• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game looks great, but it is quite worriesome that the developer is constantly reminding us how they had a low budget and chose not to do things. So far we know the game is relatively short, does not have mini-games, does not make use of the existing day/night cycle. Hopefully the game manages to strive of their intented features (replayability/humor).

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
User Banned (1 day): Thread whining
Can we have a catch-all thread for this game? We've been seeing footage of this game for a while now. Not sure why this is footage is special?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Game looks great, but it is quite worriesome that the developer is constantly reminding us how they had a low budget and chose not to do things. So far we know the game is relatively short, does not have mini-games, does not make use of the existing day/night cycle. Hopefully the game manages to strive of their intented features (replayability/humor).
40 hours is not short. And what kind of mini-games do you expect in a RPG like this? Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't have day/night cycle either, and it's AAA.

I mean, The Outer Worlds is certainly not a AAA game, but those things are not something to be worried about from this game.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Sold (even though I don't have to buy it due to gamepass)

Even as someone who likes to "own" games (I think we all know why I put quotes there) Gamepass has been a great way to try games I normally wouldn't before I buy them. On paper this game sounds like a Bethesda RPG and Borderlands had a baby which few games would be more off putting to me than that but what I've seen of it has looked pretty interesting.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

From personal experience, I think it is very important to give your players realistic expectations. If they only find out about such things for after they bought the game, they tend to be a lot less forgiving than if you tell them in advance. And honestly, I am quite happy with a rpg that "only" takes 40h or so, which is around the lenght of KotOR or Mass Effect 2 I think.

Oct 28, 2017
40 hours is not short. And what kind of mini-games do you expect in a RPG like this? Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't have day/night cycle either, and it's AAA.

I mean, The Outer Worlds is certainly not a AAA game, but those things are not something to be worried about from this game.

Hell, I find the lack of mini-games to be a good thing. They're generally really tiresome beyond the first few hours of a game.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
who the hell actually wants shitty hacking or lock picking mini games

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Can we have a catch-all thread for this game? We've been seeing footage of this game for a while now. Not sure why this is footage is special?

Yeah I mostly agree. But true to name as always the GB Quick Look is the longest video of the game I have seen yet and basically contains all the others released in the last week.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
From personal experience, I think it is very important to give your players realistic expectations. If they only find out about such things for after they bought the game, they tend to be a lot less forgiving than if you tell them in advance. And honestly, I am quite happy with a rpg that "only" takes 40h or so, which is around the lenght of KotOR or Mass Effect 2 I think.
Yeah you saw this with things like Witcher 3's Switch port, they weren't trying to fake it and let everyone know they had to make compromises to get it on there, which is obvious to most people but you gotta say it anyways.

I'm quite happy with the scale this game is going for and it looks similar to Divinity Original Sin 2 in the sense that it encourages going back through it with different specs/companions to see different choice options and stuff. I'd rather a 40 hour game where my decisions can affect my playthrough differently than a 80 hour game with all surface level choice making (Fallout 4).

Oct 25, 2017

is not having mini-games supposed to be a negative

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is not having mini-games supposed to be a negative

To me it is. I like hacking minigames like in Fallout or Deus Ex. They might not be ideal, but it's a lot better than just raising a number in a stat screen and then it opens. Rather have something more creative where the stat makes it easier (and sometimes mandatory) to hack the system.

Oct 25, 2017
Hacking minigames are the bane of my existence.
They are never fun or challenging.
The game might as well hit me with a hammer so I pass out for 30 seconds, that would be a preferable experience while still stealing my valuable time.

Also I do not mind a "short" 40 hour RPG.
In fact I welcome it. If you have enough great content to fill a 100 hour game, fantastic.
If you don't, don't make one.
Dragon Age Inquisition would have been a better game if it was 20 hours long and cut out all the "run around and find ressources" bullshit.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
keMEa4G.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i want to like it since the genre is totally my thing and the shorter length is welcomed imo, but i look at it and i can't help seeing a developer wanting to make more fallout but not having the license to do so. i think i'd be ok with a lot of it if the art style was a more...pleasant. but it kinda looks disjointed and amateurish

Oct 27, 2017
i want to like it since the genre is totally my thing and the shorter length is welcomed imo, but i look at it and i can't help seeing a developer wanting to make more fallout but not having the license to do so. i think i'd be ok with a lot of it if the art style was a more...pleasant. but it kinda looks disjointed and amateurish
This. I wish they did something a little different. I like this style of game, but when the art style, motifs, and even gameplay quirks are so reminiscent of fallout, it ends up feeling like a knock off rather than something unique.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any lore that explains why everyone's left ear appears to be on fire in the Giant Bomb quick look?

The game looks a whole lot cleaner in the Gamespot footage, but (or because) it looks like it's missing most of the excessive post-processing effects that usually make it seriously unpleasant to look at. The bizarre dialogue screen lighting setup from GB's video is also absent.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. I wish they did something a little different. I like this style of game, but when the art style, motifs, and even gameplay quirks are so reminiscent of fallout, it ends up feeling like a knock off rather than something unique.
Yeah, why didn't they make a snooker game, instead of the Obsidian Fallout follow up everyone has been clamouring for since New Vegas.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd appreciate if they broke down what they expect most people to finish it at if they did most missions and moderate e exploration. 27 hour median sounds fine for many games, but open exploration rpgs it sounds very short.
I appreciate the new thread as it warns me there's new footage. It's coming out in less than 2 weeks and then it'll be all in the OT.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely in support of no hacking or lockpicking minigames. At best they're interesting at first, but after hours of doing them they always get incredibly tedious.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

40 hours? Nice!!! And that's just story alone?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The people that play Obsidian games want them to make another RPG like this. Obsidian wanted to make a RPG like this. Ta da.

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, why didn't they make a snooker game, instead of the Obsidian Fallout follow up everyone has been clamouring for since New Vegas.
It's not the style of game that's the problem, it's just that new IP aren't that common these days. It's a bit disappointing to get something that's so close to what we already have in terms of tone and aesthetic. I would've preferred something more unique is all.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
GiantBomb's longer video really makes amount of and length of loading screens more obvious. Weird that they have broken game down into so many smaller segments when running on UE4.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the style of game that's the problem, it's just that new IP aren't that common these days. It's a bit disappointing to get something that's so close to what we already have in terms of tone and aesthetic. I would've preferred something more unique is all.
thats just it though, a lot of people, me included, did not like fall out 4, so a fall out style game is what we want. its been a decade since the last good one.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
GiantBomb's longer video really makes amount of and length of loading screens more obvious. Weird that they have broken game down into so many smaller segments when running on UE4.

On the bright side, that bit about reactivity and the loading screens themselves reflecting your decisions in the game sound cool.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hmm no day/nightcycle in a game like this??

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is for people who consider this game to be the true Fallout 4, after New Vegas, which was considered the true Fallout 3. It's all intentional and deliberate.