• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's this really soft look to the game I don't like. I don't know if it's the chromatic aberration or the anti-aliasing. Usually I don't mind either, but if it's the CA then it's really intense.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Bah! I had to go down from ultra to very high. With gsync it's okay but I clearly need to start thinking about upgrading now. Sigh.
1080p
i7 4790k
1080ti

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
i7700 cpu 1080 gpu. 1440p monitor. BUT resolution is 1120p or some shit cant change in options literially greyed out. Anyways everything is ultra and FPS feel 60ish plus and G-sync smooth so overall I am happy. 1120 thing is wierd but game looks clean and fps is not a problem.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Kinda surprised what a modern day performance puller this is considering that visually it looks good but not like it's doing anything beyond stuff from 3-4 years ago.

My GTX980 SLI setup (which I'm sure SLI doesn't work, so essentially just one 980) is doing ok at 1440p and high/very high mix but the framerate is very erratic. I'll be getting a nice smooth framerate (using gsync) walking around and then 2 guys will attack me and the framerate will turn into a slide show for a few seconds.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even at 4k it looks way too soft and CA is like bloodborne levels of awful. While i like the look of environments , the character models are rough

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
PS... played on my Xbox one X tonight. FPS feels(If i had to guess)like 40-60 no G-sync so kinda bad. Plus some pop-in of textures and even objects that I got none of on PC. Like cycle your weapons quick and they are low-res for 2 secs till till the high -res textures take effect. Still very playable on X1X but some issues for sure.

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why the F no cross-save/progression like Gears 5....Destiny2?? I pick up and play those seemlessly from X1X to PC ,why not this witch is first party?

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
[SystemSettings]
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

These have been great for me, thank you!

Why the F no cross-save/progression like Gears 5....Destiny2?? I pick up and play those seemlessly from X1X to PC ,why not this witch is first party?

Yeah this bit me in the arse. I must have spent a good 5 hours on Xbox while waiting for the PC version to go live and then had to start again. My own fault for not doing the research obviously but it's still a shame.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Get a lot of microshutter in places on edgewater but past that it disappears. Groundbreaker seems fine on 4690k and 580

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I figured out how to smooth the gameplay. It fixes a good amount of the hitching but doesn't get rid of it completely. The view distance in this game is garbage, so add this to your engine.ini file:

[SystemSettings]
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2

This will resolve the really bad view distance. I tried playing game with these settings removed, and the hitching still occurs. What has helped a lot is using these settings and then lowering the view distance in the game to low. I do not notice any difference because the above settings render rocks, trees, etc. much better and farther out.

I also have the following settings:

Screen effects: Medium
View distance: Low
Shadows: High
Textures: Ultra
Visual Effects: High

With these settings, I've greatly reduced the hitching. It still occurs but doesn't happen as often or drop the framerate so low. The key is to reduce that view distance and add those lines above to your engine.ini file.

Hope this helps someone.
Hey thanks for you .ini setting. Runs a lot smoother!

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I was just talking about RTSS. Holding the Ctrl key when adding a new application to the list should allow you to add any running process, including a Windows App like the Game Pass version of Outer Worlds. Another option you have is to just use RTSS's Global profile which will apply to any and all applications including Outer Worlds
Thanks.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially dumb question: is there a way to manually check for updates with PC Game Pass games? Or do they just patch automatically?

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
There is an exe

Yu2HjO1.jpg
Even better, thanks.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
for people that don't want to fuck around with ownership and ACLs for WindowsApps, you can use this to disable full screen optimizations if it helps:

Code:
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" -Name "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp\Indiana\Binaries\Win64\IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe" -Value "~ DISABLEDXMAXIMIZEDWINDOWEDMODE"

this will apply the flag for the application in the registry, this trick will work with any executable if you ever run into this and you know the full path
Hey, it doesn't work on my end. Says that the item doesn't exist.
Code:
New-ItemProperty : Cannot find path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers' because
it does not exist.
And checked with the registry editor and yeah, it doesn't. Do I need to make the "Layers" folder or something else?

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I'm playing on a 13" MBP with a Razer Core v2 eGPU housing a Radeon VII and I'm finding no trouble keeping the game pegged at 60fps on ultra at 1440p, but boy turn that up to 2160p and it's a relative slideshow. Bummer I can't play native 4K on my TV.

one thing that's weird is that I'm getting a ridiculous amount of tearing no matter what settings I choose. Had to toggle vSync

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Has anyone had any issues with the game freezing during dialogue?

I've had zero performance issues up until this point, the only thing I've changed is removing CA through the .ini file.

It's at a very specific point in the game too, when you first talk to Reed Tobson. Dialogue just stops and the NPC just sits there staring at me. If I try to reload a save, the game hard crashes on a loading screen and takes forever to close through task manager.

It's done it three times to me now...

