• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate question, y'all:

Handguns or long guns? I've been sticking with handguns so far, the bolter pistol seems to be the legit shit, especially with a muzzler for sneaking, but uh, I'm running out of energy ammo.

Long guns seem to have a lot more variety to them.

Been using long guns and it has been pretty fun so far. At least at the first hub, there does seem to be more variety in long guns as well. Though the difficulty dropped quite noticeably once I got my hands on a scoped sniper rifle. Been switching between that an assault rifle and a shotgun.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
would companions suffer from lack of ammo or it doesn't apply to them
i want to give them good weapons but maybe they lack the ammo.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been using long guns and it has been pretty fun so far. At least at the first hub, there does seem to be more variety in long guns as well. Though the difficulty dropped quite noticeably once I got my hands on a scoped sniper rifle. Been switching between that an assault rifle and a shotgun.

I found that the scopes sniper becomes useless after first planet. The hunting rifle ultra even tinkered is too slow. It needs more power and crit to compete.
They may need to tweak its stats so that it's still viable later

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was gonna hold off buying this, but I saw I have $10 in PlayStation Store credit, so I redeemed that and will buy it later! Woot! Should be finished downloading by the time I get home from work tonight.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Got home and wasn't happy with what I created at 1am, plus I had a better idea of my build after playing a couple hours. Much happier with the second attempt.

photopictureresizer_1z3k0u.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how I completely missed all news about this game until like 2 days ago and now I'm crazy hyped and buying today.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest problem so far is the permanent companion death. They have the survival instincts of a puppy so you basically need to keep them out of any extended firefight--and any direct fire at all--for them to survive. You're babysitting them 100% of the time.

If the risk of them dying is so high anyway, you may as well just ignore them and go for a Lone Wolf sneaker/sniper build. I figured they would be a liability (to my sanity) on Supernova, I just went with Hard the first time for their dialogue.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Got this face from random generation. Seems pretty good so I made a punk rock chick out of her. Thought I'd share.

nJnPiR3.png

xGIu8b1.png

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Holy shit mapping holster to the same button as interacting is infuriating. Every time I talk with someone or press something I pull my gun out. How was this not an issue while play testing.
This is fucking ridiculous to be honest, taking me out of the game. It was one of the few complaints of the initial reveal footage and it's baffling to see it in the final product.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The raging anti-capitalism message in this game is amazing and I'm only like an hour in so far.
Game is great.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Game went from good to great once I got a couple more weapons to choose from. At first with the pee shooter I wasn't have a great time but now that I got a couple other better options, it's getting there. Still impressed how well it plays on PC, I was worried I'd have to tone it down a bit.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Does changing the AI behaviors for companions help at all? I have been toying with doing a playthrough on the highest difficulty but companions drop like flies on normal and I don't want to deal with permadeath. Going lone wolf is an option.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Got this face from random generation. Seems pretty good so I made a punk rock chick out of her. Thought I'd share.

nJnPiR3.png

xGIu8b1.png

Kind of reminds me of this:
Lisbeth-Salander-Millennium-Rapace-Mara.jpg

I found that the scopes sniper becomes useless after first planet. The hunting rifle ultra even tinkered is too slow. It needs more power and crit to compete.
They may need to tweak its stats so that it's still viable later

How far have you been tinkering, and have you raised Science at all? I ended up turning my hunting rifle into corrosive damage, and it's been headsploding left and right still, and I've been off the first planet a while now.

The jokes are amazing, this is probably the most funny & charming game I've played this year, it makes Borderlands 3 look like a dumb edgy teenager in comparison.

That's because this game doesn't rely on meme humor. Also, Borderlands 3 already looked like a dumb, edgy teenager all by its lonesome.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
First impressions a couple hours in, control is great (nothing fancy but at least it's simple and responsive) and visuals are nice and clean (PS4 Pro).

I turned off the interaction outline as it makes for a better, more immersive experience. It forces you to pay more attention as well.

Not sure how I like the aesthetic in this game, I absolutely love the western vibe of Edge Water but I absolutely hate the outdoors.
The rocks, trees and animals in this game reminds me of No Man's Sky. Everything in the wild are consist of simple, colorful designs that feels fake and dreamy

The jokes are amazing, this is probably the most funny & charming game I've played this year, it makes Borderlands 3 look like a dumb edgy teenager in comparison.

The dialogue system is absolutely incredible, pardon me cause I haven't played New Vegas but this is way beyond any RPG game I've ever played.
IMO They did the right thing making us mute because it makes the dialogue so much more flexible and creative.

