leave a lasting impact as well. This game is more than just a beautiful space opera; it's a real RPG adventure that has finally brought the genre to a new height. While I begin my second treck through this new world, I'll never forget the memories and events of my first adventure. It's that feeling of discovery and excitement that The Outer Worlds provides and one that I have been looking for for a long time.

Metro GameCentral (9/10):
Although every bit as deep and complex as Bethesda games like Skyrim and Fallout, it has a far greater level of polish, with no bugs or crashes evident during a lengthy playthrough. The graphics may be a bit lo-fi, but they still manage to conjure a sense of planetary-scale grandeur. Given the astonishing intricacy of the systems involved and the diversity of different characters and their potential interactions with the plot, it's a remarkable achievement. Your actions also feel unusually consequential, the things you say and those you decide to spare or attack and kill, all making a lasting difference.

It adds up to an experience that's memorable and continually surprising. Each planet has its own look and feel – one with rings, one overlooked by a gas giant, another by an explorable moon. And there's artistry at work, not only in the colourful yet deadly fauna, and beauty of its worlds and rusting space stations, but also in the way the plot is woven in with your character and those you recruit to your crew. Every aspect has been thought through and refined, creating what is one of the most enthralling role-playing games of recent years.

GameSpace (9/10):
I think anybody that enjoyed playing the Fallout games, as well as anyone that has enjoyed the Mass Effect titles, would unequivocally enjoy their time playing The Outer Worlds. I had so much fun exploring every nook and cranny, scouring out-of-the-way locations for loot, taking everything that wasn't nailed down, and immersing myself in the otherworldy locations around Halcyon.

TrueAchievements (4.5/5):
Aiming for the stars worked admirably for Obsidian Entertainment with this fantastic sci-fi RPG. There are elements of Obsidian's earlier work, especially Fallout: New Vegas which will delight longtime fans. Yet The Outer Worlds excels most when it has fun within its own unique identity. The wealth of lore and world-building details could be a little overwhelming for brand new players, but a little confusion early on shouldn't stop anyone from taking The Outer Worlds for a spin.

CGMagazine (9/10):
The Outer Worlds is most assuredly not a "pick up and play" burn through title. This game will keep you occupied for a long, long time. There is simply so much to do, so many characters to meet (all wonderfully voiced and written of course), and oh-so-many fun little secrets to uncover. I played around 25 hours for this review and got so caught up in various side-quests I never finished the main story. But that's kind of the point, right? Obsidian has created a world you want to spend as much time in as possible, to the result where you keep telling yourself "I just need to finish this quest and then I'll go to bed" for two hours straight. It oozes charm and love and personality from every orifice, and even once the gaming community has cracked all the secrets and listened to or read every single line of dialogue, it will probably already have a few expansions and mods for days. I can't speak on the former, of course, with any credibility, but with the colossal amount of effort Obsidian has put into this title so far I'd be shocked if they didn't keep it going. If you (like everyone) thought Fallout: New Vegas was the best Fallout game and wanted to see what the studio could do under their own steam, The Other Worlds is a perfect showcase. It's everything you could want, and outside of a few minor bugs and quirks (it wouldn't be an Obsidian title without them), I don't have anything bad to say.

Game Rant (4.5/5):
The Outer Worlds is a lot, in the best way possible. It packs so much RPG goodness into a tight package that fans are going to be engrossed from beginning to end. More importantly, the choices presented to them are so inviting and diverse that it will be easy to start up a second playthrough and feel like new experiences are on the horizon. Put simply, The Outer Worlds is the deep sci-fi RPG that gamers have been promised from so many franchises, and only now has been delivered.

The Daily Dot (4.5/5):
Put simply: The Outer Worlds is everything you'd want from a modern RPG. There's no "right" way to play, and there are no easy decisions. At least, the game doesn't seem to think so. It provides a well-realized, organic universe to explore and allows you the freedom to choose your way through gorgeous environments and complex conflicts. I already want to tour the solar system as a different explorer and see what else the game is hiding beneath the surface. It marks a tremendous achievement from one of the most accomplished developers in the genre.

Shacknews (9/10):
The Outer Worlds demands players put in the time and effort if they want the best it has to offer. It's a fine game under any circumstances, but it's a top-notch RPG with heavy consequences at almost every turn for those that are willing to immerse themselves. The Outer Worlds doesn't tell you a story, it gives you a world full of interesting characters and asks you to tell your own.

Bloody Disgusting (4.5/5):
I'd love to go into more detail about The Outer Worlds, but a good chunk of what makes it special is the surprises big and small. There's such a familiar framework, but it's pared down to the essentials, daring to not waste your time with filler, and in that time, your perception of characters can be changed, the jokes can be appreciated (The Outer Worlds has a fantastic sense of humor), and the worlds can be marveled at. It's a game that keeps on giving as you can miss so much depending on your choices, and in that sense, it's very much got a classic game feel to it. It's a mixture of eras poured into a satirical sci-fi romp and it's such a joy to experience.

The Outer Worlds may not be exactly what I thought it would be, but I'm so glad it turned out to be what it is.

Generación Xbox (9/10, review in Spanish):
His artistic section and mission design (especially the latter) are at a level only suitable for the best, 100% Obsidian. Sense of acid and irreverent humor, conversations of the most surreal, amazing missions with unexpected turns and the feeling of having the decision power at all times, for all this and much more that we want you to discover for yourself, The Outer Worlds is a outstanding game.

PSX-Sense.nl (9/10, review in Dutch):
We already explained it in the introduction, but The Outer Worlds has become a very strong game. In various areas, such as gameplay and the structure of the world, it knows how to excel, but also in other areas it knows exactly how to hit the right note. The total playing time is perhaps a bit too short for some and we would also like to have had some nicer tunes while playing, but that should not spoil the fun. We do turn on some music ourselves while we're working on The Outer Worlds. And we don't care that we might be singing a little too loud with The Passenger from Iggy Pop. Anyway, with The Outer Worlds, Obsidian once again proves what they are very good at. Recommended!

Gamer.no (9/10, review in Norwegian):
The Outer Worlds are simply real fun. It's fun to play every single time I sit down, whether it's for 10 minutes or 6 hours. Time flies, and with my gang, it's really fun. Obisidan has created and written a universe filled with unique, delightful and well-written characters and lots of good music in an absolutely beautiful soundtrack, which sets the mood of each planet in a beautiful way.

The visual style goes well with the rest, although both face animations and textures are not always top notch at times. I have played on a PlayStation 4 Pro, and despite slightly long loading times on textures, and periodically slightly varying performance, The Outer Worlds is a well-functioning game. I have also experienced very little bugs so far.

It is written with a twinkle in the eye and lots of good humor at the same time as it takes up quite serious and tough themes in the back. It requires its balance, but just that, Obisidian has done very well. And this despite the fact that it is not the story itself that matters, but the freedom you as a player are given in how you want to experience it.

Kind or naughty, brave or cowardly, greedy or generous is up to you. And it's so delicious, so delicious.

Game Revolution (4.5/5):
For over 40 hours, The Outer Worlds allowed me to be a space cowboy with all the adventure, intrigue, and danger that came along with it. Planet-hopping throughout Halcyon is one of the best experiences I've had in a game in years, introducing me to a cast of sympathetic and interesting characters, throwing me into exciting gunfights, and inundating me with tough decisions to make. This is a must-play for RPG fans, and an absolutely vital game for Fallout fans.

MonsterVine (4.5/5):
The Outer Worlds isn't reinventing the RPG wheel here, but it is an incredibly fun world to explore and sink countless hours into.

GamersHeroes (9/10):
The Outer Worlds has quickly cemented it's place as one of the best RPGs of the current generation. Excellent combat, exploration that never gets stale, characters that never grow old, stories and events that hide endless secrets…The Outer Worlds is simply fantastic.

Worth Playing (9/10):
The Outer Worlds is an excellent attempt at capturing the Fallout formula in a new setting. It's honest about what it's trying to be, and it never shies away from it. While it may lack the sheer size of Bethesda's behemoth, The Outer Worlds still captures the fun and enjoyment of exploring, completing quests, finding new loot, and being a futuristic adventurer. Anyone who enjoyed the previous-generation Fallouts or is looking for a solid RPG will find a lot to like in The Outer Worlds.

The Games Machine (9/10, review in Italian):
The Outer Worlds is the great work of Obsidian Entertainment: an RPG with a leading role-playing facility capable of offering a wide range of possibilities to any type of player. The narrative background is decidedly solid, thus succeeding in guaranteeing an important and full frame of nuances to a plot enhanced by a rather compact play structure devoid of all the dispersion of other role-playing videogames which, unlike The Outer Worlds, make use of of an open world scaffolding. The return of Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain on the scene is therefore accompanied by a work that touches on excellence, unfortunately stained only by some slips in the combat system. To note, finally, the cleaning of the game code: in more than thirty hours I came across a single rather important bug that caused a couple of crashes, a bug that I managed to get around easily and that will probably be solved in very short time. A result, the latter, undoubtedly well accepted but far from obvious when it comes to a video game by Obsidian Entertainment.

Gamer Escape (9/10):
The Outer Worlds is a love letter to how role-playing games used to be without becoming a nostalgia trip. Too many modern RPGs get caught up in trying to tell a story to you instead of with you. Obsidian has reminded us of what was fun about these games to begin with: the role playing. What it has to do right, it excels in, and what it just needs to not screw up it does really well. It's one of those rare games where as soon as I started creating my character, I knew I was in for a good time.

In the last handful of years, with all these "games as a service" pretending to be RPGs, it felt good to play a game I didn't know I was missing. Obsidian have made a career out of being the unsung heroes to role-players the world over, and they have struck gold yet again. It may not be the flashiest, prettiest, or most obvious choice for meeting your RPG crave, but trust me, The Outer Worlds is a can't miss gem of not just 2019, but the entire generation.

XGN (9/10, review in Dutch):
Obsidian Entertainment heeft een flinke waslijst aan RPG's gemaakt en het is te merken dat ze hebben geleerd van voorgaande titels. Liefhebbers van Fallout: New Vegas zullen bijvoorbeeld veel elementen zien terugkeren en wat ons betreft is dat een goede zaak. De game biedt een uitgebreid hoofdverhaal die je 25 tot 30 uur zoet houdt, veel zijmissies met talloze keuzes en heerlijke zwarte humor. De hoeveelheid planeten mocht wat ons betreft alleen iets groter zijn en de combat voelt soms een beetje clunky, maar dat mag de pret niet bederven. The Outer Worlds is de beste RPG van Obsidian Entertainment tot op heden.

