• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Some good getting started tips on reddit

Like this gem:
Deselect "See Base Item Stats"
By default The Outer Worlds is set to show you the base stats of your Weapons and Armor, not what they are when they are affected by your Attributes, Skills and Perks. This means that some weapons may be much better for you than what you are using, but you might not be able to see that visually. It's strongly advised that you untick this box, so that you can see the impact your character build is having on your weapon selection. Maybe there is a better choice of weapon and you just don't know it!

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
So I only got to play for about 45 mins last night, so these answers might become clearer soon, but..

How attached to the attributes I set on the character creation am I in terms of playstyle? I had no idea how I wanted to approach the game at that point so I'm curious if I can naturally make my way towards another path via conversation choices / actions or what.

Also, that's one of the best intros I've seen for a game in years. So perfectly executed the whole way through.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brad from giant bomb must be the least skilled gamer alive. I'm just as old as him, never been great at games, and I am not finding Hard to be nearly as hard as he described on the bombcast. I almost picked Normal because of him saying it's kind of a struggle early on...

Game is very good btw

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this is one of the most classy game coverarts i´ve seen for a long time, the golden font and how they printed the title is gorgeous. the key art is also awesome. it really looks great

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Brad from giant bomb must be the least skilled gamer alive. I'm just as old as him, never been great at games, and I am not finding Hard to be nearly as hard as he described on the bombcast. I almost picked Normal because of him saying it's kind of a struggle early on...

Game is very good btw

I am wary of such voices because of stuff like this. So often I read/hear stuff from people who have a platform that is unlike my experience, or just flat out wrong. Not to say they shouldn't be listened to, ofc, but just highlights how tricksy our discussion could be if it relies on certain people too much. Just like with any set of critics etc I guess.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
loving the RPG experience in the game so much. the whole design of the game feels like all the best parts of KOTOR2 and NV design

I have missed having an AAA RPG where I can think up a character to play, and actually be able to play it, because of all the RPG mechanics that allow me to do so. I haven't played one that allows me to do that to my satisfaction since New Vegas.

also love how you can obtain a perk/flaw through gameplay/RPG actions.
The only flaw I encountered so far was one that makes you stupider because of head trama. I got it after I stepped onto mines like fifteen times so I guess I deserved it lol. i didn't take it because my character is supposed to be a smooth talker not a dummy.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Every time I boot it up on my X I'm absolute blown away by how freaking good the combination of the crystal clear, 100% aliasing free, super sampling looks with the fantastic lighting and the always extremely sharp textures.
It's such a fantastic look.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Does armour work the same way for players as it does enemies? Just straight damage reduction?

Game is very good btw
I'm on Supernova and it's not that hard either. But I do see what he means--the encounters can escalate really quickly, so if you're not getting the drop on folks it's easy to be overwhelmed. And stronger enemies, like those rock monsters, can do so easily.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Only slept for four hours but i had dreams about the game. i havent even left for work and i cant wait to get home. i thought Classic had me lol

So im still in the first area and pacifist supernova is coming along just fine. i was a little bit worried that killing might be unavoidable but after stealthing through the community center i sure its possible.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This game is good, but it feels remarkably dated. I mean we are at the end of 2019 with new consoles coming a year from now, and to get a new WRPG like this with PS3/360 era design and animations is just very underwhelming.

I still very much like it, but Obsidian have to really step up their game with their next larger project (I know they also try to handle smaller ones on the side). The game had a limited budget so hopefully MS fixes that if they make a sequel.

You really have to pick your poison when it comes to Obisidian games. Do you want a fleshed out world with a lot of choice and consequences, or do you want something that looks a lot nicer, might have better combat but just ends up like every other fetch quest RPG? Because you can't have both. Not even Bioware has been able to do that. There always seems to be a problem too: budget, being rushed or just taking too long in general and having to get an incomplete project out. If Microsoft actually gives them a Bethesda sized budget and the time they need (which includes a delay or five), we'll see if they can actually make an "AAA" RPG, but with their style, not everyone else's.

This is the biggest difficulty, they are morons and you can't take their melee weapons away so unless you set them passive they have a tendency to run at the enemy and die, even with the ranged engagement profile set. I spend more time worrying about the companions than I do about myself.

I just treat them as an alpha strike. If they go down after that, oh well.

Depends on the build, and it can be somewhat hard early on. Like the first forty-five minutes...
Once you find a plasma gun and a hunting rifle it's kind of trivial until you leave the first planet.

The game only shows you dialog you have a high chance of succeeding with by default

So how do you have a chance to succeed with dialogue that shows the skill requirement and is also locked out?

Last edited:

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how is the game folks? What are your initial impressions? I am hesitant to buy because I dont have time but since BL3 newest patch pretty much destroyed my character I am thinking about picking it up.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So on the PC version, I can't seem to load any of my saves. Saving and loading worked fine last night, and I can see where my saves are located on my pc, but the game isn't detecting them for some reason. When I'm at the start screen, I don't get an option to load the game. Anyone else run into this issue?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how is the game folks? What are your initial impressions? I am hesitant to buy because I dont have time but since BL3 newest patch pretty much destroyed my character I am thinking about picking it up.