This whole Obsidian hype...I think I get it now.

Last edited:

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far I'm loving this game, it's one of the few games that's actually made me laugh in quite a while, the writer's are amazing.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of reminds me of this:
Lisbeth-Salander-Millennium-Rapace-Mara.jpg

How far have you been tinkering, and have you raised Science at all? I ended up turning my hunting rifle into corrosive damage, and it's been headsploding left and right still, and I've been off the first planet a while now.

Yeah too bad they don't let you do piercings.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking ridiculous to be honest, taking me out of the game. It was one of the few complaints of the initial reveal footage and it's baffling to see it in the final product.

I've found that lightly tapping the interact button will prevent you from raising your weapon but it doesn't work all the time. Still though it's ridiculous that this was an issue known since the reveal and it wasn't fixed.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying this game so much, the writing is so on point. Absolutely hilarious at times, it's just refreshing to play something that feels like the story is comprehensive.

Decision early really do feel like they have consequences.

Obsidian are easily my favourite studio right now.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I've found that lightly tapping the interact button will prevent you from raising your weapon but it doesn't work all the time. Still though it's ridiculous that this was an issue known since the reveal and it wasn't fixed.
I'm hoping it's a bug, playing on an Xbox One. If I hold in X to interact with my gun holstered it seems to stay in place, but quicker (normal) button presses triggers the aim. Seems like it should be the other way around, or just use RT to aim and X to holster.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh damn, I got sucked into this game yesterday. XD Love the setting and humor here.

Is there only 6 companions in the game, or are there more and 6 is the maximum you can have at a time? I like Parvati quite a bit especially so far with her character and companion quest.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
So I found a rifle and silently take out an enemy in a group, then all the audio drops out. Anyone else have this issue?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
This game is so good. Playing at max settings 93% resolution scaling and locked 4k60 on my 2080ti. If I run at 100% certain areas will drop down to ~57fps. 93% scale looks identical to native 4k on my 65" nu8000. Damn it looks good.

Having a blast playing this!

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Biggest problem so far is the permanent companion death. They have the survival instincts of a puppy so you basically need to keep them out of any extended firefight--and any direct fire at all--for them to survive. You're babysitting them 100% of the time.

I got zero issues with my companions in Supernova, in fact I gave Pavarti pristine gear and good modded weapons, she's doing a damn good job. If you don't know how to pick up a fight tho that's another story

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone worked out how to get the xbox app or store to download this? It just gets stuck at 220mb each time

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Played 5 hours of this last night and just finished rerouting the power. I chose rerouting to Edgewater and then managed to convince Reed to step down.

Having so much fun with this game

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
for what its worth, amazon.de lists shipping the game as in "1-3weeks". seems physical is understocked in general.

Yeah I got a shipping delay myself. I had it pre-ordered since September 23rd and yesterday prior to release I was sent an email from Best Buy that my shipment was delayed and they would cancel it for me if I don't receive an update by November 20th.

Getting a game almost a full month after release especially when you order it decent time in advance seems a bit unacceptable, but I guess the publisher undersold the demand this game would have. Oh well.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
For the people having problems with the text size, I saw on Reddit a tip to use the Xbox magnifying option. It'll help.

But I expect they'll patch that, Witcher 3 had this problem at launch as well.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of stuttering and hitches on base Xbox One. Any PS Pro 4 performance impressions? I might buy it there because I get headaches from FP mode with bad framerate so might buy there.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i just love that you can kill *anyone*, for any reason you want, Morrowind-style.

for e.g. they may even have a unique weapon/armour if it's a story/quest character.
for e.g constable reyes, who has a unique weapon called Peacekeeper. You could pickpocket it or kill her, but then no more bounty missions for you for the latter lol.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Cool I was afraid towns would be quite.

They're not like super bustling so far, (Edgewater), and the NPC banter is fairly simple phrases (some of which repeat), but that is mostly a result of the budget and the base console limitations of this game.

That's one thing I'd love to see expanded in an eventual bigger-budget, next-gen sequel. Like what we saw in the original Cyberpunk preview on the city street.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
They're not like super bustling so far, (Edgewater), and the NPC banter is fairly simple phrases (some of which repeat), but that is mostly a result of the budget and the base console limitations of this game.

That's one thing I'd love to see expanded in an eventual bigger-budget, next-gen sequel. Like what we saw in the original Cyberpunk preview on the city street.
That would be sweet.