Hobby Consolas (89/100, review in Spanish):
As a whole, The Outer Worlds is a very pleasant surprise, which will undoubtedly compensate for your desire for Wilderness if you were somewhat saturated with the overdose of Fallout 4 tasks (without a doubt, this new game is much more direct and accessible) or disappointed with the lack of ambition of Fallout 76 ... But do not fool yourself, this game has its own personality and will catch you as much as a good offer of Space Bargain, the company that brings you the best products on this side of Alción.

Vandal (8.9/10, review in Spanish):
Those who would like a successor to Fallout New Vegas because of its ability to allow you to lose yourself in their world and discover dozens of interesting secrets and stories, Obsidian's new is not for them. But those who enjoy the purely role of the slope, a well-written script and interesting characters, what they will find in The Outer Worlds is more and better: a space adventure full of sarcastic humor with moldable worlds based on decisions, companions that we will never want to abandon, really crazy weapons and a well-argued message, and in these times, more necessary than ever.

Multiplayer.it (8.9/10, review in Italian):
As we have tried to explain in the review, The Outer Worlds is a typical Obsidian title, which guarantees a certain freedom of approach at all levels, trying to tell a good story too. If you like the style of the Neverwinter Nights 2 developer, you will surely appreciate this too. Of course, we would have liked to see a little more general courage and the compression of some maps is decidedly disturbing, but otherwise we are faced with an excellent title, waiting to see the first effort after Microsoft's acquisition.

IGN Italy (8.8/10, review in Italian):
The Outer Worlds is an excellent role-playing game that offers ample freedom and successfully re-proposes many of the elements that had made Fallout: New Vegas special, it is certainly not the most innovative and original video game ever seen, but after all it didn't even want to be . Players disappointed by the direction taken by Bethesda and calling loudly for a return to a more focused formula on statistics, skills and choices will not be disappointed. And all the others will find a great RPG on which to spend their time.

4Players.de (86/100, review in German):
It feels like a mix of Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect and Firefly. A futuristic Western, with its black humor to make you smile, but also with its multi-layered characters and socio-critical issues to think. At times, The Outer Worlds seems like a brilliant professor making a speech about the tragic end of the world. And best of all, it's time to reward role-players who like to invest in rhetorical skills and subtle maneuvers. Nevertheless, you can not only sneak or convince dipomatisch, but let it really crack and play Bad Ass! However, I recommend the third level, otherwise it is too easy. Look forward to a creatively designed game world, great dialogues, free development, multiple factions, lively party interaction, well-geared quests with some great surprises and martial battles. Unfortunately, there is too much unnecessary loot and crafting, some tasks are somewhat superficially staged, the everyday life and the reactions of the people seem too static, the shooter mechanics are only solid, there are no German speakers, there are both technical and AI deficits. But they never take on proportions like in the days of Fallout New Vegas - Obsidian has increased significantly in terms of production quality. The fact that The Outer Worlds had to fight a bit for the award, is ultimately due to the lack of consistency in the character and faction behavior. There was more in terms of role-playing virtues! But the narrative strengths, the companions and the network of tasks and creative ideas in detail compensate so much that I could sink into the night. You can easily sense that here Timothy Cain and Leonard Boyarsky were experienced masters of their craft at work. For me, The Outer Worlds is the best role-playing game of 2019 despite its weaknesses. I'm looking forward to the first exclusive game for Microsoft and Xbox Scarlett.

IGN (8.5/10):
With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian has found its own path in the space between Bethesda and BioWare, and it's a great one. And considering that new RPGs from either of those influential developers are still years away, this game couldn't have been timed any better. It's not as explorable as one big open world but it still packs in a large portion of flexible quests and conflicts within its series of smaller ones. And the combat, character, and companion systems have enough new spins on existing ideas to make it feel like an homage with its own personality rather than a copy.

God is a Geek (8.5/10):
Ultimately, if you've played a Fallout game before, you won't be surprised by many of The Outer Worlds' systems and features, but each familiar idea is tweaked just enough to feel different if not unique. A wealth of side quests and places to explore ensure that you can never quite predict what's over the next horizon, and some surprisingly intelligent and thoughtful writing shoots a bolt of maturity through the satirical atmosphere that provides levity and occasional pause for thought. The retro-futuristic, space western style may be nothing new in 2019, but The Outer Worlds approaches it with such undeniable charisma that you can't help but be drawn into its colourful, diverse universe. And what's more, it's so confidently written and lovingly made that you'll almost certainly want to go back for another adventure when you're done.

Press Start Australia (8.5/10):
The Outer Worlds is the kind of inspired take on a genre that could only come from a team as passionate and talented as Obsidian. It's not perfect, but it's creative, succinct, compelling and funny in all the right ways. I sincerely hope that this signals the beginning of a new, ongoing franchise because the people and stories of the Halcyon Colony will stick with me for a long time to come.

