• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
outerworldssysreqsonkyf.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; review build)
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)

📊 Performance guides:
Digital Foundry (English; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Disable chromatic aberration: Open [configuration directory]\Engine.ini and add the section mentioned in this post. (Credit to FlareMW and Darktalon.)
Disable mouse smoothing: Open [configuration directory]\Input.ini and add the sections mentioned in this post. (Credit to ??? via Calles.)
Increase level of anisotropic filtering: Follow these instructions. (Credit to ??? @ PCGW via Tovarisc.)
Disable depth of field and/or enable sharpening: Follow these instructions. (Credit to TotallyNotMorgz @ Reddit via chandoog.)
Increase LoD distance: Open [configuration directory]\Engine.ini and add the section mentioned in this post, excising any non-LoD parameters and adjusting the LoD values as desired. (Credit to SunBroDave.)
Skip intro videos: Open [configuration directory]\Game.ini and add the section mentioned in this post. (Credit to agiantsheep.)
Increase text size: Follow these instructions. (Credit to ??? @ PCGW via Richard Webster.)
Enable downsampling: Open [configuration directory]\Engine.ini and add the section mentioned in this post, adjusting as desired. (Credit to disgraciau.)
Improve ultra-wide support: Install the Ultrawide & Superwide Mod. (Credit to Rose @ PCGW.)
Enable temporal upsampling: Open [configuration directory]\Engine.ini and add the section mentioned in this post. (Credit to agiantsheep.)
Customise visibility of HUD elements: Open [configuration directory]\GameUserSettings.ini and edit the relevant cvars as desired. (Credit to EeK9X.)
Enable ammo HUD fade: Open [configuration directory]\GameUserSettings.ini and edit and change the value of HeldWeaponDisplayMode and HeldWeaponDisplayTextMode to TimedFade and On, respectively. (Credit to Firefly.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Window mode: Fullscreen; Windowed fullscreen; Window
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Frame rate limit: 30fps; 60fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 165fps; 180fps; 200fps; 240fps; Unlimited
Vertical sync: Off/On
3D resolution (internal rendering scale): 33% -> 100% in increments of 1%
Motion blur: 0% -> 100% in increments of 20%
Gamma: Self-explanatory

Graphics quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra; Custom
Screen effects: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
View distance: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Shadows: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Textures: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Visual effects: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the "screen effects" setting affects stuff like chromatic aberration - any tests on what dropping it down to just High changes? Might be nice to get rid of those, and get a bit of a performance bump to boot.

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone getting some really poor frame pacing? It says the game is running at over 100fps, but it doesn't feel like it at all, and is hitching like crazy when I move the mouse.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be playing tonight with a 7700k and 1080ti and will see what I get! Also at 1440p, with a 165hz gsync monitor.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I can't launch the game pass version on PC. If I go to the Xbox App it gives me the option to install (even though I preloaded) and if I just try to launch it from the start bar it does nothing. I tried hitting the install button again, but it shows up in my game list for a couple of seconds and then goes away.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Gamepass version unlocked without a hitch for me.

Windowed Fullscreen doesn't seem to work quite right but the Fullscreen mode allows me to move my cursor over to my other monitors as if it were borderless anyway.

Shadowplay hooked in just fine once I ran the game in fullscreen (my personal preference for screenshots)

Seeming to get about 50-80 fps (mostly outdoors to indoors) running at 4k/ultra on a 2080ti/9900k.

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Gaming laptop specs:
i7 9750H locked at 3.6ghz with a -0.75 undervolt.
RTX 2070 (regular, not max-q)

Running at Ultra @ 1080p, Motion Blur 0%, FoV @ 100
Getting between 85-110fps. Averaging around 90 usually.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So it doesn't seem like it's possible to disable just CA, without also affecting other screen based effects such as bloom, DoF.
CA to medium disables it but it also reduces other effects.

I looked into the config files and usually with UE4 games there's a "Screen Fringe" setting that you can disable to remove CA, but there is none here...it's inherently tied to other screen effects it seems.

What a shame

Last edited:

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Ryzen 1600, 16GB 2666Mhz, GTX 1070
1440p High settings 60-85 fps. In the open fields I have 20 frame drop with just moving the mouse

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass version unlocked without a hitch for me.

