• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Do you have an nvidia gpu? If so, what are your color settings in the nvidia control panel? When I still had my PC connected to my TV, I would get busted colors when using YCbCr and switching to a non-TV resolution like 1440p, or basically anything that wasn't 720p,1080p,4k. I wonder if that's the same issue you are experiencing.

Is there a fix for this? I have had this issue consistently with many games. If I switch to 1440p in most games (Which I'd like to play at in many situations for performance reasons), my screen usually loses some amount of color depth and usually locks to 30fps.

1080p and 4k have neither of these issues, but it leaves me with the option of, turn down more stuff than I'd like to make 4k work, or crank everything up and still have headroom at 1080p (And not like the resolution).

Sep 21, 2019

Tweaks work. Tonemapper sharpen is already at value of 1 in the game engine, so you would need to increase that value to 1.5 or lower it to .5 for any setting adjustments to take place.

These are my settings in my Engine.ini file, and it makes the game look MUCH better:

[SystemSettings]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=0

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, see my previous post

Thanks a lot.

But that TAA is absolutely destroying all the details in the game (at 1080p resolution on my 1080p display) and the only other solution to go around TAA loss of details appears to be just increasing the game resolution (to 3200x1800 at <30FPS).

The most notable difference from playing the game at high resolution is the moss, which at 1080p or lower resolution with the blur might make one think that moss is just the usual green/grass texture on the ground.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, when I switched over to my regular monitor and stopped using my controller my weird hitching problem seemed to solve itself, so it seems like there's something wrong with my TV that's causing this game to freak out. I noticed I was having crazy screen tearing issues when I played Control that fixed themselves when I turned V-Sync off but whenever I play on this TV I have this nagging feeling that something isn't right. It's a Hisense 43H7C which is a super budget 4K TV, but I don't know enough about TVs to understand what my problem could be unfortunately.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Tweaks work. Tonemapper sharpen is already at value of 1 in the game engine, so you would need to increase that value to 1.5 or lower it to .5 for any setting adjustments to take place.

These are my settings in my Engine.ini file, and it makes the game look MUCH better:

[SystemSettings]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=0
is this only the egs version or will this work with gamepass as well?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
is it normal for enemies to just disappear before you can loot them? It seems like the game only allows a max of 2 dead bodies when outside buildings. Bizarre...

I noticed this in my very first encounter in front of the ship, got into a battle between two marauders and two NPCs and I suddenly lost track of one of the NPCs. I presumed he died but I couldn't find his corpse, and then as soon as I started looking harder I realized the marauders corpses were gone too. The game isn't 1:1 with Bethesda games but I have to admit this broke my immersion a little as I ended up wandering around for ages just trying to figure out what happened to this guy.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Am i the only one who thinks this looks fine on default ultra settings? disabling TAA probably isn't the best idea either, the jaggies would be bad.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, RTSS doesn't seem to work with this game (or at least it doesn't in my pc), how can I get a fps number on the screen?
The game looks insanely aliased without TAA, even when the camera is not in motion.
Yeah, it is awful, I used some settings before that removed it and the shimmering was horrendous.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks insanely aliased without TAA, even when the camera is not in motion.
Figured it would. I'm actually fine with TAA so far in the game. It helps hide the low polygon stuff in the environment and doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it did in stuff like Dishonored 2.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I come back a day later and people have already figured out how to remove CA and DOF, adjust AF and LOD. Bless UE4. Can't wait to try some of these tweaks this weekend.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen reports that you can skip the intro videos with XGP, but I couldn't do it myself. Did anyone manage to do it?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017

[SystemSettings]
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=0

Just a heads up for 5700XT owners on the newest 19.10.2 drivers:

r.PostProcessAAQuality=0 causes heavy artifacting for me with broken reflections and effects. It's seemingly the only setting that does that though. I am running at 4k, windowed fullscreen with vsync on and 75% 3D resolution scaling. Everything set to Ultra except Shadow Quality which is set to 'High'.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, when I switched over to my regular monitor and stopped using my controller my weird hitching problem seemed to solve itself, so it seems like there's something wrong with my TV that's causing this game to freak out. I noticed I was having crazy screen tearing issues when I played Control that fixed themselves when I turned V-Sync off but whenever I play on this TV I have this nagging feeling that something isn't right. It's a Hisense 43H7C which is a super budget 4K TV, but I don't know enough about TVs to understand what my problem could be unfortunately.
That's weird that your screen tearing STOPPED with v sync off. That's.... Not normal.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Bah, new AMD drivers broke the inventory character model

I can confirm this:

amdouterworldsq5kfr.png

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious if there's a performance difference between the Game Pass and EGS version of the game, particularly if people on EGS has the same stuttering issues.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
Does anyone know if there will be a patch to fix the stuttering and frame drops?

I am having performance issues all over the place. It was somewhat manageable till the first town. Lowering my graphic options doesn't seem to help and when I lowered the FPS, it became unplayable. I am currently running the game on high and using an unlocked framerate. Originally, I was hoping to run the game at 120FPS or even 60fps. I even tried 30fps, but the stuttering worsened. I've listed my specs below if anyone has any advice. Thanks

CPU: Ryzen 1500x overclocked to 3.8Ghz
GPU: AFX Vega 56 flashed with 64 BIOS (GPU is maxing out at 100% while playing)
RAM: 16BG Ballistix 2400Mhz
HD: WD 7200RPM ( I can swap to SSD if that will make a huge difference. I will just need to clean up some space on my boot drive.)

Edit: I don't know if this will help or not, but I am using the GamePass version.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's frustrating how much more limited the Game Pass version of this is than a normal Steam release would be.
  • No DualShock 4 (or Steam Controller) support.
  • Stuck wasting time watching logos every time the game boots.
  • No SpecialK so I'm stuck with the old Full-Screen Exclusive mode, since Borderless does not use flip-mode and forces the game into ultrawide (which is broken).
  • Using Alt+F4 to quit doesn't actually kill the process, so it complains that the game is already running the next time you try to launch it.
It's disappointing that the frame rate limiter only has options for 30/60/120 and beyond, since I typically limit games to 90 (100Hz G-Sync).
Mouse sensitivity seems tied to frame rate too, so I can't leave it unlocked.
And it really should have some form of sharpening control and chromatic aberration options.

I'm also getting noticeable stuttering when running around the world, even with everything set to low (sometimes things like ultra textures can cause stuttering).

Does Dualshock 4 work without any software?
Nope. I thought Microsoft had fixed this by allowing DirectInput devices to work with UWP games, but my DualShock 4 is not detected by the game at all.

BTW this game is set to use Vert- because of course it fucking is […]
It's very annoying that Epic decided to make Unreal Engine VERT− by default. Very few games bother to change this.

Game just froze and rebooted my laptop o_o
Get used to it.
A game should not be able to take down the system like that. Worst-case scenario should be crashing the GPU driver, which Windows 10 can recover from.
If your entire computer rebooted, you have other problems.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
  • Using Alt+F4 to quit doesn't actually kill the process, so it complains that the game is already running the next time you try to launch it
Unfortunately this isn't really an Alt+F4 or even a Game Pass problem. This game just crashes weird, leaving a phantom process running, when you go to exit it, even if you do it from the in-game Main Menu. That phantom process than crashes like 30 seconds to a minute later, but until it does, you get that 'Process already running' error. Other Game Pass games don't have this problem.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. I'd rather keep bad TAA implementations and sharpen the image to have to deal with jaggies. That shit has to die and I'm glad TAA is common nowadays.

Also, there's plenty of games with awesome temporal AA solutions out there.