AusGamers (8.5/10):
The Outer Worlds, as per this very review, will be compared to Fallout by many who play it. And really, it's the sort of comparison that will probably benefit Obsidian's latest RPG in the long run. Because in the end, Halcyon and its many denizens, corporations, and quirks feel like an original creation worthy of this style of RPG. And much like with the original Fallout, a place well worth visiting again in a larger and more expansive experience. Like, say, in The Outer Worlds 2.

Gamer.nl (8.5/10, review in Dutch):
We can happily forgive The Outer Worlds. The value of this game is not because of the crashing of opponents, but in the gigantic freedom of choice that you have. In the fact that you can shoot down a wanted criminal, but you can also make a pact with him to take back the police. This is a game that always surprises you with unexpected possibilities.

Fextralife (8.5/10):
The Outer Worlds takes you on a unique space adventure of your own making, allowing you to rebuild a whole system from the smallest of details. You can be yourself from every choice to every build, branching out to experience unique interactions and perks from companions. There's no game out there quite like The Outer Worlds, and you should not miss out on the ride.

Paste Magazine (8.5/10):
Obsidian is on to something good with The Outer Worlds. The writing has an irresistible humanity, and the factions, skill system, and dynamic companion interactivity offer a beautifully complicated depth that makes me mourn the loss of Fallout 4 all over again. With it, I don't have to miss Fallout: New Vegas anymore—I can just enjoy what its core features have become. So far, this new horizon looks promising.

SomosXbox (8.5/10, review in Spanish):
It is a joy to see Obsidian back in a genre in which he performs so well, with a project that rubs shoulders with the most anticipated games of the year. The Outer Worlds is not perfect, it is limited and its formula outdated in some aspects, but it fulfills all that it promises. A new first-person role-playing adventure with an interesting narrative, charismatic characters, brilliant conversations and hundreds of playable possibilities for everyone to be who they want to be.

App Trigger (8.5/10):
Obsidian takes the aging Bethesda open-world RPG formula and makes it feel fresh with an outer space setting, shorter length and incredibly sharp writing that should appeal to fans of that signature style of game and fun sci-fi adventures.

LevelUp (8.4/10, review in Spanish):
The Outer Worlds is very enjoyable if you are a fan of good stories and intelligent dialogues. On the other hand, if your tastes are more aimed at FPS and action, this may not be entirely for you, since it is evident that the balance is tilted towards the RPG.

GamePro Germany (83/100, review in German):
Emphasizes old-fashioned sci-fi role-playing game, which scores despite small weaknesses in action and variety with lots of heart and funny dialogues.

Spaziogames (8.3/10, review in Italian):
In The Outer Worlds you may never meet some of the characters to enlist in your ship or you could have them die following a nefarious choice, while coming to one of the available endings. You can get into trouble or you can have unexpected help to fight the Council's lust for power.

But you can also act in reverse, living in a lie, rarely deciding to use violence or using only brute force to enforce your reasons. It really is up to you to decide and prepare for all the consequences of the case, in a crazy ride for justice in a world inspired by the pulp science fiction of the 1930s and pursued by a pungent irony that can always be on the piece.

The Outer Worlds offers a wide range of choices, situations and game dynamics that will vary significantly from one player to another and between games. And this, let me tell you, is definitely the best value that such a role play can have.

GameCrate (8.25):
If you've spent years craving the old Fallout formula, The Outer Worlds will hit the spot.

Everyeye.it (8.2/10, review in Italian):
The Outer Worlds is a small GDR in size but great in spirit. Obsidian points to the stars of the ruolistic firmament with a razor-sharp writing, subtly refined and deliberately over the top. However, the pen wounds more than the sword (and the gun ...): the shooter and stealth soul of The Outer Worlds is in fact angular, certainly not incapacitating but still with many margins of filing. The freedom of choice, the substantial replayability and the excellent atmosphere that permeates the adventure will make us turn a blind eye to some technical weaknesses and to a main quest that has too much hurry to reach the end credits. If we chose to play The Outer Worlds as Obsidian thought, that is, by interspersing the main campaign with the numerous optional activities, we will discover a micro universe as bizarre as it is multi-faceted and surprising. It will therefore be a pleasure to save, or ruin, the destiny of these distant worlds.

IGN Spain (8.2/10, review in Spanish):
Obsidian, the RPG teachers say goodbye to their "independence" with a game very focused on those aspects for which Fallout New Vegas was so well received by the community. To this formula does not add great news, risking little and focusing on adapting mechanics and elements to the new setting. The salt in the recipe has the clear commitment to humor and satire, which bathe this whole plot proposal. It brings out a script quite well written in terms of its dialogues that lacks some more depth in its main story and what guides our character in his journey through the colony.

InsideGamer.nl (8.2/10, review in Dutch):
The Outer Worlds seems to be strongly inspired by the Fallout series, this brand new franchise can stand proudly on its own. With a complete universe full of memorable characters, interesting stories, beautiful environments and spicy choices, this is a wonderful game to lose yourself in. The game is not the longest, but it is extremely suitable to redo the choices made.

Merlin'in Kazanı (81/100, review in Turkish):
When we come to an end, The Outer Worlds is an entertaining game with dozens of details in terms of story, successful role-playing, and in some places with chronic mistakes. Obsidian's talented developer of the game world, the production of the hand, will easily mark the recent period.

Spiel Times (8/10):
Despite having quite a few flaws, the game still stands out in the RPG genre, with the game's writing being instrumental in getting it there.

VGC (4/5):
The Outer Worlds's real challenge is getting over what it isn't, to enjoy what it is. It's a game that only reveals much of its cleverness over time: both as events snowball, and as you discover the potential spread of multiple playthroughs. To discover those brains you have to look past limitations and accept this isn't Galactic Fallout – you have to wait for Bethesda's Starfield for that – and appreciate that this is a small slice of space with deep consequences. Manage that, and frosty first impressions thaw faster than a ship full of human popsicles.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
The Outer Worlds is the game that fans have wanted Obsidian Entertainment to make for the better part of a decade. The story is the main attraction here, with Obsidian's witty writing coming to the fore in an interesting and funny interstellar setting. If that's what you look for in your RPGs, The Outer Worlds will not disappoint.

Twinfinite (4/5):
While I have certain issues with the variety in the game's design, its story and narrative were consistently engrossing. I'd be remiss to not say I was hoping the Outer Worlds might be more than it is, but I still really enjoyed what's there.

As a more compact Fallout-like experience The Outer Worlds really works, and I'm already hoping that we'll get to return to the Halcyon Colony again someday.

GamesRadar (4/5):
Those expecting a straight-up spiritual successor to Fallout: New Vegas might be surprised by Obsidian's more contained and old-fashioned approach to science fiction, but stick with this unashamedly talkative tragic comedy, and you'll discover one of the smartest games of the year.

USgamer (4/5):
In an alternate reality where modern Fallout retained the the focus on choice and role-playing, The Outer Worlds would be the result. Obsidian Entertainment delivers this small window into that alternate reality, a game that prizes picking the right skills to tackle weird and wild situations. The Outer Worlds shines in the writing, but the combat doesn't equally rise to the occasion. Likewise, the planets you visit could use a few more quests or interesting spots to explore. The Outer Worlds is still a fun romp though, something that will hopefully build to something bigger in the future.

GameSpew (8/10):
Put the essence of the Fallout, Mass Effect and Borderlands series into a blender, and what you get is The Outer Worlds. It's an open-world adventure that lets you visit run-down planets and face their hostilities. There are people to recruit, relationships to maintain and difficult decisions to be made. And it's all wrapped in a lighthearted tone, although not at the expense of a strong story; The Outer Worlds really does have good dialogue. It's just a shame that you spend so much time running though environments that feel deader than Fallout's wastelands.

Attack of the Fanboy (4/5):
The Outer Worlds might not be exactly what you think it's going to be. It's a smaller game, one that focuses on replay value and role play fantasy to really get the most out of the experience. It's a dense game though, where there's plenty of lore packed into smaller sandbox style areas. It's up to you to poke around in the corners of these areas to get the most out of it.

RPG Site (8/10):
The presentation being lacklustre should in no way be a dealbreaker though. Obsidian have crafted a smart, witty, deep RPG experience that feels confident in its own shoes. It keeps its focus on having good role-playing mechanics, whilst still managing to have an involved combat system that improves on what we've seen done in the genre before. Microsoft and Obsidian seem set on making The Outer Worlds a franchise, and if that's the case then this is a hell of an introduction.

GameZone (8/10):
The Outer Worlds cements itself as an incredibly memorable RPG. Obsidian has built a vibrant and freeing world that is fresh, exciting, and ripe with galactic potential that will hopefully continue being explored in sequels. Even with its shortcomings, its easy to see Obsidian's newest RPG bordering on instant classic status.

Hardcore Gamer (4/5):
Even with these unfortunate and evident shortcomings on the technical side, The Outer Worlds is a rewarding and ultimately intriguing adventure to partake in. Delivering on that same kind of old-and-new synergy of RPG staples that have allowed this niche of AA-tier RPGs — limitations notwithstanding — to flourish in recent years. For those who've already experienced Obsidian's beloved 3D envisioning of Fallout — from quest progression to the way dialog can flow in a number of potential routes, to the very tone and on-point character writing — while instantly recognizable, it remains incredibly worthwhile in picking apart so as to uncover the finer detail lying beyond the surface. Not all areas are as deep as the morally-ambiguous narrative or its slew of worthwhile characters, but for those who are patient enough and can appreciate the attention put into giving its world (its many worlds) some nuance beyond simply its artistic efforts, like New Vegas before it, The Outer Worlds' light-hearted trek through shallow, corporate shenanigans, is one RPG that so easily pulls you in and keeps you there many a dozen-hours later.

Critical Hit (8/10):
That's what The Outer Worlds is. Nothing new or revolutionary, but a return to form for a genre that has lost its way. It's a game about choice and consequences, a tale that feels deeply unique to anyone who plays it and wants you to come back and try other avenues so that you can see all of the multiple endings hidden deep inside of it. The Outer Worlds doesn't need to rewrite the book on what it wants to be, because it's already comfortable in its own skin. It's your favourite pair of shoes, well worn and showing some sign of age but still more than capable of taking you where you want to go.

Gamersky (8/10, review in Chinese):
It is impossible to deny the excellent performance of "The Outer Worlds" in creating a role-playing experience. If you like to have fun in the divisive tasks and explorations, and enjoy the adventure itself more than the expectations of the plot, then the 30-hour process is still worthwhile. It's just that at the end you might be as awkward as I am – because the story really ends like this.

Areajugones (8/10, review in Spanish):
Obsidian returns to the load with a video game that recovers the essence of RPG in first person of Fallout New Vegas, repeating both the successes and the errors of this work. A title that, together, overflows quality but feels obsolete since its launch.

3DNews (8/10, review in Russian):
Most of the misses and shortcomings of The Outer Worlds are almost certainly due to a limited budget, because all the previous work of the studio did not suffer from such ailments. And despite the problems, space travel leaves a pleasant aftertaste. There is everything that Obsidian Entertainment is famous for: a thoughtful world, good humor, vivid characters and a sense of your own story, with the obligatory final clip, where you will learn about the consequences of the actions taken. I would like to believe that we will return to Alcyone in the future.

Gameblog (8/10, review in French):
The Outer Worlds is the latest game from Obsidian studio, and it applies the Fallout formula to a new universe, a distant galaxy that man is trying to colonize. You wake up after 70 years of forced sleep, and the colony is in a very bad state. You are free to become his savior or accelerate his fall. The world created for the occasion is teeming with life, we are amazed by so much exoticism and the well-written quests will often be the occasion to make implacable moral choices. Playability question, we remain on a very classic formula, but still works 100%, and even if their game is a little short compared to the standards of the genre. Finally, technically speaking, The Outer Worlds has behaved a lot during our PS4 Pro game session, and if it's closer to a beginning-of-the-generation game than the end game, its overall design and universe have given us delighted and you are clearly advised to let yourself be tempted.

Meristation (8/10, review in Spanish):
The Outer Worlds is a new science fiction RPG adventure by Obsidian Entertainment, masters in the role genre. We notice it only at the beginning and discover the huge amount of customization options we have in terms of attributes and talents. The history and setting of the game are interesting and propose us to travel through different planets, with particular biomes and designs, in which we find a wide range of main and secondary missions that invite us to squeeze the title and its approximately 20 hours of play. It is worth noting the replayability that it presents due to the multiple outcomes that each conversation and situation can have depending on our decisions. As for gunplay, it is fun and we find several weapons with original effects, but we need the crew that accompany us to have more options beyond their particular combat ability.

Technically we find some problems such as a slow loading of textures, excessive loading screens and certain low SPF. On the other hand, graphically it maintains a characteristic and attractive style and in the sound we do not find a particularly remarkable BSO but a good distribution of voices in English and sound effects carefully to detail. In short, The Outer Worlds will like those who go with the idea that it is a double A (with the limitations that entails) and enjoy a good role title with a story that is worth living as Let's decide to live it.

M3 (8/10, review in Swedish):
The Outer Worlds is an extremely familiar experience, which successfully draws inspiration from some of the most appreciated gaming series of the 21st century. Well written as a thousand, so is it, with lots of exciting twists in the story and memorable moments.

The character gallery and humor definitely carry the story, and although some elements have been able to evolve more, we are little fond of Obsidian's new space opera.

OnlySP (4/5):
Fans that have been following all things The Outer Worlds up until launch will not be disappointed here. Obsidian managed to produce a title that is completely carried and elevated by its world(s) and characters. With the amount of interesting interactions filled in each conversation, The Outer Worlds will always beg to be revisited. Sadly, The Outer Worlds shot for the moon and only landed among the stars, thanks to combat that feels like shooting a BB gun at walls of sponge. Lackluster combat is only one flaw, but when players are spending nearly half of their time taking part in the flaw, its problems are unavoidable. Still though, Obsidian has crafted something special that fits right up there with its contemporaries. The Outer Worlds completely succeeds in its mission to take players on an interplanetary adventure in ways that have not been seen in gaming for some time. Hopefully, other titles will follow in its footsteps when taking players to brand new worlds.

MMORPG.com (8/10):
In the end, I enjoyed the 40 hour ride through the The Outer Worlds, even though it was sometimes a bumpy one. Still, with the interesting world that was built here, it feels like there was left a lot of untapped potential on the road. Flaws similar to the Fallout series – namely a main story that is little more than a frame holding together the sandbox that the rest of the game is and correspondingly flat characters – prevent it from earning a place in the hall of fame of roleplaying-shooters next to Mass Effect.

PC Games (8/10, review in German):
Shortly before the end of the year, Obsidian delivers a thoroughly likeable, thoroughly atmospheric adventure that, by and large, delivers what I was hoping for: a wonderfully scrapped sci-fi setting, lovable characters and well-written dialogues full of decision-making options. For that alone, I liked to play it through! I also like the clearly recognizable influences of Fallout: New Vegas, the game almost feels like an incredibly elaborate mod, which has now been implemented as a remake with the Unreal Engine (yes, that's a praise!). But as much as I like the setting and retro feel, I'm not totally thrilled: Neither the prey system nor in the fighting or character development, the role-playing game can score properly, here waiting for any surprises or your own ideas. And even with the factions and quests I can not shake the feeling that Obsidian gives away many opportunities. Often, I feel that my choices and reputation have far less impact than they should. There would have been more possible, just like in the main story, which never bores, but never really stands out and highlights. The Outer Worlds is a long way off from the "must-have" rating for me, but it's always been a whimsical sci-fi ride.

The Indie Game Website (8/10):
All said, The Outer Worlds is a successful game that will please the Fallout fans, the Bioware Fans, and the CRPG fans. That, in itself, is an accomplishment worth noting. Stories like that of the quest giver who took his own life rather than reap what he had metaphorically sown are infrequent but worth the price of admission. And the cast of secondary characters, from your companions to the sassy ship AI to the frenetic doctor who precipitates your journey, breathe life into the pockets of humanity you visit.

Anyone less discerning with their revolutionary tales might think I'm being harsh. And perhaps I shouldn't expect so much from a game that named its city of corporate excess Byzantium. But when The Outer Worlds attempts to play with ideas like the logical conclusion of America's market empire in 2019, I get to be disappointed when the endeavor falls short.

Cubed3 (8/10):
The Outer Worlds soars on the strength of its characterisation not only of the main crew but its supporting cast. Every character met is a fleshed out personality with their own hopes and dreams that will keep the quest log full, just to hear the peaks and troughs of life on the fringes of space from another point of view. With such a lot going for it narrative wise, it's a relief to see the combat, skill tree, and controls not let the side down; the only downside being the emptiness of some of the major settlements, especially after speaking to so many about a hub of life on every corner. With the time and care given to making everything so unique, not only the buildings but also the inhabitants, it's a small gripe that doesn't detract from an otherwise great title.

3DJuegos (8/10, review in Spanish):
The Outer Worlds is a tremendously irregular video game, with some weaknesses and a technical section not only lacking in aesthetics but with some palpable defects that sometimes make it uncomfortable, especially in console. However, if what we like is the role, the new Obsidian video game reminds us of the reasons why those responsible are among the best RPG authors. An expansive world in which we can take part, with many decisions to face and with a good range of options to do things. If we are able to tolerate its defects, we have great and long entertainment at hand.

PC Gamer (79/100):
There's a category of games I think of as Saturday morning cartoon games. They lack depth, but they are fluffy and easy to enjoy. As I look back on some screenshots as Pippin laser blasts a poor marauder into a pile of dust, I realise that's what The Outer Worlds is to me. If you meet it on those terms, I think you'll enjoy it.

Wccftech (7.8/10):
The Outer Worlds is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Obsidian. The first-person action RPG features a great setting, fantastic writing and remarkable, complex characters to meet. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as exciting, though, failing to measure up with the best in the genre. Still, there's plenty to like here as long as you know what you're getting into, not to mention the potential for a sequel to be much better, particularly if the developers had a higher budget to work with.

Jeuxvideo.com (15/20, review in French):
The Outer Worlds is a rather complete experience and delivers what is expected of an Obsidian game in this vein. Unfortunately, his overall lack of staging makes the adventure flatter than it should have been, and the mechanics that govern the outbreak of a NPC fight or flight after a dialogue. example, seem a bit anachronistic. Firing up in the heart of a city will not panic, or decimate the ranks of a faction in the outer courtyard of the building abbot its leader will not really affect if access to audit building triggers a loading time ... so many small details that, in 2019, undermine the immesion and consistency of the game. This old-school aspect would not have been a handicap too big if the title had counterbalanced its weaknesses through a stronger artistic direction, a little less gadget or more efficient mechanics or just a little more engaging story. It's still a very good start in the Obsidian galaxy, a nice adventure and a great opportunity to find the label of a studio that fans like it.

PC Invasion (7/10):
Nonetheless, remember what I said at the start: The Outer Worlds is a good game. It's an enjoyable, amusing, and regularly chaotic romp through a fascinating take on unchecked corporate rampancy. I just would've liked to have been able to describe large parts of the gameplay as "innovative" rather than "serviceable."

PCGamesN (7/10):
While Obsidian's garnered quite a reputation for buggy games at launch, I didn't run into many major technical issues during my time with the game. Well, not until the very end, at least – a single, repeatable crash during the game's final sequence was the only bug I hit, but it was one that I could only get around by killing an NPC I'd much rather have talked to. That'll surely get an eventual patch, and while it was disappointing in the moment, this is a much better technical showing than the studio has historically put forward.

The Digital Fix (7/10):
The Outer Worlds isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, it boasts excellent combat, intriguing side missions, and a spectacularly diverse setting. It's unfair to call the game Fallout in space, but sadly many will make this connection as The Outer Worlds borrows too heavily from its influences and doesn't add anything particularly groundbreaking to the gameplay. After nearly 30 hours with The Outer Worlds, I was left disappointed, and not because of its flaws, but by its lack of originality.

Eurogamer Italy (7/10, review in Italian):
The Outer Worlds remains a highly recommended work for all lovers of western-style role-playing games, especially for those who will find it within the Xbox Game Pass, and the start-we hope-of a series with the potential really interesting.

GRYOnline.pl (7/10, review in Polish):
I spent about 30 hours with The Outer Worlds. At that time, I completed both main story paths and watched both basic end variants (starting the second approach, I simply went back to the record made at the moment from which one thread finally excludes the other - this is only at the end of the adventure). I still have a good dozen or so hours of exploring Arkadia and completing side quests. The latest Obsidian Entertainment games have fallen into my heart (Pillars of Eternity II and Tyranny rated 9/10, I gave the first PoE only half a point less), so I promised a lot after The Outer Worlds. Unfortunately, this time the erpeg veterans should have a leg. Their latest work does not stand out over the second league, where positions such as GreedFall or Elex make him competitors. Fortunately, 2019 will not pass without real gems in the RPG genre. Just a week ago, the disco Elysium, mentioned in the frame, hit the market - a phenomenal "isometric", in which I fell in love at first sight. Against the background of such a game, TOW looks simply poor.

Millenium (69/100, review in French):
Hard blow for the little guys of Obsidian, yet very resourceful when it comes to making the CRPG pure juice, they are quickly overwhelmed when they want to get closer to a modern RPG. The duo Cain and Bayorski unfortunately did not succeed in transforming the test, leaving The Outer Worlds with his label "Fallout New Vegas but in space" without being able to draw a pin from his game. integrates do not work very well and the exploration proposal is clearly not at the rendezvous, with ridiculously small and uninteresting areas, as well as an atmosphere "in space, but not too much". However, there is still a rather nice game on the end, with a story and characters that expand a little more and a replayability that can be argued, as long as the formula "Elder Scrolls" does not put off.

GamingTrend (65/100):
For better or worse, The Outer Worlds is a perfectly middle-of-the-road open-world RPG. It doesn't take any big risks, but that also keeps it from falling on its face. Despite some great writing, the game doesn't have much to say about the corporate dystopia it establishes, ultimately playing it too safe to justify the premise. Obsidian's expertise with the genre makes The Outer Worlds a competent RPG, if not an especially interesting one.

VG247 (3/5):
The Outer Worlds serves a need and fills a gap very neatly at the end of this console generation. The charm of The Outer Worlds lends itself to water-cooler tales and other moments to share, and certainly more than one playthrough adopting alternative styles. It's safe, but very welcoming. I can even see it developing into sequels if Microsoft chooses to support it and the fans embrace it, which I have no doubt will happen – some games are just made to cosplay. For those that were disappointed with Fallout 76 going online multiplayer, this is the single-player RPG you've been looking for. If you're hankering for somewhere you can while away the hours talking shit, chuckling and prodding at the locals, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have surgery next week and have to spend a week at home. Good reviews means i'm buying this so let's go!

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I'm normally quite good at predicting reviews... but this one has me guessing 'till the end. Interested to see what happens... I want it to be good!

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know aaaanything about this game lol but still excited to read some reviews. Hope its good!

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feels weird. Normally i can safely guess reviews by about a 0.5 margin, but now it can be anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0. I have reservations though. I feel it be more towards the former than the latter.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Feels weird. Normally i can safely guess reviews by about a 0.5 margin, but now it can be anywhere from 7.0 to 9.0. I have reservations though. I feel it be more towards the former than the latter.
Fallout 4 has a 87 metascore (6.6 user score). JFYI.

I think this will get a 78.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
I'm excited for a tighter, more focused experience. With Game Pass it's a no-brainer too.

I reckon this could be scoring mid to high 80's.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I've heard that, at least on xbox one x, the game runs smoothly and is not buggy, so I think it should reach at least the 80s

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's be really cool for this game to get 85, just as karma for what happened with Bethesda and New Vegas.

Realistically, I think it will have a hard time getting it with the usual Obsidian jank.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the battle pass looks like for this game!? Any details on number of levels, XP needed and daily bounties!?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Great for fans of the genre and Fallout, but the lower budget may hinder the potential of an experience with wider appeal which will put some critics off. PC critics will likely enjoy more than console critics.

Personally I'm sure I'll love it, exploring those worlds, meeting the characters. Just looks like something I can get truly immersed in and I can't wait.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
85-88. Hopefully it turns out well. Everything they showed looked amazing.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
When people refer to Obsidian "jank", are they talking mostly about New Vegas?

If so, it's probably important to remember that Gamebryo is the common denominator of open world jankiness and not Obsidian. Unreal Engine should be able to handle most of this jank free

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I think that while reviews will be a bit lower than I'd like for a game that I'm hyped for, I'd hope the (potentially fan-) patched version I'll play next year will be much more polished and would be an 85er.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
No idea where this is going to end up. I'm really looking forward to it, and pretty much all of the details Obsidian have been giving about it sound up my alley (as well as their pedigree). However, media and trailers of the game haven't really done anything for me. Nonetheless, hoping Obsidian does a fantastic job and looking forward to checking this out on Game Pass this weekend!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
man, just imagine if this gets super good reviews, like mid 90s

I'd feel so happy for Obsidian

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
When people refer to Obsidian "Kamm", are they talking mostly about New Vegas?

If so, it's probably important to remember that Gamebryo is the common denominator of open world jankiness and not Obsidian. Unreal Engine should be able to handle most of this jank free

Outer Worlds has jank and stiffness, gameplay shows as much. NPC interactions are stiff and lack emotion from animation and VA work. Movement seems to be floaty like in Gamebryo games. Looting seems to be tad janky with lacking good AOE looting. etc.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
78 let's go .

When I see the trailers or clips I see some jank in it as person who was never a fan of any fall out. Tho to me looks like fall out mixed with no man sky . Fans will love it but non fans won't