• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Self-promotion across multiple posts and threads
The second episode of my walkthrough/TV series, Adventures of the Outer Worlds, is out!

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
My big issue about 25 hours in, just leaving Monarch, is that character and companion perks are super standard and boring. I don't get excited about leveling up and getting a new perk at all.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
My big issue about 25 hours in, just leaving Monarch, is that character and companion perks and super standard and boring. I don't get excited about leveling up and getting a new perk at all.

Sums up leveling experience in TOW sadly, uninteresting and doesn't excite you in slightest. Every perk is so boring and safe design.

Jan 10, 2018
Just watched a build guide that said that increasing sneak stats affected your gun damage. But I was under the impression that it only affected melee damage?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
So switching to Story difficulty mode has made me do a complete 180 on the game. Loving it so far and honestly I think I might end up doing all of the side quests I come across, which I rarely ever do.

My only complaint at the moment is inventory management. I honestly have no idea how to even tackle it. Any time I go to a vendor I sell junk, but I'm still sitting with tons of stuff I don't have any idea how to use or why.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Well, just about to leave Monarch and my thoughts so far:

The game is such a bewildering mix of good and bad (for me).

1. Wow, I'm in space, with seemingly endless new worlds to explore > actually, no, the game is sectioned off into small areas and there's no real sense of scale or sense of wonder or curiosity when it comes to exploration.

2. Companions are awesome, with deep personalities, voice acting, and back-stories > but...we're not going to really give you the opportunity to take those stories in any meaningful or deep direction.

3. Combat is fun, gun elements mix up combat, mods and tinkering give you some fun to customize > there are only a handful of weapon types and besides the elements, they're not very interesting to use other than the handful of Science weapons.

4. Leveling up and perks are lame and boring, for you and your companions.

5. Hilarious dialogue and voice acting. The Martin conversation was incredible. Really can't say anything bad about these features.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Even with the balance flaws I am still really enjoying this game. I really hope that Obsidian is reading this thread and I hope they react to some of the issues that to me should be easily fixed. Not just bugs, but some balance stuff.

For example, the loot is just WAY too much. Cut it in half. Increase the cost to tinker as you are swimming in money and can OP your character. Reduce the amount of hacking items so hacking is really something that people invest into...it is just too easy. Supernova minus the perma death would be welcomed.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Monarch was easily the worst part of the game and sadly also the longest. The companions were good, not Bioware good but I never expected that. The writing was incredibly one-note and fairly weightless. The combat was somehow both easy and tedious, with guns completely lacking any punch. Overall I'd say The Outer Worlds just made me want to replay the games that inspired it.

Here's hoping Obsidian does something more memorable with their next game.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
For example, the loot is just WAY too much. Cut it in half. Increase the cost to tinker as you are swimming in money and can OP your character. Reduce the amount of hacking items so hacking is really something that people invest into...it is just too easy. Supernova minus the perma death would be welcomed.

Yeah the loot is ridiculous so many yellow boxes with 20x light ammo and 20x heavy ammo why? Less boxes more ammo plz
Anytime there is a skill to make the looting less annoying - why? Just make it less annoying by default

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Finished it. Monarch was easily the worst part of the game and sadly also the longest. The companions were good, not Bioware good but I never expected that. The writing was incredibly one-note and fairly weightless. The combat was somehow both easy and tedious, with guns completely lacking any punch. Overall I'd say The Outer Worlds just made me want to replay the games that inspired it.

Here's hoping Obsidian does something more memorable with their next game.
It makes want to reinstall New Vegas and play it all over again (which is no problem at all). I'm enjoying it, but it is lacking in areas.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
New Vegas has been sitting in my Steam library for I don't know how many years. Have never played it though. Going through the whole modding process seems scary. I wish they had remastered it.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Already into my second playthrough with a solo gunslinger, and here I thought I'd make a dent in my backlog. Should be more challenging, since the lone wolf perks don't have a bonus to damage resistance like in Fallout 4.

Leaving Parvati behind was just... it's sad. Going to be talking to her machines and eating gross ass saltuna til the end of her days. 😭

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
New Vegas has been sitting in my Steam library for I don't know how many years. Have never played it though. Going through the whole modding process seems scary. I wish they had remastered it.

While personally I go mod crazy with New Vegas (I'm pushing the upward bounds of the mod limit), it plays fine vanilla* and it's not hard at all to install some additional qol improvements, unofficial patches, and visual improvements and just leave it at that if you want.

*If you like survival type stuff in games then at least install the jesawyer mod even if you don't add anything else.

New Vegas is one of my top 3 games of the century. It's so worth playing.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
While personally I go mod crazy with New Vegas (I'm pushing the upward bounds of the mod limit), it plays fine vanilla* and it's not hard at all to install some additional qol improvements, unofficial patches, and visual improvements and just leave it at that if you want.

*If you like survival type stuff in games then at least install the jesawyer mod even if you don't add anything else.

New Vegas is one of my top 3 games of the century. It's so worth playing.
Might finally do that after finishing The Outer Worlds and Disco Elysium. Should have enough time before Red Dead Redemption 2 is up on Steam.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
game has kinda gotten worse for me as I've gone on. its definitely good, but the lack of interesting weapon/loot stuff has kinda been a big turn off for me. still a very solid 8/10 though because the writing has been pretty decent and its fun to actually play, just wish there was more stuff going on and more variety.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Gosh! Gosh! Gosh!

This game is total comfort food. I recognize the flaws folks are bringing up, however...I just love it. I'm taking my time, reading all the journals, chatting with everyone and just love being in this world. It look gorgeous, runs silky smooth on an X, and the up-close dialog animations (from the older Bethesda games like F3 and Oblivion) and just fantastic! I know people loved that it was removed from Skyrim and all Bethesda games going forward, but I've missed it. It's a small thing, but a small thing I love. :)

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
Not very far in and already losing interest. The guns have no weight, combat is so incredibley easy even on SuperNova difficulty. I've bought a long range sniper from a really early vending machine and nothing is a challenge as of yet. I saw Cohh on Twitch using a long range gun near the end of the game and it literally looks the exact same as what im doing now in the first zone. I'll decide whether or not i should keep playing when I leave this area, I guess.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
finally finished the game around 23 hrs

7/10 at best. too easy, too much loot, boring areas, writing was so so and the whole affair was way too safe.

started promising but took a complete nosedive for me. i would say that this game is definitely overrated and when the honeymoon is over many people will be souring on it.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019

7/10 at best. too easy, too much loot, boring areas, writing was so so and the whole affair was way too safe.

started promising but took a complete nosedive for me. i would say this game is definitely overrated and when the honeymoon is over many people will be souring on it.
This is me as well, the game feels average to me in most areas, the loot is horrid, it gets boring, combat is a chore for the most part, no challenge.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
How can I get the special weapon from Gladys without hacking the safe/killing everyone?
Also a quick way to complete the clothes quest

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The funny thing is...this game got me craving a good Fallout game or something in this style with a bigger world/more content.

was even looking into buying Fallout 4 with all DLC today but quickly closed the browser window before making a mistake...maybe i will play Fallout 3 on the One till Death Stranding releases

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

started promising but took a complete nosedive for me. i would say that this game is definitely overrated and when the honeymoon is over many people will be souring on it.
Dare I say it's the emperor's new clothes?

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
The budget limitation of the game really shows in some place (combat, loot) but the writing, world building and quest design are done extremely well done. I firmly believe that with MS budget behind outerworlds 2 they can finally surpres new vegas.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
The writing and tone of the game feels really off for me. Perhaps some of that was in the expectations. Was expecting something a bit more grounded and less outright goofy and heavy handed. More Firefly, less Space Quest.

Like everything about the corps is so one note evil, it's eye rolling every time I read yet another journal entry that shows their callous disregard for their employees. Feels too much like knockoff vault tek.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Are there any attributes checks that needs "very high" in perception? I'm trying to create a character, but it's annoying that you can only have 3 average and 3 high. I know there are a lot of perception dialogue checks and i don't want to have some locked away. I'm trying to make a "dialogue build", because i really hate when dialogue options are locked.

And if i make my perception "very high" then i will miss out on intelligence or charm.

Anyone else who have made a "dialogue build"?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm enjoying this the more I play. Just 5 hours in doing side quests and chatting to folk.

Dislike the small font and menus. Also why can't I compare what I have equipped to the items in the shop to see if it's better? Gunplay isn't exactly great either.

But overall I like it overall.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The builds and skill points are completely shallow in this. Most locked doors, if you can't lock pick them super easy, have a fucking key literally sitting right next to them like that medical quest on groundbreaker.

The quest where you also have to get into the security place had the ID tag just sitting right next to the entrance. Make it so you need the pickpocket skill and smart positioning to steal it off a worker or something ffs.

I don't even pick up loot anymore. I just grab weapons and armors to break down for parts.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Playing on PS4. Is there any way to turn off the item descriptions that pop up when you highlight an item when you're in your inventory?

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I stole everything from Gladys safe and I killed her to check her body (loaded afterwards) and there was no nav key. Is the only way to get it really that I have to buy it from her?

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I was convinced that i hated WRPG but this little game has turned me into a fan, it's perfect for a beginner like me And being offered with gamepass for next to nothing is almost a steal.
I'm definitely gonna check obsidian's other games.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I stole everything from Gladys safe and I killed her to check her body (loaded afterwards) and there was no nav key. Is the only way to get it really that I have to buy it from her?
the money really isn't difficult to get, just do a few sidequests and sell crap that you lockpick and pickpocket.

Oct 27, 2017
So switching to Story difficulty mode has made me do a complete 180 on the game. Loving it so far and honestly I think I might end up doing all of the side quests I come across, which I rarely ever do.

My only complaint at the moment is inventory management. I honestly have no idea how to even tackle it. Any time I go to a vendor I sell junk, but I'm still sitting with tons of stuff I don't have any idea how to use or why.

Can you elaborate on how the story difficulty mode has improved the experience for you? Is it because you can now roll through all of the enemies, and focus more on the quests/conversation side of the game?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on how the story difficulty mode has improved the experience for you? Is it because you can now roll through all of the enemies, and focus more on the quests/conversation side of the game?
Yep. A few days ago I posted how the combat was just kicking my butt. Constantly getting killed and reloading. Now I can just focus on immersion of the world and story and quests and dialogue. I'm still finding the combat pretty fun but I'm no longer stressed about getting killed every encounter. Once I level up some more I might bump it up to normal and see how I fare.