For me, really solid, feels like Obsidian at their best. I'm still on the first planet though, and I hear the game isn't "open world" but more "large hubs" but so far the first "hub" area and environs feel substantial and packed with points of interest.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
God I hope people buy this game. People need to show Bethesda whats up.
I buy a PS5 version that has all the issues fixed (like tiny text) and hopefully runs in 60fps.

Not buying late generation games that are too ambitious for the current consoles anymore, when the PS5 is around the corner.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Loving it. There is so much shit to loot in the first area, it's ridiculous. So glad I invested in lockpicking

Oct 26, 2017

Depends on you.

If you can pass over dated graphics and "ok" combat and you like actual RPG progression, player choice and branching dialogues it's a must buy.
If you don't like the latter and you prefer good combat just avoid the game.

I buy a PS5 version that has all the issues fixed (like tiny text) and hopefully runs in 60fps.

Not sure The Outer Worlds will come to PS5 if MS and T2 will reach a deal for publishing rights and at the same time, Obsidian by being owned by Microsoft won't work on the PS5 version of The Outer Worlds even if the publishing rights will remain on T2 hands.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
From the start, it's a pretty game but not amazing looking. It's not open world but feels a little more dense in terms of stuff. Everything is close, not too much wandering for miles to find things.

One of the highlights is the story and dialogue options. Really damn good and I am only a small amount in. Without spoiling, I will say you get some options that really make you think. I guess it depends on what role you play but I found it far more interesting and engaging than any of the Fallout games.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So on the PC version, I can't seem to load any of my saves. Saving and loading worked fine last night, and I can see where my saves are located on my pc, but the game isn't detecting them for some reason. When I'm at the start screen, I don't get an option to load the game. Anyone else run into this issue?
Shot in the dark, but by chance are you using a different Windows account? Or Microsoft account (for Game Pass)? It's possible that the MS Store binds them to a specific user account/MS account combo.

Other than that, sounds like you should report it to the devs. That is a HUGE glitch. They might even have a fix for you.

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
The game runs and plays great on my PC! Loving it so far.

How are you guys building your character? I've been putting everything into ranged combat and science lol. I'm a little lost.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You really have to pick your poison when it comes to Obisidian games. Do you want a fleshed out world with a lot of choice and consequences, or do you want something that looks a lot nicer, might have better combat but just ends up like every other fetch quest RPG? Because you can't have both. Not even Bioware has been able to do that. There always seems to be a problem too: budget, being rushed or just taking too long in general and having to get an incomplete project out. If Microsoft actually gives them a Bethesda sized budget and the time they need (which includes a delay or five), we'll see if they can actually make an "AAA" RPG, but with their style, not everyone else's.

I can tell you one thing, it won't be a Bethesda sized budget. Those games are made to sell like 20 million copies with no difficulty. Obsidian can reach a middle ground though. Their games do not have to be massive (and maybe we should accept that they probably never will be for lots of reasons), but they can do a better job immersing the player with better animations and stronger, actually fun combat.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving this game so far, it really is the 'sequel' to New Vegas I always wanted. Dialog options are very well done, and it seems like there are a bunch of skill checks beyond the basic 'persuade' like intelligence, engineering, medical, science, etc. I'm only about 3-4 hours in and I know I'll be doing multiple playthrouhs with different character builds.

Playing on PC and I think the presentation and art direction are great. Some very smart use of colors to create otherworldly looking places, it's very much a 'pulp 50s sci-fi novel cover' come to life. Calling the graphics 'dated' I suppose may be technically correct, but I think it looks wonderful altogether.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
In Supernova, you can only save on your ship? And there is no fast travel at all?

Also, is it easy enough to find food and water? In my hard playthrough, I've found a ton of food but barely any water.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
In Supernova, you can only save on your ship? And there is no fast travel at all?

Also, is it easy enough to find food and water? In my hard playthrough, I've found a ton of food but barely any water.
On my normal playthrough. I was looking around for water just in case I wanted to try supernova. Not a single bottle of water. :/

Fuck that.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Really want this game..... It sounds like everything I'd hoped it would be...

Do go for game pass or EGS... Neither is an option I'd pick ordinarily...

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on you.

If you can pass over dated graphics and "ok" combat and you like actual RPG progression, player choice and branching dialogues it's a must buy.
If you don't like the latter and you prefer good combat just avoid the game.

Its an Obsidian game and I kinda know what to expect from it. I love RPG's and I enjoyed New Vegas. Would you say combat is as good (or bad whichever way you want to say it) as New Vegas? I feel like VATS was used solely to side step the shitty wonky combat in Fallout games. How is this game without it?

I enjoy dialogue that matters. I do not enjoy long winded stories about the NPC's brothers step-sisters wedding's dinner. If you catch my drift.

From the start, it's a pretty game but not amazing looking. It's not open world but feels a little more dense in terms of stuff. Everything is close, not too much wandering for miles to find things.

One of the highlights is the story and dialogue options. Really damn good and I am only a small amount in. Without spoiling, I will say you get some options that really make you think. I guess it depends on what role you play but I found it far more interesting and engaging than any of the Fallout games.

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 because of the exploration factor. I dont think I ever finished the story (it wasnt compelling) but I did enjoy the little settlements that I ran across and their stories. Does this game have exploration? I know you said that its dense but smaller but do you feel like there is a sense of exploration or just "I need to go from point A to B"? I mean a map size does not equate to good exploration (something I wish Bethesda realized). Basically, are you finding reasons to go out of the beaten path to find out what is around the corner?

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
So, I'm about 5 and a half hours in... and i have some questions.

I'm playing on xbox.
Is there a way to place waypoints on the map?
Is there a way to open the menu direct to map?
Is there a third person option?
Do we get more attribute points later on?
Is there an option to mark all codex entries as read?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The game runs and plays great on my PC! Loving it so far.

How are you guys building your character? I've been putting everything into ranged combat and science lol. I'm a little lost.
Dude same here

The typical "fallout build" with sneak, perception (guns) and lockpick/hacking. Oh and a bit of charisma! I was going to decrease that stat that makes you not recover HP because I feel I didn't need it.

Edit: this game looks great on PC on everything maxes out!!! I'm also playing on my 4k hdTV with my dual shock 4

Oct 26, 2017
Its an Obsidian game and I kinda know what to expect from it. I love RPG's and I enjoyed New Vegas. Would you say combat is as good (or bad whichever way you want to say it) as New Vegas? I feel like VATS was used solely to side step the shitty wonky combat in Fallout games. How is this game without it?

The combat is a little better than New Vegas but still woky, and there's "a bullet time" with a cooldown instead of the classic VATS.

I enjoy dialogue that matters. I do not enjoy long winded stories about the NPC's brothers step-sisters wedding's dinner. If you catch my drift.

So far dialogues are good, they are not filler content and they are pretty funny, in perfect Obsidian style.
I only played 3-5 hours, not a lot tho.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Survival mode worked well in FO4 because you could save at beds. Beds were almost like bonfires in Dark Souls, spread out but found often enough to make it plausible to not have to backtrack a huge distance to save.

If I need to huff it back to my spaceship every time I want to save I think I'll have to pass. Especially with permenent companion death which would make me load a save any time that happened .

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat is a little better than New Vegas but still woky, and there's "a bullet time" with a cooldown instead of the classic VATS.

So far dialogues are good, they are not filler content and they are pretty funny, in perfect Obsidian style.
I only played 3-5 hours, not a lot tho.
Gotcha appreciate the feedback.

BluePhoneBox

Oct 30, 2017
Apologies if this has already been asked, but...

In the Time Dilation/VATS system, is there a way to "queue up" shots and let the game handle the actual shooting, like with Fallout 3/4?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Played 2 hours or so and it's SO GOOD. Goddamn does this scratch the Fallout itch and then some. Really good voice acting and dialogue so far, too.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
for people wanting to get the highlight perk (which is tier two and takes a while) theres an armor mod that does something similar

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Dude same here

The typical "fallout build" with sneak, perception (guns) and lockpick/hacking. Oh and a bit of charisma! I was going to decrease that stat that makes you not recover HP because I feel I didn't need it.

Edit: this game looks great on PC on everything maxes out!!! I'm also playing on my 4k hdTV with my dual shock 4

Haha glad I'm not the only one! I'll probably just wing it and put it in whatever this first playthrough then. I'm playing on hard.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shot in the dark, but by chance are you using a different Windows account? Or Microsoft account (for Game Pass)? It's possible that the MS Store binds them to a specific user account/MS account combo.

Other than that, sounds like you should report it to the devs. That is a HUGE glitch. They might even have a fix for you.
So I figured out my own fix but it is still an issue that probably needs resolved. If you launch the game offline on the xbox app (which I apparently did even though I was signed in) then any save you make is tied locally to your machine and not your account. So if you sign in properly later on your saves will not show up on your account. You have to sign out of the app and launch the game that way to get your saves to show back up. It seems as though local saves and cloud saves are done different (probably to deter cheat engine stuff) but there is no way to move a local save online to use with your account. Thankfully I didn't actually lose my progress and since there isn't cross saves I don't mind having to use the workaround too much but I still reached out to Obsidian just in case.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
About three hours in, and I'm enjoying the game immensely. Now that the studio is being bankrolled by Microsoft, I'm really excited to see what Obsidian does next.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
My friend told me he's loving it and it also feels like a finished game. In the sense of polish. He said there haven't been any bugs at all so far. Which is damn good news, because Obsidian isn't exactly the best when it comes to that. Well, the past that is. New Vegas come to mind, good lord, I've never had so many crashes and freezes.