Yeah, TAA is pretty much a godsend. Being able to sharpen it is even better.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Like what?
It's happened twice now and I've only ever experienced this with this game.
I'd check the system logs to see if it points to anything.
If your system is overclocked at all, you should revert it to stock and see if that helps. With a factory-overclocked GPU, you should enable debug mode in the NVIDIA Control Panel via the help menu.

Launching through Steam will give you controller support though prompts will still be Xbox
I don't think Steam can launch UWP games (and GloSC has never worked well for me).

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to skip intro videos on the game pass version? Can't find an actual install location for the game to edit the videos as PC Gaming Wiki recommends.

Go to
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

and open Game.ini in Notepad.

Add this to the bottom:

[/Script/MoviePlayer.MoviePlayerSettings]
bWaitForMoviesToComplete=False
bMoviesAreSkippable=True
StartupMovies=

(thanks to the person that figured this out for State of Decay 2)

Sep 21, 2019
This game is a janky fucking mess. 2080ti and 8700k, latest drivers from Nvidia, getting hitching in the game no matter what in area around the space ship with no combat or anything. Just walking. Locking framerate to 60fps, playing in 1440p or 4k or even 1080p, no matter what, massive hitching as new areas are loaded in, in the same spots, and frequently. Dropping settings to high and some on medium. Nothing makes a difference. What the fuck?

Sep 21, 2019
Just a heads up for 5700XT owners on the newest 19.10.2 drivers:

r.PostProcessAAQuality=0 causes heavy artifacting for me with broken reflections and effects. It's seemingly the only setting that does that though. I am running at 4k, windowed fullscreen with vsync on and 75% 3D resolution scaling. Everything set to Ultra except Shadow Quality which is set to 'High'.

Yea, I noticed immediately with TAA disabled that the lighting effects in particular turn to shit. Reenabled and dialed up sharpening. Game still runs like a hot fucking mess. I mean I get it isn't AAA, but coming off of Gears 5, where I ran most settings at max with a lock at 120fps even in the open segments, this feels pretty fucking bad that I can't even hold 60 fps. It is the hitching that is driving me up the wall.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. According to PCGW, the EGS version is actually DRM-free in the way a lot of Steam games are -- after you install the game you don't actually need EGS to run it. You can just run it off the executable.

Oh, and from what I can tell the save files for the Game Pass version don't seem to be locked or anything. I can't really tell if they're encrypted or whatever, but for me what shows up are just some .dat files. Is that what shows up for EGS people? I'm asking because saves might be compatible between the two.

Sep 21, 2019
Does anyone know if there will be a patch to fix the stuttering and frame drops?

I am having performance issues all over the place. It was somewhat manageable till the first town. Lowering my graphic options doesn't seem to help and when I lowered the FPS, it became unplayable. I am currently running the game on high and using an unlocked framerate. Originally, I was hoping to run the game at 120FPS or even 60fps. I even tried 30fps, but the stuttering worsened. I've listed my specs below if anyone has any advice. Thanks

CPU: Ryzen 1500x overclocked to 3.8Ghz
GPU: AFX Vega 56 flashed with 64 BIOS (GPU is maxing out at 100% while playing)
RAM: 16BG Ballistix 2400Mhz
HD: WD 7200RPM ( I can swap to SSD if that will make a huge difference. I will just need to clean up some space on my boot drive.)

Edit: I don't know if this will help or not, but I am using the GamePass version.

My GPU isn't maxed at all while playing, hits 40-70% depending if I run 4K or 1440p. Not even to first town yet and the hitching is fucking insane. Running 2080 ti and 8700k. No matter what I do with settings, VSYNC on or off, locked or unlocked framerate, the game just stutters like fuck. Really disappointing and so distracting.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Does Dualshock 4 work without any software?

• No DualShock 4 (or Steam Controller) support.
Nope. I thought Microsoft had fixed this by allowing DirectInput devices to work with UWP games, but my DualShock 4 is not detected by the game at all.

The DS4 is working for me, try ensuring Steam isn't running or disable DS4 support in the controller settings. DS4 icons aren't shown though, just Xbox.