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah something feels off about the game's performance. Even if I lock it to 60fps it doesn't feel smooth at all. I'm not talking about stutters but I feel like it's a framepacing issue.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
So I think I figured out how to smooth the gameplay. It fixes a good amount of the hitching but doesn't get rid of it completely. The view distance in this game is garbage, so add this to your engine.ini file:

[SystemSettings]
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2

This will resolve the really bad view distance. I tried playing game with these settings removed, and the hitching still occurs. What has helped a lot is using these settings and then lowering the view distance in the game to low. I do not notice any difference because the above settings render rocks, trees, etc. much better and farther out.

With these settings, I've greatly reduced the hitching. It still occurs but doesn't happen as often or drop the framerate so low. The key is to reduce that view distance and add those lines above to your engine.ini file.

Hope this helps someone.

This is great. Thanks!

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Remember guys that since it's an UE4 game you can do downsampling via ini.

Go to Engine.ini and add this:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.ScreenPercentage=100

100 is the default value (native resolution). Crank it up to 200 for that sweet downsampling.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
This is for Spyro, but since Outer Worlds is also an Unreal Engine 4 game it should work:

Open GameUserSettings.ini and search this line:

FrameRateLimit=XXX.000000

Where XXX put your desired framerate.
Thanks but it didn't work, it reverts back to unlimited FPS if I put 90.00000 over there. There's also another weird entry like "FPSLimit=HundredTwenty" in there as well.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'm running Outer Worlds on 6600K (4.4 Ghz) 1070 (overclocked) rig with 16GB of 3200 Mhz ram.
1080p resolution with 60 fps cap on very high settings seems to have a lot of frame skipping (is that what it is called?). Doesn't seem to improve with high settings.
I dropped shadows to low and it helped a bit, but still it isn't smooth. Not sure what the fps is since there isn't fps option and I don't have Rivatuner installed

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who dislike CA as much as I do, go to your config file location (PCGW will show you where to go) and punch this in to the Engine.ini file:
[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
Bah! I had to go down from ultra to very high. With gsync it's okay but I clearly need to start thinking about upgrading now. Sigh.
1080p
i7 4790k
1080ti
Upgrading? From that? You're set to play the game comfortably at very high framerates with a rig like that, especially if you're only running at 1080p. What's your RAM situation? Only running single-channel? Low RAM speeds?
I'm running Outer Worlds on 6600K (4.4 Ghz) 1070 (overclocked) rig with 16GB of 3200 Mhz ram.
1080p resolution with 60 fps cap on very high settings seems to have a lot of frame skipping (is that what it is called?). Doesn't seem to improve with high settings.
I dropped shadows to low and it helped a bit, but still it isn't smooth. Not sure what the fps is since there isn't fps option and I don't have Rivatuner installed
Try running in exclusive fullscreen. I noticed many stutters happening in borderless windowed mode, most of which were resolved (outside of apparent loading stutters) in exclusive fullscreen.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
I'm playing with an i7 8700k and a RTX 2080 Ti on 1440p res, locked the game at 60 FPS in the game menu to have the smoother experience possible, runs pretty well with the shadow on very high instead of Ultra.

I only had 2 crashes for no reason and without any error message, during my session yesterday.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
The game runs like shit: CPU and GPU utilization random spike, GPU utilization below 80%, low fps and bad frame pacing.
There's no way a 1070 can't handle such basic UE4 title at 1440p high setting.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing with an i7 8700k and a RTX 2080 Ti on 1440p res, locked the game at 60 FPS in the game menu to have the smoother experience possible, runs pretty well with the shadow on very high instead of Ultra.

I only had 2 crashes for no reason and without any error message, during my session yesterday.
At you running the game at 1440p because your monitor is that res or the the game won't do 4k/60 on your PC? I have the same cpu/gpu so I'm curious, won't be able to play until Sunday.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As a side note, r.MaxAnisotropy=16 doesn't work for me (Engine.ini > [SystemSettings]. The only way to properly have 16x is forcing it from the GPU's driver setting.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At you running the game at 1440p because your monitor is that res or the the game won't do 4k/60 on your PC? I have the same cpu/gpu so I'm curious, won't be able to play until Sunday.
i can play at 4k ultra 60ish fps with 2080ti , but i reduced the internal resolution to 80% , I always like to give some headroom for my gpu

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the stuttering is ridiculous

astonished that the PC version was released in this state

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
If anybody with an RX gpu family has found any solution to the poor perfomance on exteriors I'll be very glad to hear.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, those black spots are appearing in my skybox. They're random and keep flickering. Did it happen to anyone else?

Sometimes it stops, then out of nowhere it comes back

HKEwaij.jpg

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

[SystemSettings]
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2

Hope this helps someone.
This actually let to more hitching and stuttering for me, on top of reducing my framerate by anywhere between 15-30% on average depending on the view area.
It's nice but it's too demanding. Would be good to have a setting that's more of a middle ground.

Last edited: