• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone getting some really poor frame pacing? It says the game is running at over 100fps, but it doesn't feel like it at all, and is hitching like crazy when I move the mouse.

To quote myself, like a dumbass I was using the Xbox Game Bar to see the framerate and apparently it doesn't play nicely with this game at all, screwing the frame pacing to all hell.

FlareMW

Aug 2, 2018
So I just add

[PostProcessQuality@4] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

at the end of this?
7xdeBO0.png

That still looks like the normal game settings ini, there should be one that is called Scalability.ini, it was blank when I first opened it and I just added that in to force the effect to disable. You might be able to add r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 to the section you posted but I've not tried it that way myself so can't confirm.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
First impressions, this game is giving me some weird scaling options on my 34" ultrawide. No native resolution option I can choose. What the heck.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why I can't get RTSS to lock this framerste to 60. The game just seems to ignore it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That still looks like the normal game settings ini, there should be one that is called Scalability.ini, it was blank when I first opened it and I just added that in to force the effect to disable. You might be able to add r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 to the section you posted but I've not tried it that way myself so can't confirm.
I did what you originally said in the scalability file and it didn't work.
It also resets the scalability file everytime I quit the game.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Image is stretched too, doesn't seem to have proper ultrawide support. Shame.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The framerate is kind of all over the place at times. It was ok at the very start and in the town, bar some hitching here and there especially after loading. But now it's dropping quite a lot.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue on a 970 right now is hitching as it loads in the next chunk of a level no matter what textures setting I go with so I don't think it's going over VRAM and I'm using an SSD.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Try setting the drive you want to install the game on in the settings menu instead of having it ask you every time.

I did. Still get the message about NTFS. Did a Google search and I'm not the only one having the issue. Games download from Steam and such and the HDD is formatted to NTFS. I'm lost at this point lol.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Town is pretty rough for me. Hitches all over the place between 55-80 with 1070, i7 7700k and 16gb ram. Outside kind of holds decently around 80-100 but town is making me queasy.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Change your fullscreen/borderless options and you'll see it.
The game doesn't support UW properly
Unfortunately I tried this and it doesn't work. It gives me an odd resolution and stretches out the screen. It looks awful.

I went to the Nvidia control panel and turned on integer scaling and that allowed me to play this game in 16:9 mode at 2560 X 1440. Not sure what the fix would be for 10 series cards though because I think Integer Scaling is just a feature of 20 series cards at the moment. Still I hope Obsidian adds proper 21:9 support.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Aw man, impressions here are not what I wanted to hear

guess I'll install it on Xbone X instead

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Unfortunately I tried this and it doesn't work. It gives me an odd resolution and stretches out the screen. It looks awful.

I went to the Nvidia control panel and turned on integer scaling and that allowed me to play this game in 16:9 mode at 2560 X 1440. Not sure what the fix would be for 10 series cards though because I think Integer Scaling is just a feature of 20 series cards at the moment. Still I hope Obsidian adds proper 21:9 support.
For non-20 series cards..

Just use "No scaling" option. That will give you proper 16:9 output.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
First impressions, this game is giving me some weird scaling options on my 34" ultrawide. No native resolution option I can choose. What the heck.
Same here. I am just going to play it on my 4k tv since the ultrawide isn't giving me proper resolutions and apparently all the conversations are 16:9 and has weird scaling elsewhere.

Also, where is scalability.ini? I have the gamepass version so I dunno where the files for Outer World is even located.

Oct 27, 2017
how do i get game bar to show fps? i can't seem to get that update.

It's the Performance window (the one with the CPU and GPU graphs). You can pin it somewhere so it stays open when the game is running. Except seeing as it apparently screws up the frame pacing in some games, it's probably not worth it! Still beta though, to be fair.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I did. Still get the message about NTFS. Did a Google search and I'm not the only one having the issue. Games download from Steam and such and the HDD is formatted to NTFS. I'm lost at this point lol.
Yeah seems to be a problem with the Microsoft Store. The only other thing I found was setting the default drive and then instead of downloading it from the app itself, going to the website and starting the download from there.

Nov 1, 2017
Saw this elsewhere and thought it might help since I saw some people around here talking about the mouse:

The .ini files are in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor but I've had no luck disabling smoothing so far, no matter where I place the variable.

edit: I actually got it working, but not sure what the correct location is. I slammed these lines into all of the .ini files in the directory:

code:
[Engine.InputSettings]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

[/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

So yeah you can fix the mouse, the question might be where it needs to be put in to do so.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Running 1440 Ultra on 2600X/RTX2060. I only dropped shadows down to High and it's good for the most part, but I am getting some frame pacing issues. That is unless the Xbox Game Bar FPS counter is just reading inaccurately.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Just loaded up on my Rig after playing the Xbox One X version. Looks very similar to the "X" version, but on my PC I can go 4k/60fps with everything set to Ultra. I did turn down screen effects to medium to mitigate the CA and it does look better with it lowered. Wish they would patch an option on console and PC to just turn off CA by itself. But runs very smooth and solid 60fps so far. No issues whatsoever for me on the PC version.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I did what you originally said in the scalability file and it didn't work.
It also resets the scalability file everytime I quit the game.
You guys are making this harder than it needs to be. It's very simple.

If Windows Store Version:
AppData\Local\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Open Engine.ini

Add at bottom

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

Chromatic Abberation is now disabled.

Proof: https://imgur.com/gallery/HPsb375

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah seems to be a problem with the Microsoft Store. The only other thing I found was setting the default drive and then instead of downloading it from the app itself, going to the website and starting the download from there.

Tried what you suggested about the website and games are downloading now. Thanks a lot for the help.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
RTX 2080/I7 8700K/16GB DDR4 running on Ultra except Shadows and Textures on very High and the Game runs nearly perfect with average 80-120FPS.
No crashes since release, im happy how good this runs for me.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are making this harder than it needs to be. It's very simple.

If Windows Store Version:
AppData\Local\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Open Engine.ini

Add at bottom

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

Chromatic Abberation is now disabled.

Proof: https://imgur.com/gallery/HPsb375
Ok that worked...thanks.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, how the heck do I get the Xbox Beta app to install the game to a specific drive of mine? I have 3 storage devices: C, D, and E. C and D are SSDs, E is a HDD. For some unknown reason, the Xbox Beta app is reporting the same free disk space for both C and D. It's following what my D drive reports and that one doesn't have enough space in it, so I want to install the game on the C drive. But the app isn't letting me because it's seeing that I lack enough free space there :(

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Ok, how the heck do I get the Xbox Beta app to install the game to a specific drive of mine? I have 3 storage devices: C, D, and E. C and D are SSDs, E is a HDD. For some unknown reason, the Xbox Beta app is reporting the same free disk space for both C and D. It's following what my D drive reports and that one doesn't have enough space in it, so I want to install the game on the C drive. But the app isn't letting me because it's seeing that I lack enough free space there :(
Install the game to E, then in "Apps and Features" find the game and click Move.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I tested EGS version during review period on my GTX 1060-equipped Alienware R13. 60fps without stutters at 1440p, all settings at either ultra or high. Zero crashes.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Running 1440 Ultra on 2600X/RTX2060. I only dropped shadows down to High and it's good for the most part, but I am getting some frame pacing issues. That is unless the Xbox Game Bar FPS counter is just reading inaccurately.
So far, I noticed that overlays from the Xbox Game Bar prevent gsync from working. If you have a gsync monitor, maybe that's the reason why?