Windowed Fullscreen doesn't seem to work quite right but the Fullscreen mode allows me to move my cursor over to my other monitors as if it were borderless anyway.

Shadowplay hooked in just fine once I ran the game in fullscreen (my personal preference for screenshots)

Seeming to get about 50-80 fps (mostly outdoors to indoors) running at 4k/ultra on a 2080ti/9900k.
Thanks for this. I was wondering why the overlay wasn't appearing. Also it's not letting me pick 3440x1440 on Fullscreen. How annoying -_-

EDIT: Oh thank god you can override the resolution in the ini.

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Game has a pretty intense chromatic aberration and it seems to be just grouped with the screen effects setting. Any way I can disable it without removing all the other effects? On the windows store version.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I expected a 4K locked 60 ultra on a 2080 ti lol but I'll fiddle with a few settings.

Dropped shadows and screen effects to very high and it runs great now.
Game looks good though.

Last edited:

jony

Oct 25, 2017
A few interesting settings in the ini:

FPSIndicatorMode=On
FrameRateLimit=120.000000
bUseDynamicResolution=False
FPSLimit=HundredTwenty
CustomFieldOfView=120.000000

_Oni

Oct 28, 2017
Any way to change the UI size? I'm playing on a 4K TV and it's super small. Playing the Gamepass version

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
The game seems to have AA?
Or at least i do not see jaggies.
I could use use a way to turn it off to get that steady 60...

Rezz

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seattle
Haven't been able to find a setting to disable CA :/

On top of that: can't get more than 5 minutes in-game before it crashes to desktop. Guess it's time to play the driver rollback game...yay.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I posted this in the OP: The game doesn't seem to implement widescreen well, there are hitches while exploring, and the CA is aggressive. Otherwise, I'm enjoying it. I'm playing 2560x1440 on my 5120x1440 monitor and I'm getting 110fps with a 1080ti on high settings. I did lower the 'effects' setting to medium to help mitigate the CA while still retaining the lighting effects.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
No way to disable CA without affecting other effects is just fucking mind boggling.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Ok some observation. Setting screen effects below High disables:
1) CA
2) Bokeh
3) Bloom/Lens flare

The game has an absurd amount of CA as is, and when you turn on Time Dilation mode the game turns up CA to 1000%

The time dilation mode with CA
17uIm9T.jpg

The time dilation mode without CA
ohMiGbZ.jpg

I just wish I could disable it individually as I do want Bokeh DoF (which can be enabled from high and increased in quality when going above it) but don't want to enable CA.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to participate in this, but I can't even download the game.

Trying to download this game on PC and am running into an issue. It will only let me download it onto my SSD and not my HDD. When I try to select the HDD I get a message that reads, "For this game, choose a drive that's formatted as NTFS." Went to properties and sure enough the HDD is NTFS. I'm not having this issue anywhere else. Any ideas?

FlareMW

Aug 2, 2018
So it doesn't seem like it's possible to disable just CA, without also affecting other screen based effects such as bloom, DoF.
CA to medium disables it but it also reduces other effects.

I looked into the config files and usually with UE4 games there's a "Screen Fringe" setting that you can disable to remove CA, but there is none here...it's inherently tied to other screen effects it seems.

What a shame
If you go back into the config files area you'll find one called Scalability.ini which lets you adjust the main presets. You can add a colorfringe entry yourself and disable it while leaving the other effects alone.

This is what it should look like:

[PostProcessQuality@0] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
[PostProcessQuality@1] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
[PostProcessQuality@2] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
[PostProcessQuality@3] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

That'll disable it for each overall quality setting.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone happen to know already if we can export the saves from the Winstore version to, for example, use them in the EGS version?

If I call correctly, the Metro Exodus saves were incompatible.

Rezz

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seattle
Yikes...the subreddit is filled with crashing posts. Guess I'll wait a week until we get a proper launch build.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If you go back into the config files area you'll find one called Scalability.ini which lets you adjust the main presets. You can add a colorfringe entry yourself and disable it while leaving the other effects alone.

This is what it should look like:

[PostProcessQuality@0] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
[PostProcessQuality@1] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
[PostProcessQuality@2] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
[PostProcessQuality@3] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

That'll disable it for each overall quality setting.
Thanks this worked

EDIT: Wait, it didn't

Last edited: